Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stuffed peppers

I made an ersatz stuffed poblano pepper the other night from one that
was past its prime in the fridge; I cut out the stem and seeds, and
stuffed the cavity with cooked rice, chopped onion, a pinch of cumin,
grated cheese, and enough of that cheddar cheese sauce from a huge can
(like for making nachos) to bind it all together. Then I microwaved it
for 10 minutes on low power. I didn't expect much, but it was
surprisingly good.

So I bought a couple more poblanos today and am going to try it again.
Stuffed peppers bell peppers are not part of my repertoire, but from the
recipes I've read they generally cook for a lot longer than this and in
a conventional oven. The filling in mine was cooked but the pepper was
still a little undercooked.

So should I parboil the peppers before I cap them? Or should I bake
them (after stuffing) in a real oven? Or just call what I have a success?

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 17:22:31 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>I made an ersatz stuffed poblano pepper the other night from one that
>was past its prime in the fridge; I cut out the stem and seeds, and
>stuffed the cavity with cooked rice, chopped onion, a pinch of cumin,
>grated cheese, and enough of that cheddar cheese sauce from a huge can
>(like for making nachos) to bind it all together. Then I microwaved it
>for 10 minutes on low power. I didn't expect much, but it was
>surprisingly good.
>
>So I bought a couple more poblanos today and am going to try it again.
>Stuffed peppers bell peppers are not part of my repertoire, but from the
>recipes I've read they generally cook for a lot longer than this and in
>a conventional oven. The filling in mine was cooked but the pepper was
>still a little undercooked.
>
>So should I parboil the peppers before I cap them? Or should I bake
>them (after stuffing) in a real oven? Or just call what I have a success?
>
>Bob

There is an interesting recipe at
http://www.chow.com/recipes/29565-ch...rellenos/print

I haven't made them yet but it looks like what I expect them to be.
And a sneaky way to stuff them.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I made an ersatz stuffed poblano pepper the other night from one that
> was past its prime in the fridge; I cut out the stem and seeds, and
> stuffed the cavity with cooked rice, chopped onion, a pinch of cumin,
> grated cheese, and enough of that cheddar cheese sauce from a huge can
> (like for making nachos) to bind it all together. Then I microwaved it
> for 10 minutes on low power. I didn't expect much, but it was
> surprisingly good.
>
> So I bought a couple more poblanos today and am going to try it again.
> Stuffed peppers bell peppers are not part of my repertoire, but from the
> recipes I've read they generally cook for a lot longer than this and in
> a conventional oven. The filling in mine was cooked but the pepper was
> still a little undercooked.
>
> So should I parboil the peppers before I cap them? Or should I bake
> them (after stuffing) in a real oven? Or just call what I have a success?
>
> Bob

I bake them post-stuffing until they are nicely cooked. I make sure I
don't overcook the rice initially so it doesn't turn to mush during the
bake and I ensure the filling is moist enough that it doesn't dry out as
the rice absorbs more liquid. This also helps get the other flavors from
the stuffing into the rice itself. I usually have some meat in the mix
and use shredded and grated cheese rather than sauce, but most anything
goes in stuffed peppers and they are always good.

Stuffed Peppers Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 25-04-2006 04:58 AM
Stuffed Peppers Duckie ® Recipes 0 06-03-2005 05:08 AM
Stuffed Peppers Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 24-08-2004 03:13 AM
Stuffed Peppers pat Recipes (moderated) 0 21-08-2004 02:14 AM