Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What are pickles?

I had to start a new thread. That mile one long that started about American
food in the UK will no longer let me respond to it. Header too long. And
no, trimming the header won't work. Anyway... Here's what dictionary.com
says:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pickles

So you see... While it can be cucumbers, it can be any vegetable or fruit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 20:31:47 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I had to start a new thread. That mile one long that started about American
>food in the UK will no longer let me respond to it. Header too long. And
>no, trimming the header won't work. Anyway... Here's what dictionary.com
>says:
>
>http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pickles
>
>So you see... While it can be cucumbers, it can be any vegetable or fruit.

And fish and even steel:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickling_(disambiguation)

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2014 10:31 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I had to start a new thread. That mile one long that started about
> American food in the UK will no longer let me respond to it. Header too
> long. And no, trimming the header won't work. Anyway... Here's what
> dictionary.com says:
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pickles
>
> So you see... While it can be cucumbers, it can be any vegetable or fruit.

I love pickles and my experience with them is eating them from a jar,
I've never made any. I love all kinds of pickles and I've enjoyed a lot
of other pickled stuff. I've always thought of pickles as pickles
cucumbers. Any other veggie is pickleD, but not a pickle.

I love buying one of the big honkin' pickles at fairs. Mmm mmm!!

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I had to start a new thread. That mile one long that started about
>American food in the UK will no longer let me respond to it. Header too
>long. And no, trimming the header won't work. Anyway... Here's what
>dictionary.com says:
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pickles
>
> So you see... While it can be cucumbers, it can be any vegetable or
> fruit.

You can even have pickled meat, like lutefisk or pickled pigs feet. Pickled
eggs come to mind.

I make pickled "baby" carrots all the time.

It is anything cured in acid, like vinegar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I had to start a new thread. That mile one long that started about
>>American food in the UK will no longer let me respond to it. Header too
>>long. And no, trimming the header won't work. Anyway... Here's what
>>dictionary.com says:
>>
>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pickles
>>
>> So you see... While it can be cucumbers, it can be any vegetable or
>> fruit.

> You can even have pickled meat, like lutefisk or pickled pigs feet.
> Pickled eggs come to mind.
>
> I make pickled "baby" carrots all the time.
>
> It is anything cured in acid, like vinegar.

Yes. True.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 17, 2014 11:31:47 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pickles
> So you see... While it can be cucumbers, it can be any vegetable or fruit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
On Friday, January 17, 2014 11:31:47 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pickles
> So you see... While it can be cucumbers, it can be any vegetable or
> fruit.

Here, in my neck of the woods, pickles, the word pickles refers to pickled
cucumbers. the word narrows it down, and 'pickles' generally means non
sweet dill type pickled cukes. Sweet pickles are called 'sweet pickles'.
Hot pickled pepper rings are called 'hot pepper rings'. Pickled beets are
called pickled beets. etc.
My mom used to make pickled sweet red peppers. She'd cut the tops off,
stuff with saurkraut and pickle them. Good stuff.

---

I just saw pickles and it did say pickles that had onion, carrot and I don't
know what all else in the jar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> On Friday, January 17, 2014 11:31:47 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pickles
>> So you see... While it can be cucumbers, it can be any vegetable or
>> fruit.

> Here, in my neck of the woods, pickles, the word pickles refers to pickled
> cucumbers. the word narrows it down, and 'pickles' generally means non
> sweet dill type pickled cukes. Sweet pickles are called 'sweet pickles'.
> Hot pickled pepper rings are called 'hot pepper rings'. Pickled beets are
> called pickled beets. etc.
> My mom used to make pickled sweet red peppers. She'd cut the tops off,
> stuff with saurkraut and pickle them. Good stuff.
>
> ---
>
> I just saw pickles and it did say pickles that had onion, carrot and I
> don't know what all else in the jar.

Saurkraut is pickled cabbage. So is kimchi.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-01-18 06:36:38 +0000, DreadfulBitch said:

> I love pickles and my experience with them is eating them from a jar,
> I've never made any. I love all kinds of pickles and I've enjoyed a
> lot of other pickled stuff. I've always thought of pickles as pickles
> cucumbers.

I probably did for most of my early life. "Do you want a pickle?" meant
a cucumber. Though my granny made pickled okra, you had to add "okra"
to the end of the name for it to be distinguished from cucumbers.

> Any other veggie is pickleD, but not a pickle.

I think this ended when we started getting excited about Indian
pickles. Which is a very broad concept that includes "condiments" as
well as "chutney" which is the Indian word for pickle, as well as
others. Then we started getting into the jillions of types and kinds
of Japanese and Korean pickles. The world is LOUSY with pickles if you
keep your eyes open.

