Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Old Food related Marketing Gimmicks

Aside from the Jolly Green Giant fabric doll my mom got for me
(different thread) and an avocado-print bikini, I remember *this* little
toy from when I was about 4 years old:

http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/box509.jpg

It's a plastic snap-together Woody the Woodpecker knock on the door door
knocker. Mom put it on my bedroom door. It probably came out of a
cereal box. Hopefully she didn't collect and mail off box tops.

The entire site is a hoot! Different promotional items from way back when.

http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/kelloggs2.html

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 13:07:14 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Aside from the Jolly Green Giant fabric doll my mom got for me
>(different thread) and an avocado-print bikini, I remember *this* little
>toy from when I was about 4 years old:
>
>http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/box509.jpg
>
>It's a plastic snap-together Woody the Woodpecker knock on the door door
>knocker. Mom put it on my bedroom door. It probably came out of a
>cereal box. Hopefully she didn't collect and mail off box tops.
>
>The entire site is a hoot! Different promotional items from way back when.
>
>http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/kelloggs2.html
>
>Jill

I was hoping they had my cowboy boot decoder ring with the magnifying
lens on top and the code paper inside the boot. Loved that. Don't
know what happened to it.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/7/2014 1:07 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Aside from the Jolly Green Giant fabric doll my mom got for me
> (different thread) and an avocado-print bikini, I remember *this* little
> toy from when I was about 4 years old:
>
> http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/box509.jpg
>
> It's a plastic snap-together Woody the Woodpecker knock on the door door
> knocker. Mom put it on my bedroom door. It probably came out of a
> cereal box. Hopefully she didn't collect and mail off box tops.
>
> The entire site is a hoot! Different promotional items from way back when.
>
> http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/kelloggs2.html
>
> Jill

Oooh, I like this little old toy:

http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/pre505.jpg

A balloon-powered plastic "locomotive". Only 25 cents!

How about the bicycle contest ad?

http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/box1092.jpg

I just love looking at this old stuff. Cereal box toys or comic book
contests. What the heck, it's sort of food related. Sponsored by
Kellogg's.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The best has to be Poppey and spinach.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Helpful person > wrote:
> The best has to be Poppey and spinach.

Poppey?

That's Mister Popeye to you, junior.

- kuk kuk kuk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Aside from the Jolly Green Giant fabric doll my mom got for me (different
> thread) and an avocado-print bikini, I remember *this* little toy from
> when I was about 4 years old:
>
> http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/box509.jpg
>
> It's a plastic snap-together Woody the Woodpecker knock on the door door
> knocker. Mom put it on my bedroom door. It probably came out of a cereal
> box. Hopefully she didn't collect and mail off box tops.
>
> The entire site is a hoot! Different promotional items from way back
> when.
>
> http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/kelloggs2.html

I had the Woody Woodpecker thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Alpha Bits has the coolest prizes. The baking soda-powered submarines
> and the terrariums, for example. They were educational toys - not
> advertising the latest cartoons, movies, or boy bands.
>
> -sw

They are selling the submarines again but they are not cheap now!