Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ladies (and maybe some gents): purse sitting in shopping cart?

I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women
who had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One
woman parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk case!

I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
much less turn my back on it. What say you?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women who
> had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One woman
> parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk case!

I often see that Bonkers! If it goes missing they we cry and kick up a
fuss, never mind it is their own fault

Once I was at the end of the belt waiting to place my groceries on it, and
a woman at the other end packing her bags. I noticed her purse/wallet
(place where we keep our cash) right at the end next to me. I could have
just walked off with it! I pointed it out to her. She said, oh it's ok,
thanks ... and she just left it there to arrive at the end of her
groceries!!

Crazy!
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women who
>had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One woman
>parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk case!
>
> I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
> much less turn my back on it. What say you?

I always put my purse in the cart seat but I would never turn my back on it
or walk away. If I am shopping with Angela and I need to take a few steps
away, I have her watch it. My purse is huge so it's a pain to carry.

I do know how common it is for people to walk away from purses, wallets and
even stacks of money. Used to happen all the time when I worked at K Mart.
Often when checking out, the person would remember something they had
forgotten to pick up and would dash off, sometimes leaving their purse in
the cart, wallet or even a stack of money on the counter.

Thankfully in the 17 years that I worked there, these things were only
stolen (that I know of) a very few times.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women who
>had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One woman
>parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk case!
>
> I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
> much less turn my back on it. What say you?
>
> Jill

maybe it was full of those snakes in a can things.

but yes, pretty dumb. I assume you must be in a decent neighborhood, but
still . . .

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My car keys are on a large carabiner attached to a ring on my purse. When shopping, I attach the carabiner to the baby seat of my shopping cart and also slip the baby strap through my purse handle. I also never leave my cart unattended.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2014 9:24 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women who
>> had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One woman
>> parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk case!
>>
>> I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
>> much less turn my back on it. What say you?
>>
>> Jill

> maybe it was full of those snakes in a can things.

LOL

> but yes, pretty dumb. I assume you must be in a decent neighborhood, but
> still . . .

Yes, the store is in a decent neighborhood. But thieves are not
restricted to certain areas.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jmcquown > wrote:
>I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women
>who had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One
>woman parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk case!
>
>I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
>much less turn my back on it. What say you?

I don't carry a purse. Keys, wallet, cellphone, shopping list,
and pencil in pockets. I usually shop right after work, so I've
got pants pockets, blazer pockets and--for about half the year--coat
pockets.

I suppose if I carried one, I would put it in the cart, but remove
it if I were going to leave the cart alone for any amount of time.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 08:58:44 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
> much less turn my back on it. What say you?

Not paranoid at all, IMHO. I never do that either; why put temptation in
the way of certain people who might think it was there for the taking?
Besides, it's not any cash that might be in there; it's things like your
driver's license, bank/credit cards etc. that are a PITA to replace.

In fact you're probably saving some person from doing jail time...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >,
> jmcquown > wrote:
>>I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women
>>who had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One
>>woman parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk
>>case!
>>
>>I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
>>much less turn my back on it. What say you?

> I don't carry a purse. Keys, wallet, cellphone, shopping list,
> and pencil in pockets. I usually shop right after work, so I've
> got pants pockets, blazer pockets and--for about half the year--coat
> pockets.
>
> I suppose if I carried one, I would put it in the cart, but remove
> it if I were going to leave the cart alone for any amount of time.

A woman who wears clothes with pockets! You are a dream come true!
Seriously.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women
> who had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One
> woman parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk case!
>
> I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
> much less turn my back on it. What say you?
>
> Jill

I say you are the smart shopper who won't get her purse snatched so
easily. I would never set my wallet in a grocery cart. Both are just
asking for trouble.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-14 8:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women
> who had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One
> woman parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk case!
>
> I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
> much less turn my back on it. What say you?

I see it all the time. I am an honest person and it would never occur to
me to take someone's purse. It is not a matter or resisting the
temptation for me. I just wouldn't do it. There are people who would be
tempted. Unfortunately, we have to accept the fact that they are people
who do it for a living. They actually go to specific locations that
offer the best opportunities.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-14 9:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Yes, the store is in a decent neighborhood. But thieves are not
> restricted to certain areas.

