Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default False conceptions of what other countries eat.

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-01-31 20:00, The Other Guy wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:25:06 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Sheldon you are sooo wrong!

>> I have NO idea why you even read his posts, let alone reply to them.
>>

> And I wonder why you would read Julie's crap and bother to respond. She
> is certifiable.

And your credentials are...?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 23:11:26 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Thanks! And I never said that food in Mexico is anything like Taco Bell.
>>Heck, I don't normally even eat at Taco Bell. I might do it once or twice
>>year only because it is one of the few places close enough to the recital
>>venue where I can get food. But it would never be a place of choice for
>>me.

> I grew up and still live in San Diego.
> All in my family loved Mexican food, but not me.
> I prefer Italian as an 'ethnic' food.
>
> But I LOVE real tamales, and a few other Mexican dishes,
> just not anything from fast food Mexican restaurants.

I like *some* things from fast food Mexican places but I know it isn't
really Mexican food. I love some kinds of tamales. I never had them as a
child unless I was lucky enough to find a frozen dinner with one in there.
Not even remotely close to the real thing either, I know. My mom hates
tamales so they were never served in our house. And in those days, no
Mexican restaurants served them. Now some do.

I can't say that I like Italian food as a whole. A few dishes, yes. But
much like Mexican food places in this country, much of what is called
Italian is a far cry from what is really served in Italy. I married an
Italian American so I know that seafood is big in Italy. But you won't see
much seafood in Italian places here. You see the same old, same old. Lots
of pasta, pizza. Maybe chicken Parm. You'll see some different things in
NY but still lots of pasta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 03:58:40 -0600, Alan Holbrook >
> wrote:
>
>>I'm speechless. Hard to speak when you're laughing that hard. Now
>>you're going to inspire a thread about the old canard that Brits don't
>>have a sense of humor...(Ever watch 'Mrs. Brown'?)

> Brits have a fantastic sense of humor, but it's often subtle,
> then at times, totally over the top.
>
> It does take more concentration from non-Brits to understand,
> AND at times, inside knowledge of the culture, though.

Damn, we been sussed ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 03:58:40 -0600, Alan Holbrook >
> wrote:
>
>>I'm speechless. Hard to speak when you're laughing that hard. Now
>>you're going to inspire a thread about the old canard that Brits don't
>>have a sense of humor...(Ever watch 'Mrs. Brown'?)

> Brits have a fantastic sense of humor, but it's often subtle,
> then at times, totally over the top.
>
> It does take more concentration from non-Brits to understand,
> AND at times, inside knowledge of the culture, though.

Damn, we've been sussed ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 31, 2014 7:19:49 AM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Friday, January 31, 2014 6:56:56 AM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:
>

> > Refried beans? They are beans that have been fried only once. Mashed up of course. I don't think I ever had frijoles refritos in Mexico, although I had it up to the ears with that stuff in Guatemala.

> Mexicans get pretty upset if you confuse them with Central Americans.
> And Mexicans don't eat refried beans.

Really? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refried_beans
I prefer to eat at taquerias frequented mostly by Mexicans, and I've seen
many Mexicans eat refritos.

> > As for tacos, yes Mexicans do eat tacos. I've seen this phenomenon many times.

> No, they don't.

I've seen those same Mexicans eat tacos.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco

--B

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/1/2014 1:09 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> She just likes to get on my case all of the time. Has been ever since
> she found that newsgroup. And now this one. Clearly there are
> personality differences but she is most intolerant to things that don't
> agree with her philosophies and such.

That's your take on things, Julie, but it's not accurate. I'm not, and
never have been, intolerant of things that don't agree with my
philosophies (and such - whatever that means). I really don't like it
when someone posts information as if it were the only viewpoint.

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/1/2014 1:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> I'm also T2 and have been for quite a few years. I've been reading
>> Julie's posts in alt.support.diabetes for a long time. Please don't
>> take her posts as gospel. She's got a lot of opinions that aren't
>> necessarily those of mainstream medical care.

> Oh? Such as...?

