Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default False conceptions of what other countries eat.

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 6:28:18 AM UTC-6, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> I just finished a can. First breakfast was a piece of pollock, but when I
>
> saw kipper, I couldn't resist. Fish for breakfast, and I'm an American.

Have you had jugged kippers? With a nice beer and a good bread, it's brilliant.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:14:50 AM UTC-6, White Spirit wrote:
> On 15/01/2014 13:11, Helpful person wrote:
>

> > British food gets a bad rap, however I bet very few people outside

> > the island know what it is. This goes doubly for Scotland.

> All the Americans I know who have visited here loved our food.

Yes because Americans are fat-assed buffoons and your deep-fried obsessions are a major plus.

Besides, most of those dumb****s think they will see the Loch Ness monster. LOL

I'm sure Julie will cut in and tell about how she is allergic to Scotland now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:57:49 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> I have very little interest in world history but I have read about cuisine.

An oxymoron, if I ever saw one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:25:06 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> projektilevomitchick wrote:

>>>Yes, I tried to point that out before, but was told by the Squartz that
>>>I don't know anything about the Mexicans that make up over 50% of the
>>>population of where I live, even though he lives 800 to the south of me
>>>and does not know me other than on shitty Usenet.
>>>Now I see he is asserting (in another thread, and no I'm not going to
>>>go look it up, do it yourself) that Mexicans put out nacho cheese with
>>>their horrible "chips" in Mexican restaurants, and that is supposed to
>>>be an "upgrade"....LOL....I really wonder about the sanity of people on
>>>here.
>>>But I digress.
>>>Whatever.
>>>I think Julie Bove and Sqwertz and Bwwwwwwyyyyyyannnnnnnnn have lost a
>>>grip on reality.

>> I lived in San Diego for a couple years, there is NO Mexican food
>> there... NO border food is Mexican food... Mexican's do NOT eat that
>> Taco Bellish shit. Mexico is a huge country, there is no one Mexican
>> cusine, but they simply do NOT eat tacos, nachos, chili, burritos, and
>> that ilk... then you may as well say US Chinese take-out is authentic
>> Chinese cusine. Julie Bove, Sqwertz, and Bwrrryan haven't the
>> slightest clue what Mexicans eat... there is NO Mexican food in all of
>> Texass, NONE! Mexicans don't even eat refried beans, they never
>> heard of such crap. I've been all through Mexico, regular folks there
>> mostly eat a lot eggs, chicken, and they eat a LOT of seafood and a
>> tremendous quantity of fresh veggies and fruit. Mexicans don't eat
>> anything resembling what Americans think is Mexican food.

>Sheldon you are sooo wrong! Mexicans *do* eat tacos but they are not the
>crisp shell kind so frequently eaten here. There are taco stands all over
>Mexico. And no, I've never been there.

Then STFU!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/31/2014 9:50 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:25:06 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> Sheldon you are sooo wrong! Mexicans *do* eat tacos but they are not the
>> crisp shell kind so frequently eaten here. There are taco stands all over
>> Mexico. And no, I've never been there.

> Then STFU!

Truly. How can someone who has never been to Mexico unequivocally state
there are taco stands "all over Mexico"? Some nitwit probably told her so.

My neighbor went to Mexico with some friends a couple of years ago. I
don't remember the area but it wasn't a "tourist" destination (i.e.
caters to Americans). One of the women has a vacation home somewhere
down there and they stayed in her house. My neighbor is from Minnesota.
She had a preconceived notion about "Mexican" food. She said she was
*amazed* at the variety of seafood, fresh fruits and vegetables. Nary a
taco in sight, soft or otherwise. Warm tortillas sometimes accompanied
a meal, sure, much like bread in US restaurants. They weren't for
making tacos.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:41:10 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:53:53 AM UTC-6, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> > > BUT....you're turning Japanese, you're really turning Japanese, I

> > > really think so.

> > Back when I was in my mid-twenties and smoked (my version of living with a ferret), I used to have a Fry Daddy, and I fried Mrs. Paul's/Gorton's

> > fish fillets up for breakfast most days, and I'd douse them with RealLemon.

> Wow, fish sticks, a ferret, and a Fry Daddy. No wonder you're such a ****ing whacko. Did you inject methamphetamines, too?

No. Gary has ferrets. I was figuring that cigarettes and ferrets both
interfere with flavor perception. I have never injected any drug, but in high school white crosses were easily available.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-31, jmcquown > wrote:

> Truly. How can someone who has never been to Mexico unequivocally state
> there are taco stands "all over Mexico"?

Probably the same way we know the Earth is round and the moon orbits
around it, cuz minds waaaay smarter than ours told us so!

