Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pavlova

What are the characteristics of a good one?
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/21/2014 1:06 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> What are the characteristics of a good one?

The meringue should be a little sweet, dry and never crunchy. The
topping should be wet enough to flavor the pavlova but not too runny.

I'm going on a cruise in a few weeks and am looking forward to at least
one pavlova for dessert. I love the strawberry ones.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> What are the characteristics of a good one?
> --
> Barb,
> http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

When baked it should be just off-white (very pale coffee colored) with a
marshmallowy interior.
Whatever you do, the crust is likely to crack.

For an 8" round pav, use:
3 L egg whites
3/4c sugar
1/2 tsp vinegar
2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp vanilla

Whip whites until very stiff then beat in the sugar, 1/2 at a time. Then
beat in the remaining ingredients. Spread on non-stick parchment in an 8"
circle with higher edges to form a case. Bake just below the centre of the
oven at 300F for about an hour then leave it to cool in the oven.
Fill with whipped cream and fruit.
HTH
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> What are the characteristics of a good one?
>> --
>> Barb,
>> http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

> When baked it should be just off-white (very pale coffee colored) with a
> marshmallowy interior.
> Whatever you do, the crust is likely to crack.
>
> For an 8" round pav, use:
> 3 L egg whites
> 3/4c sugar
> 1/2 tsp vinegar
> 2 tsp cornstarch
> 1/2 tsp vanilla
>
> Whip whites until very stiff then beat in the sugar, 1/2 at a time. Then
> beat in the remaining ingredients. Spread on non-stick parchment in an 8"
> circle with higher edges to form a case. Bake just below the centre of the
> oven at 300F for about an hour then leave it to cool in the oven.
> Fill with whipped cream and fruit.
> HTH
> Graham

Use caster or berry sugar, i.e., finer than conventional granulated but not
powdered (frosting) sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 13:53:14 -0600, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 1/21/2014 1:06 PM, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > What are the characteristics of a good one?
> >

> The meringue should be a little sweet, dry and never crunchy. The
> topping should be wet enough to flavor the pavlova but not too runny.

Is meringue powder used for it?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 12:59:13 -0700, "graham" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > What are the characteristics of a good one?
> > --
> > Barb,
> > http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

> When baked it should be just off-white (very pale coffee colored) with a
> marshmallowy interior.
> Whatever you do, the crust is likely to crack.
>
> For an 8" round pav, use:
> 3 L egg whites

What do you do with the yolks?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 12:59:13 -0700, "graham" > wrote:
>

>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> > What are the characteristics of a good one?
>> > --
>> > Barb,
>> > http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

>> When baked it should be just off-white (very pale coffee colored) with a
>> marshmallowy interior.
>> Whatever you do, the crust is likely to crack.
>>
>> For an 8" round pav, use:
>> 3 L egg whites

> What do you do with the yolks?

I add them to a couple of other whole eggs and scramble them for supper, or
I make a custard, or I use cartoned egg-whites
or....................................
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 12:59:13 -0700, "graham" > wrote:
>

> > "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > > What are the characteristics of a good one?
> > > --
> > > Barb,

http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

> > When baked it should be just off-white (very pale coffee colored) with a
> > marshmallowy interior.
> > Whatever you do, the crust is likely to crack.
> >
> > For an 8" round pav, use:
> > 3 L egg whites

> What do you do with the yolks?

Make lemon curd, or egg custard, or mayonnaise.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 00:10:34 +0000, Janet wrote:

> Holy shit, what is meringue powder?

Yeah, I've never heard of it either - and thought maybe somebody was
pulling a leg or two here... but after the Worcestershire sauce powder,
nothing would surprise me.

Another thing that I'll pass on is that 'egg beater' stuff. I know some
folks like it, but it kinda reminds me of army rations or the some like.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 13:06:08 -0600, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> What are the characteristics of a good one?

Meringue must be crispy on the outside and just a tad gooey on the
inside... I find it's easy enough to accomplish this when I use really
fresh eggs - and I always have some of those around ;-)

Anyway, thanks for reminding me about it - daughter will probably have a
ball making it at the weekend <g> and the dogs can have a few egg yolks -
they love 'em.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 00:10:34 +0000, Janet wrote:
>

>> Holy shit, what is meringue powder?

> Yeah, I've never heard of it either - and thought maybe somebody was
> pulling a leg or two here... but after the Worcestershire sauce powder,
> nothing would surprise me.
>
> Another thing that I'll pass on is that 'egg beater' stuff. I know some
> folks like it, but it kinda reminds me of army rations or the some like.

