Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How Do You Sharpen Your Knives?

I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be kept
very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a whetstone?
Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners beloved of Williams-
Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm not talking about
maintaining an edge over time with the use of something like a steel. I do
that, and it does help keep the knives sharper longer. But what do you do
to sharpen a truly dull edge?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
. 3.30...
>I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be kept
> very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a whetstone?
> Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners beloved of
> Williams-
> Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm not talking about
> maintaining an edge over time with the use of something like a steel. I
> do
> that, and it does help keep the knives sharper longer. But what do you do
> to sharpen a truly dull edge?

I have a pro redo the edge on my knives probably 3 times a year. In
between I use a steel to hone the edge. The edge is the foundation. The
steel maintains the edges.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
> . 3.30...
>>I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be
>>kept
>> very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a whetstone?
>> Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners beloved of
>> Williams-
>> Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm not talking about
>> maintaining an edge over time with the use of something like a steel. I
>> do
>> that, and it does help keep the knives sharper longer. But what do you
>> do
>> to sharpen a truly dull edge?

> I have a pro redo the edge on my knives probably 3 times a year. In
> between I use a steel to hone the edge. The edge is the foundation. The
> steel maintains the edges.

I do it myself with a set of oil stones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 28, 2013 4:35:54 AM UTC-5, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be kept
>
> very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a whetstone?
>
> Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners beloved of Williams-
>
> Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm not talking about
>
> maintaining an edge over time with the use of something like a steel. I do
>
> that, and it does help keep the knives sharper longer. But what do you do
>
> to sharpen a truly dull edge?

I was given one of these years ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Mcgowan-Firest...owViewpoints=1

(They come under different brands, but all are "Firestone" sharpeners.)

I run my knives through it every couple of years to take out the dings, etc. and it works a treat.

In between, I use one of these (below) every ~5 times I pull out a knife. (Mine came packaged with the above, but they're obviously also sold separately). Also works a treat and is easier and faster to use than a stone or steel (disclaimer: for me).

http://www.amazon.com/Mcgowan-Firest...ords=Firestone

(Again, same thing shows up under different brands, but still all are "Firestone" sharpeners. You can also do better on price than Amazon - I just included those links for illustration.)

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-28, Alan Holbrook > wrote:

> that, and it does help keep the knives sharper longer. But what do you do
> to sharpen a truly dull edge?

I use a water stone, two grit. Never saw the sense of an arkansas
stone. A good knife will hold and edge for at least one year, or
more. If not, it's not a good knife. IMO, a good enough edge is one
that can easily slice through a tomato skin or cleanly through raw
defrosted meat, after a good steeling. I've got a 10" Shun. Damn
thing is sooo sharp, scares even me. I see no sense in a razor sharp
blade for food. Shaving, OK! Food? Anal overkill.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/13 4:35 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> .... But what do you do to sharpen a truly dull edge?

Well, firstly, you should never let an edge get really dull.

I use a Chef's Choice 130 for American edges, and a Chef's Choice 416 (I
think -- the red one) for Japanese edges. However, I am gradually
shifting all my knives over to 16 degree Japanese edges, so the 130 will
go in a few months.

I carry a Shinkansen ceramic-water sharpener when I travel with knives.
(It's a cheaper, two-stage clone of the Global Minosharp.)

I have other manual/stick/wetstone sharpeners as well, but almost never
use them.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 03:35:54 -0600, Alan Holbrook >
wrote:

>I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be kept
>very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a whetstone?
>Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners beloved of Williams-
>Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm not talking about
>maintaining an edge over time with the use of something like a steel. I do
>that, and it does help keep the knives sharper longer. But what do you do
>to sharpen a truly dull edge?

Furi Ozitech fingers One set for sharpening, another for honing
between sharpening.
http://www.furiglobal.com/products/f...g-technologies

This is the knife I use the most
http://www.furiglobal.com/furi-fx-kn...ppertail-fx514
Posted to rec.food.cooking

About once or twice a year, we take a ride to a guy who sharpens knives. It's a nice outing - there's a good Mexican resto in that town where we go for lunch and the sharpening guy doesn't feel rushed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-28, pltrgyst > wrote:
> On 12/28/13 4:35 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>> .... But what do you do to sharpen a truly dull edge?