> I love buying one of the big honkin' pickles at fairs. Mmm mmm!!

Pickled eggplant? Me too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-01-18 08:56:37 +0000, Paul M. Cook said:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> I had to start a new thread. That mile one long that started about
>> American food in the UK will no longer let me respond to it. Header
>> too long. And no, trimming the header won't work. Anyway... Here's
>> what dictionary.com says:
>>
>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pickles
>>
>> So you see... While it can be cucumbers, it can be any vegetable or fruit.

> You can even have pickled meat, like lutefisk or pickled pigs feet.
> Pickled eggs come to mind.
>
> I make pickled "baby" carrots all the time.
>
> It is anything cured in acid, like vinegar.

Preserved foods. That's what a "pickle" is. Generally we think vinegar
and/or salt. But in India they "preserve" them in oils of serveral
kinds and sometimes with no vinegar or significant salt. But in Japan
they use miso (which can use koji fungus to get the fermentation
going), nuka (rise bran), sake lees and many others. As stated
elsewhere, to resounding silence, I'm working my on nuka bed now.

I think there's a very good chance many people hereabouts
wouldn't/don't think of such foods as "pickles". Sometimes our lack of
vocabulary makes exchanges of information difficult.

For more on Japanese pickles (tsukemono):

http://tinyurl.com/qgtylb

And Indian:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Indian_pickles
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chutney

And south Asian: http://tinyurl.com/6shkm5o

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-01-18 14:58:53 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 20:31:47 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I had to start a new thread. That mile one long that started about American
>> food in the UK will no longer let me respond to it. Header too long. And
>> no, trimming the header won't work. Anyway... Here's what dictionary.com
>> says:
>>
>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pickles
>>
>> So you see... While it can be cucumbers, it can be any vegetable or fruit.

> When unqualified, and in common usage, a "pickle" is always assumed to
> be a cucumber here in the United States. Anything else must be
> qualified using the past tense of the verb, "pickled [xyz]" (e.g.
> Pickled eggs, pickled beets, pickled pigs feet).
>
> If you go to restaurant and order extra pickles on your sandwich, do
> you really think they're going to add beets or eggs?

No, but wouldn't that be cool!?

"Extra pickles please."
"Which kind?"
"Huh?"
"Which kind of pickle; we got carrots, cucumbers, daikon, bean sprouts,
beets, okra, onion..."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/18/2014 10:51 AM, gtr wrote:
> On 2014-01-18 14:58:53 +0000, Sqwertz said:
>
>> On Fri, 17 Jan 2014 20:31:47 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I had to start a new thread. That mile one long that started about
>>> American
>>> food in the UK will no longer let me respond to it. Header too
>>> long. And
>>> no, trimming the header won't work. Anyway... Here's what
>>> dictionary.com
>>> says:
>>>
>>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pickles
>>>
>>> So you see... While it can be cucumbers, it can be any vegetable or
>>> fruit.

>> When unqualified, and in common usage, a "pickle" is always assumed to
>> be a cucumber here in the United States. Anything else must be
>> qualified using the past tense of the verb, "pickled [xyz]" (e.g.
>> Pickled eggs, pickled beets, pickled pigs feet).
>>
>> If you go to restaurant and order extra pickles on your sandwich, do
>> you really think they're going to add beets or eggs?

> No, but wouldn't that be cool!?
>
> "Extra pickles please."
> "Which kind?"
> "Huh?"
> "Which kind of pickle; we got carrots, cucumbers, daikon, bean sprouts,
> beets, okra, onion..."

In a deli, "pickle" is a piece of a gherkin (small or pickling
cucumber). The usual thing is pickled for a while and is yellowish in
color. There are also "half-done" pickles that are bright green and only
briefly pickled. I prefer those,

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17-Jan-2014, "Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I had to start a new thread. That mile one long that started about
> American
> food in the UK will no longer let me respond to it. Header too long. And
>
> no, trimming the header won't work. Anyway... Here's what dictionary.com
>
> says:
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pickles
>
> So you see... While it can be cucumbers, it can be any vegetable or
> fruit.

Sure can; I have a jar of collard green stem pickles that are just about
ready to eat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 18, 2014 7:05:33 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> "A Moose in Love" > wrote in message

> On Friday, January 17, 2014 11:31:47 PM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>

> > http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pickles

> > So you see... While it can be cucumbers, it can be any vegetable or

> > fruit.