I've never seen any WS powder either and I'm not sure I would be tempted

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://bakingbites.com/2009/01/what-is-meringue-powder/

--
Drew Lawson | I'd like to find your inner child
| and kick its little ass
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:58:29 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 00:10:34 +0000, Janet wrote:
>

>> Holy shit, what is meringue powder?

>Yeah, I've never heard of it either - and thought maybe somebody was
>pulling a leg or two here... but after the Worcestershire sauce powder,
>nothing would surprise me.
>
>Another thing that I'll pass on is that 'egg beater' stuff. I know some
>folks like it, but it kinda reminds me of army rations or the some like.

Meringue powder is what is used by bakeries everywhere. It's used in
the boxed angel food cake mixes. I don't think you would find it on
your supermarket shelf, but maybe. A fairly easy to get item.
Definitely could be found in a cake bakers supply shop. I've never
used it, but I have noticed it offered many places -- Amazon, King
Arthur,
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> What are the characteristics of a good one?

The bitch should start salivating when you ring the bell.

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 09:54:30 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> Meringue powder is what is used by bakeries everywhere. It's used in
> the boxed angel food cake mixes. I don't think you would find it on
> your supermarket shelf, but maybe. A fairly easy to get item.
> Definitely could be found in a cake bakers supply shop. I've never used
> it, but I have noticed it offered many places -- Amazon, King Arthur,
> Janet US

Ah, thanks. According to another link somebody posted now I know it's a
powder made of dried egg whites, with a bit of cornstarch and some food
gums. Not something I've ever looked for or would buy personally. Using
fresh egg whites to make meringue is pretty easy - but then I'm not
running a bakery and/or making hundreds at a time ;-)

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, cathy1234
@mailinator.com says...

> On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 00:10:34 +0000, Janet wrote:
>

> > Holy shit, what is meringue powder?

> Yeah, I've never heard of it either - and thought maybe somebody was
> pulling a leg or two here... but after the Worcestershire sauce powder,
> nothing would surprise me.

:-(

I had to google. Meringue powder contains gum :-(

> Another thing that I'll pass on is that 'egg beater' stuff.

Me too.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:58:29 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 00:10:34 +0000, Janet wrote:
>

> > Holy shit, what is meringue powder?

> Yeah, I've never heard of it either - and thought maybe somebody was
> pulling a leg or two here... but after the Worcestershire sauce powder,
> nothing would surprise me.

It's used to make royal icing. That's all I know. I don't like
meringue and the thought of a Pavlova gags me.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 13:06:08 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>What are the characteristics of a good one?

I wasn't even sure what a pavlova consisted of so, of course, I
googled it.
I now know I won't be making one in the near future.
Even on the rare occasion I'm confronted with lemon meringue pie, if I
can do it without being rude, I will push the meringue to the side. If
I'm served it as a guest, I'll choke it down.
Just one of those hangups one keeps since childhood I guess. And in my
case, childhood was prior to WWII ;-).

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:06:08 AM UTC-8, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> What are the characteristics of a good one?
>
> --
>
> Barb,
>
> http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

wow.....lookit at all the different ways people make it.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...12.Wd-0TJS0cA0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:58:29 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 00:10:34 +0000, Janet wrote:
>>

>> > Holy shit, what is meringue powder?

>> Yeah, I've never heard of it either - and thought maybe somebody was
>> pulling a leg or two here... but after the Worcestershire sauce powder,
>> nothing would surprise me.
>>

> It's used to make royal icing. That's all I know. I don't like
> meringue and the thought of a Pavlova gags me.
>
> --

But it's not hard like an Italian meringue, but marshmallowy inside, with
only a thin crust.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-22 1:00 PM, Ross@home wrote:

> Even on the rare occasion I'm confronted with lemon meringue pie, if I
> can do it without being rude, I will push the meringue to the side. If
> I'm served it as a guest, I'll choke it down.

My father hated lemon meringue pie, but he was a good guest. When served
lemon meringue pie at a friend's house he not only managed to choke it
down but he raved about it. He was so convincing that the wife thought
he really liked it, so every time they went there for dinner she made
lemon meringue pie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 13:00:44 -0500, Ross@home wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 13:06:08 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>>
>>>What are the characteristics of a good one?

>>I wasn't even sure what a pavlova consisted of so, of course, I
>>googled it.
>>I now know I won't be making one in the near future.
>>Even on the rare occasion I'm confronted with lemon meringue pie, if I
>>can do it without being rude, I will push the meringue to the side. If
>>I'm served it as a guest, I'll choke it down.
>>Just one of those hangups one keeps since childhood I guess. And in my
>>case, childhood was prior to WWII ;-).
>>
>>Ross.
>>Southern Ontario, Canada

> Well the topping on lemon meringue and the meringue for a Pavlova,
> bear no resemblance.

