Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grocery Shopping - Oxtails

Just musing... the Publix weekly sales flyer came out yesterday. I've
spent a bit of time today taking inventory and making out a shopping
list. I definitely need the basics - milk, eggs, a couple of loaves of
whole wheat bread (yeah, I freeze it).

For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails. It's
been far too many years since I made oxtail soup. I called the meat
department and asked if they have oxtails. (Didn't want to get my
tastebuds geared up for something only to find my hopes dashed.) Yes,
they have some. That will be my "splurge" item at $5.79/lb.

I'm thinking I can easily adapt my recipe to be done in the crockpot.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2014 10:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails. It's
> been far too many years since I made oxtail soup. I called the meat
> department and asked if they have oxtails. (Didn't want to get my
> tastebuds geared up for something only to find my hopes dashed.) Yes,
> they have some. That will be my "splurge" item at $5.79/lb.
>
> I'm thinking I can easily adapt my recipe to be done in the crockpot.
>
> Jill

I like ox tails. Next time I'm going to make them in a pewter crockpot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2014 10:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/10/2014 10:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails. It's
>> been far too many years since I made oxtail soup. I called the meat
>> department and asked if they have oxtails. (Didn't want to get my
>> tastebuds geared up for something only to find my hopes dashed.) Yes,
>> they have some. That will be my "splurge" item at $5.79/lb.
>>
>> I'm thinking I can easily adapt my recipe to be done in the crockpot.
>>
>> Jill

> I like ox tails. Next time I'm going to make them in a pewter crockpot.

OMG! You owe me a keyboard.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:00:44 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Just musing... the Publix weekly sales flyer came out yesterday. I've
> spent a bit of time today taking inventory and making out a shopping
> list. I definitely need the basics - milk, eggs, a couple of loaves of
> whole wheat bread (yeah, I freeze it).
>
> For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails. It's
> been far too many years since I made oxtail soup. I called the meat
> department and asked if they have oxtails. (Didn't want to get my
> tastebuds geared up for something only to find my hopes dashed.) Yes,
> they have some. That will be my "splurge" item at $5.79/lb.
>
> I'm thinking I can easily adapt my recipe to be done in the crockpot.

I have ox tails on the brain too! I was in a carniceria the other day
and bought a few other things that I went in for, but they had the
meatiest oxtails I've ever seen in my life.... at least 5 inches
across. Thinking I'll go back in a few days and get some.

--
"Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
(Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2014 12:06 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:00:44 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>

>> For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails. It's
>> been far too many years since I made oxtail soup. I called the meat
>> department and asked if they have oxtails. (Didn't want to get my
>> tastebuds geared up for something only to find my hopes dashed.) Yes,
>> they have some. That will be my "splurge" item at $5.79/lb.
>>
>> I'm thinking I can easily adapt my recipe to be done in the crockpot.
>>

> I have ox tails on the brain too! I was in a carniceria the other day
> and bought a few other things that I went in for, but they had the
> meatiest oxtails I've ever seen in my life.... at least 5 inches
> across. Thinking I'll go back in a few days and get some.

You're lucky to have that sort of market nearby. Hopefully I'll be
pleasantly surprised by the oxtails at Publix. I'm sure I must have
glanced at them in the last few years. If so, it was a casual "oh they
have oxtails" sort of thing. I didn't pay much attention.

I have know what made me think about oxtails. It got cold for a few
days. I made lentil soup. It's supposed to be 72°F by Sunday and I'm
thinking about oxtail soup. Oh well, I love soup any time of the year.
Besides, technically it is winter.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2014 12:21 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/11/2014 12:06 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:00:44 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails. It's
>>> been far too many years since I made oxtail soup. I called the meat
>>> department and asked if they have oxtails. (Didn't want to get my
>>> tastebuds geared up for something only to find my hopes dashed.) Yes,
>>> they have some. That will be my "splurge" item at $5.79/lb.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking I can easily adapt my recipe to be done in the crockpot.
>>>

>> I have ox tails on the brain too! I was in a carniceria the other day
>> and bought a few other things that I went in for, but they had the
>> meatiest oxtails I've ever seen in my life.... at least 5 inches
>> across. Thinking I'll go back in a few days and get some.
>>

> You're lucky to have that sort of market nearby. Hopefully I'll be
> pleasantly surprised by the oxtails at Publix. I'm sure I must have
> glanced at them in the last few years. If so, it was a casual "oh they
> have oxtails" sort of thing. I didn't pay much attention.