> Well, firstly, you should never let an edge get really dull.
>
> I use a Chef's Choice 130 for American edges, and a Chef's Choice 416 (I
> think -- the red one) for Japanese edges. However, I am gradually
> shifting all my knives over to 16 degree Japanese edges, so the 130 will
> go in a few months.

Nice to hear from a 16deg vs 20deg user. I was wondering about the
same issue. My Shun is 16, my German blades, 20. Haven't used the
Shun, that much, but my LamsonSharp 6" chef and Solingen 7.5"
abbreviated Asian-style clever will both hold edges almost forever,
despite daily use. Will changing to a 16deg bevel increase the need
for sharpening frequency?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be kept
> very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a whetstone?
> Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners beloved of Williams-
> Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm not talking about
> maintaining an edge over time with the use of something like a steel. I do
> that, and it does help keep the knives sharper longer. But what do you do
> to sharpen a truly dull edge?

I've done it all, but if I had a truly dull edge - I'd have it
professionally sharpened first and maintain it at home after that. I
have a Chef's Choice sharpener, but I rarely use it. I maintain my
edges with a cheap, two sided, stone that I use with water, not oil,
and I never use the steel. Don't spend a lot of money on a whet
stone. The one I have now cost $6 at Home Depot. I gave my even less
expensive 30 year old stone to my son so I could buy a new one.

I keep my stone out by the sink and knife block, so I can easily give
my knife blade a couple of passes over the stone if I think the edge
needs a tune up. No fuss, no bother, no drama and it's done.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be kept
>very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a whetstone?
>Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners beloved of Williams-
>Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm not talking about
>maintaining an edge over time with the use of something like a steel. I do
>that, and it does help keep the knives sharper longer. But what do you do
>to sharpen a truly dull edge?

Waterstones and a wet powered wheel; the same things I use for my
plane blades, chisels, and other bench tools. I have one carving
knife, English Sheffield about 60 years old, that I have
professionally sharpened as the blade has a double curve that is time
consuming to get right. Since it is only used 2-3 times a year, it
does not require sharpening very often.

-bs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:59:41 -0600, B. Server >
wrote:

> the blade has a double curve

a serrated edge?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/2013 11:35 PM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be kept
> very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a whetstone?
> Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners beloved of Williams-
> Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm not talking about
> maintaining an edge over time with the use of something like a steel. I do
> that, and it does help keep the knives sharper longer. But what do you do
> to sharpen a truly dull edge?

I've been using an Edge Grip 2 sharpener, sold under various brand
names. It a very cheap sharper that's easy to use. It's tiny and has
non-slip surfaces on the bottom and for gripping so it's very stable in
use. It puts an edge on a knife fast. It's around 9 to 12 bucks. It's great!
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-12-28 09:35:54 +0000, Alan Holbrook said:

> I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be kept
> very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them?

I use a Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker. Runs around $50. Sharpens
anything metal:

http://tinyurl.com/nqf9pd5

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be kept
>very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a whetstone?
>Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners beloved of Williams-
>Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm not talking about
>maintaining an edge over time with the use of something like a steel. I do
>that, and it does help keep the knives sharper longer. But what do you do
>to sharpen a truly dull edge?

Place them withibn a pemtacle pyrimid at a certain angle and wait.

They sharpen themselves!! It's amazing!

;-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Alan Holbrook > wrote:

> I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be kept
> very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a whetstone?
> Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners beloved of Williams-
> Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm not talking about
> maintaining an edge over time with the use of something like a steel. I do
> that, and it does help keep the knives sharper longer. But what do you do
> to sharpen a truly dull edge?

A set of diamond plates (coarse, medium, fine) from Harbor Freight and
an Arkansas white stone for the final touch.

If the edge is really dull (which means that somebody else has been
using the knives), I start with the coarse diamond plate.