I've been making a lot of macarons recently, using Italian meringue. The
leftover meringue I've made into mini meringues that have gone down well.
Italian meringue is fiddly to make but it is easier to handle than the
simpler French version.
When I lived in Australia, one could order Pavlova bases from the local
deli. I'm sure, given the fragile nature of a real Pav, that they used
Italian meringue.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Meringue powder is pretty well known among bakers who make a lot of desserts. It is just what it says:
powdered egg whites, that you can reconstitute with water and whip like egg whites. I use it sometimes
to stabilize whipped cream without adding more sugar. I get it at the Ace Hardware store that sells Wilton
cake supplies; or at a kitchen shop.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> What are the characteristics of a good one?

The right combination of air, protein, fat, and fruit. You want to top
the meringue with whipped cream at the last minute to keep the former
from getting soggy. Likewise, the fruit shouldn't be too juicy.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 09:54:30 -0700 in rec.food.cooking, Janet
Bostwick > wrote,
>Meringue powder is what is used by bakeries everywhere. It's used in
>the boxed angel food cake mixes. I don't think you would find it on
>your supermarket shelf, but maybe.

No trouble finding it in the baking section any time I've looked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ImStillMags > wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 21, 2014 11:06:08 AM UTC-8, Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > What are the characteristics of a good one?
> >
> > --
> >
> > Barb,
> >
> > http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.

> wow.....lookit at all the different ways people make it.
>
> https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...biw=120 6&bih
> =697&q=pavlova&oq=pavlova&gs_l=img.12..0l10.1749.3 129.0.6029.7.7.0.0.0.0.108.6
> 21.3j4.7.0....0...1ac.1.32.img..1.6.512.Wd-0TJS0cA0

No kidding. I've checked with an Aussie and a kiwi and they've set me
right. As I'd thought, a soft interior is one of the hallmarks.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

David Harmon wrote:
>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>>Meringue powder is what is used by bakeries everywhere. It's used in
>>the boxed angel food cake mixes. I don't think you would find it on
>>your supermarket shelf, but maybe.

>No trouble finding it in the baking section any time I've looked.

Meringue powder has been around a long time, I used it aboard ship
more than 50 years ago... like so many other food products was likely
developed by the USN to conserve shipboard stowage space. It's pretty
easy to find.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-meringue-powder.htm
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...eringue+powder
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/...e-powder-10-oz
http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/22/2014 10:54 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:58:29 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 00:10:34 +0000, Janet wrote:
>>

>>> Holy shit, what is meringue powder?

>> Yeah, I've never heard of it either - and thought maybe somebody was
>> pulling a leg or two here... but after the Worcestershire sauce powder,
>> nothing would surprise me.
>>
>> Another thing that I'll pass on is that 'egg beater' stuff. I know some
>> folks like it, but it kinda reminds me of army rations or the some like.

> Meringue powder is what is used by bakeries everywhere. It's used in
> the boxed angel food cake mixes. I don't think you would find it on
> your supermarket shelf, but maybe. A fairly easy to get item.
> Definitely could be found in a cake bakers supply shop. I've never
> used it, but I have noticed it offered many places -- Amazon, King
> Arthur,
> Janet US

I've bought powdered egg whites. Is that the same?

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 13:46:48 -0600, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 1/22/2014 10:54 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>

> > Meringue powder is what is used by bakeries everywhere. It's used in
> > the boxed angel food cake mixes. I don't think you would find it on
> > your supermarket shelf, but maybe. A fairly easy to get item.
> > Definitely could be found in a cake bakers supply shop. I've never
> > used it, but I have noticed it offered many places -- Amazon, King
> > Arthur,
> > Janet US
> >

> I've bought powdered egg whites. Is that the same?

I don't think so. Do powdered egg whites work for making angel food
cake? If so, I want some. Where do you buy powdered whites? I can't
say I've ever seen it on a shelf. At least I've heard of meringue
powder... and only because I learned during a cake decorating class
that it's often used to make royal icing.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/23/2014 8:08 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 13:46:48 -0600, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/22/2014 10:54 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>

>>> Meringue powder is what is used by bakeries everywhere. It's used in
>>> the boxed angel food cake mixes. I don't think you would find it on
>>> your supermarket shelf, but maybe. A fairly easy to get item.
>>> Definitely could be found in a cake bakers supply shop. I've never
>>> used it, but I have noticed it offered many places -- Amazon, King
>>> Arthur,
>>> Janet US
>>>

>> I've bought powdered egg whites. Is that the same?

> I don't think so. Do powdered egg whites work for making angel food
> cake? If so, I want some. Where do you buy powdered whites? I can't
> say I've ever seen it on a shelf. At least I've heard of meringue
> powder... and only because I learned during a cake decorating class
> that it's often used to make royal icing.