[correction]
> I have NO idea what made me think about oxtails. It got cold for a few
> days. I made lentil soup. It's supposed to be 72°F by Sunday and I'm
> thinking about oxtail soup. Oh well, I love soup any time of the year.
> Besides, technically it is winter.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2014 1:02 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:00:44 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Just musing... the Publix weekly sales flyer came out yesterday. I've
>> spent a bit of time today taking inventory and making out a shopping
>> list. I definitely need the basics - milk, eggs, a couple of loaves of
>> whole wheat bread (yeah, I freeze it).
>>
>> For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails. It's
>> been far too many years since I made oxtail soup. I called the meat
>> department and asked if they have oxtails. (Didn't want to get my
>> tastebuds geared up for something only to find my hopes dashed.) Yes,
>> they have some. That will be my "splurge" item at $5.79/lb.
>>
>> I'm thinking I can easily adapt my recipe to be done in the crockpot.

> Oxtails are overrated. I've cooked about 12 pounds of them in the
> last 4 months. I would have rather used the other ingredients for a
> nice chunky chuck roast and ditch the prion-laden tails.
>
> -sw

To each his own. I like the gelatinous quality of the stock from oxtails.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in news:bjbqevFn50tU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Just musing... the Publix weekly sales flyer came out yesterday. I've
> spent a bit of time today taking inventory and making out a shopping
> list. I definitely need the basics - milk, eggs, a couple of loaves of
> whole wheat bread (yeah, I freeze it).
>
> For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails. It's
> been far too many years since I made oxtail soup. I called the meat
> department and asked if they have oxtails. (Didn't want to get my
> tastebuds geared up for something only to find my hopes dashed.) Yes,
> they have some. That will be my "splurge" item at $5.79/lb.
>
> I'm thinking I can easily adapt my recipe to be done in the crockpot.

> Jill

I do mine in the pressure cooker. Brown them in olive oil first, then
add a can of diced tomatoes and their juices and enough beef broth to
almost cover, bring the pot to pressure and cook for 40 minutes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Just musing... the Publix weekly sales flyer came out yesterday. I've
>spent a bit of time today taking inventory and making out a shopping
>list. I definitely need the basics - milk, eggs, a couple of loaves of
>whole wheat bread (yeah, I freeze it).
>
>For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails. It's
>been far too many years since I made oxtail soup. I called the meat
>department and asked if they have oxtails. (Didn't want to get my
>tastebuds geared up for something only to find my hopes dashed.) Yes,
>they have some. That will be my "splurge" item at $5.79/lb.
>
>I'm thinking I can easily adapt my recipe to be done in the crockpot.
>
>Jill

Could you please repost your recipe. Thought I saved it, but can't
find it now.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2014 3:58 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote in news:bjbqevFn50tU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> Just musing... the Publix weekly sales flyer came out yesterday. I've
>> spent a bit of time today taking inventory and making out a shopping
>> list. I definitely need the basics - milk, eggs, a couple of loaves of
>> whole wheat bread (yeah, I freeze it).
>>
>> For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails. It's
>> been far too many years since I made oxtail soup. I called the meat
>> department and asked if they have oxtails. (Didn't want to get my
>> tastebuds geared up for something only to find my hopes dashed.) Yes,
>> they have some. That will be my "splurge" item at $5.79/lb.
>>
>> I'm thinking I can easily adapt my recipe to be done in the crockpot.

>> Jill

> I do mine in the pressure cooker. Brown them in olive oil first, then
> add a can of diced tomatoes and their juices and enough beef broth to
> almost cover, bring the pot to pressure and cook for 40 minutes.

Sounds like a plan. I don't own a pressure cooker.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2014 11:02 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Oxtails are overrated.