Sorry, not going to ASD to search for your posts.

>> I'd suggest you read alt.support.diabetes for real diverse and usually
>> very helpful discussions about diabetes.

> Hardly diverse. Most there are low carbers. If you're not a low
> carber, you'll have a hard time there and get lots of flack.

Again, Julie, this is not accurate. Ophelia, and others, will not know
that unless they choose to investigate themselves.

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> projektilevomitchick wrote:
> > Alan Holbrook wrote:
> >>
> >> To your point, I have a great deal of trouble taking most

> "Mexican" food >> seriously after being directed to a couple of
> authentic places in San >> Diego
> >
> > Yes, I tried to point that out before, but was told by the Squartz
> > that I don't know anything about the Mexicans that make up over 50%
> > of the population of where I live, even though he lives 800 to the
> > south of me and does not know me other than on shitty Usenet.
> > Now I see he is asserting (in another thread, and no I'm not going
> > to go look it up, do it yourself) that Mexicans put out nacho
> > cheese with their horrible "chips" in Mexican restaurants, and that
> > is supposed to be an "upgrade"....LOL....I really wonder about the
> > sanity of people on here. But I digress.
> > Whatever.
> > I think Julie Bove and Sqwertz and Bwwwwwwyyyyyyannnnnnnnn have
> > lost a grip on reality.

> I lived in San Diego for a couple years, there is NO Mexican food
> there... NO border food is Mexican food... Mexican's do NOT eat that
> Taco Bellish shit. Mexico is a huge country, there is no one Mexican
> cusine, but they simply do NOT eat tacos, nachos, chili, burritos, and
> that ilk... then you may as well say US Chinese take-out is authentic
> Chinese cusine. Julie Bove, Sqwertz, and Bwrrryan haven't the
> slightest clue what Mexicans eat... there is NO Mexican food in all of
> Texass, NONE! Mexicans don't even eat refried beans, they never
> heard of such crap. I've been all through Mexico, regular folks there
> mostly eat a lot eggs, chicken, and they eat a LOT of seafood and a
> tremendous quantity of fresh veggies and fruit. Mexicans don't eat
> anything resembling what Americans think is Mexican food.

Oh give it a rest. You wouldnt know Mexican food if it was served to
you on a silver plate.

It is a big country. It's versions are as endless as ours are. Like
most great things, you get fusion across the borders and you have Baja
Mexico in San Diego. Did you expect to see southerly versions made
near Panama in TJ?

Sure they eat lots of fruits in season and other things at season.
Folks along the coast use lots of fish/seafood too traditionally.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Feb 2014 14:54:55 -0600, DreadfulBitch wrote:

> On 2/1/2014 8:41 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> I'm curious, vomitchick, why you sometimes post such nasty crap but at
>>> other times you contribute thoughtful posts?

>> Heh. The same could be said of your posts.

> You never have, and you never will, see a follow up post from me where I
> suggest someone has ****ed in the food they're offering for sale. That's
> just so out of the blue and nasty. What's the point of this post?
>
>> BTW, PVC was (one of the few) regular posters who welcomed you to this
>> NG. Just sayin'

> And I am thankful for that and that would have been one of the "nice"
> posts, not something clear out of the blue that makes no sense and is
> just nasty.

When r.f.c. becomes a moderated NG you can apply for the position of Chief
Moderator.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> On 2/1/2014 1:08 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>>> I'm also T2 and have been for quite a few years. I've been reading
>>> Julie's posts in alt.support.diabetes for a long time. Please don't
>>> take her posts as gospel. She's got a lot of opinions that aren't
>>> necessarily those of mainstream medical care.

>> Oh? Such as...?

> Sorry, not going to ASD to search for your posts.
>>>
>>> I'd suggest you read alt.support.diabetes for real diverse and usually
>>> very helpful discussions about diabetes.

>> Hardly diverse. Most there are low carbers. If you're not a low
>> carber, you'll have a hard time there and get lots of flack.