"The taco predates the arrival of Europeans in Mexico."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco

What!? You ppl think "taco" is a corporate fabrication, like Spam or
Velveeta? You think a corn tortilla never got wrapped around some
meat until Taco Bell said it was OK? This is the dumbest argument
I've seen on rfc in a long time.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/31/2014 11:02 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-01-31, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Truly. How can someone who has never been to Mexico unequivocally state
>> there are taco stands "all over Mexico"?

> Probably the same way we know the Earth is round and the moon orbits
> around it, cuz minds waaaay smarter than ours told us so!
>
> "The taco predates the arrival of Europeans in Mexico."
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco
>
> What!? You ppl think "taco" is a corporate fabrication, like Spam or
> Velveeta? You think a corn tortilla never got wrapped around some
> meat until Taco Bell said it was OK? This is the dumbest argument
> I've seen on rfc in a long time.
>
> nb

It's not an argument, nb. I've never been to Mexico, don't claim to.
But I have talked with people (in person) who have been to different
parts of Mexico. The food in no way resembled Taco Bell fare.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:57:49 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> I have very little interest in world history but I have read about
> cuisine.

>An oxymoron, if I ever saw one.

There's a food/cooking show I listen to on NPR that often has interviews
with food historians. Food Historian!
That would be one of the best jobs ever!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-31, jmcquown > wrote:

> "My neighbor went to Mexico with some friends a couple of years ago."

> It's not an argument, nb. [...] But I have talked with people (in person)
> who have been to different parts of Mexico.

That's twice you've iterated that fact. Sounds suspiciously like
you're arguing, to me.

> The food in no way resembled Taco Bell fare.

Please point out who claimed it did.

nb (feeling particularly pesky, this morning
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/31/2014 1:46 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-01-31, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> "My neighbor went to Mexico with some friends a couple of years ago."

>> It's not an argument, nb. [...] But I have talked with people (in person)
>> who have been to different parts of Mexico.

> That's twice you've iterated that fact. Sounds suspiciously like
> you're arguing, to me.
>
>> The food in no way resembled Taco Bell fare.

> Please point out who claimed it did.
>
> nb (feeling particularly pesky, this morning

Julie. You snipped the part where she said she'd never been to Mexico
but there are "taco stands" all over Mexico.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 31, 2014 1:46:01 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-01-31, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > The food in no way resembled Taco Bell fare.

> Please point out who claimed it did.
>
> nb (feeling particularly pesky, this morning

Guess what, everyone in Mexico believes that food in the USA resembles McDonalds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-31, jmcquown > wrote:

> Julie. You snipped the part where she said she'd never been to Mexico
> but there are "taco stands" all over Mexico.

I don't even read Bove-ine spoor. KF'd that cow ages ago.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/30/2014 9:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> You like the food? Your family likes the food? Buy it. Make it. Eat
> it. Get over it. No need to classify it. You're not entering it into
> some cooking contest, are you?

Julie, this is the first time I have agreed with you in maybe forever.

If you like it and your family likes it, it doesn't have to have a name
or ethnicity. Make it, eat it, and don't worry what the food "experts"
(AKA snobs) think.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/31/2014 2:46 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-01-31, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Julie. You snipped the part where she said she'd never been to Mexico
>> but there are "taco stands" all over Mexico.

> I don't even read Bove-ine spoor. KF'd that cow ages ago.
>
> nb

Ditto. I just read the follow-ups and see where she's said some really
ridiculous things.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-31 11:53 AM, bhigh wrote:

>> An oxymoron, if I ever saw one.

> There's a food/cooking show I listen to on NPR that often has interviews
> with food historians. Food Historian!
> That would be one of the best jobs ever!

And eat old food? That could be dangerous.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/31/2014 2:46 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2014-01-31, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> Julie. You snipped the part where she said she'd never been to Mexico
>>> but there are "taco stands" all over Mexico.

>> I don't even read Bove-ine spoor. KF'd that cow ages ago.
>>
>> nb
>>

> Ditto. I just read the follow-ups and see where she's said some really
> ridiculous things.

She has given me some excellent advice on diabetes which I checked out.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/31/2014 3:34 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I don't even read Bove-ine spoor. KF'd that cow ages ago.
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

>> Ditto. I just read the follow-ups and see where she's said some
>> really ridiculous things.

> She has given me some excellent advice on diabetes which I checked out.

I'm also T2 and have been for quite a few years. I've been reading
Julie's posts in alt.support.diabetes for a long time. Please don't
take her posts as gospel. She's got a lot of opinions that aren't
necessarily those of mainstream medical care.

I'd suggest you read alt.support.diabetes for real diverse and usually
very helpful discussions about diabetes.

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> On 1/31/2014 3:34 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Ditto. I just read the follow-ups and see where she's said some
>>> really ridiculous things.

