Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Throwing old cooking magazines away?

There's always a reason to hang on to an old issue - want a recipe,
don't want to type it out. Finding it online is a hassle, but I can
usually find what I'm looking for at the My Recipes website. I also
discovered that Cooking Light has their recipes indexed by issue, so
that's another route for you to be able to keep your up and coming New
Year's resolution.

example
http://www.cookinglight.com/food/rec...0412000073912/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, December 20, 2013 10:54:17 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> There's always a reason to hang on to an old issue - want a recipe,
>
> don't want to type it out. Finding it online is a hassle, but I can
>
> usually find what I'm looking for at the My Recipes website. I also
>
> discovered that Cooking Light has their recipes indexed by issue, so
>
> that's another route for you to be able to keep your up and coming New
>
> Year's resolution.
>

> example
>
> http://www.cookinglight.com/food/rec...0412000073912/
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

===
Rather than keep a bunch of magazines or papers with recipes, I just
OCR them and enter the text into my word processor program and
save that doc. to my recipe file. Works like a charm and there
is less clutter.

"FREE OCR" works good for me...pretty neat for a free program.

===

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> There's always a reason to hang on to an old issue - want a recipe,
> don't want to type it out. Finding it online is a hassle, but I can
> usually find what I'm looking for at the My Recipes website. I also
> discovered that Cooking Light has their recipes indexed by issue, so
> that's another route for you to be able to keep your up and coming New
> Year's resolution.
>
> example
> http://www.cookinglight.com/food/rec...0412000073912/

I rarely ever keep an old magazine. I had a severe magazine problem for a
while. Not only was Angela selling them for school but so were my nieces
and nephew. I wound up buying things that I didn't really want, only
because I wanted to help them but they were not selling things that I
wanted. They just kept building up and building up and I never reached the
level of boredom needed to read them. I wound up filling the recycle bin
with unread magazines.

These days I only buy that which I know I will read. But I have a whole
slew of free ones that I subscribe to! I don't know how this came about but
some company keeps offering me free ones. Not all are of interest and some
I simply don't take them up on like the hunting and fishing ones. But... A
person I know has asked for my old magazines. She and her husband read them
and she then passes them along to someone else. So I started getting some
that I am not interested in but men might be. I did subscribe to Savuer
only because I couldn't find it for sale at the stores I normally shop at.
But I think that one ran out.

By and large I have found any recipe I ever need on the Internet. Even ones
that I have in old cookbooks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:

>I rarely ever keep an old magazine. I had a severe magazine problem for a
>while. Not only was Angela selling them for school but so were my nieces
>and nephew. I wound up buying things that I didn't really want, only
>because I wanted to help them but they were not selling things that I
>wanted. They just kept building up and building up and I never reached the
>level of boredom needed to read them. I wound up filling the recycle bin
>with unread magazines.

These days most all magazines feature on line subscriptions...
excellent for not having all that paper at home, you can search by
topic, etc., and a subscriber has access to the archives. And you can
bookmark and/or print the articles you choose.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>
>>I rarely ever keep an old magazine. I had a severe magazine problem for a
>>while. Not only was Angela selling them for school but so were my nieces
>>and nephew. I wound up buying things that I didn't really want, only
>>because I wanted to help them but they were not selling things that I
>>wanted. They just kept building up and building up and I never reached
>>the
>>level of boredom needed to read them. I wound up filling the recycle bin
>>with unread magazines.

> These days most all magazines feature on line subscriptions...
> excellent for not having all that paper at home, you can search by
> topic, etc., and a subscriber has access to the archives. And you can
> bookmark and/or print the articles you choose.

Yes but I tend to read magazines only when I am out somewhere or in the
bathroom and seeing as how my computer is a desktop, I'm not going to lug it
around looking for Wifi. Yes, I have an Ipad but I don't usually take that
with me either.