Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Potluck Survival

Just out of college, I was a clerk for the Naval Architect of a large
shipyard. He many times remarked, "So soon old, so late smart." Well.
It's old here and we need to get smarter. Mr. Esther and I were guests at a
potluck Christmas day. He's fine. I may/may not survive. Weak as a
kitten, not that I ever saw a kitten who was anything but weak. Something
in the food brought nearly killed me.
Some of our grandchildren have the advantage of vulture digestions and
could eat roadkill raw. We, with our fragile systems need to be more
careful. I suspect what got me was a beautiful potato salad that my
sweetheart didn't touch and I enjoyed for a very few hours.
My question is this: If we live long enough to participate in another
Potluck, would you arrive late and only eat what you bring that is safe?
Arrive early and bring something and make a quick exit? Only eat crackers?
Spare me the cranky-pants responses. I just don't feel up to them. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Just out of college, I was a clerk for the Naval Architect of a large
> shipyard. He many times remarked, "So soon old, so late smart." Well.
> It's old here and we need to get smarter. Mr. Esther and I were guests at
> a potluck Christmas day. He's fine. I may/may not survive. Weak as a
> kitten, not that I ever saw a kitten who was anything but weak. Something
> in the food brought nearly killed me.
> Some of our grandchildren have the advantage of vulture digestions and
> could eat roadkill raw. We, with our fragile systems need to be more
> careful. I suspect what got me was a beautiful potato salad that my
> sweetheart didn't touch and I enjoyed for a very few hours.
> My question is this: If we live long enough to participate in another
> Potluck, would you arrive late and only eat what you bring that is safe?
> Arrive early and bring something and make a quick exit? Only eat
> crackers? Spare me the cranky-pants responses. I just don't feel up to
> them. Polly

I don't really care too much for potlucks anymore. I don't mind them as much
if I know exactly who brought what, but otherwise I usually pass on them.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 27, 2013 12:28:43 AM UTC-6, Cheri wrote:
> "Polly Esther" > wrote in message

> > Just out of college, I was a clerk for the Naval Architect of a large

> > shipyard. He many times remarked, "So soon old, so late smart." Well.

> > It's old here and we need to get smarter. Mr. Esther and I were guests at

> > a potluck Christmas day. He's fine. I may/may not survive. Weak as a

> > kitten, not that I ever saw a kitten who was anything but weak. Something

> > in the food brought nearly killed me.

> > Some of our grandchildren have the advantage of vulture digestions and

> > could eat roadkill raw. We, with our fragile systems need to be more

> > careful. I suspect what got me was a beautiful potato salad that my

> > sweetheart didn't touch and I enjoyed for a very few hours.

> > My question is this: If we live long enough to participate in another

> > Potluck, would you arrive late and only eat what you bring that is safe?

> > Arrive early and bring something and make a quick exit? Only eat

> > crackers? Spare me the cranky-pants responses. I just don't feel up to

> > them. Polly

> I don't really care too much for potlucks anymore. I don't mind them as much
>
> if I know exactly who brought what, but otherwise I usually pass on them.

And then you have to put up with being competent at yer job, and all that, and then you have to bring *CHIPS AND POP AND SIDES* to a ****ing cluster-****. Yay!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" > wrote in message
> Just out of college, I was a clerk for the Naval Architect of a large
> shipyard. He many times remarked, "So soon old, so late smart." Well.
> It's old here and we need to get smarter. Mr. Esther and I were guests at
> a potluck Christmas day. He's fine. I may/may not survive. Weak as a
> kitten, not that I ever saw a kitten who was anything but weak. Something
> in the food brought nearly killed me.
> Some of our grandchildren have the advantage of vulture digestions and
> could eat roadkill raw. We, with our fragile systems need to be more
> careful. I suspect what got me was a beautiful potato salad that my
> sweetheart didn't touch and I enjoyed for a very few hours.
> My question is this: If we live long enough to participate in another
> Potluck, would you arrive late and only eat what you bring that is safe?
> Arrive early and bring something and make a quick exit? Only eat
> crackers? Spare me the cranky-pants responses. I just don't feel up to
> them. Polly

