Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

Default Tomato substitute

Is there a tomato substitue available? Tomatoes aren't allowed on my diet.

I am familiar with egg substitute, substitutes for sugar etc so I am
thinking that someone must have developed a tomato substitute.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On 1/23/2014 12:14 PM, White Spirit wrote:
> Is there a tomato substitue available? Tomatoes aren't allowed on my diet.
>
> I am familiar with egg substitute, substitutes for sugar etc so I am
> thinking that someone must have developed a tomato substitute.

I believe some forms of atropa belladonna have red fruits...
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 1/23/2014 12:14 PM, White Spirit wrote:
>> Is there a tomato substitue available? Tomatoes aren't allowed on my
>> diet.
>>
>> I am familiar with egg substitute, substitutes for sugar etc so I am
>> thinking that someone must have developed a tomato substitute.
>>

> I believe some forms of atropa belladonna have red fruits...

Nice one! {:-)
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On 23/01/2014 17:30, S Viemeister wrote:

> On 1/23/2014 12:14 PM, White Spirit wrote:

>> Is there a tomato substitue available? Tomatoes aren't allowed on my
>> diet.

>> I am familiar with egg substitute, substitutes for sugar etc so I am
>> thinking that someone must have developed a tomato substitute.

> I believe some forms of atropa belladonna have red fruits...

I am only allowed to use those authentically in small quanities to
create a magical ointment that grants me the ability to see the hidden
realms.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On 23/01/2014 17:53, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 12:30:20 -0500, S Viemeister wrote:

>> On 1/23/2014 12:14 PM, White Spirit wrote:

>>> Is there a tomato substitue available? Tomatoes aren't allowed on my diet.

>>> I am familiar with egg substitute, substitutes for sugar etc so I am
>>> thinking that someone must have developed a tomato substitute.

>> I believe some forms of atropa belladonna have red fruits...

> Yet another troll.

I didn't realise S. Viemeister was a troll; thanks for the warning.

I certainly won't be sharing my flying ointment recipe with him/her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 17:14:18 +0000, White Spirit
> wrote:

> Is there a tomato substitue available? Tomatoes aren't allowed on my diet.
>
> I am familiar with egg substitute, substitutes for sugar etc so I am
> thinking that someone must have developed a tomato substitute.

Why don't you just do without? It's dumb to substitute and then claim
authenticity.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:53:50 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> Yet another troll.
>
> -sw

Yes, yes you are!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/01/2014 17:59, sf wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 17:14:18 +0000, White Spirit
> > wrote:

>> Is there a tomato substitue available? Tomatoes aren't allowed on my diet.

>> I am familiar with egg substitute, substitutes for sugar etc so I am
>> thinking that someone must have developed a tomato substitute.

> Why don't you just do without? It's dumb to substitute and then claim
> authenticity.

It's just that I am really keen on spaghetti.

I suppose I can always have stew instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2014 1:00 PM, White Spirit wrote:
> On 23/01/2014 17:59, sf wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 17:14:18 +0000, White Spirit
>> > wrote:

>>> Is there a tomato substitue available? Tomatoes aren't allowed on my
>>> diet.

>>> I am familiar with egg substitute, substitutes for sugar etc so I am
>>> thinking that someone must have developed a tomato substitute.

>> Why don't you just do without? It's dumb to substitute and then claim
>> authenticity.

> It's just that I am really keen on spaghetti.
>
> I suppose I can always have stew instead.

Spaghetti can be served with garlic, oil and cheese. Spaghetti Carbonare
does not use tomato.

Good Luck!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On 1/23/2014 12:58 PM, White Spirit wrote:
> On 23/01/2014 17:53, Sqwertz wrote

>>> I believe some forms of atropa belladonna have red fruits...

>> Yet another troll.

> I didn't realise S. Viemeister was a troll; thanks for the warning.
>
> I certainly won't be sharing my flying ointment recipe with him/her.