> Here, in my neck of the woods, pickles, the word pickles refers to pickled
>
> cucumbers. the word narrows it down, and 'pickles' generally means non
>
> sweet dill type pickled cukes. Sweet pickles are called 'sweet pickles'.
>
> Hot pickled pepper rings are called 'hot pepper rings'. Pickled beets are
>
> called pickled beets. etc.
>
> My mom used to make pickled sweet red peppers. She'd cut the tops off,
>
> stuff with saurkraut and pickle them. Good stuff.
>

> ---
>

> I just saw pickles and it did say pickles that had onion, carrot and I don't
>
> know what all else in the jar.

I like the sweet sliced pickles and it also has some small onions, red peppers and cauliflower in it. Since I'm alone, I eat right out of the jar with the pickle juice to stop the heart burn. I always keep a jar in the fridge and one ahead in the cupboard.

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/18/2014 9:42 AM, gtr wrote:

> Pickled eggplant? Me too!

Did I miss the 'whoosh'?

Uh.... No, have never had that. ?? the big honkin' pickles I've found
at fairs, especially Renaissance Faires, are pickled dill cucumbers.

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/18/2014 11:02 AM, Lucille wrote:

> I like the sweet sliced pickles and it also has some small onions, red peppers and cauliflower in it.

Are you talking about "bread & butter" chips/slices?

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/18/2014 12:41 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> On 1/18/2014 9:42 AM, gtr wrote:
>
>> Pickled eggplant? Me too!

> Did I miss the 'whoosh'?
>
> Uh.... No, have never had that. ?? the big honkin' pickles I've found
> at fairs, especially Renaissance Faires, are pickled dill cucumbers.

Before someone replies: no, they're not dill cucumbers, the pickling is.

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 18, 2014 12:36:38 AM UTC-6, DreadfulBitch wrote:

> I love buying one of the big honkin' pickles at fairs. Mmm mmm!!

Size matters, eh?

> --
>
> DreadfulBitch
>
> --B

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 18, 2014 1:45:14 PM UTC-5, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> On 1/18/2014 11:02 AM, Lucille wrote:
>

> > I like the sweet sliced pickles and it also has some small onions, red peppers and cauliflower in it.

> Are you talking about "bread & butter" chips/slices?
>

> --
>
> DreadfulBitch
>

> I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
>
> .....Steven Wright

Yes, that's the kind I like. I don't like dill or the sour pickles.
Apple cider vinegar or baking soda mixed with some water is also good to get rid of heart burn. (From Dr Oz.) But too much baking soda can give you diarrhea.

Lucille

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 07:51:31 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> "Extra pickles please."
> "Which kind?"
> "Huh?"
> "Which kind of pickle; we got carrots, cucumbers, daikon, bean sprouts,
> beets, okra, onion..."

I like the pickled vegetables that come on Bahn Mi.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...t-do-chua.html
http://battleofthebanhmi.com/how-to-...n-and-carrots/

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:12:37 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> There are also "half-done" pickles that are bright green and only
> briefly pickled. I prefer those,

Those things are the crack of (cucumber) pickles!

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/18/2014 2:24 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:12:37 -0500, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> There are also "half-done" pickles that are bright green and only
>> briefly pickled. I prefer those,

> Those things are the crack of (cucumber) pickles!

They are. Can't get enough of them when I can get them.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 12:45:14 -0600, DreadfulBitch
> wrote:

> On 1/18/2014 11:02 AM, Lucille wrote:
>
> > I like the sweet sliced pickles and it also has some small onions, red peppers and cauliflower in it.

> Are you talking about "bread & butter" chips/slices?

I didn't know bread and butter pickles had all that "stuff" in it!
All this time, I thought it was just sweet cucumber pickles.
http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/i...r-pickles.html

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-01-18 20:23:25 +0000, sf said:

> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 07:51:31 -0800, gtr > wrote:
>
>> "Extra pickles please."
>> "Which kind?"
>> "Huh?"
>> "Which kind of pickle; we got carrots, cucumbers, daikon, bean sprouts,
>> beets, okra, onion..."
>>

> I like the pickled vegetables that come on Bahn Mi.
> http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...t-do-chua.html
>
> http://battleofthebanhmi.com/how-to-...n-and-carrots/

My wife is crazy about that pickle. Whenever we get a banh mi, she
always picks up a tub of that stuff. She makes them occasionally.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/18/14, 9:58 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>....Anything else must be
> qualified using the past tense of the verb, "pickled [xyz]"....

Well, no -- the past participle, actually.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-01-18 18:41:49 +0000, DreadfulBitch said:

> On 1/18/2014 9:42 AM, gtr wrote:
>
>> Pickled eggplant? Me too!

