Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are some microwaves better for popcorn?

I tried the lemon popcorn again and although the end result tastes
wonderful, there was a problem. I had to stop the popping because I could
smell it starting to scorch. Only a few kernels got that way and overall
there is no scorched taste. But because of this, about half of the kernels
didn't pop. So, grrr...

On the plus side, I still have most of the packet of seasoning #2 (the lemon
and salt) so I can use it another time on my own popcorn. And I will for
sure try to come up with this seasoning on my own. But this is exactly the
flavor that I wanted. I only used the tiniest bit of the oil this time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 7:14:28 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> I tried the lemon popcorn again and although the end result tastes
>
> wonderful, there was a problem. I had to stop the popping because I could
>
> smell it starting to scorch. Only a few kernels got that way and overall
>
> there is no scorched taste. But because of this, about half of the kernels
>
> didn't pop. So, grrr...
>

> On the plus side, I still have most of the packet of seasoning #2 (the lemon
>
> and salt) so I can use it another time on my own popcorn. And I will for
>
> sure try to come up with this seasoning on my own. But this is exactly the
>
> flavor that I wanted. I only used the tiniest bit of the oil this time.

I've never popped in a Microwave. I purchase kernels and put em in my cast iron pan along with some oil/butter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 10:19:27 AM UTC-6, Janet Wilder wrote:

> That's why it's a good idea to use the "popcorn" button. My microwave
>
> is pretty high wattage, but it has a sensor and does popcorn perfectly
>
> using that button.

Mine, too. Perfect results every time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:18:03 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Since this doesn't sound like a packet of
> microwave popcorn, I'd just cook it in a pan with a lid on the stove
> top. Shake, shake, shake, pop pop pop.

You don't even need to shake if you have decent heavy pots and pans.
That's what my original style Calpholon is wonderful for. Put the
popcorn in, cover, and don't touch the pan again until the popping
stops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 12:14 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:18:03 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Since this doesn't sound like a packet of
>> microwave popcorn, I'd just cook it in a pan with a lid on the stove
>> top. Shake, shake, shake, pop pop pop.

> You don't even need to shake if you have decent heavy pots and pans.
> That's what my original style Calpholon is wonderful for. Put the
> popcorn in, cover, and don't touch the pan again until the popping
> stops.

Shaking the pan and hearing it pop was half the fun!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 12:12 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 04:14:28 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I tried the lemon popcorn again and although the end result tastes
>> wonderful, there was a problem. I had to stop the popping because I could
>> smell it starting to scorch. Only a few kernels got that way and overall
>> there is no scorched taste. But because of this, about half of the kernels
>> didn't pop. So, grrr...
>>
>> On the plus side, I still have most of the packet of seasoning #2 (the lemon
>> and salt) so I can use it another time on my own popcorn. And I will for
>> sure try to come up with this seasoning on my own. But this is exactly the
>> flavor that I wanted.

> Here was your problem:
>
>> I only used the tiniest bit of the oil this time.

> Again, If you'd just follow the instructions like normal people you
> wouldn't have all these problems. And then have to speculate about
> what is going wrong.
>
> -sw

Not to worry. It will have an expiration date.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 1:05 PM, wrote:
> Mine doesn't say but I can lower the power or set it to just defrost.
> Don't do popcorn, it's one of the reasons I don't go to movies, can't
> stand the smell

Are you sure it's not because the movies suck?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 6:14:28 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> I tried the lemon popcorn again and although the end result tastes
>
> wonderful, there was a problem. I had to stop the popping because I could
>
> smell it starting to scorch. Only a few kernels got that way and overall
>
> there is no scorched taste. But because of this, about half of the kernels
>
> didn't pop. So, grrr...
>

> On the plus side, I still have most of the packet of seasoning #2 (the lemon
>
> and salt) so I can use it another time on my own popcorn. And I will for
>
> sure try to come up with this seasoning on my own. But this is exactly the
>
> flavor that I wanted. I only used the tiniest bit of the oil this time.

