Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default bouillabaisse for one

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:21:54 AM UTC-6, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:56:32 -0500, Nancy Young
>
> > wrote:
>

> > On 12/15/2013 9:27 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> > > True, but as I mentioned to Dave, picking the meat out of mussel shells

> > > from a bowl of soup also sounds terribly messy.

> > I don't eat mussels, but Ron used to order them at this place

> > that's long gone now. Came in a big bowl. He'd eat the mussels

> > and I'd have bread dipped in the sherry garlic sauce.

> > Wasn't messy though it might sound that way.

> > Recently he bought a reasonable substitute for that dish at

> > Costco. Not bad at all. Not as good as at that restaurant but

> > he said he liked the mussels.

> I like mussels... they taste kind of like clams, only sweeter.

Thanks for the brainfart tutorial, ****wad.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:47:49 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:45:25 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>

> > On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:27:17 -0500, jmcquown >

> > wrote:

> >>True, but as I mentioned to Dave, picking the meat out of mussel shells

> >>from a bowl of soup also sounds terribly messy.

> > So then you've never actually eaten mussels... eating mussels is

> > no more messy than eating shrimp or chicken... in fact eating mussles

> > is not messy at all, the shells pop open and the meat practically

> > falls out on its own... you don't need to touch them other than with

> > your fork... you do use silverware?

> Uh, you still have to pry them away from the adductor, which usually
>
> requires some stable leverage by holding the shell lightly.
>

> So pick the meat out before serving if it icks you out to do at the
>
> dinner table.

Do you mean the abductor?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 11:50:53 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/15/2013 12:41 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 12:36:38 -0500, jmcquown >

> > wrote:

> >> Hmmmm. I never found eating spaghetti particularly messy.

> > If you don't think eating spaghetti is messy, then eating mussels will

> > be a walk in the park.

> I guess I just know how to twirl a small amount of spaghetti. I've
>
> already said I've eaten mussels. Just not mussels as in bouillabaisse.

Says the **** with no gag reflex. You ****ing slut. LOL!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 12:59 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/15/2013 12:47 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:45:25 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> So then you've never actually eaten mussels... eating mussels is
>>> no more messy than eating shrimp or chicken... in fact eating mussles
>>> is not messy at all, the shells pop open and the meat practically
>>> falls out on its own... you don't need to touch them other than with
>>> your fork... you do use silverware?

>> Uh, you still have to pry them away from the adductor, which usually
>> requires some stable leverage by holding the shell lightly.
>>

> All I was saying is I don't like the idea of picking shellfish out of
> hot soup to get to the meat from the bivalve.
>
>> So pick the meat out before serving if it icks you out to do at the
>> dinner table.

I've eaten mussels using chopsticks quite successfully but I think a
spoon and fork is easier. That's mostly based on having mussels in a
spicy sauce at a Vietnamese place.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 1:26 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Uh, you still have to pry them away from the adductor, which usually
>>> requires some stable leverage by holding the shell lightly.
>>>

>> All I was saying is I don't like the idea of picking shellfish out of
>> hot soup to get to the meat from the bivalve.
>>
>>> So pick the meat out before serving if it icks you out to do at the
>>> dinner table.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Yeah, sure. I'm not really a fish soup fan.

Mussels are not obligatory in Bouillabaisse or Italian Cioppino. I've
had both without the shellfish. You are really missing out if you don't
like fish soups by which I also mean the different varieties of Clam
Chowder and soups from Mexico and Thailand. I have to admit that shell
fish and crustaceans are "fish" to me.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 17:53:44 -0000, Janet > wrote:

> I've never, ever eaten a bad mussel.

Me either, but I steer clear of frozen shellfish.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 12:50:53 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I guess I just know how to twirl a small amount of spaghetti.

I do too (without using that silly spoon), but I still think it's
messier than eating mussels.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I noticed the last time I there Publix (grocery store) still sells that
> brand of frozen mussels in garlic sauce. The directions always have the
> notation: if they're already opened before cooking, discard them. I
> did, but still managed to get a bad one once. I don't like spending
> half the day in the bathroom.

Fresh mussels are the only way to go. They taste just like clams to
me. If they are already open and won't close, discard them. With the
remaining closed ones, if they don't open during cooking toss them out
too. This applies to all shellfish. No problems ever getting a bad one
if you follow those rules.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 15:10:23 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > I noticed the last time I there Publix (grocery store) still sells that
> > brand of frozen mussels in garlic sauce. The directions always have the
> > notation: if they're already opened before cooking, discard them. I
> > did, but still managed to get a bad one once. I don't like spending
> > half the day in the bathroom.

> Fresh mussels are the only way to go. They taste just like clams to
> me. If they are already open and won't close, discard them. With the
> remaining closed ones, if they don't open during cooking toss them out
> too. This applies to all shellfish. No problems ever getting a bad one
> if you follow those rules.

All bets are off when they buy frozen mussels.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-15 1:26 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> These food writers kill me. Oh, sure, everyone can just whip to
> their nearest clam and mussel monger and have this on the table in a
> trice. I notice the article did call it a 'mock' bouillabaisse.
> The real deal usually calls for a lot of other denizens of the sea -
> and on the menu of a good resto, it's often THE highest price
> entree.