Luckily potlucks seem to be out of vogue here. If I were to be invited I
would likely only eat what I brought. If there were raw veggies, I might
eat those even though raw veggies are notorious for causing food poisoning
but... AFAIK I have only ever had food poisoning three times. One from a
salad. One from something I ate at some place in NJ. I think it was a
sandwich with sprouts. And once following eating a plate of Rigatoni from
some rather unclean looking place in PA. I might also eat corn chips and
salsa. But... I would not eat anything if I arrived late.

I do have legit food issues though. GERD, gastroparesis, diabetes and food
intolerances.
So food poisoning aside, many foods could sicken me or raise my blood sugar.
I just say, "Sorry. I am on a special diet."

I once got into a nasty argument at a party. It started with an early lunch
following a church service. Most of the food was catered. Big foil pans of
various pastas with flames underneath. Sterno? Candles? Can't remember.
There was also a green salad, rolls and butter and some deviled eggs.
Perhaps fruit salad.

That kind of food is less than thrilling to begin with. And I didn't have
all of the food issues that I have now (just diabetes) or at least didn't
know of them. I ate just enough to take the edge off of my hunger. But my
daughter and the other, older kid that we had with us did not like the food.
I know people tend to think that all kids like spaghetti but these two did
not.

I figured we would stay for a couple of hours then leave and we could get
some food either on the way back to where we were staying or where we were
staying. We were just visiting. But... No! Dinner time rolled around.
Then about two hours after we would normally eat dinner, I put my foot down.
Said that the kids were hungry and restless and we needed to go eat.
McDonalds was giving out Polly Pockets which both girls collected so I
suggested going there. Now you know things are bad when I suggest
McDonalds.

Oh and I did look at the remaining food prior to this. Flies and fruit
flies buzzing all around. Melted butter. It was a very hot day and no AC
in this room where the food was. Plus the door was left open, hence the
flies. Most all of the warming flames had gone out but even on the trays
where they were still lit, the food didn't look very edible and the foil
pans didn't feel any warmer than the others or for that matter the air
around us. The remaining deviled eggs were weeping and the remaining salad
was limp.

A fit was pitched when I said that. Was told that there was food available
and we would just eat that. I did try to be polite about it at first. Said
that the kids were having a meltdown, literally and figuratively. We were
all sunburned and sweating after having sat on somewhat uncomfortable lawn
chairs all day under a canvas tent type thing with open sides to it. There
was nothing for us to do but chat and kids can only take so much chat! And
we were all very tired. We had about a 4-5 hour drive to get there and had
to leave super early in the morning in order to make it to the church
service.

But no! We were told there was plenty of food and to eat that. To which I
replied that the kids didn't really care for the food and wanted to go to
McDonalds. I then made the mistake of adding that I didn't really want to
eat it again and I didn't feel that it was safe to eat after having sat out
all day like that. Well... He flipped out then going to the host of the
party telling him that I didn't feel that his food was safe to eat and that
I wanted to go to McDonald's instead. The host then pulled and attitude and
insisted that the food was safe because it had those flames underneath. I
then muttered something like yes, but I was a vegetarian the only things
left were the eggs and salad which just didn't look so good. Very true as
they were not kept cold in any way. And I did mention that I had promised
prior to take the girls to McD's for the Polly Pockets.

The rest of that was rather a blur. A lot of screaming and yelling between
the two of them. I just slinked away. But we did wind up going to McD's.
I don't think I will ever live that down with that bunch though. And I
don't think any of them know much about food safety. The hostess is a
medical professional too! Many were the times that she tried to give us a
plate of leftovers like lamb chops to take home. Seeing as how our drive
home on a god day was 4-5 hours and I generally had no ice to put it on, I
always declined.