> Again, Julie, this is not accurate. Ophelia, and others, will not know
> that unless they choose to investigate themselves.

Well, nobody's stopping her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/1/2014 8:08 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:

> When r.f.c. becomes a moderated NG you can apply for the position of Chief
> Moderator.

No thank you!

And, what does my simple question to someone else, ChattyCathy, have to
do with a site being moderated? PVC can post as many gross comments as
she'd like and I'd never suggest or want that she stop. I'm just
curious why the 180* swing in attitude between posts.

It would seem PVC has no interest in answering my question to her so
this whole thread can be dropped as far as I'm concerned. Or, we can go
back and forth forever! I'm game...

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 15:52:40 -0600, DreadfulBitch wrote:

> On 2/1/2014 8:08 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> When r.f.c. becomes a moderated NG you can apply for the position of
>> Chief Moderator.
>>

> No thank you!
>
> And, what does my simple question to someone else, ChattyCathy, have to
> do with a site being moderated? PVC can post as many gross comments as
> she'd like and I'd never suggest or want that she stop. I'm just
> curious why the 180* swing in attitude between posts.
>
> It would seem PVC has no interest in answering my question to her so
> this whole thread can be dropped as far as I'm concerned.

The whole thread can be dropped as far as *you're* concerned. Hmmm, OK.

> Or, we can go back and forth forever! I'm game...

Sure, if you've got nothing to contribute about food then I can carry on
arguing with you if it pleases you - or you could share what you made for
dinner last night...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/3/2014 8:46 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:

> Sure, if you've got nothing to contribute about food then I can carry on
> arguing with you if it pleases you - or you could share what you made for
> dinner last night...

Dinner last night was a large salad. Iceberg lettuce, shredded carrots,
sliced celery, sliced onions (sweet, white onion), shredded cheddar
cheese, sliced black olives, sunflower seeds, sliced almonds. I used a
new (to me) Kraft salad dressing, sun dried tomato/italian. Very tasty!
With the salad I had a chunk of black rye bread from the local grocery
bakery.

All very tasty and very filling!

Dinner tonight has been whatever I can put my hand around from the
fridge. I'm just grazing.

You?

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 21:09:40 -0600, DreadfulBitch
> wrote:

> You?

I think you have plenty to contribute. Not sure what Cathy's deal is
currently. She seems to be more like a Janet UK at this point... you
can take the extrapolation from there.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 21:09:40 -0600, DreadfulBitch
> > wrote:
>
>> You?

> I think you have plenty to contribute. Not sure what Cathy's deal is
> currently. She seems to be more like a Janet UK at this point... you
> can take the extrapolation from there.

Um, uh, wha? Hardly!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 20:17:34 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 21:09:40 -0600, DreadfulBitch
> > wrote:
>
>> You?

> I think you have plenty to contribute. Not sure what Cathy's deal is
> currently. She seems to be more like a Janet UK at this point... you
> can take the extrapolation from there.

<snork> I think Janet UK might be offended by that remark.

Heh, it would seem I still annoy you whenever you make stupid assumptions
about my taste in food (and dumb statements about other stuff) and I call
you on them - which has been going on for years, so there's no 'currently'
about it...

Once again, let me state that I don't like warm or cooked avocado; clearly
you do - and that's perfectly fine with me. And the fact that you don't
like meringue and I do, doesn't bother me in the least either. You can
also go on assuming that your taste in food is some sort of 'official
standard' to go by, but I hate to break this to you - it isn't.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 21:09:40 -0600, DreadfulBitch wrote:

> Dinner tonight has been whatever I can put my hand around from the
> fridge.
> I'm just grazing.
>
> You?

We had smoked salmon last night - followed by Pavlova for dessert.

Tonight I've decided on chicken breasts, cut into bite sized piece -
cooked in a creamy sauce that also involves a dollop of German mustard, a
tablespoon or two of peach chutney, bell peppers and onions. I will also
make some basmati rice and serve it over that.