Actually, the times I had bouillabaisse, it was not expensive. If you
have good organization in a restaurant it is made with bits and pieces,
scraps that might otherwise be trashed.

> It looks like a big meal in the photo, but if one were to assemble
> all the edible parts, I wonder if it'd fill a teacup.

That's the neat thing about mussels. You can serve a plateful of mussels
and it looks like a lot of food. It is actually a big plate of shells
with a little bite of cooked critter inside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-15 1:50 PM, James Silverton wrote:

> Mussels are not obligatory in Bouillabaisse or Italian Cioppino. I've
> had both without the shellfish. You are really missing out if you don't
> like fish soups by which I also mean the different varieties of Clam
> Chowder and soups from Mexico and Thailand. I have to admit that shell
> fish and crustaceans are "fish" to me.

I have to admit that years ago I was not at all interested in fish
soups. I guess it was one of those things I had never had and was not
interested in. Then I tried some. IIRC the first one was a clam
chowder. I have since had bouillabaisse a few times and really liked
them. Then there were the lobster and shrimp bisques. They made a
believer out of me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 3:49 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 15:10:23 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> I noticed the last time I there Publix (grocery store) still sells that
>>> brand of frozen mussels in garlic sauce. The directions always have the
>>> notation: if they're already opened before cooking, discard them. I
>>> did, but still managed to get a bad one once. I don't like spending
>>> half the day in the bathroom.

>> Fresh mussels are the only way to go. They taste just like clams to
>> me. If they are already open and won't close, discard them. With the
>> remaining closed ones, if they don't open during cooking toss them out
>> too. This applies to all shellfish. No problems ever getting a bad one
>> if you follow those rules.
>>

> All bets are off when they buy frozen mussels.

Fresh mussels aren't available where I live. They aren't native to this
area.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-15 4:44 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> All bets are off when they buy frozen mussels.
>>

> Fresh mussels aren't available where I live. They aren't native to this
> area.

They are not native to this area either but I can occasionally get them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 16:44:17 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 12/15/2013 3:49 PM, sf wrote:

> >> Fresh mussels are the only way to go. They taste just like clams to
> >> me. If they are already open and won't close, discard them. With the
> >> remaining closed ones, if they don't open during cooking toss them out
> >> too. This applies to all shellfish. No problems ever getting a bad one
> >> if you follow those rules.
> >>

> > All bets are off when they buy frozen mussels.
> >

> Fresh mussels aren't available where I live. They aren't native to this
> area.

Mussels are imported live from all over the world, Jill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 5:22 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 16:44:17 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> All bets are off when they buy frozen mussels.
>>>

>> Fresh mussels aren't available where I live. They aren't native to this
>> area.
>>

> Mussels are imported live from all over the world, Jill.

New Zealand Green Mussels were certainly available in Fresh Foods and
I've noticed that a lot of the mussels I have been served in Chinese and
Thai restaurants are green. NZ is not quite an antipode of DC but it is
8600 miles away.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 12:49:12 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 15:10:23 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> jmcquown wrote:
>> >
>> > I noticed the last time I there Publix (grocery store) still sells that
>> > brand of frozen mussels in garlic sauce. The directions always have the
>> > notation: if they're already opened before cooking, discard them. I
>> > did, but still managed to get a bad one once. I don't like spending
>> > half the day in the bathroom.

>> Fresh mussels are the only way to go. They taste just like clams to
>> me. If they are already open and won't close, discard them. With the
>> remaining closed ones, if they don't open during cooking toss them out
>> too. This applies to all shellfish. No problems ever getting a bad one
>> if you follow those rules.
>>

>All bets are off when they buy frozen mussels.

I've never seen frozen mussels... they'd be more disgusting than sf's
snatch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:21:54 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:56:32 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:
>
>> On 12/15/2013 9:27 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> > True, but as I mentioned to Dave, picking the meat out of mussel shells
>> > from a bowl of soup also sounds terribly messy.

>> I don't eat mussels, but Ron used to order them at this place
>> that's long gone now. Came in a big bowl. He'd eat the mussels
>> and I'd have bread dipped in the sherry garlic sauce.
>>
>> Wasn't messy though it might sound that way.
>>
>> Recently he bought a reasonable substitute for that dish at
>> Costco. Not bad at all. Not as good as at that restaurant but
>> he said he liked the mussels.
>>

>I like mussels... they taste kind of like penis, only sweeter.

Yoose the pro!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 2:18 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I would have expected that question from Shelly.
>
> -sw

You're sweet on him, aren't you?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 2:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I have never encountered a bad mussel.

Wait for it....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 18:26:47 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Uh, you still have to pry them away from the adductor, which usually
>>> requires some stable leverage by holding the shell lightly.
>>>

>> All I was saying is I don't like the idea of picking shellfish out of hot
>> soup to get to the meat from the bivalve.
>>
>>> So pick the meat out before serving if it icks you out to do at the
>>> dinner table.
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Yeah, sure. I'm not really a fish soup fan.

>Nor am I!

