Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default rice tip ( aids in the cleanup )

I wanted a small amt of rice to stretch my take-home from an Asian resto.
Using my red silicone brush, I painted my small SS saucepan's sides and bottom with a bit of veg oil. When the rice was done, I fluffed it with a fork and there were MAYBE 3 grains stuck to the bottom which I was able to wipe away pretty easily. That tiny bit of oil made all the diff. Yeah, yeah, I know - I should buy a rice cooker etc. - but this was good enough for me.. HTH.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:10:04 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>I wanted a small amt of rice to stretch my take-home from an Asian resto.
>Using my red silicone brush, I painted my small SS saucepan's sides and bottom with a bit of veg oil. When the rice was done, I fluffed it with a fork and there were MAYBE 3 grains stuck to the bottom which I was able to wipe away pretty easily. That tiny bit of oil made all the diff. Yeah, yeah, I know - I should buy a rice cooker etc. - but this was good enough for me. HTH.

I always add a bit of butter to a pot of rice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2014 9:10 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> I wanted a small amt of rice to stretch my take-home from an Asian
> resto. Using my red silicone brush, I painted my small SS saucepan's
> sides and bottom with a bit of veg oil. When the rice was done, I
> fluffed it with a fork and there were MAYBE 3 grains stuck to the
> bottom which I was able to wipe away pretty easily. That tiny bit of
> oil made all the diff. Yeah, yeah, I know - I should buy a rice
> cooker etc. - but this was good enough for me. HTH.

I just leave the rice in the pot with the top on. The rice does not
stick. I do the same with porridge. If you leave leftover porridge in
the pot it sticks. If you fill it with water it is not as bad. If you
put the top on.... no problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
I wanted a small amt of rice to stretch my take-home from an Asian resto.
Using my red silicone brush, I painted my small SS saucepan's sides and
bottom with a bit of veg oil. When the rice was done, I fluffed it with a
fork and there were MAYBE 3 grains stuck to the bottom which I was able to
wipe away pretty easily. That tiny bit of oil made all the diff. Yeah,
yeah, I know - I should buy a rice cooker etc. - but this was good enough
for me. HTH.

I always put a small amount of oil or butter in my rice much to the horror
of my friend who doesn't cook much but was taught to cook Japanese foods by
her former MIL. We don't do a lot of Asian food but if I was to make it for
that I would use a very light tasting oil. But I usually just use olive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:10:04 -0800 (PST), Kalmia wrote:
>
>> I wanted a small amt of rice to stretch my take-home from an Asian
>> resto. Using my red silicone brush, I painted my small SS
>> saucepan's sides and bottom with a bit of veg oil. When the rice
>> was done, I fluffed it with a fork and there were MAYBE 3 grains
>> stuck to the bottom which I was able to wipe away pretty easily.
>> That tiny bit of oil made all the diff. Yeah, yeah, I know - I
>> should buy a rice cooker etc. - but this was good enough for me.
>> HTH.

> I'm sorry, but I find getting rice out of a pan total NON-ISSUE. I
> would not even consider dirtying a brush to do what you did.
>
> Perhaps you're used to cooking your rice at too high of a temperature?

I just put a few drops of oil in the water. Or a tiny piece of butter.
Might use more, depending on what I am making. I have cooked it without any
and once in a while it will stick but mainly I do it because I happen to
like the little bit of richness it adds to the rice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2014 9:10 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> I wanted a small amt of rice to stretch my take-home from an Asian resto.
> Using my red silicone brush, I painted my small SS saucepan's sides and
> bottom with a bit of veg oil. When the rice was done, I fluffed it with
> a fork and there were MAYBE 3 grains stuck to the bottom which I was able
> to wipe away pretty easily. That tiny bit of oil made all the diff.
> Yeah, yeah, I know - I should buy a rice cooker etc. - but this was good enough for me. HTH.

Could be the oil in the pan caused the rice to stick. Thinking it was
being fried, not steamed?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/10/2014 9:10 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>> I wanted a small amt of rice to stretch my take-home from an Asian resto.
>> Using my red silicone brush, I painted my small SS saucepan's sides and
>> bottom with a bit of veg oil. When the rice was done, I fluffed it with
>> a fork and there were MAYBE 3 grains stuck to the bottom which I was able
>> to wipe away pretty easily. That tiny bit of oil made all the diff.
>> Yeah, yeah, I know - I should buy a rice cooker etc. - but this was good
>> enough for me. HTH.
>>

> Could be the oil in the pan caused the rice to stick. Thinking it was
> being fried, not steamed?