I tried one of those "V" sharpeners, but it doesn't even get close to
what the plates can do.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 28, 2013 7:35:54 PM UTC+10, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be kept
> very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them?
> [...] Note that I'm not talking about
> maintaining an edge over time with the use of something like a steel.
> [...] But what do you do to sharpen a truly dull edge?

Silicon carbide wet-and-dry paper wrapped around a wooden block, with water. Or silicon carbide waterstone. Or a diamond stone.

Not had to resort to them for a kitchen knife, but have for other blades: files, bench grinder, belt sander. These will speed up the process when you start with a _truly_ dull edge.

Use a whetstone?

> Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners beloved of Williams-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 03:35:54 -0600, Alan Holbrook >
> wrote:
>
>>I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be
>>kept very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a
>>whetstone? Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners
>>beloved of Williams- Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm
>>not talking about maintaining an edge over time with the use of
>>something like a steel. I do that, and it does help keep the knives
>>sharper longer. But what do you do to sharpen a truly dull edge?

> Place them withibn a pemtacle pyrimid at a certain angle and wait.
>
> They sharpen themselves!! It's amazing!
>
> ;-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Thanks, John, I saw that technique discussed once on 'Ancient Aliens' on
the History Channel, and it looked interesting. But I'm a bit squeamish,
and the need to sacrifice the live rooster under a full moon puts me off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan Holbrook > wrote in
. 3.30:

> I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be
> kept very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a
> whetstone? Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners
> beloved of Williams- Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm
> not talking about maintaining an edge over time with the use of
> something like a steel. I do that, and it does help keep the knives
> sharper longer. But what do you do to sharpen a truly dull edge?

As always, thanks to all for the responses. I think I'm going to give the
Furi Ozitech a shot. It's inexpensive and it has basically good reviews on
Amazon. I'll report back after I try it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 03:35:54 -0600, Alan Holbrook >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be
>>>kept very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a
>>>whetstone? Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners
>>>beloved of Williams- Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm
>>>not talking about maintaining an edge over time with the use of
>>>something like a steel. I do that, and it does help keep the knives
>>>sharper longer. But what do you do to sharpen a truly dull edge?

>> Place them withibn a pemtacle pyrimid at a certain angle and wait.
>>
>> They sharpen themselves!! It's amazing!
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> John Kuthe...
>>

>Thanks, John, I saw that technique discussed once on 'Ancient Aliens' on
>the History Channel, and it looked interesting. But I'm a bit squeamish,
>and the need to sacrifice the live rooster under a full moon puts me off.

Oh of course!! Everything works better with Majical Thinking!! When I
used to work for IBM and did 2nd line support for our comuter users,
the first question I'd ask them when I called them about their
computer problem was "Did you sacrifice a chicken?"

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
. 3.30...
> Alan Holbrook > wrote in
> . 3.30:
>
>> I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be
>> kept very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a
>> whetstone? Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners
>> beloved of Williams- Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm
>> not talking about maintaining an edge over time with the use of
>> something like a steel. I do that, and it does help keep the knives
>> sharper longer. But what do you do to sharpen a truly dull edge?
>>

> As always, thanks to all for the responses. I think I'm going to give the
> Furi Ozitech a shot. It's inexpensive and it has basically good reviews
> on
> Amazon. I'll report back after I try it.

Now I feel really stupid! I got the steel with my knife set so thought I
was sharpening when I was using it. But lately I began to notice that the
knives were not so sharp and although it helped slightly, it wasn't helping
much. I had tossed my old rolling sharpener. Oops! Just ordered a new
one. Not that kind!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/29/13, 4:00 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:48:17 -0500, pltrgyst wrote:
>
>> I carry a Shinkansen ceramic-water sharpener when I travel with knives.
>> (It's a cheaper, two-stage clone of the Global Minosharp.)

> OK - I'll bite. I promise not to get critical. But why do you travel
> with knives and sharpeners? Is that you, Jay? :-)

Dunno who Jay is -- maybe he's keeping Sh****n company in my killfile.
It's pretty full these days. And I've probably been around here longer
than anyone else (i.e., since the first week the group existed).

