Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Egg-problem

That's the last time I make an omelet!
How to avoid this? (And I thought it was a non-tick pan!)

http://s10.imagestime.com/out.php/i906949_image.jp

Thanks for any advice!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Anjul > wrote:
>That's the last time I make an omelet!
>How to avoid this? (And I thought it was a non-tick pan!)

Add butter to the pan before cooking.

Non-stick pans aren't magical, and yours is scratched.

And use less heat.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 17, 2013 7:02:05 AM UTC-8, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> In article >,
>
> Anjul > wrote:
>
> >That's the last time I make an omelet!

> >How to avoid this? (And I thought it was a non-tick pan!)

Just made an omelet for breakfast, so thought I would weigh in.

> Add butter to the pan before cooking.

People do use oil, esp. olive oil. Although I always use either butter
or bacon grease.

> Non-stick pans aren't magical, and yours is scratched.

I wonder if he has the appropriate non-metallic egg turner. Metal
utensils are the biggest cause of scratched surfaces IME.

> And use less heat.

Right, from the browning. But dirty fats can also cause browning, IME.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2013 10:02 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> In article >,
> Anjul > wrote:
>> That's the last time I make an omelet!
>> How to avoid this? (And I thought it was a non-tick pan!)

> Add butter to the pan before cooking.

Absolutely! Or a drizzle of oil if you're one of those folks who is
paranoid about butter.

> Non-stick pans aren't magical, and yours is scratched.

Non-stick pans still need a little something. And the proper non-metal
utensils.

> And use less heat.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Agreed. Omelets should be cooked low and slow. If you're in a rush
make scrambled eggs instead. Still needs some fat.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 05:06:35 -0800 (PST), Anjul >
wrote:

> That's the last time I make an omelet!
> How to avoid this? (And I thought it was a non-tick pan!)
>
> http://s10.imagestime.com/out.php/i906949_image.jp
>
> Thanks for any advice!

To begin with, don't use a ceramic pan - throw that POS away.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2013 3:11 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 05:06:35 -0800 (PST), Anjul >
> wrote:
>
>> That's the last time I make an omelet!
>> How to avoid this? (And I thought it was a non-tick pan!)
>>
>> http://s10.imagestime.com/out.php/i906949_image.jp
>>
>> Thanks for any advice!

> To begin with, don't use a ceramic pan - throw that POS away.

I think that non-stick pans only work with eggs and no grease when the
pans are new. Even tho I've used plastic implements, my "non-stick"
skillet needs a misting of olive oil to release an egg properly.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Anjul" > wrote in message
> That's the last time I make an omelet!
> How to avoid this? (And I thought it was a non-tick pan!)
>
> http://s10.imagestime.com/out.php/i906949_image.jp
>
> Thanks for any advice!

For starters, your pan looks pretty old and scratched up. Did you use too
high of a heat? Most non-stick pans have to be used on medium to low heat.
Did you use any oil in the pan? Pan spray? Pan spray will ruin a non-stick
pan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 15:41:45 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 12/17/2013 3:11 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 05:06:35 -0800 (PST), Anjul >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> That's the last time I make an omelet!
> >> How to avoid this? (And I thought it was a non-tick pan!)
> >>
> >> http://s10.imagestime.com/out.php/i906949_image.jp
> >>
> >> Thanks for any advice!

> > To begin with, don't use a ceramic pan - throw that POS away.
> >

> I think that non-stick pans only work with eggs and no grease when the
> pans are new. Even tho I've used plastic implements, my "non-stick"
> skillet needs a misting of olive oil to release an egg properly.

I bought an "Orgreenic" brand (ceramic) pan when I needed a new
non-stick and it was good for only one or two uses before it started
to stick. Lubrication wasn't the issue... It's the material. I took
it back and ended up with a double package (10" & 8") nonstick "All
Clad" saute pans. I put it in quotes, because it's stamped All Clad -
but real All Clad is made in the USA and has a distinctive handle.
These do not have the USA All Clad handle, so I know it was probably
made in China. After 6 months, they are great performing pans (which
are used on a daily basis) - so it could be worse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 15:41:45 -0500, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> On 12/17/2013 3:11 PM, sf wrote:

>> > To begin with, don't use a ceramic pan - throw that POS away.
>> >

>> I think that non-stick pans only work with eggs and no grease when the
>> pans are new. Even tho I've used plastic implements, my "non-stick"
>> skillet needs a misting of olive oil to release an egg properly.

> I bought an "Orgreenic" brand (ceramic) pan when I needed a new
> non-stick and it was good for only one or two uses before it started
> to stick. Lubrication wasn't the issue... It's the material. I took
> it back and ended up with a double package (10" & 8") nonstick "All
> Clad" saute pans. I put it in quotes, because it's stamped All Clad -
> but real All Clad is made in the USA and has a distinctive handle.
> These do not have the USA All Clad handle, so I know it was probably
> made in China. After 6 months, they are great performing pans (which
> are used on a daily basis) - so it could be worse.

Yeah. Mine was fine the first time. After that? No.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/17/2013 11:08 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 15:02:05 GMT, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Anjul > wrote:
>>> That's the last time I make an omelet!
>>> How to avoid this? (And I thought it was a non-tick pan!)

>> Add butter to the pan before cooking.
>>
>> Non-stick pans aren't magical, and yours is scratched.
>>
>> And use less heat.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Troll. C'mon people!
>
> -sw

Shut up, bully.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thank you very much! No idea why, but I thought I shoud let the pan's temperature become very high before put the eggs!
No, I'm not afraid of butter, but I tought a non-stick pun just worked properly.!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Dec 2013 05:26:48 -0800 (PST), Anjul >
wrote:

> Thank you very much! No idea why, but I thought I shoud let the pan's temperature become very high before put the eggs!

A cast iron pan should be screaming hot before you add meat to sear
it, but not that hot for eggs. Non-stick pans work differently (as
does stainless steel). Use less heat and it will behave - but please
treat yourself to a new pan first and some non-metal utensils (nylon
is good) so you won't scratch the new one so quickly. Remember,
non-stick wears out, no matter if you spend a lot or a little. It
just does. I figure 2 years is about it and if I eke out a bit more
time, lucky me. I bought my newest non-stick pans from Bed Bath and
Beyond. They appear to be wearing very well, so I am recommending
them. While you're there, pick up a set of their silicone spatulas.
You won't find a better price elsewhere and, IMO, they make an
inexpensive stocking stuffer for adults. Don't forget to bring your
20% off coupons with you!

pans
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/...-pans-set.html
spatulas
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...icone+spatulas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Anjul wrote:

> Thank you very much! No idea why, but I thought I shoud let the pan's temperature become very high before put the eggs!
> No, I'm not afraid of butter, but I tought a non-stick pun just worked properly.!

For fried eggs or omlets, melt butter in the pan on medium heat,
definitely not high.

G.

Looks like the Sriracha problem wasn't a problem after all. ImStillMags General Cooking 1 16-07-2014 11:39 PM
a bit of a w problem Ruddell General Cooking 24 03-02-2006 03:49 PM
Problem: Help! Matthew Givens Winemaking 8 24-07-2005 06:30 AM
Pie Problem Renee General Cooking 1 10-06-2005 11:35 PM
MLF Problem.... Bruce Winemaking 1 03-11-2003 08:30 AM