Are you saying she didn't use any water??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2014 11:46 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 1/10/2014 9:10 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>>> I wanted a small amt of rice to stretch my take-home from an Asian
>>> resto.
>>> Using my red silicone brush, I painted my small SS saucepan's sides and
>>> bottom with a bit of veg oil. When the rice was done, I fluffed it with
>>> a fork and there were MAYBE 3 grains stuck to the bottom which I was
>>> able
>>> to wipe away pretty easily. That tiny bit of oil made all the diff.
>>> Yeah, yeah, I know - I should buy a rice cooker etc. - but this was
>>> good enough for me. HTH.
>>>

>> Could be the oil in the pan caused the rice to stick. Thinking it was
>> being fried, not steamed?

> Are you saying she didn't use any water??

I can't tell what she did by what she wrote. I'm pretty sure there was
water involved. But, if the pan got heated up and some of the rice
stuck to the oil... heck, I don't know. I see no reason for brushing
the pan with oil. I don't eat a lot of rice. When I do, I don't oil
the pot I'm cooking it in. That doesn't make any sense.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill et al,

I proceeded as usual, once I'd bushed on the oil. Oh, it was a tiny amount, to be sure. Prob. not even 1/8th tsp, but it made a diff. Before, I used to lose a lot of rice on the pan bottom and sides, not to mention all the digging and scraping.

I guess my point is----I love that brush and keep finding new ways to use it.

I'm going to make a big batch of waffles (to freeze for busy mornings) this aft and will paint the iron with that brush and a bit of safflower oil, even thought it's touted to be non-stick. What a laugh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 11, 2014 2:13:44 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> I always put a small amount of oil or butter in my rice

This is something different - to prevent sticking to the pan.

Try dropping in a star anise for a nice flavor touch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/11/2014 11:46 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Could be the oil in the pan caused the rice to stick. Thinking it was
>>> being fried, not steamed?

>> Are you saying she didn't use any water??
>>

> I can't tell what she did by what she wrote. I'm pretty sure there was
> water involved. But, if the pan got heated up and some of the rice stuck
> to the oil... heck, I don't know. I see no reason for brushing the pan
> with oil. I don't eat a lot of rice. When I do, I don't oil the pot I'm
> cooking it in. That doesn't make any sense.

Thanks.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/11/2014 1:03 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I'm sorry, but I find getting rice out of a pan total NON-ISSUE.

**** off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 02:03:36 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> Perhaps you're used to cooking your rice at too high of a temperature?
>
> -sw

>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...
>>
>> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
>> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
>> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
>> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
>> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Jan 2014 02:45:39 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Fri 10 Jan 2014 07:35:29p, Brooklyn1 told us...
>
>> On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:10:04 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I wanted a small amt of rice to stretch my take-home from an Asian
>>>resto. Using my red silicone brush, I painted my small SS
>>>saucepan's sides and bottom with a bit of veg oil. When the rice
>>>was done, I fluffed it with a fork and there were MAYBE 3 grains
>>>stuck to the bottom which I was able to wipe away pretty easily.
>>>That tiny bit of oil made all the diff. Yeah, yeah, I know - I
>>>should buy a rice cooker etc. - but this was good enough for me.
>>>HTH.

>> I always add a bit of butter to a pot of rice.
>>

>As do I. but it may vary from butter to olive oil or some other oil,
>depending on how it will be used.

It's extremely rare I do plain white rice, I almost always do a
pilaf... right now I have a pot on the stove with a sauted minced
onion and garlic with Goya sazon, some other seasonings, a can of
black beans and the rice, gonna accompany a 4 lb boneless pork loin
roast. This time I used olive oil, sometimes butter to saute...
sometimes both. I don't measure nor do I use exact recipes... but as
the years roll by my same dishes seem to constantly improve. I think
following recipes is very limiting... like paint by numbers. My only
limiting factor is the size of the pot, and many times I've dumped it
all into a larger pot. I really don't like plain white rice... my
favorite rice to use is Goya Canilla.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I always put a small amount of oil or butter in my rice

>This is something different - to prevent sticking to the pan.