Compared to your mayo fetish?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 00:02:17 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> Oxtails are overrated. I've cooked about 12 pounds of them in the
> last 4 months. I would have rather used the other ingredients for a
> nice chunky chuck roast and ditch the prion-laden tails.
>
> -sw

>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...
>>
>> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
>> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
>> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
>> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
>> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 21:06:19 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:00:44 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>> Just musing... the Publix weekly sales flyer came out yesterday. I've
>> spent a bit of time today taking inventory and making out a shopping
>> list. I definitely need the basics - milk, eggs, a couple of loaves of
>> whole wheat bread (yeah, I freeze it).
>>
>> For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails. It's
>> been far too many years since I made oxtail soup. I called the meat
>> department and asked if they have oxtails. (Didn't want to get my
>> tastebuds geared up for something only to find my hopes dashed.) Yes,
>> they have some. That will be my "splurge" item at $5.79/lb.
>>
>> I'm thinking I can easily adapt my recipe to be done in the crockpot.
>>

>I have ox tails on the brain too! I was in a carniceria the other day
>and bought a few other things that I went in for, but they had the
>meatiest oxtails I've ever seen in my life.... at least 5 inches
>across. Thinking I'll go back in a few days and get some.

I got some at Cash and Carry several years ago . I had to buy a
restaurant sized box. I paid $45. I had the luxury of several huge
pots of wonderful oxtail soup. They were really meaty. The oxtails
in the supermarket are itty bitty bones and a bit of fat for $5/pound.
I won't buy those. I have asked at Cash and Carry again and again and
they have told me they7 don't carry them any more.
There is nothing like the aroma of a pot of oxtail soup cooking on the
stove. Nothing so unctuous.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 01:04:44 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 1/11/2014 1:02 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:00:44 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
> >

> >> I'm thinking I can easily adapt my recipe to be done in the crockpot.

> > Oxtails are overrated. I've cooked about 12 pounds of them in the
> > last 4 months. I would have rather used the other ingredients for a
> > nice chunky chuck roast and ditch the prion-laden tails.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> To each his own. I like the gelatinous quality of the stock from oxtails.

The question arises about *why* he cooked TWELVE pounds of them if
they are so overrated.

--
"Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
(Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 12:27:59 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 21:06:19 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 22:00:44 -0500, jmcquown >
>>wrote:
>>
>>> Just musing... the Publix weekly sales flyer came out yesterday. I've
>>> spent a bit of time today taking inventory and making out a shopping
>>> list. I definitely need the basics - milk, eggs, a couple of loaves of
>>> whole wheat bread (yeah, I freeze it).
>>>
>>> For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails. It's
>>> been far too many years since I made oxtail soup. I called the meat
>>> department and asked if they have oxtails. (Didn't want to get my
>>> tastebuds geared up for something only to find my hopes dashed.) Yes,
>>> they have some. That will be my "splurge" item at $5.79/lb.
>>>
>>> I'm thinking I can easily adapt my recipe to be done in the crockpot.
>>>

>>I have ox tails on the brain too! I was in a carniceria the other day
>>and bought a few other things that I went in for, but they had the
>>meatiest oxtails I've ever seen in my life.... at least 5 inches
>>across. Thinking I'll go back in a few days and get some.

>I got some at Cash and Carry several years ago . I had to buy a
>restaurant sized box. I paid $45. I had the luxury of several huge
>pots of wonderful oxtail soup. They were really meaty. The oxtails
>in the supermarket are itty bitty bones and a bit of fat for $5/pound.
>I won't buy those. I have asked at Cash and Carry again and again and
>they have told me they7 don't carry them any more.
>There is nothing like the aroma of a pot of oxtail soup cooking on the
>stove. Nothing so unctuous.
>Janet US

Love the word unctuous, so descriptive.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote in news:bjd1cuF9qnU1
@mid.individual.net:

>> I do mine in the pressure cooker. Brown them in olive oil first, then
>> add a can of diced tomatoes and their juices and enough beef broth to
>> almost cover, bring the pot to pressure and cook for 40 minutes.
>>

> Sounds like a plan. I don't own a pressure cooker.
>
> Jill

You ought to look into it. I like mine, and I use it fairly often. To me,
it's not only a time saver, it produces quality results.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2014 3:45 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote in news:bjd1cuF9qnU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>

>>> I do mine in the pressure cooker. Brown them in olive oil first, then
>>> add a can of diced tomatoes and their juices and enough beef broth to
>>> almost cover, bring the pot to pressure and cook for 40 minutes.
>>>

>> Sounds like a plan. I don't own a pressure cooker.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> You ought to look into it. I like mine, and I use it fairly often. To me,
> it's not only a time saver, it produces quality results.