I take a couple of knives or a knife roll:

- When we take vacations of a week or longer, especially if the place
has a kitchen;

- When I cook at someone else's (usually a relative's) house.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 09:43:18 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:59:41 -0600, B. Server >
>wrote:
>
>> the blade has a double curve

>a serrated edge?

No. Something close to the larger of the two German knives at this
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/28/2013 4:35 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be kept
> very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a whetstone?
> Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners beloved of Williams-
> Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm not talking about
> maintaining an edge over time with the use of something like a steel. I do
> that, and it does help keep the knives sharper longer. But what do you do
> to sharpen a truly dull edge?

I use "one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners" that was
recommended on this group. It does a great job. In between I try to
remember to use the steel.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 14:44:41 -0600, B. Server >
wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 09:43:18 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 10:59:41 -0600, B. Server >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> the blade has a double curve

> >a serrated edge?

> No. Something close to the larger of the two German knives at this
> though, in fact, the set is from Harrison Bros. (the second set at the
> URL)

Thanks, I couldn't visualize what you meant.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> "Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
> . 3.30...
>> Alan Holbrook > wrote in
>> . 3.30:
>>
>>> I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should
>>> be kept very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use
>>> a whetstone? Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners
>>> beloved of Williams- Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm
>>> not talking about maintaining an edge over time with the use of
>>> something like a steel. I do that, and it does help keep the knives
>>> sharper longer. But what do you do to sharpen a truly dull edge?
>>>

>> As always, thanks to all for the responses. I think I'm going to
>> give the Furi Ozitech a shot. It's inexpensive and it has basically
>> good reviews on
>> Amazon. I'll report back after I try it.

> Now I feel really stupid! I got the steel with my knife set so
> thought I was sharpening when I was using it. But lately I began to
> notice that the knives were not so sharp and although it helped
> slightly, it wasn't helping much. I had tossed my old rolling
> sharpener. Oops! Just ordered a new one. Not that kind!

Yep, that's right. According to the chef I take my lessons from, the
steel is not for sharpening, just for helping to maintain the edge
between sharpenings. She says for her, it's automatic to use the steel 4
or 5 times on each side of her knife every time she pulls it out of the
drawer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote in
:

> On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 23:52:59 -0800 (PST), Timo wrote:
>
>> Silicon carbide wet-and-dry paper wrapped around a wooden block,
>> with water. Or silicon carbide waterstone. Or a diamond stone.

> Somebody has silicon and carbon on the brain.
>
>> Not had to resort to them for a kitchen knife, but have for other
>> blades: files, bench grinder, belt sander. These will speed up the
>> process when you start with a _truly_ dull edge.

> If you need any of these then you must be living in the Bronze Age.
>
> -sw

Keeping woodworking tools like planes and chisels sharp is as much a
religion for woodworkers as keeping kitchen knives sharp is for cooks and
chefs. Every well equipped woodshop is going to have some device, or
maybe even more than one, dedicated to sharpening. And with some of the
high tech materials and jigs used, it's closer to rocket science than
bronze age.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl > wrote in
eb.com:

> On 12/28/2013 4:35 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>> I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should
>> be kept very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a
>> whetstone? Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners
>> beloved of Williams- Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm
>> not talking about maintaining an edge over time with the use of
>> something like a steel. I do that, and it does help keep the knives
>> sharper longer. But what do you do to sharpen a truly dull edge?
>>

> I use "one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners" that was
> recommended on this group. It does a great job. In between I try to
> remember to use the steel.

Being an ex-engineer and a current gadget freak, I'm sure I would like to
have one and use one if I had one. Problem is, as a retired ex-engineer,
I'm on a pretty tight budget for toys these days...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 03:10:51 -0600, Alan Holbrook >
wrote:

>Cheryl > wrote in
web.com:

>> On 12/28/2013 4:35 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>>> I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should
>>> be kept very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a
>>> whetstone? Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners
>>> beloved of Williams- Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm
>>> not talking about maintaining an edge over time with the use of
>>> something like a steel. I do that, and it does help keep the knives
>>> sharper longer. But what do you do to sharpen a truly dull edge?
>>>

>> I use "one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners" that was
>> recommended on this group. It does a great job. In between I try to
>> remember to use the steel.
>>

>Being an ex-engineer and a current gadget freak, I'm sure I would like to
>have one and use one if I had one. Problem is, as a retired ex-engineer,
>I'm on a pretty tight budget for toys these days...