The brand is "Just Whites" by Deb El. It is just dried egg whites,
nothing else. You add a measured amount of water to the measured amount
of powder to get egg whites for baking. 1 egg white is 2tsp of "Just
Whites" and 2 tbsp of water. Takes a lot of mixing.

I find "Just Whites" in the baking aisle of the supermarket. I whip
them up with sugar-substitute and add almond meal to make little cookies
for DH.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 13:29:50 -0600, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 1/23/2014 8:08 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 13:46:48 -0600, Janet Wilder >
> > wrote:

> >> I've bought powdered egg whites. Is that the same?

> > I don't think so. Do powdered egg whites work for making angel food
> > cake? If so, I want some. Where do you buy powdered whites? I can't
> > say I've ever seen it on a shelf. At least I've heard of meringue
> > powder... and only because I learned during a cake decorating class
> > that it's often used to make royal icing.
> >

> The brand is "Just Whites" by Deb El. It is just dried egg whites,
> nothing else. You add a measured amount of water to the measured amount
> of powder to get egg whites for baking. 1 egg white is 2tsp of "Just
> Whites" and 2 tbsp of water. Takes a lot of mixing.
>
> I find "Just Whites" in the baking aisle of the supermarket. I whip
> them up with sugar-substitute and add almond meal to make little cookies
> for DH.

Thanks, Janet, I found a thread on chowhound that says the dehydrated
whites will whip up and you should read the label carefully if you
want to use liquid whites. http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/369475

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/24/2014 2:02 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 13:29:50 -0600, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/23/2014 8:08 PM, sf wrote:

>>> I don't think so. Do powdered egg whites work for making angel food
>>> cake? If so, I want some. Where do you buy powdered whites? I can't
>>> say I've ever seen it on a shelf. At least I've heard of meringue
>>> powder... and only because I learned during a cake decorating class
>>> that it's often used to make royal icing.
>>>

>> The brand is "Just Whites" by Deb El. It is just dried egg whites,
>> nothing else. You add a measured amount of water to the measured amount
>> of powder to get egg whites for baking. 1 egg white is 2tsp of "Just
>> Whites" and 2 tbsp of water. Takes a lot of mixing.
>>
>> I find "Just Whites" in the baking aisle of the supermarket. I whip
>> them up with sugar-substitute and add almond meal to make little cookies
>> for DH.

> Thanks, Janet, I found a thread on chowhound that says the dehydrated
> whites will whip up and you should read the label carefully if you
> want to use liquid whites. http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/369475

Thank you, SF. I have often wondered about using the egg whites in a
container. Now I know they won't work. The powdered ones have worked
for me.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 15:04:26 -0600, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> Thank you, SF. I have often wondered about using the egg whites in a
> container. Now I know they won't work. The powdered ones have worked
> for me.

I think you can use them if they are unpasturized with no additional
ingredients. One poster mentioned buying whippable whites at Whole
Foods. DD has a container of whites from Fresh and Easy. It is only
egg whites, no preservatives, but it's pasteurized - so according to
that thread they won't whip up properly . I'm so glad to hear that
dehydrated whites do work and I will put it to the test sometime in
the near future. Thanks again!

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 1/24/2014 2:02 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 13:29:50 -0600, Janet Wilder >
>> wrote:

>>> The brand is "Just Whites" by Deb El. It is just dried egg whites,
>>> nothing else. You add a measured amount of water to the measured amount
>>> of powder to get egg whites for baking. 1 egg white is 2tsp of "Just
>>> Whites" and 2 tbsp of water. Takes a lot of mixing.
>>>
>>> I find "Just Whites" in the baking aisle of the supermarket. I whip
>>> them up with sugar-substitute and add almond meal to make little cookies
>>> for DH.

>> Thanks, Janet, I found a thread on chowhound that says the dehydrated
>> whites will whip up and you should read the label carefully if you
>> want to use liquid whites. http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/369475
>>

> Thank you, SF. I have often wondered about using the egg whites in a
> container. Now I know they won't work.

RUBBISH!!!!!!
I used 2 cartons of pasteurised eggwhites over the xmas period making 6 or 7
dozen macarons (Bouchon Bakery recipe) and umpteen meringues.
Graham

Pavlova - a WIP Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 6 26-01-2014 08:51 PM
Pavlova Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 08-09-2006 07:36 PM
pavlova Tim Recipes 0 16-12-2005 12:32 AM
Pavlova Daisy General Cooking 1 07-03-2004 01:11 AM
Pavlova Duckie ® Recipes 0 30-01-2004 12:19 AM