You don't make popcorn in a microwave, you dumb bitch. Popcorn is made in a pan on the stove. Why are you here? You are stupid, you hate food, you can't cook, and you just suck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:12:35 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 04:14:28 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>

> Here was your problem:
>

> > I only used the tiniest bit of the oil this time.

> Again, If you'd just follow the instructions like normal people you
>
> wouldn't have all these problems. And then have to speculate about
>
> what is going wrong.

^5!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 12:48:44 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Sunday, December 15, 2013 6:14:28 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > I tried the lemon popcorn again and although the end result tastes

> > wonderful, there was a problem. I had to stop the popping because I could

> > smell it starting to scorch. Only a few kernels got that way and overall

> > there is no scorched taste. But because of this, about half of the kernels

> > didn't pop. So, grrr...

> > On the plus side, I still have most of the packet of seasoning #2 (the lemon

> > and salt) so I can use it another time on my own popcorn. And I will for

> > sure try to come up with this seasoning on my own. But this is exactly the

> > flavor that I wanted. I only used the tiniest bit of the oil this time.

> You don't make popcorn in a microwave, you dumb bitch. Popcorn is made in a pan on the stove. Why are you here? You are stupid, you hate food, you can't cook, and you just suck.

While that's all true, no one even knows if you cook at all because you
never post about cooking, so "Why are you here?"

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 04:14:28 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I tried the lemon popcorn again and although the end result tastes
>>wonderful, there was a problem. I had to stop the popping because I could
>>smell it starting to scorch. Only a few kernels got that way and overall
>>there is no scorched taste. But because of this, about half of the
>>kernels
>>didn't pop. So, grrr...
>>
>>On the plus side, I still have most of the packet of seasoning #2 (the
>>lemon
>>and salt) so I can use it another time on my own popcorn. And I will for
>>sure try to come up with this seasoning on my own. But this is exactly
>>the
>>flavor that I wanted. I only used the tiniest bit of the oil this time.

> They vary by wattage mostly, and/or have a turn table. The larger
> nukers tend to be more watts and take less time to achieve the same
> task.

I do know that. It's just that the instructions said the popcorn was done
when the popping was down to one second between pops. Mine hadn't gotten to
that stage and it was all scorched. So the second time, I stopped it when I
smelled the scorching (was not even close to the alloted time) and only half
popped.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 15, 2013 7:14:28 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I tried the lemon popcorn again and although the end result tastes
>>
>> wonderful, there was a problem. I had to stop the popping because I
>> could
>>
>> smell it starting to scorch. Only a few kernels got that way and overall
>>
>> there is no scorched taste. But because of this, about half of the
>> kernels
>>
>> didn't pop. So, grrr...
>>

>> On the plus side, I still have most of the packet of seasoning #2 (the
>> lemon
>>
>> and salt) so I can use it another time on my own popcorn. And I will for
>>
>> sure try to come up with this seasoning on my own. But this is exactly
>> the
>>
>> flavor that I wanted. I only used the tiniest bit of the oil this time.

> I've never popped in a Microwave. I purchase kernels and put em in my
> cast iron pan along with some oil/butter.

I normally pan pop too but this is a flavored popcorn that I wanted to try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:18:03 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Since this doesn't sound like a packet of
>> microwave popcorn, I'd just cook it in a pan with a lid on the stove
>> top. Shake, shake, shake, pop pop pop.

> You don't even need to shake if you have decent heavy pots and pans.
> That's what my original style Calpholon is wonderful for. Put the
> popcorn in, cover, and don't touch the pan again until the popping
> stops.

I never shake mine either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 04:14:28 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I tried the lemon popcorn again and although the end result tastes
>> wonderful, there was a problem. I had to stop the popping because I
>> could
>> smell it starting to scorch. Only a few kernels got that way and overall
>> there is no scorched taste. But because of this, about half of the
>> kernels
>> didn't pop. So, grrr...
>>
>> On the plus side, I still have most of the packet of seasoning #2 (the
>> lemon
>> and salt) so I can use it another time on my own popcorn. And I will for
>> sure try to come up with this seasoning on my own. But this is exactly
>> the
>> flavor that I wanted.