I've thought about it, Alan, but I fear it wouldn't get much use. Just
another thing to find room to store. Same thing with my food processor.
In the mandoline thread several people said they couldn't live without
their food processor. I forget I even own one.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> In the mandoline thread several people said they couldn't live without
> their food processor. I forget I even own one.

I bought a mini FP (Ninja) this time last year. Except for the initial
test drive to make sure it worked, I forget about it and haven't used
it since. I normally just use my chef's knife.

I do plan someday to try the Ninja for mincing a good ribeye steak
into hamburger material.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 10:45:53 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/12/2014 3:45 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>> jmcquown > wrote in news:bjd1cuF9qnU1
>> @mid.individual.net:

>>> Sounds like a plan. I don't own a pressure cooker.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>>

>> You ought to look into it. I like mine, and I use it fairly often. To me,
>> it's not only a time saver, it produces quality results.
>>

>I've thought about it, Alan, but I fear it wouldn't get much use. Just
>another thing to find room to store. Same thing with my food processor.
> In the mandoline thread several people said they couldn't live without
>their food processor. I forget I even own one.
>
>Jill

I think it has to do with your personal style of cooking, what you
grew up with, what is common in your community, the kinds of food you
cook. I know I could never make use of a slow cooker and probably not
a bread machine. I had a slow cooker around for a while and tried
beans in it once. And then went back to using the pressure cooker. I
don't think a cook scores higher by using one method or another.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2014 11:56 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 10:45:53 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/12/2014 3:45 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>>> jmcquown > wrote in news:bjd1cuF9qnU1
>>> @mid.individual.net:

>>> You ought to look into it. I like mine, and I use it fairly often. To me,
>>> it's not only a time saver, it produces quality results.
>>>

>> I've thought about it, Alan, but I fear it wouldn't get much use. Just
>> another thing to find room to store. Same thing with my food processor.
>> In the mandoline thread several people said they couldn't live without
>> their food processor. I forget I even own one.
>>
>> Jill

> I think it has to do with your personal style of cooking, what you
> grew up with, what is common in your community, the kinds of food you
> cook. I know I could never make use of a slow cooker and probably not
> a bread machine. I had a slow cooker around for a while and tried
> beans in it once. And then went back to using the pressure cooker. I
> don't think a cook scores higher by using one method or another.
> Janet US

I agree with that assessment. I wouldn't use a mandoline; just another
thing stuck in a drawer. I wouldn't buy a breadmaker; I don't eat much
bread. I rarely use the food processor. The most used blade was for
thinly slicing potatoes for gratin or yellow squash for squash
casserole. But I'm not in any rush or cooking in great quantities. I
can do the same thing with a knife with much less cleanup. I have a
stick blender if something needs to be pureed. It even has a small
'chopping blade' attachment. Again, less cleanup.

Obviously there is no one size fits all when it comes to how people cook.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I've thought about it, Alan, but I fear it wouldn't get much use. Just
> another thing to find room to store. Same thing with my food processor.
> In the mandoline thread several people said they couldn't live without
> their food processor. I forget I even own one.
>
> Jill

I got a pressure cooker a few months ago, my rationale being that they
are employed a lot in Indian cookery. Have I gotten it out of its box? No.

I will say that I have worked up a very slight desire to get a food
processor again. I gave mine away to someone who was on rfc back in the
'90s.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-12 12:32 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I agree with that assessment. I wouldn't use a mandoline; just another
> thing stuck in a drawer.

I have two. One is just a simple Japanese deal. I rarely use it. For
some reason,my wife bought a much better one for me. That was more than
5 years ago. I have used it twice. It is more work to clean up than it
is worth.

> I wouldn't buy a breadmaker; I don't eat much bread.

Nor would I. I only use about a loaf of bread per week, and I have never
been impressed with bread maker food that others have made.

> I rarely use the food processor. The most used blade was for
> thinly slicing potatoes for gratin or yellow squash for squash
> casserole.

I use my FP about once a month, and it sure is handy. That reminds me.
It is almost time for Seville Oranges. There is no substitute for a FP
with a slicing blade when cutting up all those rinds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 20:18:22 -0800, wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 12:27:59 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 21:06:19 -0800, sf > wrote:

>>>I have ox tails on the brain too! I was in a carniceria the other day
>>>and bought a few other things that I went in for, but they had the
>>>meatiest oxtails I've ever seen in my life.... at least 5 inches
>>>across. Thinking I'll go back in a few days and get some.