>> She has given me some excellent advice on diabetes which I checked out.
>>

> I'm also T2 and have been for quite a few years. I've been reading
> Julie's posts in alt.support.diabetes for a long time. Please don't take
> her posts as gospel. She's got a lot of opinions that aren't necessarily
> those of mainstream medical care.

Did you miss where I said that I had checked out her advice?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/31/2014 4:53 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> She has given me some excellent advice on diabetes which I checked out.
>>>

>> I'm also T2 and have been for quite a few years. I've been reading
>> Julie's posts in alt.support.diabetes for a long time. Please don't take
>> her posts as gospel. She's got a lot of opinions that aren't necessarily
>> those of mainstream medical care.

> Did you miss where I said that I had checked out her advice?

No, I'm simply trying to point out another source of information for you
to add to your arsenal. ASD has been around for a very long time and
will offer info from all kinds of sources, including Julie. Almost all,
if not all, are diabetics and I've found the varying source of info to
be very valuable.

You obviously know how to use usenet so finding and subscribing to ASD
should be easy for you.

If you choose to learn from one source, so be it.

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, January 31, 2014 4:44:35 AM UTC-8, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 2:07:39 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > This American food thing got me to thinking.

> > So did you have any false conceptions of foods that are eaten in other

> > countries? Or heard of any such things?

> One thing that comes to mind is 'Canadian Bacon'. We call it back bacon here, and it's not served as a breakfast meat in many restaurants. Unless you order eggs benedict. I prefer regular bacon, and I think most Canadians prefer regular bacon. I haven't had back bacon for years. Same with poutine. To make a proper poutine, you need to have very fresh cheese curds, and a proper gravy. The lower end restaurants(fast food places)do not bother with doing it properly.

Long ago, a friend made some excellent English Toffee and told me the reason it was so good was that it was made with Canadian butter. She had a brother who lived in Vancouver and he would mail it, yes, mail it.

So, on our next trip to Canada I bought some and tried it. It truly did make a nice English Toffee. However, I knew that I wouldn't have a steady supply so I attempted it with our butters here. I used various combinations and I believe, I can't quite remember, it was 1/2 challenge salted and 1/2 unsalted that came very close. Now, my sister makes it with all Challenge regular salted and it is just fine.

Just goes to show you, some things are not as complicated as all that. Lesson learned.

Julie P.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-31 20:00, The Other Guy wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:25:06 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Sheldon you are sooo wrong!

> I have NO idea why you even read his posts, let alone reply to them.

And I wonder why you would read Julie's crap and bother to respond. She
is certifiable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bhigh" > wrote in message

> wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:57:49 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> I have very little interest in world history but I have read about
>> cuisine.

>>An oxymoron, if I ever saw one.

> There's a food/cooking show I listen to on NPR that often has interviews
> with food historians. Food Historian!
> That would be one of the best jobs ever!

I do like food history. And also fashion history and yes some other things
get dragged into that like wars and rationing but... I just can't get into
picking apart the dates of various wars and who did what. Or anything
having to do with when whatever county became a country or state became a
state or things like that. I know some people are into that. Not me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-01-31 11:53 AM, bhigh wrote:
>>

>>> An oxymoron, if I ever saw one.

>> There's a food/cooking show I listen to on NPR that often has interviews
>> with food historians. Food Historian!
>> That would be one of the best jobs ever!

> And eat old food? That could be dangerous.

But... They say the pull dates are meaningless!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/31/2014 9:50 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:25:06 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Sheldon you are sooo wrong! Mexicans *do* eat tacos but they are not
>>> the
>>> crisp shell kind so frequently eaten here. There are taco stands all
>>> over
>>> Mexico. And no, I've never been there.

>> Then STFU!
>>

> Truly. How can someone who has never been to Mexico unequivocally state
> there are taco stands "all over Mexico"? Some nitwit probably told her
> so.

I have seen cooking shows about Mexico. The owner of a Mexican place where
we dine now as well as one where we used to dine are from Mexico. I talk to
them. I talk to them about food! And I have the Internet. It agrees with
me. Tacos are street food.

> My neighbor went to Mexico with some friends a couple of years ago. I
> don't remember the area but it wasn't a "tourist" destination (i.e. caters
> to Americans). One of the women has a vacation home somewhere down there
> and they stayed in her house. My neighbor is from Minnesota. She had a
> preconceived notion about "Mexican" food. She said she was *amazed* at
> the variety of seafood, fresh fruits and vegetables. Nary a taco in
> sight, soft or otherwise. Warm tortillas sometimes accompanied a meal,
> sure, much like bread in US restaurants. They weren't for making tacos.

But as soon as you put something in a warm tortilla, it's a taco!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-01-31, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Truly. How can someone who has never been to Mexico unequivocally state
>> there are taco stands "all over Mexico"?