> Here was your problem:
>
>> I only used the tiniest bit of the oil this time.

No. The oil is put on after it is popped.

> Again, If you'd just follow the instructions like normal people you
> wouldn't have all these problems. And then have to speculate about
> what is going wrong.

I did! Said it could take up to three minutes to pop. But to stop the
popping when it gets down to one second between pops. But mine wasn't even
to that point yet and it it was all scorched. The second time, it began to
scorch even sooner. I stopped the popping so damage to only maybe three
kernels but about half was unpopped.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 5:03:21 PM UTC-5, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Sunday, December 15, 2013 12:48:44 PM UTC-6, wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, December 15, 2013 6:14:28 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> > > I tried the lemon popcorn again and although the end result tastes

> > > wonderful, there was a problem. I had to stop the popping because I could

> > > smell it starting to scorch. Only a few kernels got that way and overall

> > > there is no scorched taste. But because of this, about half of the kernels

> > > didn't pop. So, grrr...

> > > On the plus side, I still have most of the packet of seasoning #2 (the lemon

> > > and salt) so I can use it another time on my own popcorn. And I will for

> > > sure try to come up with this seasoning on my own. But this is exactly the

> > > flavor that I wanted. I only used the tiniest bit of the oil this time.

> > You don't make popcorn in a microwave, you dumb bitch. Popcorn is made in a pan on the stove. Why are you here? You are stupid, you hate food, you can't cook, and you just suck.

> While that's all true, no one even knows if you cook at all because you
>
> never post about cooking, so "Why are you here?"
>

> --B

She's here because I think she ****s like a mink. So good baby. So good bun buns.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 2:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I tried the lemon popcorn again and although the end result tastes
> wonderful, there was a problem. I had to stop the popping because I
> could smell it starting to scorch. Only a few kernels got that way and
> overall there is no scorched taste. But because of this, about half of
> the kernels didn't pop. So, grrr...
>
> On the plus side, I still have most of the packet of seasoning #2 (the
> lemon and salt) so I can use it another time on my own popcorn. And I
> will for sure try to come up with this seasoning on my own. But this is
> exactly the flavor that I wanted. I only used the tiniest bit of the
> oil this time.

Some microwaves are better because they're higher wattage. Always use
the highest power level available. It takes some practice to know when
to turn off the power. Scorched popcorn is a common problem. Just take
it out earlier. The frequency of the pops will tell you when the time is
right. The most important rule is do not try to pop all the kernels.
Follow this rule and you will be a master of the microwaving of the
popcorn.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:25:44 PM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Sunday, December 15, 2013 5:03:21 PM UTC-5, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, December 15, 2013 12:48:44 PM UTC-6, wrote:

> > > You don't make popcorn in a microwave, you dumb bitch. Popcorn is made in a pan on the stove. Why are you here? You are stupid, you hate food, you can't cook, and you just suck.

> > While that's all true, no one even knows if you cook at all because you

> > never post about cooking, so "Why are you here?"

> > --B

> She's here because I think she ****s like a mink. So good baby. So good bun buns.

Then why isn't she posting to alt.sex.****s-like-a-mink?

--B

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 10:18:39 PM UTC-5, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:25:44 PM UTC-6, A Moose in Love wrote:

> > > While that's all true, no one even knows if you cook at all because you

> > > never post about cooking, so "Why are you here?"

> > > --B

> > She's here because I think she ****s like a mink. So good baby. So good bun buns.

> Then why isn't she posting to alt.sex.****s-like-a-mink?
>

> --B

In reality, she's a junkie. And not only that, she prolly uses crack. Women tend to go downhill pretty fast when using hard dope. The crack gives them brain damage, and they get all jerky. It's ugly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 8:03 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Try placing the bag in the microwave slightly off center.