I don't add fat to prevent sticking, I prefer the flavor/texture. I
really don't like the plain white rice from Chinese restaurants, it's
pure flavorless starch, like eating plaster of paris. I'm surprised
they use corn starch slurry as a thickener, they really should use
rice flour... I think originally the Chinese used lotus root flour as
thickener.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 08:09:33 -0400, wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 18:10:04 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
> >I wanted a small amt of rice to stretch my take-home from an Asian resto.
> >Using my red silicone brush, I painted my small SS saucepan's sides and bottom with a bit of veg oil. When the rice was done, I fluffed it with a fork and there were MAYBE 3 grains stuck to the bottom which I was able to wipe away pretty easily. That tiny bit of oil made all the diff. Yeah, yeah, I know - I should buy a rice cooker etc. - but this was good enough for me. HTH.

> I don't have a rice cooker, I just use a heavy pan but it never sticks
> - unless - I have overcooked it. You need to get it off the stove
> just as it has absorbed all the water. I wash the rice well, add
> enough water to cover the rice + 1/4 inch, bring to boil, cover, turn
> heat lowest and leave 20 mins. It can vary with the stove a bit, so
> test it. (Light years ago my amah taught me how to cook it, no rice
> cookers then, just women lol)

I usually use my rice cooker, but the way I do it on the stove is a
combination of boiling and steaming. I boil it in a large amount of
water until the kernels have popped, but still have an uncooked core,
then drain well. It goes back in the pot and steams for at least 10
minutes with the heat as low as possible or in my case (because I have
heavy saucepans that retain heat), turned off.

The other tip is to let it dry out a bit on the bottom. I guess I
have other things to do in the kitchen so it sits there for a while
and happens anyway - but hubby made that discovery the other day and
"informed" me, so letting it dry out a bit is at the front of my mind.

--
"Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
(Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 09:08:08 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Saturday, January 11, 2014 2:13:44 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > I always put a small amount of oil or butter in my rice

> This is something different - to prevent sticking to the pan.

If you're using oil, do you ever saute your rice for a bit before
proceeding (butter works too)? It's a method commonly associated with
risotto and pilaf.

--
"Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
(Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/10/2014 4:10 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> I wanted a small amt of rice to stretch my take-home from an Asian resto.
> Using my red silicone brush, I painted my small SS saucepan's sides and bottom with a bit of veg oil. When the rice was done, I fluffed it with a fork and there were MAYBE 3 grains stuck to the bottom which I was able to wipe away pretty easily. That tiny bit of oil made all the diff. Yeah, yeah, I know - I should buy a rice cooker etc. - but this was good enough for me. HTH.

That's an interesting idea. If I had my family's old aluminum rice pot,
I'd try it. The pot on my rice cooker is non-stick which is a real
convenient advancement in rice cooking technology.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 20:46:42 -0400, wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 17:27:56 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>>On 11 Jan 2014 02:45:39 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri 10 Jan 2014 07:35:29p, Brooklyn1 told us...

>>>As do I. but it may vary from butter to olive oil or some other oil,
>>>depending on how it will be used.

>>It's extremely rare I do plain white rice, I almost always do a
>>pilaf... right now I have a pot on the stove with a sauted minced
>>onion and garlic with Goya sazon, some other seasonings, a can of
>>black beans and the rice, gonna accompany a 4 lb boneless pork loin
>>roast. This time I used olive oil, sometimes butter to saute...
>>sometimes both. I don't measure nor do I use exact recipes... but as
>>the years roll by my same dishes seem to constantly improve. I think
>>following recipes is very limiting... like paint by numbers. My only
>>limiting factor is the size of the pot, and many times I've dumped it
>>all into a larger pot. I really don't like plain white rice... my
>>favorite rice to use is Goya Canilla.

>While not measuring is right after my own heart, I had plain white
>rice as a kid far more often than spuds, so it's sort of comfort food.

I don't consider potatoes or rice comfort food, those are poverty
foods... to me comfort food is smoked whitefish, NYC bagels, and
vodka.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

lucretiaborgia wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>
>>>While not measuring is right after my own heart, I had plain white
>>>rice as a kid far more often than spuds, so it's sort of comfort food.

>>I don't consider potatoes or rice comfort food, those are poverty
>>foods... to me comfort food is smoked whitefish, NYC bagels, and
>>vodka.

>Well perhaps they didn't seem like poverty foods, my amah used to feed
>me plain white rice and my parents didn't stop her, they saw no harm
>in it.