> Probably the same way we know the Earth is round and the moon orbits
> around it, cuz minds waaaay smarter than ours told us so!
>
> "The taco predates the arrival of Europeans in Mexico."
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco
>
> What!? You ppl think "taco" is a corporate fabrication, like Spam or
> Velveeta? You think a corn tortilla never got wrapped around some
> meat until Taco Bell said it was OK? This is the dumbest argument
> I've seen on rfc in a long time.
>
> nb

I think so too! Pretty damned funny. Do they think I don't have the
Internet or something?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/31/2014 11:02 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2014-01-31, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> Truly. How can someone who has never been to Mexico unequivocally state
>>> there are taco stands "all over Mexico"?

>> Probably the same way we know the Earth is round and the moon orbits
>> around it, cuz minds waaaay smarter than ours told us so!
>>
>> "The taco predates the arrival of Europeans in Mexico."
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco
>>
>> What!? You ppl think "taco" is a corporate fabrication, like Spam or
>> Velveeta? You think a corn tortilla never got wrapped around some
>> meat until Taco Bell said it was OK? This is the dumbest argument
>> I've seen on rfc in a long time.
>>
>> nb
>>

> It's not an argument, nb. I've never been to Mexico, don't claim to. But
> I have talked with people (in person) who have been to different parts of
> Mexico. The food in no way resembled Taco Bell fare.

Nobody said that it did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> Julie. You snipped the part where she said she'd never been to Mexico but
> there are "taco stands" all over Mexico.

Huh? You *do* know that a taco stand is nothing like Taco Bell. Right?
And *I* am the one who said that they sell street tacos in Mexico. Not hard
shelled, not soft. I even described them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-01-31, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Julie. You snipped the part where she said she'd never been to Mexico
>> but there are "taco stands" all over Mexico.

> I don't even read Bove-ine spoor. KF'd that cow ages ago.

She's lying nb. I never said that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I don't even read Bove-ine spoor. KF'd that cow ages ago.
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

>> Ditto. I just read the follow-ups and see where she's said some really
>> ridiculous things.

> She has given me some excellent advice on diabetes which I checked out.

And I most certainly did not say what they are claiming I did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> On 1/31/2014 3:34 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Ditto. I just read the follow-ups and see where she's said some
>>> really ridiculous things.

>> She has given me some excellent advice on diabetes which I checked out.
>>

> I'm also T2 and have been for quite a few years. I've been reading
> Julie's posts in alt.support.diabetes for a long time. Please don't take
> her posts as gospel. She's got a lot of opinions that aren't necessarily
> those of mainstream medical care.

Oh? Such as...?

> I'd suggest you read alt.support.diabetes for real diverse and usually
> very helpful discussions about diabetes.

Hardly diverse. Most there are low carbers. If you're not a low carber,
you'll have a hard time there and get lots of flack.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message

>>> She has given me some excellent advice on diabetes which I checked out.
>>>

>> I'm also T2 and have been for quite a few years. I've been reading
>> Julie's posts in alt.support.diabetes for a long time. Please don't take
>> her posts as gospel. She's got a lot of opinions that aren't necessarily
>> those of mainstream medical care.

> Did you miss where I said that I had checked out her advice?

She just likes to get on my case all of the time. Has been ever since she
found that newsgroup. And now this one. Clearly there are personality
differences but she is most intolerant to things that don't agree with her
philosophies and such.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 31 Jan 2014 16:21:38 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> I don't even read Bove-ine spoor. KF'd that cow ages ago.
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

>>Ditto. I just read the follow-ups and see where she's said some really
>>ridiculous things.

> I don't read anything from notbob, and I feel I may have
> made a mistake in not adding a filter for you.
>
> Julie is opinionated and has some odd food beliefs,
> but I find her posts more interesting than MANY other people here.

Thanks! And I never said that food in Mexico is anything like Taco Bell.
Heck, I don't normally even eat at Taco Bell. I might do it once or twice a
year only because it is one of the few places close enough to the recital
venue where I can get food. But it would never be a place of choice for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gloria p" > wrote in message
> On 1/30/2014 9:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> You like the food? Your family likes the food? Buy it. Make it. Eat
>> it. Get over it. No need to classify it. You're not entering it into
>> some cooking contest, are you?
>>

> Julie, this is the first time I have agreed with you in maybe forever.
>
> If you like it and your family likes it, it doesn't have to have a name or
> ethnicity. Make it, eat it, and don't worry what the food "experts" (AKA
> snobs) think.
>
> gloria p

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 20:25:06 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Sheldon you are sooo wrong!

> I have NO idea why you even read his posts, let alone reply to them.
>
> If he's NOT just a troll, he certainly plays one well.

Well, he likes cats. So that's a redeeming quality.