Try realizing NO one thinks you are worth dog spit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 8:04 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> You neglected to tell us it also comes with stove-top instructions.
>
> -sw

You are one sick attention whore.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 15:18:39 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I normally pan pop too but this is a flavored popcorn that I wanted to
>> try.

> You neglected to tell us it also comes with stove-top instructions.

It does? I didn't see that. But why would they bother to do that if the
corn is sealed in a microwavable bag?

Hmmm... I does! So I will do it that way next time. But Ima still going
to try to make my own seasonings.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 7:25 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> I think she ****s like a mink.

Yer a nazi:

"Marines? My father was 20 times better. He was a Waffen SS man, and
operated an MG42 on the Soviet front."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 7:24 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> So good baby. So good bun buns.

Nazi:

"Marines? My father was 20 times better. He was a Waffen SS man, and
operated an MG42 on the Soviet front."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 15:24:30 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Here was your problem:

>> No. The oil is put on after it is popped.

> That's kinda odd.
>
> OK, then you have a shitty microwave that doesn't distribute the
> microwaves very evenly. That's what you get when you buy a microwave
> for its color rather than its functionality.
>
>>> Again, If you'd just follow the instructions like normal people you
>>> wouldn't have all these problems. And then have to speculate about
>>> what is going wrong.

>> I did! Said it could take up to three minutes to pop. But to stop the
>> popping when it gets down to one second between pops. But mine wasn't
>> even
>> to that point yet and it it was all scorched. The second time, it began
>> scorch even sooner. I stopped the popping so damage to only maybe three
>> kernels but about half was unpopped.

> Try placing the bag in the microwave slightly off center. Of course
> once it starts to expand it will probably re-center itself.
>
> Of course the logical thing to do would be to use the alternate
> stovetop instructions. As it says:
>
> "This is also a good option if your microwave doesnąt get along with
> our popcorn!"
>
> http://www.quinnpopcorn.com/popcorn/stove-instructions/

I will do that. Thanks! I guess I was just so excited to eat it that I
didn't notice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
. 190.14...
> On Sun 15 Dec 2013 05:14:28a, Julie Bove told us...
>
>> I tried the lemon popcorn again and although the end result tastes
>> wonderful, there was a problem. I had to stop the popping because
>> I could smell it starting to scorch. Only a few kernels got that
>> way and overall there is no scorched taste. But because of this,
>> about half of the kernels didn't pop. So, grrr...
>>
>> On the plus side, I still have most of the packet of seasoning #2
>> (the lemon and salt) so I can use it another time on my own
>> popcorn. And I will for sure try to come up with this seasoning
>> on my own. But this is exactly the flavor that I wanted. I only
>> used the tiniest bit of the oil this time.
>>

> Yes, some microwaves are absolutely better for popcorn. The higher the
> wattage, the faster and more completely it pops. We have two
> microwaves. The smaller countertop model has 1350 watts of power, and
> popcorn bare takes 2 minutes to pop, as well as popping all but 2 or 3
> kernals.
>
> The average home microwave is 1000 or 1100 watts, and some or less
> powerful. You may notice on many microwave packaged food items that
> the recommended cookin time is based on 1100 watts, otherwise you need
> to adjust the time.
>
> Unfortunate, popcorn suffers from lower power in the M/W.

Ah... Mine is 900 watts. My mom has a really large so I presume that it
has higher watts. Hers didn't scorch but neither did it all pop. An online
review at Amazon had some (but not a lot) of other people with the same
complaints that I had. They also said it was very inconsistent. Once in a
while they would have good luck with a bag but mainly not. Also saw that
one woman bought the powdered lemon to make her own. But she didn't say if
it came out right or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 8:18 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> Then why isn't she posting to alt.sex.****s-like-a-mink?
>
> --B

Because you locked your regular group down?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 3:03 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> While that's all true, no one even knows if you cook at all because you
> never post about cooking, so "Why are you here?"
>
> --B

Same reason you spout gross sexual innuendo here?