Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Marshmallows (child-friendly recipe)

My daughter (now 10 y/o) likes to do some sort of baking on Sundays -
mostly cup cakes, cookies and the such like...

Not being a good baker myself, I bought her a 'miniature cookbook' that is
a compilation of easy cookie recipes (from a local magazine) a few years
ago, and she is now at the age where she uses it regularly <grin>. I (or
my husband) have to supervise for some of the recipes where hot
ovens/stove tops etc. are involved, but I've learned a thing or two myself
in the process ;-)

Today was her second attempt at marshmallows because we enjoyed them the
first time she made them - and I have to admit it's an easy recipe. Not
exactly 'traditional' as no actual baking (or hot syrup) is involved - but
they do taste good!

Here's the REC:

Title: Instant coconut marshmallows
Yield: 48 marshmallows
Category: Cookies Desserts
Cuisine: South African
Source: YOU Magazine - Delectable Cookies - compiled by Carmen Niehaus

---
Ingredients
---
30 ml gelatin
60 ml cold water
180 ml hot water
500 ml sugar (granulated)
2 extra-large egg whites, whisked until stiff 5 ml vanilla essence
desiccated coconut - toasted

---
Instructions
---

In a large mixing bowl sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and leave
to sponge (about 10 minutes). Pour the hot water on top and stir until the
gelatin has dissolved. Add the sugar, whisked egg whites and vanilla
essence and beat mixture until it thickens (takes about 15-20 minutes).
Rinse a greased baking tin with cold water and shake well to remove excess
water. Pour the mixture into the baking tin and chill in the fridge until
set (about 4 hours). Cut into squares and roll in toasted coconut.

Notes: if you're not a coconut fan, they can be rolled in icing sugar.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

>My daughter (now 10 y/o) likes to do some sort of baking on Sundays -
>mostly cup cakes, cookies and the such like...
>
>Not being a good baker myself, I bought her a 'miniature cookbook' that is
>a compilation of easy cookie recipes (from a local magazine) a few years
>ago, and she is now at the age where she uses it regularly <grin>. I (or
>my husband) have to supervise for some of the recipes where hot
>ovens/stove tops etc. are involved, but I've learned a thing or two myself
>in the process ;-)
>
>Today was her second attempt at marshmallows because we enjoyed them the
>first time she made them - and I have to admit it's an easy recipe. Not
>exactly 'traditional' as no actual baking (or hot syrup) is involved - but
>they do taste good!
>
>Here's the REC:
>
>Title: Instant coconut marshmallows
>Yield: 48 marshmallows
>Category: Cookies Desserts
>Cuisine: South African
>Source: YOU Magazine - Delectable Cookies - compiled by Carmen Niehaus
>
>---
>Ingredients
>---
>30 ml gelatin
>60 ml cold water
>180 ml hot water
>500 ml sugar (granulated)
>2 extra-large egg whites, whisked until stiff 5 ml vanilla essence
> desiccated coconut - toasted
>
>---
>Instructions
>---
>
>In a large mixing bowl sprinkle the gelatin over the cold water and leave
>to sponge (about 10 minutes). Pour the hot water on top and stir until the
>gelatin has dissolved. Add the sugar, whisked egg whites and vanilla
>essence and beat mixture until it thickens (takes about 15-20 minutes).
>Rinse a greased baking tin with cold water and shake well to remove excess
>water. Pour the mixture into the baking tin and chill in the fridge until
>set (about 4 hours). Cut into squares and roll in toasted coconut.
>

>Notes: if you're not a coconut fan, they can be rolled in icing sugar.

Here's another for your daughter to try:

COCONUT CARAMEL PANNA COTTAS

3 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin (about 1 1/2 1/4-ounce envelopes)
1/3 cup whole milk
3/4 cup sugar
a 14 1/2- or 15-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk, well-stirred
1 cup well-stirred canned cream of coconut such as Coco Lopez
1 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons light rum

In a small bowl sprinkle gelatin over whole milk to soften. In a dry
heavy saucepan cook sugar over moderately low heat, stirring slowly
with a fork (to help sugar melt evenly), until melted and pale golden.
Cook caramel, without stirring, swirling pan, until deep golden. Coat
bottoms of eight 3/4-cup molds or ramekins with caramel.