Depends what kind of engineer, and even most mechanical engineers
possess no dexterity whatsoever... they're all theoretical, no hands
on experience.
As a retired tool and diemaker I don't need any fancy schmancy
jigs/fixtures, I can re form and sharpen any edge on any tool with a
bench grinder, I have this:
http://www.deltamachinery.com/produc...category_id=50
I can re form and sharpen any edge on any knife with a mill *******
machinist file.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Holbrook[_5_] View Post
I would imagine it's pretty well accepted on RFC that knives should be kept
very sharp. The question is, how do you sharpen them? Use a whetstone?
Use one of those fancy electric multi-stage sharpeners beloved of Williams-
Sonoma? Send them out to a pro? Note that I'm not talking about
maintaining an edge over time with the use of something like a steel. I do
that, and it does help keep the knives sharper longer. But what do you do
to sharpen a truly dull edge?
In my view a lot of of the game plan depends on the knife in question. I love Forshcner/Victornox knives which is what ever butcher I ever met also uses. They are relatively soft SS and made by yummpin yimmines in Sweden I think. If you get some of those all it takes is a steel. I have had mine for years and never needed any other form of abrasion. Now is you got some of the super hard yuppie kraut knives..Heinkles as a typical member of the genre..best take em out to a tinker with a grinding wheel. I hate those crazy things. Cheap old carbon steel butcher knives do pretty good on the little sharpeners with the V shaped stones or files in the middle then finish them off on the steel. Keeps us posted on the topic. Thanks. I buys my knives here. Dont buy the wood handles.

JustKnives101.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/30/13, 2:34 PM, bigwheel wrote:

> I love Forshcner/Victornox knives which is what ever butcher I ever met
> also uses. They are relatively soft SS and made by yummpin yimmines in
> Sweden I think. If you get some of those all it takes is a steel. I have
> had mine for years and never needed any other form of abrasion....

Then either you don't use your knives, or you have a diamond steel, or
you have sharpening faeries who sneak into your kitchen periodically,
or you've made a deal with the devil, or you're using dull knives.

Which is it? 8

If you can't shave hair off your arm without drawing blood, it's the
last option.

Softer steel needs sharpening more often, not less.

-- Larry (Yeah, I have Forschner's too. They need frequent sharpening.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Alan Holbrook > wrote:

> But what do you do to sharpen a truly dull edge?

I take them to a pro maybe every 12-18 months.
--
Barb,
http://www.barbschaller.com, as of April 8, 2013.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 16:39:10 -0500, pltrgyst > wrote:

> On 12/30/13, 2:34 PM, bigwheel wrote:
>
> > I love Forshcner/Victornox knives which is what ever butcher I ever met
> > also uses. They are relatively soft SS and made by yummpin yimmines in
> > Sweden I think. If you get some of those all it takes is a steel. I have
> > had mine for years and never needed any other form of abrasion....

> Then either you don't use your knives, or you have a diamond steel, or
> you have sharpening faeries who sneak into your kitchen periodically,
> or you've made a deal with the devil, or you're using dull knives.
>
> Which is it? 8
>
> If you can't shave hair off your arm without drawing blood, it's the
> last option.
>
> Softer steel needs sharpening more often, not less.
>
> -- Larry (Yeah, I have Forschner's too. They need frequent sharpening.)

Pssst: He never uses them. That reply is like the posters who claim
they use their non-stick pans last for 10 years. Subtext: seldomly
used.

Sorry Big Wheel - but unless you're cutting triple cream Brie on a
down filled pillow, those knives will dull with use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 > wrote in
:

> Depends what kind of engineer, and even most mechanical engineers
> possess no dexterity whatsoever... they're all theoretical, no hands
> on experience.
> As a retired tool and diemaker I don't need any fancy schmancy
> jigs/fixtures, I can re form and sharpen any edge on any tool with a
> bench grinder, I have this:
> http://www.deltamachinery.com/produc...g/item/23-199?
> category_id=50 I can re form and sharpen any edge on any knife with a
> mill ******* machinist file.