>>I got some at Cash and Carry several years ago . I had to buy a
>>restaurant sized box. I paid $45. I had the luxury of several huge
>>pots of wonderful oxtail soup. They were really meaty. The oxtails
>>in the supermarket are itty bitty bones and a bit of fat for $5/pound.
>>I won't buy those. I have asked at Cash and Carry again and again and
>>they have told me they7 don't carry them any more.
>>There is nothing like the aroma of a pot of oxtail soup cooking on the
>>stove. Nothing so unctuous.
>>Janet US

>Love the word unctuous, so descriptive.

Odds are what one buys in the US are not really oxtails, they are
ordinary cattle tails.. changing your butcher from unctious to smarmy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ox
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-12 1:06 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 20:18:22 -0800, wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 12:27:59 -0700, Janet Bostwick
>> > wrote:

>>> I got some at Cash and Carry several years ago . I had to buy a
>>> restaurant sized box. I paid $45. I had the luxury of several huge
>>> pots of wonderful oxtail soup. They were really meaty. The oxtails
>>> in the supermarket are itty bitty bones and a bit of fat for $5/pound.
>>> I won't buy those. I have asked at Cash and Carry again and again and
>>> they have told me they7 don't carry them any more.
>>> There is nothing like the aroma of a pot of oxtail soup cooking on the
>>> stove. Nothing so unctuous.
>>> Janet US

>> Love the word unctuous, so descriptive.

> Odds are what one buys in the US are not really oxtails, they are
> ordinary cattle tails.. changing your butcher from unctious to smarmy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ox

Ox-tail is cattle tails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 12:32:57 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 1/12/2014 11:56 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 10:45:53 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> I've thought about it, Alan, but I fear it wouldn't get much use. Just
>>> another thing to find room to store. Same thing with my food processor.
>>> In the mandoline thread several people said they couldn't live without
>>> their food processor. I forget I even own one.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I think it has to do with your personal style of cooking, what you
>> grew up with, what is common in your community, the kinds of food you
>> cook. I know I could never make use of a slow cooker and probably not
>> a bread machine. I had a slow cooker around for a while and tried
>> beans in it once. And then went back to using the pressure cooker. I
>> don't think a cook scores higher by using one method or another.
>> Janet US
>>

>I agree with that assessment. I wouldn't use a mandoline; just another
>thing stuck in a drawer. I wouldn't buy a breadmaker; I don't eat much
>bread. I rarely use the food processor. The most used blade was for
>thinly slicing potatoes for gratin or yellow squash for squash
>casserole. But I'm not in any rush or cooking in great quantities. I
>can do the same thing with a knife with much less cleanup. I have a
>stick blender if something needs to be pureed. It even has a small
>'chopping blade' attachment. Again, less cleanup.
>
>Obviously there is no one size fits all when it comes to how people cook.
>
>Jill

I've had a V-Slicer for 20 years or more and use it all the time. It's
the easiest thing to clean. For me, it is well worth it.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:05:25 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> That reminds me.
> It is almost time for Seville Oranges. There is no substitute for a FP
> with a slicing blade when cutting up all those rinds.

Please give a holler when you find them. I have to go to the Farmer's
Market if I want to buy any - the FM is not my favorite place to shop,
so I only go when I have to.

--
"Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
(Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-12 1:26 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:05:25 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> That reminds me.
>> It is almost time for Seville Oranges. There is no substitute for a FP
>> with a slicing blade when cutting up all those rinds.
>>

> Please give a holler when you find them. I have to go to the Farmer's
> Market if I want to buy any - the FM is not my favorite place to shop,
> so I only go when I have to.

They are usually only around for about a week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:32:12 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-01-12 1:26 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 13:05:25 -0500, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> That reminds me.
> >> It is almost time for Seville Oranges. There is no substitute for a FP
> >> with a slicing blade when cutting up all those rinds.
> >>

> > Please give a holler when you find them. I have to go to the Farmer's
> > Market if I want to buy any - the FM is not my favorite place to shop,
> > so I only go when I have to.
> >

> They are usually only around for about a week.

Don't I know it.

--
"Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
(Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan Holbrook wrote:
>jmcquown wrote:
>>Alan Holbrook wrote:
>>>
>>>I do mine in the pressure cooker. Brown them in olive oil first, then
>>>add a can of diced tomatoes and their juices and enough beef broth to
>>>almost cover, bring the pot to pressure and cook for 40 minutes.
>>>

>> Sounds like a plan. I don't own a pressure cooker.