I just had a bit of a fight with myself yesterday and I know I will get
grief for posting this. Angela and I went to Target for a few groceries and
to see what if any after Christmas markdowns we might find. I had a
hankering for some hamburger gravy over mashed potatoes and I had a Target
coupon or perhaps it was a Cartwheel for a certain kind of ground beef. I
remember looking for the one that looked like what I had printed out. And
as she reached for it I said, "Don't get that brown one!" Yes, one package
at the front of the shelf had the most atrocious color. Almost looked it
had been lightly cooked! And this after I had less than a minute prior
pointed out to a passing clerk that there was some very moldy cheese on the
other side of the counter. But we were in a hurry by then to get home to
make dinner so I didn't even check the date. I did check the date on
everything else so... My really bad.

Got home to cook the meat and saw that it said, "Use by Dec. 25". At first
I was tempted to just go ahead and use it but... I have had two bouts of
stomach problems recently and did not want another. Plus it said "Use by"
and not "Sell by" or "Best by". And in looking it up online it seemed best
just to toss it. Had Target not been so far away I would have gone back to
exchange it but... It's probably 7-8 miles each way. So, out it went.
*sigh*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 23:17:51 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> Just out of college, I was a clerk for the Naval Architect of a large
> shipyard. He many times remarked, "So soon old, so late smart." Well.
> It's old here and we need to get smarter. Mr. Esther and I were guests at a
> potluck Christmas day. He's fine. I may/may not survive. Weak as a
> kitten, not that I ever saw a kitten who was anything but weak. Something
> in the food brought nearly killed me.
> Some of our grandchildren have the advantage of vulture digestions and
> could eat roadkill raw. We, with our fragile systems need to be more
> careful. I suspect what got me was a beautiful potato salad that my
> sweetheart didn't touch and I enjoyed for a very few hours.
> My question is this: If we live long enough to participate in another
> Potluck, would you arrive late and only eat what you bring that is safe?
> Arrive early and bring something and make a quick exit? Only eat crackers?
> Spare me the cranky-pants responses. I just don't feel up to them. Polly

I'd eat before I arrived and then stick to bread, raw vegetables and
salads that are dressed in something that don't spoil... and then
either stay and enjoy the party or make an excuse about being
old/tired/can't drive in the dark and leave as early as I could.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 23:17:51 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> > wrote:
>
>> Just out of college, I was a clerk for the Naval Architect of a large
>> shipyard. He many times remarked, "So soon old, so late smart." Well.
>> It's old here and we need to get smarter. Mr. Esther and I were guests
>> at a
>> potluck Christmas day. He's fine. I may/may not survive. Weak as a
>> kitten, not that I ever saw a kitten who was anything but weak.
>> Something
>> in the food brought nearly killed me.
>> Some of our grandchildren have the advantage of vulture digestions
>> and
>> could eat roadkill raw. We, with our fragile systems need to be more
>> careful. I suspect what got me was a beautiful potato salad that my
>> sweetheart didn't touch and I enjoyed for a very few hours.
>> My question is this: If we live long enough to participate in
>> another
>> Potluck, would you arrive late and only eat what you bring that is safe?
>> Arrive early and bring something and make a quick exit? Only eat
>> crackers?
>> Spare me the cranky-pants responses. I just don't feel up to them.
>> Polly

> I'd eat before I arrived and then stick to bread, raw vegetables and
> salads that are dressed in something that don't spoil... and then
> either stay and enjoy the party or make an excuse about being
> old/tired/can't drive in the dark and leave as early as I could.

Amen!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-27, Polly Esther > wrote:

> Potluck, would you arrive late and only eat what you bring that is safe?
> Arrive early and bring something and make a quick exit? Only eat crackers?