> Did I miss the 'whoosh'?
>
> Uh.... No, have never had that. ?? the big honkin' pickles I've found
> at fairs, especially Renaissance Faires, are pickled dill cucumbers.

Right, I meant to add "Of course, I say this only in jest".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/18/2014 1:41 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> On 1/18/2014 9:42 AM, gtr wrote:
>
>> Pickled eggplant? Me too!

> Did I miss the 'whoosh'?
>
> Uh.... No, have never had that. ?? the big honkin' pickles I've found
> at fairs, especially Renaissance Faires, are pickled dill cucumbers.

Dill cucumber? They are just cucumbers, but pickled in a brine
flavoured with dill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 13:07:06 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> On 2014-01-18 20:23:25 +0000, sf said:
>

> > I like the pickled vegetables that come on Bahn Mi.
> > http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...t-do-chua.html
> >
> > http://battleofthebanhmi.com/how-to-...n-and-carrots/
> >

> My wife is crazy about that pickle. Whenever we get a banh mi, she
> always picks up a tub of that stuff. She makes them occasionally.

Does she ever make grilled chicken banh mi? If so, will you please
share her marinade recipe?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 08:58:53 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> If you go to restaurant and order extra pickles on your sandwich, do
> you really think they're going to add beets or eggs?

Boy are you smokin' wacky tobaccy again?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 12:09:43 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> And I've heard of "half sours"

Damned straight, you are one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-01-18 22:39:03 +0000, sf said:

> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 13:07:06 -0800, gtr > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-01-18 20:23:25 +0000, sf said:
>>
>>> I like the pickled vegetables that come on Bahn Mi.
>>> http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...t-do-chua.html
>>>

>>> http://battleofthebanhmi.com/how-to-...n-and-carrots/
>>>

>> My wife is crazy about that pickle. Whenever we get a banh mi, she
>> always picks up a tub of that stuff. She makes them occasionally.

> Does she ever make grilled chicken banh mi? If so, will you please
> share her marinade recipe?

I may have confused things: She only makes the carrot/daikon pickle,
not the samwich. We did make a lot of Vietnamese food about 18 years
ago during a little phase and we had a little pot-belly hibachi. She
may well have had a marinade for the chicken we made during that period
of time. I'll poke around and see if there's anything of note.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 18, 2014 2:36:28 PM UTC-6, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 1/18/2014 2:24 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:12:37 -0500, James Silverton

> > > wrote:

> >> There are also "half-done" pickles that are bright green and only

> >> briefly pickled. I prefer those,

> > Those things are the crack of (cucumber) pickles!

> They are. Can't get enough of them when I can get them.

You don't have a Jewish deli nearby?

For a few months, John Kuthe and I shared an apartment right over a Kosher
deli. Nice fresh pickles, and Wilno brand salamis. I'd like to kick Sara Lee in its corporate c*^& for killing off Wilno. Those shriveled up sausages were
something special.

When eating cured (nitrited) meats, taking a Vitamin C tablet will help
mitigate any carcinogenic effects by inhibiting the conversion to nitrosamines.

> --
>
> Janet Wilder

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/18/2014 6:48 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 14:36:28 -0600, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> On 1/18/2014 2:24 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:12:37 -0500, James Silverton

>>> Those things are the crack of (cucumber) pickles!

>> They are. Can't get enough of them when I can get them.

> Are we talking the same tings as 'half-sours' - AKA fermented pickles
> using salt water?
>
> -sw

Yes, we are. If I can get hold of cukes that haven't been waxed, I've
made my own. Unfortunately the neighbor who grew them moved. Later in
the year I might find some at the local organic farmers market.

I used to go with my Mom to the Lower East Side of NYC and she'd buy
them in gallon jars that were filled directly from the barrel.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/18/2014 7:13 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Saturday, January 18, 2014 2:36:28 PM UTC-6, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 1/18/2014 2:24 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 11:12:37 -0500, James Silverton

>>> Those things are the crack of (cucumber) pickles!

>> They are. Can't get enough of them when I can get them.
>>

> You don't have a Jewish deli nearby?

Are you kidding? I live on the edge of Mexico.

The closest thing we have to that would be a local 3 store chain of deli
sandwich restaurants that gets its meat from Bests in Chicago and
Jason's Deli. Both of them use Cisco-type vinegar-sour dills.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/18/2014 8:47 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 20:04:59 -0600, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> On 1/18/2014 6:48 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 14:36:28 -0600, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>>
>>> Are we talking the same tings as 'half-sours' - AKA fermented pickles
>>> using salt water?
>>>

>> Yes, we are. If I can get hold of cukes that haven't been waxed, I've
>> made my own. Unfortunately the neighbor who grew them moved. Later in
>> the year I might find some at the local organic farmers market.