Some people are more trusting. My wife is very naive. She has been known
to take more than one purse with her so that she can switch purses and
be colour coordinated. She will then leave her empty purse in the car.
I objected but was faced with blond logic.... no one is going to steal
an empty purse. Silly me.... they are nice purses and they might just
want the purse for themselves. I don't want them smashing the window of
my car only to discover the purse is empty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2014 9:38 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 08:58:44 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
>> much less turn my back on it. What say you?

> Not paranoid at all, IMHO. I never do that either; why put temptation in
> the way of certain people who might think it was there for the taking?
> Besides, it's not any cash that might be in there; it's things like your
> driver's license, bank/credit cards etc. that are a PITA to replace.

Yeah, I rarely ever have more than $20 cash in my wallet. But you're
right, cancelling and replacing the driver's license, bank card, etc.
would be a PITA.

> In fact you're probably saving some person from doing jail time...

That's an interesting way to look at it. They could save themselves
that trouble by not lifting someone's purse in the first place.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 1/14/2014 9:24 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
> > but yes, pretty dumb. I assume you must be in a decent neighborhood, but
> > still . . .
> >

> Yes, the store is in a decent neighborhood. But thieves are not
> restricted to certain areas.

The "smarter" thieves travel to the decent areas to rob ppl. More
money there.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2014 9:59 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-01-14 8:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women
>> who had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One
>> woman parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk
>> case!
>>
>> I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
>> much less turn my back on it. What say you?
>>

> I see it all the time. I am an honest person and it would never occur to
> me to take someone's purse. It is not a matter or resisting the
> temptation for me. I just wouldn't do it. There are people who would be
> tempted. Unfortunately, we have to accept the fact that they are people
> who do it for a living. They actually go to specific locations that
> offer the best opportunities.

It wouldn't occur to me, either, Dave. But thieves have cars and they
*will* travel to what they consider more affluent areas to do their
dirty work. It just makes sense not to set your purse in the cart and
walk off, even if only a few feet. I was surprised at the number of
women I saw doing this.

One of them was busy trying to wrangle two young children. She was so
distracted anyone could have walked off with her purse and been gone
before she ever noticed.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Besides, it's not any cash that might be in there; it's things like your
> driver's license, bank/credit cards etc. that are a PITA to replace.

Good point, ChattyCathy. I rarely carry much cash in my wallet these
days. I use debit card most times. If someone swiped my wallet, the
cash I lost wouldn't bother me and the cards are safe enough from
abuse. Replacing all would be the worst part. Especially the drivers
license.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/14/2014 9:24 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women
>>> who
>>> had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One woman
>>> parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk case!
>>>
>>> I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
>>> much less turn my back on it. What say you?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> maybe it was full of those snakes in a can things.
>>

> LOL
>
>> but yes, pretty dumb. I assume you must be in a decent neighborhood, but
>> still . . .
>>

> Yes, the store is in a decent neighborhood. But thieves are not
> restricted to certain areas.

They probably get better pickings in good areas.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >,
> jmcquown > wrote:
>>I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women
>>who had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One
>>woman parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk
>>case!
>>
>>I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
>>much less turn my back on it. What say you?

> I don't carry a purse. Keys, wallet, cellphone, shopping list,
> and pencil in pockets. I usually shop right after work, so I've
> got pants pockets, blazer pockets and--for about half the year--coat
> pockets.
>
> I suppose if I carried one, I would put it in the cart, but remove
> it if I were going to leave the cart alone for any amount of time.

I never carry a purse/handbag either. They annoy me. I carry my keys and
phone! I have my phone in a case which has wee pockets that takes my cards
too and my shopping lists are on my phone.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2014 10:34 AM, Gary wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>> Besides, it's not any cash that might be in there; it's things like your
>> driver's license, bank/credit cards etc. that are a PITA to replace.

> Good point, ChattyCathy. I rarely carry much cash in my wallet these
> days. I use debit card most times. If someone swiped my wallet, the
> cash I lost wouldn't bother me and the cards are safe enough from
> abuse. Replacing all would be the worst part. Especially the drivers
> license.
>
> G.

How are you supposed to get to the DMV to replace your driver's license
if you don't have a license to drive?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 8:24:09 AM UTC-6, Pico Rico wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> >I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women who

> >had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One woman

> >parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk case!