We still do weekly potlucks in the summer, up to 5-6 doz ppl
attending. Most everything is homemade and I've yet to run afowl of
bad food. The T-day potluck offered some kinda pickled vegetable,
which I was given the leftover jar. Very tasty, although looks
ghastly. I think it's cuz most are oldsters and still take pride in
their cooking skills.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 05:13:05 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Got home to cook the meat and saw that it said, "Use by Dec. 25". At first
>I was tempted to just go ahead and use it but... I have had two bouts of
>stomach problems recently and did not want another. Plus it said "Use by"
>and not "Sell by" or "Best by". And in looking it up online it seemed best
>just to toss it. Had Target not been so far away I would have gone back to
>exchange it but... It's probably 7-8 miles each way. So, out it went.
>*sigh*

What you should do when that happens is to put the meat in the freezer
and return it the next time you are at that store. Bring the receipt
to show the date you bought it.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/27/13 12:17 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
> .... He many times remarked, "So soon old, so late smart."

That was my German grandmother's favorite saying, too. Thank you for
reminding me of that.

> .... My question is this: If we live long enough to participate in
> another Potluck, would you arrive late and only eat what you bring that
> is safe? Arrive early and bring something and make a quick exit? Only
> eat crackers?

Of course, bring something -- that's required, no?

- Arrive early, so that you see when food arrives and know how long it
has been out.

- Eat early, while the food is fresh.

- No need to leave early; just don't eat anything after the first hour
or so.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 05:13:05 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Got home to cook the meat and saw that it said, "Use by Dec. 25". At
>>first
>>I was tempted to just go ahead and use it but... I have had two bouts of
>>stomach problems recently and did not want another. Plus it said "Use by"
>>and not "Sell by" or "Best by". And in looking it up online it seemed
>>best
>>just to toss it. Had Target not been so far away I would have gone back
>>exchange it but... It's probably 7-8 miles each way. So, out it went.
>>*sigh*

> What you should do when that happens is to put the meat in the freezer
> and return it the next time you are at that store. Bring the receipt
> to show the date you bought it.

I doubt that would work. I could have bought it prior and claimed I had
bought it that day. Frankly after the PIN compromise, them having less and
less sales of interest to me and all the hoops I have to jump through to get
the deals, I am losing interest in them. I did far better on grocery prices
today at Wince.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 22:22:54 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 05:13:05 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Got home to cook the meat and saw that it said, "Use by Dec. 25". At
>>>first
>>>I was tempted to just go ahead and use it but... I have had two bouts of
>>>stomach problems recently and did not want another. Plus it said "Use by"
>>>and not "Sell by" or "Best by". And in looking it up online it seemed
>>>best
>>>just to toss it. Had Target not been so far away I would have gone back
>>>exchange it but... It's probably 7-8 miles each way. So, out it went.
>>>*sigh*

>> What you should do when that happens is to put the meat in the freezer
>> and return it the next time you are at that store. Bring the receipt
>> to show the date you bought it.

>I doubt that would work. I could have bought it prior and claimed I had
>bought it that day. Frankly after the PIN compromise, them having less and
>less sales of interest to me and all the hoops I have to jump through to get
>the deals, I am losing interest in them. I did far better on grocery prices
>today at Wince.

I don't see what the problem is. The store receipt will show both the
date of purchase and the weight/dollar amount you paid for. How could
you have bought it before that and had the exact same amount of meat?

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 22:22:54 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 05:13:05 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>>> What you should do when that happens is to put the meat in the freezer
>>> and return it the next time you are at that store. Bring the receipt
>>> to show the date you bought it.

>>I doubt that would work. I could have bought it prior and claimed I had
>>bought it that day. Frankly after the PIN compromise, them having less
>>and
>>less sales of interest to me and all the hoops I have to jump through to
>>get
>>the deals, I am losing interest in them. I did far better on grocery
>>prices
>>today at Wince.

> I don't see what the problem is. The store receipt will show both the
> date of purchase and the weight/dollar amount you paid for. How could
> you have bought it before that and had the exact same amount of meat?

Yes. But I still could have purchased it prior. I have no more freezer
space now that I've shopped and I don't get out there that often. I used to
work at a store and we never would have taken back a frozen product. For
something like that we likely would have allowed it if the person called
that day and we could then verify the old product on the shelf. But things
weren't nearly as computerized in those days and I think we had a better
system for refunds than Target seems to. Most of the people in that store
are pretty clueless. I will just chalk this up to a live and learn. I do
know better!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 27, 2013 10:32:49 AM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Dec 2013 23:17:51 -0600, "Polly Esther"
>
> > wrote:
>

> > Just out of college, I was a clerk for the Naval Architect of a large

> > shipyard. He many times remarked, "So soon old, so late smart." Well.