BTW, there's a significant time difference between here (RSA) and the USA
- and no matter which time zone you're in, we usually have dinner before
you do... unless you're in the UK - in which case there's only an hour or
two's difference.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 21:09:40 -0600, DreadfulBitch wrote:
>

>> Dinner tonight has been whatever I can put my hand around from the
>> fridge.
>> I'm just grazing.
>>
>> You?

> We had smoked salmon last night - followed by Pavlova for dessert.
>
> Tonight I've decided on chicken breasts, cut into bite sized piece -
> cooked in a creamy sauce that also involves a dollop of German mustard, a
> tablespoon or two of peach chutney, bell peppers and onions. I will also
> make some basmati rice and serve it over that.
>
> BTW, there's a significant time difference between here (RSA) and the USA
> - and no matter which time zone you're in, we usually have dinner before
> you do... unless you're in the UK - in which case there's only an hour or
> two's difference.

I had a sandwich so tall that I had to cut it with a fork to eat it.
Toasted honey whole wheat bread, Nucoa, three kinds of faux cheese,
tomatoes, green pepper and white onion. Far too many veggies to put in
there so just kind of piled them around the plate. I did nuke it. No way
could I have flipped it and by the time I got to *my* dinner, it was late
and I needed the food right away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 21:37:59 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 21:09:40 -0600, DreadfulBitch
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> You?

>> I think you have plenty to contribute. Not sure what Cathy's deal is
>> currently. She seems to be more like a Janet UK at this point... you
>> can take the extrapolation from there.

> Um, uh, wha? Hardly!

Like I said in another post, Janet Uk would probably be offended by sf's
remarks. However, considering this thread originated on 2014-01-15 (which
makes it 3 weeks old and therefore 'old news' as far as sf is concerned)
made me laugh quite loudly too. Of course sf will probably claim that she
was responding to a 'recent post' - which makes it all OK in her book.
<snork> I just find her double-standards very amusing, but can't speak for
anybody else, of course.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 11:36:37 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

> Once again, let me state that I don't like warm or cooked avocado; clearly
> you do - and that's perfectly fine with me. And the fact that you don't
> like meringue and I do, doesn't bother me in the least either. You can
> also go on assuming that your taste in food is some sort of 'official
> standard' to go by, but I hate to break this to you - it isn't.

Cathy, you're an idiot.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 05:58:00 -0800, sf wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 11:36:37 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> Once again, let me state that I don't like warm or cooked avocado;
>> clearly you do - and that's perfectly fine with me. And the fact that
>> you don't like meringue and I do, doesn't bother me in the least
>> either. You can also go on assuming that your taste in food is some
>> sort of 'official standard' to go by, but I hate to break this to you -
>> it isn't.

> Cathy, you're an idiot.

I love you too, sf.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 21:37:59 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 21:09:40 -0600, DreadfulBitch

>>> I think you have plenty to contribute. Not sure what Cathy's deal is
>>> currently. She seems to be more like a Janet UK at this point... you
>>> can take the extrapolation from there.

>> Um, uh, wha? Hardly!

> Like I said in another post, Janet Uk would probably be offended by sf's
> remarks. However, considering this thread originated on 2014-01-15 (which
> makes it 3 weeks old and therefore 'old news' as far as sf is concerned)
> made me laugh quite loudly too. Of course sf will probably claim that she
> was responding to a 'recent post' - which makes it all OK in her book.
> <snork> I just find her double-standards very amusing, but can't speak for
> anybody else, of course.

I think she has double standards too,.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 05:58:00 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 04 Feb 2014 11:36:37 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:
>>
>>> Once again, let me state that I don't like warm or cooked avocado;
>>> clearly
>>> you do - and that's perfectly fine with me. And the fact that you don't
>>> like meringue and I do, doesn't bother me in the least either. You can
>>> also go on assuming that your taste in food is some sort of 'official
>>> standard' to go by, but I hate to break this to you - it isn't.

>>Cathy, you're an idiot.

> That's your opinion, mine varies from that lol

sf's just varies. She'll say one thing one time and a totally different
thing another time. I don't think Cathy is an idiot though.