Pffft.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

White Spirit wrote:
> Is there a tomato substitue available? Tomatoes aren't allowed on my diet.
>
> I am familiar with egg substitute, substitutes for sugar etc so I am
> thinking that someone must have developed a tomato substitute.

Sweet potatoes sub pretty well, but you have to chop them small. HTH

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On 23/01/2014 18:25, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> In article >,
> White Spirit > wrote:

>> On 23/01/2014 17:31, Janet wrote:

>>> In article >,
>>> says...

>>> Why would the Anglo Saxons develop a substitute for something they
>>> didn't know existed?

>> I didn't suggest that they had developed such a substitute; my question
>> is whether a subsitute is available that is allowed on my Anglo Saxon
>> diet. I was thinking that beetroot mixed with carrot could be a
>> suitable replacement.

> What effect are you attempting to achieve? Red color? A pleasantly
> sweet acidity? For which recipes would you need this substitute?

The pleasantly sweet acidity would be a good start. The recipe is
spaghetti not-quite-bolognese because I use lentils instead of minced beef.

>> I have already boycotted potatoes due to the fact that they are so
>> popular in Ireland as well as among the working classes.

> That doesn't make a lick of sense. Could you expand on that?

I consider Celtic peoples my natural enemies by virtue of the fact that
they keep whining about us 'stealing' land from them over sixteen
hundred years ago. Anything that is associated with them is therefore
anathema to me.

I also don't like things that are associated with working class people
because I don't like the way they dress and talk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/01/2014 18:19, zxcvbob wrote:

> White Spirit wrote:

>> Is there a tomato substitue available? Tomatoes aren't allowed on my
>> diet.

>> I am familiar with egg substitute, substitutes for sugar etc so I am
>> thinking that someone must have developed a tomato substitute.

> Sweet potatoes sub pretty well, but you have to chop them small. HTH

Sweet potatoes would help to get around the ban on foods associated with
Celtic peoples but they unfortunately don't fit the timeline.

I am thinking that carrot mashed with garlic might be good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

In article >,
White Spirit > wrote:

>> What effect are you attempting to achieve? Red color? A pleasantly
>> sweet acidity? For which recipes would you need this substitute?

>The pleasantly sweet acidity would be a good start. The recipe is
>spaghetti not-quite-bolognese because I use lentils instead of minced beef.

I can't think of anything pre-1066 that would serve. I think your
choices are giving up bolognese or eating like a normal person.

Do let us know if you come up with something. It's always
interesting to hear these things.

>>> I have already boycotted potatoes due to the fact that they are so
>>> popular in Ireland as well as among the working classes.

>> That doesn't make a lick of sense. Could you expand on that?

>I consider Celtic peoples my natural enemies by virtue of the fact that
>they keep whining about us 'stealing' land from them over sixteen
>hundred years ago. Anything that is associated with them is therefore
>anathema to me.

Do all Celts whine in this way?

Are Americans of Irish descent included in this?

>I also don't like things that are associated with working class people
>because I don't like the way they dress and talk.

Ah. Well, I'll try not to take that personally. My grandfather
worked in a factory.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 23, 2014 11:14:18 AM UTC-6, White Spirit wrote:
> Is there a tomato substitue available? Tomatoes aren't allowed on my diet.
>

> I am familiar with egg substitute, substitutes for sugar etc so I am
>
> thinking that someone must have developed a tomato substitute.

Most boring troll, EVER.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

"White Spirit" > wrote in message
> Is there a tomato substitue available? Tomatoes aren't allowed on my
> diet.
>
> I am familiar with egg substitute, substitutes for sugar etc so I am
> thinking that someone must have developed a tomato substitute.

Depends on why you are avoiding and why you are using them. People with a
tomato allergy sometimes use red peppers. If for Mexican food, you could
use tomatillos.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On 23/01/2014 23:02, Julie Bove wrote:

> "White Spirit" > wrote in message
>> Is there a tomato substitue available? Tomatoes aren't allowed on my
>> diet.
>>
>> I am familiar with egg substitute, substitutes for sugar etc so I am
>> thinking that someone must have developed a tomato substitute.