> > I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,

> > much less turn my back on it. What say you?

> > Jill

> maybe it was full of those snakes in a can things.

That would be funny as shit. What would be even better would be a real snake,
like a boa or a python, or better even, a venomoid rattler.

If I were to win the lottery, I'd know how to have fun.
Buy snake.
Put snake in purse.
Have hired confederate take purse into store.
Have her leave her purse unattended in the cart on multiple occasions.

Can you imagine how funny it'd be if some dude stole it, then took it out of
the store, got into his car, then opened it in the car?
The snake bites, and the guy goes screaming out of his car, not knowing that
the snake had been de-venomed, and he can't get back in his car because it's
got a snake in it.

Do this in cool, but not cold weather, and the guy would have a heck of a
time getting the snake to leave the relative warmth of the car. Imagine him
with no car, thinking he has to get to the emergency room, and when he gets there, having to come up with a story about how he got bitten by a rattlesnake.
Thinking about this, I laughed harder than I have for weeks.

--B

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2014 10:01 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I objected but was faced with blond logic.... no one is going to steal
> an empty purse. Silly me.... they are nice purses and they might just
> want the purse for themselves. I don't want them smashing the window of
> my car only to discover the purse is empty.

That is why I never lock my car. Nothing in there to seal so take a
peek if you want to. A pro will take the car even if locked and alarmed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2014 8:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women
> who had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One
> woman parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk case!
>
> I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
> much less turn my back on it. What say you?
>
> Jill

I see it frequently. I've even had to remind my wife a time or two. I
can see how easily you can do it though. You put the pocketbook there
for convenience and forget about it as you browse the foods.

Lately though, it has gotten better. If we are going out together, she
hardly ever takes anything with her now. She is not driving so no
license is needed and no money needed, no pone needed. Why lug around 35
pounds of "stuff"?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> How are you supposed to get to the DMV to replace your driver's license
> if you don't have a license to drive?

LOL!

I accidently threw out my driver's license along with some other
things once. What a PITA it was to get replaced. And this was before
911. It's probably even worse now.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2014 11:28 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/14/2014 8:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women
>> who had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One
>> woman parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk
>> case!
>>
>> I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
>> much less turn my back on it. What say you?
>>
>> Jill

> I see it frequently. I've even had to remind my wife a time or two. I
> can see how easily you can do it though. You put the pocketbook there
> for convenience and forget about it as you browse the foods.

I keep mine on my shoulder. It's not overloaded, it's not heavy.

> Lately though, it has gotten better. If we are going out together, she
> hardly ever takes anything with her now. She is not driving so no
> license is needed and no money needed, no pone needed. Why lug around 35
> pounds of "stuff"?

LOL I don't lug around 35 lbs. of "stuff". I have my wallet which
contains slots for my driver's license, cards. A place for dolllars and
a snap purse for change. Also in the purse, lip balm and a hair brush.
And my car keys. That's about it. I don't take my house with me when
I'm going shoppping.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 5:58:44 AM UTC-8, jmcquown wrote:

> I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women
> who had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One
> woman parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk case!
>

> I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
> much less turn my back on it. What say you?

While shopping, my wife's purse is always on her shoulder. But she favors
smallish purses, not the gussied-up tote bags that so many young women carry
around with them.

Years ago, we ate at a restaurant in Chicago named "Butter," which lent ladies
little hooks, that allowed their purses to dangle from the table. A good
solution to the question of where to put your purse at dinner, I thought.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-14 10:31 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>> I see it all the time. I am an honest person and it would never occur to
>> me to take someone's purse. It is not a matter or resisting the
>> temptation for me. I just wouldn't do it. There are people who would be
>> tempted. Unfortunately, we have to accept the fact that they are people
>> who do it for a living. They actually go to specific locations that
>> offer the best opportunities.
>>

> It wouldn't occur to me, either, Dave. But thieves have cars and they
> *will* travel to what they consider more affluent areas to do their
> dirty work. It just makes sense not to set your purse in the cart and
> walk off, even if only a few feet. I was surprised at the number of
> women I saw doing this.
>
> One of them was busy trying to wrangle two young children. She was so
> distracted anyone could have walked off with her purse and been gone
> before she ever noticed.