> > It's old here and we need to get smarter. Mr. Esther and I were guests at a

> > potluck Christmas day. He's fine. I may/may not survive. Weak as a

> > kitten, not that I ever saw a kitten who was anything but weak. Something

> > in the food brought nearly killed me.

> > Some of our grandchildren have the advantage of vulture digestions and

> > could eat roadkill raw. We, with our fragile systems need to be more

> > careful. I suspect what got me was a beautiful potato salad that my

> > sweetheart didn't touch and I enjoyed for a very few hours.

> > My question is this: If we live long enough to participate in another

> > Potluck, would you arrive late and only eat what you bring that is safe?

> > Arrive early and bring something and make a quick exit? Only eat crackers?

> > Spare me the cranky-pants responses. I just don't feel up to them. Polly

> I'd eat before I arrived and then stick to bread, raw vegetables and
>
> salads that are dressed in something that don't spoil... and then
>
> either stay and enjoy the party or make an excuse about being
>
> old/tired/can't drive in the dark and leave as early as I could.
>

> --
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

How can one be sure someone hasn't coughed on the bread, veggies etc.? Just don't participate in potlucks, if you want a modicum of food safety. Same goes for restos - it's a matter of trust the minute you step thru their door. Same goes for eating at a private home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly,
You seem to feel guilty if you don't attend. Just stop going. Who's going to line you up at dawn?

I used to attend and contribute to a potluck once a week with a certain group. Eventually, I tired of bringing something, only to see others rush to the front of the line and grab the good stuff first, take seconds and thirds on desserts. The whole potluck thing imploded after a few years when others maybe started to feel like I did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-27 1:28 AM, Cheri wrote:

> I don't really care too much for potlucks anymore. I don't mind them as
> much if I know exactly who brought what, but otherwise I usually pass on
> them.

I like potlucks..... depending on the crowd. A friend of ours used to
have one every year and the food was great. There were all sorts of
interesting dished. OTOH, I have been to potlucks where there were a
bunch of cheapskates who brought the cheapest crap they could find.
Typically the people who brought the worst crap were the first to go for
the good stuff. I guess the trick is to be careful who you invite and
to be careful about the invitations you accept.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-27 12:17 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
> Just out of college, I was a clerk for the Naval Architect of a large
> shipyard. He many times remarked, "So soon old, so late smart." Well.
> It's old here and we need to get smarter. Mr. Esther and I were guests
> at a potluck Christmas day. He's fine. I may/may not survive. Weak as
> a kitten, not that I ever saw a kitten who was anything but weak.
> Something in the food brought nearly killed me.

Ouch. I had a bad dose of food poisoning once. I don't every want to be
that sick again. My wife was upset with me this morning because of
something I am refusing to eat. I had made a sort of burrito dish last
night. I had sauteed onions, a bit of garlic, ground meat, added cumin,
chili powder, dried chili flakes, cinnamon, some raisins, a bit of
tomato sauce and a dash of apple cider vinegar. I added a can of black
beans to it. It was really tasty.

She cleaned up the kitchen last night. When I went downstairs this
morning I found the leftovers in a plastic container sitting on the
counter. She thinks our kitchen temperature is cool enough that it
would be okay. She may have the constitution of a vulture, but I ain't
touching it. The dog might enjoy it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2013-12-27 1:28 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>

>> I don't really care too much for potlucks anymore. I don't mind them as
>> much if I know exactly who brought what, but otherwise I usually pass on
>> them.
>>

> I like potlucks..... depending on the crowd. A friend of ours used to
> have one every year and the food was great. There were all sorts of
> interesting dished. OTOH, I have been to potlucks where there were a
> bunch of cheapskates who brought the cheapest crap they could find.
> Typically the people who brought the worst crap were the first to go for
> the good stuff. I guess the trick is to be careful who you invite and to
> be careful about the invitations you accept.