Look, Ma, I'm actually agreeing with Sheldon about something!
Engineering used to be a hands on profession many years ago, but these
days, most engineers are indeed theoretical types. It's a pleasure to
watch a craftsman perform work that looks efortless but is the result of
hands on talent and lots of hands on experience.

That having been said, what I really meant about being a former engineer
was more the gadget and the "fancy/schmancy jigs/fixtures" mindset. The
clerks at Williams-Sonoma and Sur la Table love to see people like me
walk through therir doors.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbschaller-
:

> In article >,
> Alan Holbrook > wrote:
>
>> But what do you do to sharpen a truly dull edge?

> I take them to a pro maybe every 12-18 months.

Just out of curiosity, what does a pro charge to sharpen say an 8" chef's
knife?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use a sharpening kit from Edge Pro. Highly recommended.

http://www.edgeproinc.com/Apex-Model...Pro-System-c3/

Check out their videos to see how it works. The kit includes a set of
sharpening stones and a cleverly-designed jig that helps to keep your
blade at the desired angle. Using it requires a bit of practice, but
it's easy to learn.

I've worked on a wide variety of kitchen and utility knives with this
system, and it can give scary-sharp edges. The working angle is
adjustable, which is useful for making double-bevel edges.

Most of their kits also include an ultra-fine-grit ceramic rod, which is
used, like a steel, to maintain your edges between sharpenings.

I am somewhat skeptical about those electric sharpening gadgets sold in
department stores (I forget the brand name). One time, I was watching a
company rep giving a demo in a store. People were bringing their knives
in for a free sharpening while he schmoozed. Maybe the guy was a klutz,
but the knives that he worked on were mangled. Really uneven rough
edges. The Edge Pro produces a very uniform bevel, similar to what you
get from a pro sharpening shop. Their medium grit stones (#400 or 600)
are sufficient to produce an excellent edge for kitchen knives.
Finishing with finer grit stones and polishing tapes gives a mirror-like
finish for collectible blades, or if you just want to show off.

--
Julian Vrieslander
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/31/13, 4:29 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, what does a pro charge to sharpen say an 8" chef's
> knife?

As a data point: $1 per inch of blade, in Washington, DC -- so $8.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-31 4:26 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:

> Look, Ma, I'm actually agreeing with Sheldon about something!
> Engineering used to be a hands on profession many years ago, but these
> days, most engineers are indeed theoretical types. It's a pleasure to
> watch a craftsman perform work that looks efortless but is the result of
> hands on talent and lots of hands on experience.
>
> That having been said, what I really meant about being a former engineer
> was more the gadget and the "fancy/schmancy jigs/fixtures" mindset. The
> clerks at Williams-Sonoma and Sur la Table love to see people like me
> walk through therir doors.

My father and his brother were both mechanical types, though it was the
uncle who had the paper learning while Dad had the natural talent. He
could figure out how anything worked and how to repair it. He used to
set up and manage production facilities. He trained as an aircraft
mechanic in the war years and ended up on air crew/

His brother was rejected from the air force because he was colour blind.
He spent the war years worked radar and other high tech stuff and later
worked on guided missile systems. He was a sucker for gadgets. When he
bought new cars they were were fully loaded with all the latest gizmos.
He had a depth sounder on his boat before most people even knew such
things were available for civilians.
He would buy things, not because he really needed them, but because he
was fascinated by the technology involved.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, pltrgyst >
wrote:

> On 12/31/13, 4:29 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>
> > Just out of curiosity, what does a pro charge to sharpen say an 8" chef's
> > knife?

> As a data point: $1 per inch of blade, in Washington, DC -- so $8.
>
> -- Larry

And in Minn'apolis, at $3.00 for a blade up to 12", $3.00. ;-) While I
wait. A couple kitchen stores charge at least $5/blade. And sometimes
the place I patronize has a half price sale going on.