Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food causing blisters on tongue?

Does anyone have this happen to them? Daughter and I will get it from fresh
pineapple but never the canned. From what I have read, the fresh pineapple
thing is pretty common.

And I have heard of people having trouble with tomatoes. SIL says she has
trouble with hothouse ones but never vine ripened.

I used to have the problem from walnuts and pecans but not now. The weird
one though was potato chips. No other chips caused this. As a child and
even a young adult, the tiniest bite of a potato chip would cause extreme
discomfort so I avoided them. Bro said he still has problems with those
nuts and also potato chips. Although potato chips are not a favorite food,
I can eat them now with no blisters.

I can see how the pineapple and tomatoes could have acid or something. And
perhaps the nuts are some sort of allergy or OAS. But the chips? What
could cause this?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:05:02 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> Does anyone have this happen to them? Daughter and I will get it from fresh
>
> pineapple but never the canned. From what I have read, the fresh pineapple
>
> thing is pretty common.

I detest the flavor of cooked (or canned cooked) pineapple, but the bromelain
in raw pineapple damages my mouth.

> And I have heard of people having trouble with tomatoes. SIL says she has
>
> trouble with hothouse ones but never vine ripened.

You SIL is full of shit. The vine ripened are higher in acid

> I used to have the problem from walnuts and pecans but not now.

Pecans are very healthful, and always a better choice than walnuts, which
have way too much Omega 6.

> I can see how the pineapple and tomatoes could have acid or something. And
>
> perhaps the nuts are some sort of allergy or OAS.

Perhaps you could use Wikipedia.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/4/2014 8:05 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Does anyone have this happen to them? Daughter and I will get it from
> fresh pineapple but never the canned. From what I have read, the fresh
> pineapple thing is pretty common.
>
> And I have heard of people having trouble with tomatoes. SIL says she
> has trouble with hothouse ones but never vine ripened.
>
> I used to have the problem from walnuts and pecans but not now. The
> weird one though was potato chips. No other chips caused this. As a
> child and even a young adult, the tiniest bite of a potato chip would
> cause extreme discomfort so I avoided them. Bro said he still has
> problems with those nuts and also potato chips. Although potato chips
> are not a favorite food, I can eat them now with no blisters.
>
> I can see how the pineapple and tomatoes could have acid or something.
> And perhaps the nuts are some sort of allergy or OAS. But the chips?
> What could cause this?

DD would get it from cinnamon

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> Does anyone have this happen to them? Daughter and I will get it from fresh
> pineapple but never the canned. From what I have read, the fresh pineapple
> thing is pretty common.
>
> And I have heard of people having trouble with tomatoes. SIL says she has
> trouble with hothouse ones but never vine ripened.
>
> I used to have the problem from walnuts and pecans but not now. The weird
> one though was potato chips. No other chips caused this. As a child and
> even a young adult, the tiniest bite of a potato chip would cause extreme
> discomfort so I avoided them. Bro said he still has problems with those
> nuts and also potato chips. Although potato chips are not a favorite food,
> I can eat them now with no blisters.
>
> I can see how the pineapple and tomatoes could have acid or something. And
> perhaps the nuts are some sort of allergy or OAS. But the chips? What
> could cause this?

sometimes back in my younger days, if I smoking crack and then I had like
some pop and a candy bar it would always give me a kind of blistery feeling
inside my mouth

oh yeah potato chips too

not sure if it's related to what you got

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:05:02 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Does anyone have this happen to them? Daughter and I will get it from
>> fresh
>>
>> pineapple but never the canned. From what I have read, the fresh
>> pineapple
>>
>> thing is pretty common.
>>

> I detest the flavor of cooked (or canned cooked) pineapple, but the
> bromelain
> in raw pineapple damages my mouth.

I do know that I have issues with bromelain. If taken in pill form, it
gives me horrible stomach distress. And oddly enough the pills they put it
in are supposed to help with digestion.

I don't mind canned pineapple but I rarely eat it or any fruit. If I am at
a place that has it on the salad bar, I might take a piece or two. That's
about it.