Your amah should have been feeding you turgid titty!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kalmia > wrote:

> I guess my point is----I love that brush and keep finding new ways to use it.

I have one too. It has completely replaced my old cooking (paint)
brushes for everything. I even believe it's clean after being washed,
and that's something.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 20:17:07 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

> In article >,
> Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > I guess my point is----I love that brush and keep finding new ways to use it.

> I have one too. It has completely replaced my old cooking (paint)
> brushes for everything. I even believe it's clean after being washed,
> and that's something.

I love my silicone brush too and finally eliminated all of my other
brushes including those ones with natural bristles last year.

--
"Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
(Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> I've often looked at them, can they be dumped into the dishwasher
> >> after use ?

> >Absolutely!!!

> OK that sounds good, will pick some up, thanks.

Don't buy the first expensive one you see, make a trip to Target. I
can't tell you where I bought mine, but it was well under $10,
probably more like $5. I bought the least expensive one I could find
because I wasn't convinced I'd like it as much as I do... it is just a
basic brush and looks like this
http://img1.banggood.com/thumb/galle...U061883.01.jpg

If you pay more, make sure you're getting what you're paying for!
http://howtocook.casaveneracion.com/...r-the-grooves/

--
"Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
(Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 12, 2014 11:17:07 PM UTC-5, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >,
>
> Kalmia > wrote:
>

> > I guess my point is----I love that brush and keep finding new ways to use it.

> I have one too. It has completely replaced my old cooking (paint)
>
> brushes for everything. I even believe it's clean after being washed,
>
> and that's something.
>

> leo

Like rubber spatulas, I think I could even stand to have more than ONE some days. Those red brushes will def. be my choice for a grab bag gift come next Xmas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:31:16 PM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jan 2014 20:17:07 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
>
> > wrote:
>

> > In article >,

> > Kalmia > wrote:

> > > I guess my point is----I love that brush and keep finding new ways to use it.

> > I have one too. It has completely replaced my old cooking (paint)

> > brushes for everything. I even believe it's clean after being washed,

> > and that's something.

> I love my silicone brush too and finally eliminated all of my other
>
> brushes including those ones with natural bristles last year.

Silicone would be the last thing I would use for a brush because the material does not have an afinity to water. OTOH, it actually works great and is easy as pie to wash up.

> --
>
> "Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
>
> (Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 13:52:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

> Silicone would be the last thing I would use for a brush because the material does not have an afinity to water. OTOH, it actually works great and is easy as pie to wash up.

You'll have to explain what "affinity to water" means. My brush is
the least expensive el-cheapo model I could find. It doesn't have the
grooves mentioned in the article and I have absolutely no problem with
how much liquid it can "hold".

--
"Corporations aren't people, they're Republicans"
(Rev Al Sharpton 10/7/2011)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2014 11:58 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 13:52:53 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> Silicone would be the last thing I would use for a brush because the material does not have an afinity to water. OTOH, it actually works great and is easy as pie to wash up.

> You'll have to explain what "affinity to water" means. My brush is
> the least expensive el-cheapo model I could find. It doesn't have the
> grooves mentioned in the article and I have absolutely no problem with
> how much liquid it can "hold".

Silicone neither absorbs water nor does water stick to it's surface. The
reason these brushes work is through capillary action. Well that's my
theory anyway. OTOH, what difference does it make as long as it works.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/13/2014 9:11 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> In related news, two die another in critical condition after trying
> to rescue a cell phone:
>
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...ve-cell-phone/
>
> At least THEY had a purpose in life, even if they didn't succeed.

I heard about that today. People, just let it go!

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-01-14, Cheryl > wrote:

> I heard about that today. People, just let it go!

All this for a recorded phone spam!? Un-freakin'-believable.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> Perhaps we should feel sorry that a persons life could be that
> pointless and empty.

Especially this don't you think:

" researching people on Usenet... stalking people for the purpose of
harassment"

Not exactly unknown here is it ... and not just from Marty's stalker either!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 18:00:18 -0600, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 08:57:53 -0800, sf wrote:
>
>> To be fair, that troll is just returning the favor that Spin and
>> Marty's troll nyms have done for other news groups. Turn about it
>> fair play and all that.

> <yawn> Stroke it, gurl!
>
> -sw

Yer just pent up cuz marty's outta town...