> Depends on why you are avoiding and why you are using them. People with
> a tomato allergy sometimes use red peppers. If for Mexican food, you
> could use tomatillos.

I was in an Italian restaurant opposite a friend and he ordered a pizza,
but specified that it must not have tomato on it! When I queried this,
he meant sliced tomato. So what's the difference, in terms of being in
one's belly?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2014 6:25 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:53:50 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I believe some forms of atropa belladonna have red fruits...

>> Yet another troll.

> Not you :-) I meant the OP.
>
> =sw

I knew what you meant. But you should have removed the cross-posting.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On 1/23/2014 6:25 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 11:53:50 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> I believe some forms of atropa belladonna have red fruits...

>> Yet another troll.

> Not you :-) I meant the OP.

I assumed so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 17:25:21 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

>> Yet another troll.

> Not you :-) I meant the OP.
>
> =sw

Ya'll trolls are havin' issue keepin' up with who's trollin' who, aincha?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 18:13:43 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> I actually posted that right after my original post because I realized
> it could be misinterpreted, but I forgot to press <ENTER> to send
> until 6 hours later :-) I had to piggyback

Did the dawg eat yer homework too, little boy?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 18:15:22 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> A vegan AND a troll? His life must REALLY suck.
>
> -sw

Unlike yers, a nic-addict and a stalker?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 18:17:23 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> fresh tomatoes on pizza just turn into mush and make the
> pizza watery.
>
> -sw

Not at 900 degrees, ya freak.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

Sexman wrote:

> I was in an Italian restaurant opposite a friend and he ordered a pizza,
> but specified that it must not have tomato on it! When I queried this,
> he meant sliced tomato. So what's the difference, in terms of being in
> one's belly?

Adios douchebag... don't let the door hit your ass... don't come back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

Big Trig wrote:
>Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> fresh tomatoes on pizza just turn into mush and make the
>> pizza watery.
>>
>> -sw

>Not at 900 degrees, ya freak.

You're talkin' cremation, no pizza oven ever reached 600ºF, little
twig, ignoranus pos.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

"Janet" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> On 23/01/2014 17:31, Janet wrote:
>>
>> > In article >,

>> > says...

>> > Why would the Anglo Saxons develop a substitute for something they
>> > didn't know existed?

>> I didn't suggest that they had developed such a substitute; my question
>> is whether a subsitute is available that is allowed on my Anglo Saxon
>> diet. I was thinking that beetroot mixed with carrot could be a
>> suitable replacement.

> Neither are historically correct, orange carrots and purple beets were
> bred 5 centuries later.
>>
>> > As for sweeteners, you'll have to go without. The
>> > only one available in Britain back then was honey, not vegan, so no
>> > mead
>> > for you.

>> Some vegans eat honey.

> Only the kind of ******* cheaty vegans who EXPLOIT BEES by stealing
> their food supplies. The rotters.
>
>> > Stevia and yacon are definitely not Anglo Saxon. Potatoes are
>> > out too.

>> I have already boycotted potatoes due to the fact that they are so
>> popular in Ireland as well as among the working classes.

> So is spag bol so you'd better boycott that too.

Don't bother Janet! He's a stupid troll!
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2014 12:14 PM, White Spirit wrote:

> Is there a tomato substitue available? Tomatoes aren't allowed on my diet.
>
> I am familiar with egg substitute, substitutes for sugar etc so I am
> thinking that someone must have developed a tomato substitute.

Catsup. It can't possibly be real tomato.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mike.. . . ." > wrote in message
> Following a post by Saxman
>

>>I was in an Italian restaurant opposite a friend and he ordered a pizza,
>>but specified that it must not have tomato on it! When I queried this,
>>he meant sliced tomato. So what's the difference, in terms of being in
>>one's belly?

> the difference is in his head
> --
> Mike... . . . .

I know several people who will eat tomato products like sauce or ketchup.
One even eats tomato soup. But they won't touch sliced tomatoes, raw or
cooked. It's a textural thing.