> From what I've seen the picvkling cukes are never waxed. But they
> cost $1.79/lb at the regular grocery stores. The Asian store always
> has them but they're always rubbery - not fresh. I had to make my
> kimchi this morning with Persian cukes - AKA "baby cucumbers" (which
> is misleading)
>
>> I used to go with my Mom to the Lower East Side of NYC and she'd buy
>> them in gallon jars that were filled directly from the barrel.

> "Half-done" sounds stupid. They are fully-done for the method of
> pickling, they're just less sour (and a better sour than using
> vinegar). So "half-sour" makes much more sense. To me, at least.
>
> -sw

we always called them half-sour. I believe the ones that are sold in
jars are also called half-sour. I never heard of half-done.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> On 1/18/2014 11:02 AM, Lucille wrote:
>
>> I like the sweet sliced pickles and it also has some small onions, red
>> peppers and cauliflower in it.

> Are you talking about "bread & butter" chips/slices?

I think she means that stuff that sf mentioned. Giar...something or other.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 12:45:14 -0600, DreadfulBitch
> > wrote:
>
>> On 1/18/2014 11:02 AM, Lucille wrote:
>>
>> > I like the sweet sliced pickles and it also has some small onions, red
>> > peppers and cauliflower in it.

>> Are you talking about "bread & butter" chips/slices?

> I didn't know bread and butter pickles had all that "stuff" in it!
> All this time, I thought it was just sweet cucumber pickles.
> http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/i...r-pickles.html

They don't have all that stuff in them. Not usually anyway...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 17:01:51 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> On 2014-01-18 22:39:03 +0000, sf said:

> >> My wife is crazy about that pickle. Whenever we get a banh mi, she
> >> always picks up a tub of that stuff. She makes them occasionally.

> > Does she ever make grilled chicken banh mi? If so, will you please
> > share her marinade recipe?

> I may have confused things: She only makes the carrot/daikon pickle,
> not the samwich. We did make a lot of Vietnamese food about 18 years
> ago during a little phase and we had a little pot-belly hibachi. She
> may well have had a marinade for the chicken we made during that period
> of time. I'll poke around and see if there's anything of note.

Not sure why she would bother to make the Viet style pickled
vegetables and not put them on banh mi, but HEY - take a chance and
ASK her!

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-01-19 05:32:52 +0000, sf said:

> On Sat, 18 Jan 2014 17:01:51 -0800, gtr > wrote:

>>> Does she ever make grilled chicken banh mi? If so, will you please
>>> share her marinade recipe?

>> I may have confused things: She only makes the carrot/daikon pickle,
>> not the samwich. We did make a lot of Vietnamese food about 18 years
>> ago during a little phase and we had a little pot-belly hibachi. She
>> may well have had a marinade for the chicken we made during that period
>> of time. I'll poke around and see if there's anything of note.

> Not sure why she would bother to make the Viet style pickled vegetables
> and not put them on banh mi,

Because she likes the pickle. Some pickles can be used in more than one
circumstance.

> but HEY - take a chance and ASK her!

I don't need to; I already know: She likes them as a pickle and so can
eat the many time.

They're not WIRED to a single sandwich. Just like the rest of pickles
all over the globe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"SIR TOBY. 'Tis a gentleman here. [Hiccups] A plague o' these
pickle-herring! How now, sot!"
Shakespeare, *Twelfth Night; or, What You Will* Act I Scene 5 (1602)

"CLEOPATRA. What say you? Hence,
Horrible villain! or I'll spurn thine eyes
Like balls before me; I'll unhair thy head.
Thou shalt be whipp'd with wire and stew'd in brine
Smarting in ling'ring pickle."
Shakespeare, *Antony and Cleopatra*, Act II Scene 5 (1606-1607)

"ALONSO. And Trinculo is reeling ripe; where should they
Find this grand liquor that hath gilded 'em?
How cam'st thou in this pickle?
"TRINCULO. I have been in such a pickle since I saw you
last that, I fear me, will never out of my bones. I
shall not fear fly-blowing."
Shakespeare, *The Tempest* Act V Scene 1 (1610-1611)

--
Bob
www.kanyak.com

Pickles The Cook Preserving 16 04-07-2011 12:44 PM
Pickles Mark A.Meggs Preserving 2 20-07-2010 03:39 AM
Bread and Butter Pickles vs Yum Yum Pickles WLinington General Cooking 19 29-10-2009 10:56 PM
hot pickles grawun General Cooking 18 04-12-2006 02:43 PM
pickles [email protected] General Cooking 15 19-11-2005 09:39 PM