That's just the sort of distraction they need to get the deed done. They
like to go to high tourist areas because people are usually already a
little distracted by the sites, tend to carry lots of cash and, if the
pickpockets are caught the victims aren't likely to come back for court.

My son went on one of those school trips to Europe when we was about 17.
Unlike the rest of the kids in his country school, he had spent time
in cities and had been to Europe. He had seen Gypsies and knew what to
expect. They were on a bus and a elderly Gypsy woman bumped into him. He
pushed her off and yelled at her. The chaperone scolded him for his
unacceptable behaviour. While she was blasting him the old gyspy stole
the wallet out of her purse.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2014 8:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women
> who had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One
> woman parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk case!
>
> I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
> much less turn my back on it. What say you?

I always put my bag in the cart. I don't stray from it, but
I have on occasion when there's no one around.

Not that it would be a delightful experience to notify all my
credit card companies, or replace my driver's license, but I
am not freaked out at the idea someone would swipe it and head
for the exit. I hardly carry any cash.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-14 11:21 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/14/2014 10:01 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I objected but was faced with blond logic.... no one is going to steal
>> an empty purse. Silly me.... they are nice purses and they might just
>> want the purse for themselves. I don't want them smashing the window of
>> my car only to discover the purse is empty.
>>

> That is why I never lock my car. Nothing in there to seal so take a
> peek if you want to. A pro will take the car even if locked and alarmed.

A real professional will get in. There are dedicated criminals and there
are criminals of opportunity. There are lowlife types out there who
figure that if you leave something unattended and/o unlocked you deserve
to have it stolen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2014 10:01 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-01-14 9:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Yes, the store is in a decent neighborhood. But thieves are not
>> restricted to certain areas.
>>

> Some people are more trusting. My wife is very naive. She has been known
> to take more than one purse with her so that she can switch purses and
> be colour coordinated. She will then leave her empty purse in the car.
> I objected but was faced with blond logic.... no one is going to steal
> an empty purse. Silly me.... they are nice purses and they might just
> want the purse for themselves. I don't want them smashing the window of
> my car only to discover the purse is empty.

It's for that reason that I will stash my bag in the trunk if I'm
not taking it with me for whatever reason. Or shove it out of
sight as much as possible. I don't want someone breaking the window.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 06:42:00 -0800, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> A woman who wears clothes with pockets! You are a dream come true!
> Seriously.

I'm always surprised that she can find
1. Women's clothing with pockets
2. Women's clothing with deep enough pockets that she can keep
anything in there.

I absolutely HATE purses, but I'm stuck carrying one. I can get my
phone into a pocket, but I wouldn't be able to fit anything else in
unless I wanted an ugly bulge and I certainly wouldn't trust it to
stay put in my pocket. Pockets in women's clothing are simply not
deep enough to merit that kind of confidence.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
news
> On 2014-01-14 10:31 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I see it all the time. I am an honest person and it would never occur to
>>> me to take someone's purse. It is not a matter or resisting the
>>> temptation for me. I just wouldn't do it. There are people who would be
>>> tempted. Unfortunately, we have to accept the fact that they are people
>>> who do it for a living. They actually go to specific locations that
>>> offer the best opportunities.
>>>

>> It wouldn't occur to me, either, Dave. But thieves have cars and they
>> *will* travel to what they consider more affluent areas to do their
>> dirty work. It just makes sense not to set your purse in the cart and
>> walk off, even if only a few feet. I was surprised at the number of
>> women I saw doing this.
>>
>> One of them was busy trying to wrangle two young children. She was so
>> distracted anyone could have walked off with her purse and been gone
>> before she ever noticed.
>>

> That's just the sort of distraction they need to get the deed done. They
> like to go to high tourist areas because people are usually already a
> little distracted by the sites, tend to carry lots of cash and, if the
> pickpockets are caught the victims aren't likely to come back for court.
>

> My son went on one of those school trips to Europe when we was about 17.
> Unlike the rest of the kids in his country school, he had spent time in
> cities and had been to Europe. He had seen Gypsies and knew what to
> expect. They were on a bus and a elderly Gypsy woman bumped into him. He
> pushed her off and yelled at her. The chaperone scolded him for his
> unacceptable behaviour. While she was blasting him the old gyspy stole the
> wallet out of her purse.