As for pizza, I have tried time and again to put veggies on mine as I love
veggies. What I discovered was that I do not like them with cheese. TJ's
used to make a veggie pizza with no cheese. Loved it! Not sure why this is
but if I am eating a cheese pizza I prefer just cheese or cheese and pine
nuts. I do like basil and tomato on there but that's it for veggies. But
with no cheese? Pile on the veggies. They just don't stick on there very
well for obvious reasons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On 23/01/2014 19:15, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> In article >,

> White Spirit > wrote:

>>> What effect are you attempting to achieve? Red color? A pleasantly
>>> sweet acidity? For which recipes would you need this substitute?

>> The pleasantly sweet acidity would be a good start. The recipe is
>> spaghetti not-quite-bolognese because I use lentils instead of minced beef.

> I can't think of anything pre-1066 that would serve. I think your
> choices are giving up bolognese or eating like a normal person.

I think stew might be nice. And bread.

>>> That doesn't make a lick of sense. Could you expand on that?

>> I consider Celtic peoples my natural enemies by virtue of the fact that
>> they keep whining about us 'stealing' land from them over sixteen
>> hundred years ago. Anything that is associated with them is therefore
>> anathema to me.

> Do all Celts whine in this way?

Many of them do, in my experience.

> Are Americans of Irish descent included in this?

They are often the worst.

No offence.

Equally as bad are Americans of Scotch descent who like to dress up in
kilts.

>> I also don't like things that are associated with working class people
>> because I don't like the way they dress and talk.

> Ah. Well, I'll try not to take that personally. My grandfather
> worked in a factory.

Where was the factory located?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

On 23/01/2014 23:21, Janet wrote:

> In article >,
> says...

>> On 23/01/2014 17:31, Janet wrote:

>>> In article >,

>>> says...

>>> Why would the Anglo Saxons develop a substitute for something they
>>> didn't know existed?

>> I didn't suggest that they had developed such a substitute; my question
>> is whether a subsitute is available that is allowed on my Anglo Saxon
>> diet. I was thinking that beetroot mixed with carrot could be a
>> suitable replacement.

> Neither are historically correct, orange carrots and purple beets were
> bred 5 centuries later.

Soþlice is me geþuht þæt gif þu wel cnæwe hweolc mete folc æton on
englalond þonne betera hit is þæt þu sprece hwæt is þe gewiten be þæm.

>> Some vegans eat honey.

> Only the kind of ******* cheaty vegans who EXPLOIT BEES by stealing
> their food supplies. The rotters.

I have it on good authority that the bees are well looked after and like
having their honey harvested. In fact, bees are well domesticated by
now and would die out without our continued farming of them.

>> I have already boycotted potatoes due to the fact that they are so
>> popular in Ireland as well as among the working classes.

> So is spag bol so you'd better boycott that too.

'Spag bol'? How disgustingly working class.

I am definitely going to boycott it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc

"White Spirit" > wrote in message
> On 23/01/2014 23:21, Janet wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> says...

>>> I didn't suggest that they had developed such a substitute; my question
>>> is whether a subsitute is available that is allowed on my Anglo Saxon
>>> diet. I was thinking that beetroot mixed with carrot could be a
>>> suitable replacement.

>> Neither are historically correct, orange carrots and purple beets were
>> bred 5 centuries later.

> Soþlice is me geþuht þæt gif þu wel cnæwe hweolc mete folc æton on
> englalond þonne betera hit is þæt þu sprece hwæt is þe gewiten be þæm.
>
>>> Some vegans eat honey.

>> Only the kind of ******* cheaty vegans who EXPLOIT BEES by stealing
>> their food supplies. The rotters.

> I have it on good authority that the bees are well looked after and like
> having their honey harvested. In fact, bees are well domesticated by now
> and would die out without our continued farming of them.
>
>>> I have already boycotted potatoes due to the fact that they are so
>>> popular in Ireland as well as among the working classes.

>> So is spag bol so you'd better boycott that too.

> 'Spag bol'? How disgustingly working class.
>
> I am definitely going to boycott it.

lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/