I don't think I've ever been to a potluck with really good food although I
have been told that my food was good. I made Ravioli, salmon sandwiches,
Chinese Tomato Beef and once brought caviar.

Usually it is a bunch of store bought cookies and cakes, gloppy casseroles
and chips.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2013-12-27 12:17 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
>> Just out of college, I was a clerk for the Naval Architect of a large
>> shipyard. He many times remarked, "So soon old, so late smart." Well.
>> It's old here and we need to get smarter. Mr. Esther and I were guests
>> at a potluck Christmas day. He's fine. I may/may not survive. Weak as
>> a kitten, not that I ever saw a kitten who was anything but weak.
>> Something in the food brought nearly killed me.

> Ouch. I had a bad dose of food poisoning once. I don't every want to be
> that sick again. My wife was upset with me this morning because of
> something I am refusing to eat. I had made a sort of burrito dish last
> night. I had sauteed onions, a bit of garlic, ground meat, added cumin,
> chili powder, dried chili flakes, cinnamon, some raisins, a bit of tomato
> sauce and a dash of apple cider vinegar. I added a can of black beans to
> it. It was really tasty.
>
> She cleaned up the kitchen last night. When I went downstairs this morning
> I found the leftovers in a plastic container sitting on the counter. She
> thinks our kitchen temperature is cool enough that it would be okay. She
> may have the constitution of a vulture, but I ain't touching it. The dog
> might enjoy it.

Onions can kill a dog.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 2013-12-27 12:17 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
>>> Just out of college, I was a clerk for the Naval Architect of a large
>>> shipyard. He many times remarked, "So soon old, so late smart." Well.
>>> It's old here and we need to get smarter. Mr. Esther and I were guests
>>> at a potluck Christmas day. He's fine. I may/may not survive. Weak as
>>> a kitten, not that I ever saw a kitten who was anything but weak.
>>> Something in the food brought nearly killed me.

>> Ouch. I had a bad dose of food poisoning once. I don't every want to be
>> that sick again. My wife was upset with me this morning because of
>> something I am refusing to eat. I had made a sort of burrito dish last
>> night. I had sauteed onions, a bit of garlic, ground meat, added cumin,
>> chili powder, dried chili flakes, cinnamon, some raisins, a bit of tomato
>> sauce and a dash of apple cider vinegar. I added a can of black beans to
>> it. It was really tasty.
>>
>> She cleaned up the kitchen last night. When I went downstairs this
>> morning I found the leftovers in a plastic container sitting on the
>> counter. She thinks our kitchen temperature is cool enough that it would
>> be okay. She may have the constitution of a vulture, but I ain't touching
>> it. The dog might enjoy it.

> Onions can kill a dog.

Yes!
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 29, 2013 4:07:01 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> Ouch. I had a bad dose of food poisoning once. I don't every want to be
>
> that sick again. My wife was upset with me this morning because of
>
> something I am refusing to eat. I had made a sort of burrito dish last
>
> night. I had sauteed onions, a bit of garlic, ground meat, added cumin,
>
> chili powder, dried chili flakes, cinnamon, some raisins, a bit of
>
> tomato sauce and a dash of apple cider vinegar. I added a can of black
>
> beans to it. It was really tasty.
>

> She cleaned up the kitchen last night. When I went downstairs this
>
> morning I found the leftovers in a plastic container sitting on the
>
> counter. She thinks our kitchen temperature is cool enough that it
>
> would be okay. She may have the constitution of a vulture, but I ain't
>
> touching it. The dog might enjoy it.

No one other than me is going to eat dinner leftovers anyway, so I almost never refrigerate. I *do* seemingly "have the constitution of a vulture."

I'd make an exception for sashimi.

--B

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly Esther[_2_] View Post
[...]
The Seasoned Citizen pot lucks are supposed to be the most hazardous.