In a large saucepan bring coconut milk and cream of coconut just to a
boil, stirring. Remove pan from heat and add gelatin mixture, stirring
until dissolved. Stir in heavy cream and rum. Cool panna cotta 30
minutes. Stir panna cotta well and divide among molds or ramekins.
Cool panna cottas completely. Chill desserts until firm, at least 4
hours, and up to 2 days.

To unmold panna cottas, dip molds or ramekins, 1 at a time, into a
bowl of hot water 3 seconds. Run a thin knife around edges of molds or
ramekins and invert desserts onto a platter.

Makes 8 servings.

Gourmet
April 1997

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 08:17:44 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Here's another for your daughter to try:
>
> COCONUT CARAMEL PANNA COTTAS

<snipped for brevity>

Thanks muchly Sheldon. Have printed it out for her... think she'll want to
try it soon!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 12:59:06 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

> Today was her second attempt at marshmallows because we enjoyed them the
> first time she made them - and I have to admit it's an easy recipe. Not
> exactly 'traditional' as no actual baking (or hot syrup) is involved - but
> they do taste good!

My DIL made marshmallows a couple of times this year and home made is
*nothing* like store bought. They are so delicious, it's hard to stay
away from them! The problem with home made is they don't stay on the
end of a stick or hot dog fork very well, so it's impossible to toast
them over a campfire and make S'mores with them. My son has used a
torch, but that's overly fussy, IMO... then I saw the microwave method
for commercial marshmallows, which made me think broiling home made in
the oven would be the way to go.

BTW this isn't dessert, but I *just* saw this recipe on Pinterest. I
had to use the Google translate plug-in - maybe you won't need to.
http://huisgenoot.com/kos/oondgeroosterde-groente/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 16:20:10 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 08:17:44 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>

> > Here's another for your daughter to try:
> >
> > COCONUT CARAMEL PANNA COTTAS

> <snipped for brevity>
>
> Thanks muchly Sheldon. Have printed it out for her... think she'll want to
> try it soon!

Here's another easy one. There's a chocolate version too, but I like
lemon. You can use keifer in place of buttermilk if that's easier to
find.

Meyer Lemon Buttermilk Pudding Cake
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Berries-231451
Bon Appétit | January 2005

6 to 8 servings

ingredients

1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup sugar, divided
4 large egg yolks
1/3 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice (or use regular lemon)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 large egg whites (I use all 4 whites)

Whipping cream
Assorted fresh berries

preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish.

Blend buttermilk, 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks, lemon juice, flour,
butter, and salt in blender until smooth. Transfer buttermilk mixture
to medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat egg whites in large bowl
until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat
until stiff but not dry. Gently fold buttermilk mixture into whites
in 3 additions (batter will be runny).

Pour batter into prepared dish. Place dish in roasting pan. Pour
enough hot water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of dish.
Bake until entire top is evenly browned and cake moves very slightly
in center but feels slightly springy to touch, about 45 minutes.
Remove dish from roasting pan.

Cool cake completely in baking dish on rack. Refrigerate until cold,
at least 3 hours and up to 6 hours.

Spoon pudding cake out into shallow bowls. Pour cream around cake.
Top with berries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 06:39:11 -0800, sf wrote:

> BTW this isn't dessert, but I *just* saw this recipe on Pinterest. I had
> to use the Google translate plug-in - maybe you won't need to.
> http://huisgenoot.com/kos/oondgeroosterde-groente/

Nope, no need to translate... This is because HUISgenoot is the Afrikaans
version of the YOU magazine from which the recipe in my OP came from!

They publish some 'simple, but tasty' recipes - nothing wrong with than
IMHO!

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 06:46:29 -0800, sf wrote:

> Here's another easy one. There's a chocolate version too, but I like
> lemon. You can use keifer in place of buttermilk if that's easier to
> find.

Many thanks, sf!

--
Cheers