>You ought to look into it. I like mine, and I use it fairly often. To me,
>it's not only a time saver, it produces quality results.

Produces lousy results... you must be a big fan of canned foods...
cooking too hot and too fast (meats especially) alters food greatly
from proper braising... pressure processors ruin food. You probably
think canned stew and veggies are cooked perfectly. Cooking is like
other arts, you can have it fast or you can have it good, not both...
imagine the Pope to Michael Angelo painting the Cistine Chapel, yo
Mikey, when issa yoose gonna be done?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2014 9:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails.

What exactly are oxtails?

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 14:33:23 -0600, DreadfulBitch
> wrote:

> On 1/10/2014 9:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> >

> > For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails.

> What exactly are oxtails?

The tails of cattle.

--
"Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
(Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2014 3:33 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> On 1/10/2014 9:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>

>> For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails.

> What exactly are oxtails?

Beef tails. They're surprisingly meaty if you know what to look for.
The marrow from the bones adds great flavour and makes for wonderful
stock. That's what makes oxtail soup so delicious. But yes, they are
also fatty. That's why my oxtail soup recipe calls for cooling it down
and letting the fat solidify, then skim off the fat and proceed with
adding the vegetables.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/12/2014 3:33 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
>> On 1/10/2014 9:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>

>>> For some reason I woke up this morning thinking about oxtails.

>> What exactly are oxtails?
>>

> Beef tails. They're surprisingly meaty if you know what to look for. The
> marrow from the bones adds great flavour and makes for wonderful stock.
> That's what makes oxtail soup so delicious. But yes, they are also fatty.
> That's why my oxtail soup recipe calls for cooling it down and letting the
> fat solidify, then skim off the fat and proceed with adding the
> vegetables.

Does it taste like regular been to you? When I had it I didn't like it

picky O

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-12 5:54 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> What exactly are oxtails?
>>

> Beef tails. They're surprisingly meaty if you know what to look for.
> The marrow from the bones adds great flavour and makes for wonderful
> stock. That's what makes oxtail soup so delicious. But yes, they are
> also fatty. That's why my oxtail soup recipe calls for cooling it down
> and letting the fat solidify, then skim off the fat and proceed with
> adding the vegetables.

There is something very special about the meat too. It is sweet and
probably the strongest tasting cut of beef .... in a good way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-01-12 5:54 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>>> What exactly are oxtails?
>>>

>> Beef tails. They're surprisingly meaty if you know what to look for.
>> The marrow from the bones adds great flavour and makes for wonderful
>> stock. That's what makes oxtail soup so delicious. But yes, they are
>> also fatty. That's why my oxtail soup recipe calls for cooling it down
>> and letting the fat solidify, then skim off the fat and proceed with
>> adding the vegetables.

> There is something very special about the meat too. It is sweet and
> probably the strongest tasting cut of beef .... in a good way.

Ahh that is why I didn't like it I expect.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-12 5:56 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> What exactly are oxtails?
>>>

>> Beef tails. They're surprisingly meaty if you know what to look for.
>> The marrow from the bones adds great flavour and makes for wonderful
>> stock. That's what makes oxtail soup so delicious. But yes, they are
>> also fatty. That's why my oxtail soup recipe calls for cooling it down
>> and letting the fat solidify, then skim off the fat and proceed with
>> adding the vegetables.

> Does it taste like regular been to you? When I had it I didn't like it

I am assuming that is a typo and you mean beef. It is, I think, the
beefiest tasting cut. It is a strong taste, I think much stronger than
other cuts of beef, but it is a beefy taste. It also tends to be a
little sweet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-12 6:17 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Beef tails. They're surprisingly meaty if you know what to look for.
>>> The marrow from the bones adds great flavour and makes for wonderful
>>> stock. That's what makes oxtail soup so delicious. But yes, they are
>>> also fatty. That's why my oxtail soup recipe calls for cooling it down
>>> and letting the fat solidify, then skim off the fat and proceed with
>>> adding the vegetables.

>> There is something very special about the meat too. It is sweet and
>> probably the strongest tasting cut of beef .... in a good way.

> Ahh that is why I didn't like it I expect.

Don't worry. We were lamenting the incredible increase in price. We
really don't want more people to start liking it and driving the price
up even higher.