Huh I bet she wasn't yelling at him then!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2014 12:07 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 1/14/2014 8:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women
>> who had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One
>> woman parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk
>> case!
>>
>> I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
>> much less turn my back on it. What say you?
>>

> I always put my bag in the cart. I don't stray from it, but
> I have on occasion when there's no one around.
>
> Not that it would be a delightful experience to notify all my
> credit card companies, or replace my driver's license, but I
> am not freaked out at the idea someone would swipe it and head
> for the exit. I hardly carry any cash.
>
> nancy

Yeah, but the people likely to grab your purse don't know you don't have
any cash. They worry about that later.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I can't tell you how many times I have said to these women
" Hey - I could have grabbed that purse and been off like a rabbit" and then get a wondering look. Heck, this has been going on for 30 years - I knew of one mkt where kids wud cruise the aisles in midafternoon as an afterschool pasttime and grab wallets or entire purses. Just like leaving it on the seat when you pump gas - sheesh.

One old goat ( the husband, I guess ) said " Oh, I'll chase right after him." Sure, Pops.( to myself at this point).

Fanny packs, ladies!! Or crossbody stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 12:10:31 PM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 1/14/2014 10:01 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > On 2014-01-14 9:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> >> Yes, the store is in a decent neighborhood. But thieves are not

> >> restricted to certain areas.

> > Some people are more trusting. My wife is very naive. She has been known

> > to take more than one purse with her so that she can switch purses and

> > be colour coordinated. She will then leave her empty purse in the car.

> > I objected but was faced with blond logic.... no one is going to steal

> > an empty purse. Silly me.... they are nice purses and they might just

> > want the purse for themselves. I don't want them smashing the window of

> > my car only to discover the purse is empty.

> It's for that reason that I will stash my bag in the trunk if I'm
>
> not taking it with me for whatever reason. Or shove it out of
>
> sight as much as possible. I don't want someone breaking the window.
>

> nancy

I had my trunk almost jimmied open once - just opportunists wanting to break in to see.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2014 12:18 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/14/2014 12:07 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Not that it would be a delightful experience to notify all my
>> credit card companies, or replace my driver's license, but I
>> am not freaked out at the idea someone would swipe it and head
>> for the exit. I hardly carry any cash.

> Yeah, but the people likely to grab your purse don't know you don't have
> any cash. They worry about that later.

Of course, I'm saying I wouldn't lose a lot of cash money.

I have a silver(ish) dollar I've carried around for many, many
years. Now, that is something that would upset me to lose.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:28:35 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/14/2014 8:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women

> > who had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One

> > woman parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk case!

> > I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,

> > much less turn my back on it. What say you?

> > Jill

> I see it frequently. I've even had to remind my wife a time or two. I
>
> can see how easily you can do it though. You put the pocketbook there
>
> for convenience and forget about it as you browse the foods.
>

> Lately though, it has gotten better. If we are going out together, she
>
> hardly ever takes anything with her now. She is not driving so no
>
> license is needed and no money needed, no pone needed. Why lug around 35
>
> pounds of "stuff"?

right. But she shud have id and medical info on her at all times when oot and aboot. I keep a small kit of junk in the cars which double for the kit I would carry in a big purse. Ladies' stuff, and you don't need it with you every second, gals.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/14/2014 12:22 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 12:10:31 PM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:

>> It's for that reason that I will stash my bag in the trunk if I'm
>>
>> not taking it with me for whatever reason. Or shove it out of
>>
>> sight as much as possible. I don't want someone breaking the window.

> I had my trunk almost jimmied open once - just opportunists wanting to break in to see.

Bummer. There's nothing you can do about that. Still best to
stash valuables out of sight. Having said that, it would cost
to replace my fuzz buster and that just sits there on the dash.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>I was surprised when I was at Publix on Sunday at the number of women who
>had their purses sitting on the seat in their shopping carts. One woman
>parked her cart at an end-cap and walked off to peruse the milk case!
>
> I'm sufficiently paranoid that I would *never* set my purse in my cart,
> much less turn my back on it. What say you?
>
> Jill

One of the best hints I ever got was from a woman shopper who told me to
always use the seat belt in the cart and thread through the handles of the
purse and click it closed so thieves can't make off with it easily. I always
do that now, and make sure the purse is zipped up as well, but I don't
really walk away from my purse.

Cheri