>> And I have heard of people having trouble with tomatoes. SIL says she
>> has
>>
>> trouble with hothouse ones but never vine ripened.
>>

> You SIL is full of shit. The vine ripened are higher in acid

I don't know the reason but I assure you that she isn't full of shit for
reasons that I won't get into here. Hehehe. I don't know about the acid in
tomatoes or which kind have more. I only know what she tells me.

>> I used to have the problem from walnuts and pecans but not now.

> Pecans are very healthful, and always a better choice than walnuts, which
> have way too much Omega 6.

I can't have pecans now due to an intolerance. But I used to like them.

>> I can see how the pineapple and tomatoes could have acid or something.
>> And
>>
>> perhaps the nuts are some sort of allergy or OAS.

> Perhaps you could use Wikipedia.

I could. But I did ask here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 2/4/2014 8:05 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Does anyone have this happen to them? Daughter and I will get it from
>> fresh pineapple but never the canned. From what I have read, the fresh
>> pineapple thing is pretty common.
>>
>> And I have heard of people having trouble with tomatoes. SIL says she
>> has trouble with hothouse ones but never vine ripened.
>>
>> I used to have the problem from walnuts and pecans but not now. The
>> weird one though was potato chips. No other chips caused this. As a
>> child and even a young adult, the tiniest bite of a potato chip would
>> cause extreme discomfort so I avoided them. Bro said he still has
>> problems with those nuts and also potato chips. Although potato chips
>> are not a favorite food, I can eat them now with no blisters.
>>
>> I can see how the pineapple and tomatoes could have acid or something.
>> And perhaps the nuts are some sort of allergy or OAS. But the chips?
>> What could cause this?

> DD would get it from cinnamon

Wow! That's interesting! Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> Does anyone have this happen to them? Daughter and I will get it from
>> fresh
>> pineapple but never the canned. From what I have read, the fresh
>> pineapple
>> thing is pretty common.
>>
>> And I have heard of people having trouble with tomatoes. SIL says she
>> has
>> trouble with hothouse ones but never vine ripened.
>>
>> I used to have the problem from walnuts and pecans but not now. The
>> weird
>> one though was potato chips. No other chips caused this. As a child and
>> even a young adult, the tiniest bite of a potato chip would cause extreme
>> discomfort so I avoided them. Bro said he still has problems with those
>> nuts and also potato chips. Although potato chips are not a favorite
>> food,
>> I can eat them now with no blisters.
>>
>> I can see how the pineapple and tomatoes could have acid or something.
>> And
>> perhaps the nuts are some sort of allergy or OAS. But the chips? What
>> could cause this?

> sometimes back in my younger days, if I smoking crack and then I had like
> some pop and a candy bar it would always give me a kind of blistery
> feeling
> inside my mouth
>
> oh yeah potato chips too
>
> not sure if it's related to what you got

Well, no. Seeing as how I never smoked crack...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 03:27:59 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle wrote:

> sometimes back in my younger days, if I smoking crack and then I had like
> some pop and a candy bar it would always give me a kind of blistery feeling
> inside my mouth

I wouldn't call it blistery, more like a prickly sensation that can
get quite intense the more you chew. Mostly on the roof of the mouth.

Snorting lots of speed will do the same thing - even worse after 36
hours. My girlfriends and I couldn't eat more than a few bites at a
time before giving up and boinking again. You literally can't chew
for more than a few seconds.

I get immediate blisters when I eat cheap "bay" shrimp at a
restaurant. Always under my tongue and on the roof of my mouth. It's
the same feeling except that it actually gets me high.

> not sure if it's related to what you got

schnnpfff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/4/2014 11:40 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
>> On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:05:02 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Does anyone have this happen to them? Daughter and I will get it
>>> from fresh
>>>
>>> pineapple but never the canned. From what I have read, the fresh
>>> pineapple
>>>
>>> thing is pretty common.
>>>

>> I detest the flavor of cooked (or canned cooked) pineapple, but the
>> bromelain
>> in raw pineapple damages my mouth.