If yoose gals find mussels messy you must find sex nightmarishly
scary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 3:41 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 12:49:12 -0800, sf > wrote:

>>> Fresh mussels are the only way to go. They taste just like clams to
>>> me. If they are already open and won't close, discard them. With the
>>> remaining closed ones, if they don't open during cooking toss them out
>>> too. This applies to all shellfish. No problems ever getting a bad one
>>> if you follow those rules.
>>>

>> All bets are off when they buy frozen mussels.

> I've never seen frozen mussels... they'd be more disgusting than sf's
> snatch.

Dude, uncalled for.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 5:22 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 16:44:17 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> All bets are off when they buy frozen mussels.
>>>

>> Fresh mussels aren't available where I live. They aren't native to this
>> area.
>>

> Mussels are imported live from all over the world, Jill.

Uh, yeah. And there are TJ's and Costco's all over, too. LOL sf, I'm
familiar with the seafood available at the grocery store here. Frozen
mussels is the best I can do, or at least the only ones I'd trust. It's
a moot point. I'm not planning to make bouillabaisse. It sounds like a
good soup, but I'm still not interested. No offense.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mo...erewithc_71787

> I've never, ever eaten a bad mussel.
>
> Janet UK

What a wonderful sex partner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I've never seen frozen mussels...

I have.

>they'd be more disgusting than sf's
> snatch.

Hardly called for. Into the sauce already?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 5:52 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 18:26:47 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>>>
>>> Yeah, sure. I'm not really a fish soup fan.

>> Nor am I!

> If yoose gals find mussels messy you must find sex nightmarishly
> scary.

Okay... I could say that a messy drippy penis would undoubtedly be
unattractive. But you wouldn't really want me to say that about your
penis, would you? LOL

What the hell does sex have to do with bouillabaisse?!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-15 6:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 12/15/2013 5:52 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 18:26:47 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> Nor am I!

>> If yoose gals find mussels messy you must find sex nightmarishly
>> scary.
>>

> Okay... I could say that a messy drippy penis would undoubtedly be
> unattractive. But you wouldn't really want me to say that about your
> penis, would you? LOL
>
> What the hell does sex have to do with bouillabaisse?!

It's the weekend. Sheldon has a drink in one hand and in the other.......

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 12/15/2013 5:52 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 18:26:47 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>> Nor am I!

>> If yoose gals find mussels messy you must find sex nightmarishly
>> scary.
>>

> Okay... I could say that a messy drippy penis would undoubtedly be
> unattractive. But you wouldn't really want me to say that about your
> penis, would you? LOL

Why not?

> What the hell does sex have to do with bouillabaisse?!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 6:18 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2013-12-15 6:11 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 12/15/2013 5:52 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 18:26:47 -0000, "Ophelia"

>>> If yoose gals find mussels messy you must find sex nightmarishly
>>> scary.
>>>

>> Okay... I could say that a messy drippy penis would undoubtedly be
>> unattractive. But you wouldn't really want me to say that about your
>> penis, would you? LOL
>>
>> What the hell does sex have to do with bouillabaisse?!
>>

> It's the weekend. Sheldon has a drink in one hand and in the other.......

LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/15/2013 6:25 PM, Janet wrote:
> In article >, ost
> says...
>>
>> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 18:22:33 -0000, Janet wrote:
>>
>>> When we get fresh local mussels, (only pick closed ones) I stand them
>>> in a bucket of water for a couple of hours so most will open and any
>>> sand falls out. A closed mussel opening proves it's alive, so safe to
>>> eat. I discard any that still haven't opened during cooking.

>> I pry open the shells that don't open and I usually find that the meat
>> inside is usually larger and better tasting than the ones that DID
>> open. I have never encountered a bad mussel. Calm, sure. But never
>> a mussel. I buy a good, frozen PEI brand - who probably do a good job
>> of sorting them before packaging.
>>
>> "Don't eat mussels that don't open" is an urban myth.

> That's a sales pitch from the commercial exporters of farmed, frozen,
> sorted, dead mussels.
>
> I don't live in an urban area. I live on an island; we go out in a
> kayak at a low tide and pick live, wild mussels straight from the rocks
> where they live.

I live on an island too. In South Carolina, USA. Mussels aren't
available for picking because they don't live in ths warm water.

> The only freshly picked wild mussel that doesn't open in heat, is one
> that was already dead before it hit the pan
> Janet UK

Yes, I think we know that. The same holds true for flash frozen
mussels. Which is the only way I can find them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-12-15 6:25 PM, Janet wrote:

>> "Don't eat mussels that don't open" is an urban myth.

> That's a sales pitch from the commercial exporters of farmed, frozen,
> sorted, dead mussels.
>
> I don't live in an urban area. I live on an island; we go out in a
> kayak at a low tide and pick live, wild mussels straight from the rocks
> where they live.
>
> The only freshly picked wild mussel that doesn't open in heat, is one
> that was already dead before it hit the pan

My wife knows about cooking mollusks that are not closed and not eating
those that are closed, but I saw how sick she got after eating them. I
lost my appetite for them. I don't hate them. I just lost my appetite
for them.