> I do know that I have issues with bromelain. If taken in pill form, it
> gives me horrible stomach distress. And oddly enough the pills they put
> it in are supposed to help with digestion.
>
> I don't mind canned pineapple but I rarely eat it or any fruit. If I am
> at a place that has it on the salad bar, I might take a piece or two.
> That's about it.
>>>
>>> And I have heard of people having trouble with tomatoes. SIL says
>>> she has
>>>
>>> trouble with hothouse ones but never vine ripened.
>>>

>> You SIL is full of shit. The vine ripened are higher in acid

> I don't know the reason but I assure you that she isn't full of shit for
> reasons that I won't get into here. Hehehe. I don't know about the
> acid in tomatoes or which kind have more. I only know what she tells me.
>>>
>>> I used to have the problem from walnuts and pecans but not now.

>> Pecans are very healthful, and always a better choice than walnuts, which
>> have way too much Omega 6.

> I can't have pecans now due to an intolerance. But I used to like them.
>>>
>>> I can see how the pineapple and tomatoes could have acid or
>>> something. And
>>>
>>> perhaps the nuts are some sort of allergy or OAS.

>> Perhaps you could use Wikipedia.

> I could. But I did ask here.

There's no knowing what foods will do to a particular individual.
Toasted cheese used to blister my tongue until I learned not to eat it.
Cooked or raw ripe pineapple is something that I like a lot and
fortunately, most of my aversions to foods are just those.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-05 8:30 AM, James Silverton wrote:

> There's no knowing what foods will do to a particular individual.
> Toasted cheese used to blister my tongue until I learned not to eat it.
> Cooked or raw ripe pineapple is something that I like a lot and
> fortunately, most of my aversions to foods are just those.

That blistered feeling on the roof of your mouth when you eat hot
cheese....... that is what I used to get when I ate walnuts... and
further along the system. That's why I don't eat nuts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/5/2014 9:21 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-02-05 8:30 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>
>> There's no knowing what foods will do to a particular individual.
>> Toasted cheese used to blister my tongue until I learned not to eat it.
>> Cooked or raw ripe pineapple is something that I like a lot and
>> fortunately, most of my aversions to foods are just those.
>>

> That blistered feeling on the roof of your mouth when you eat hot
> cheese....... that is what I used to get when I ate walnuts... and
> further along the system. That's why I don't eat nuts.

I agree that melted cheese can stick to the roof of your mouth but it
seemed that melted cheddar released an oil or acid and cheddar was what
was usually used for toasted cheese.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> There's no knowing what foods will do to a particular individual. Toasted
> cheese used to blister my tongue until I learned not to eat it. Cooked or
> raw ripe pineapple is something that I like a lot and fortunately, most of
> my aversions to foods are just those.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 2/5/2014 9:21 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2014-02-05 8:30 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>>
>>> There's no knowing what foods will do to a particular individual.
>>> Toasted cheese used to blister my tongue until I learned not to eat it.
>>> Cooked or raw ripe pineapple is something that I like a lot and
>>> fortunately, most of my aversions to foods are just those.
>>>

>> That blistered feeling on the roof of your mouth when you eat hot
>> cheese....... that is what I used to get when I ate walnuts... and
>> further along the system. That's why I don't eat nuts.
>>

> I agree that melted cheese can stick to the roof of your mouth but it
> seemed that melted cheddar released an oil or acid and cheddar was what
> was usually used for toasted cheese.

Very interesting. I have issues with peanut butter on toast. I don't know
why but the hot nut butter doesn't agree with me and it comes right back up.
I can eat a peanut butter sandwich and this never happens.

The biofuel hoax is causing a world food crisis! [email protected] General Cooking 0 03-04-2008 10:37 PM
Soy Milk causing men to grow breasts [email protected] General Cooking 79 28-08-2007 08:10 PM
Cancer causing teas. Mydnight Tea 10 30-01-2007 05:52 AM
Cancer causing teas. Puerh Fan Tea 9 30-01-2007 05:31 AM
Cast iron causing stain on stove? Tom or Mary General Cooking 8 27-05-2006 01:15 AM