Ferrante

Default Angel hair pasta suggestions?

I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.

Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Mark Ferrante
Rusty Barton

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:57:24 -0500, Ferrante
> wrote:

>I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
>say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>
>Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
>it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
>overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
>sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>Mark Ferrante

Armenian Rice Pilaf

1/4 lb butter or margarine
1/2 c vermicelli or angel hair pasta
2 c Uncooked long-grain rice
4 c Boiling hot chicken broth
Salt

Melt butter in heavy pan or Dutch oven. Break pasta in small pieces
(about 1/4 inch), add to pan and cook until golden brown, stirring
constantly. Add rice and stir until rice is well coated with butter.
Add boiling broth and season to taste with salt. Cook, covered, over
low heat until liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Stir lightly with
fork. Let stand in warm place 15 to 20 minutes before serving.

--
Rusty Barton
Sacramento, CA

Rusty Barton

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:57:24 -0500, Ferrante
> wrote:

>I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
>say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>
>Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
>it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
>overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
>sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>Mark Ferrante

Armenian Rice Pilaf

1/4 lb butter or margarine
1/2 c vermicelli or angel hair pasta
2 c Uncooked long-grain rice
4 c Boiling hot chicken broth
Salt

Melt butter in heavy pan or Dutch oven. Break pasta in small pieces
(about 1/4 inch), add to pan and cook until golden brown, stirring
constantly. Add rice and stir until rice is well coated with butter.
Add boiling broth and season to taste with salt. Cook, covered, over
low heat until liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Stir lightly with
fork. Let stand in warm place 15 to 20 minutes before serving.

--
Rusty Barton
Sacramento, CA

Rusty Barton

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:57:24 -0500, Ferrante
> wrote:

>I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
>say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>
>Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
>it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
>overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
>sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.
>
>Thanks in advance for your help.
>Mark Ferrante

Armenian Rice Pilaf

1/4 lb butter or margarine
1/2 c vermicelli or angel hair pasta
2 c Uncooked long-grain rice
4 c Boiling hot chicken broth
Salt

Melt butter in heavy pan or Dutch oven. Break pasta in small pieces
(about 1/4 inch), add to pan and cook until golden brown, stirring
constantly. Add rice and stir until rice is well coated with butter.
Add boiling broth and season to taste with salt. Cook, covered, over
low heat until liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Stir lightly with
fork. Let stand in warm place 15 to 20 minutes before serving.

--
Rusty Barton
Sacramento, CA

Julian9EHP

>On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:57:24 -0500, Ferrante
> wrote:
>
>>I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
>>say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>>
>>Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
>>it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
>>overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
>>sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for your help.
>>Mark Ferrante

I am a vulgarian, from the country of Vulgar. The best pasta sauce I ever had
was when I accidentally poured buttermilk salad dressing over my angel hair.

E. P.

Julian9EHP

>On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 20:57:24 -0500, Ferrante
> wrote:
>
>>I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
>>say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>>
>>Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
>>it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
>>overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
>>sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.
>>
>>Thanks in advance for your help.
>>Mark Ferrante

I am a vulgarian, from the country of Vulgar. The best pasta sauce I ever had
was when I accidentally poured buttermilk salad dressing over my angel hair.

E. P.
WardNA

>I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
>overpower it).

No reason to pussyfoot around it: angel hair is my absolute favorite pasta,
and I'd use it for anything--pesto, tomato sauce, olive-oil-and-parmesan . . .
even Alfredo-type concoctions are fine, but be good-n-sure you've cooked it al
dente.

It's been a while, but I used to saute bay scallops in butter, with garlic and
parsley, season the thing with thyme and black pepper and serve that over angel
hair. It was always popular.

Neil
WardNA

>I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
>overpower it).

No reason to pussyfoot around it: angel hair is my absolute favorite pasta,
and I'd use it for anything--pesto, tomato sauce, olive-oil-and-parmesan . . .
even Alfredo-type concoctions are fine, but be good-n-sure you've cooked it al
dente.

It's been a while, but I used to saute bay scallops in butter, with garlic and
parsley, season the thing with thyme and black pepper and serve that over angel
hair. It was always popular.

Neil
WardNA

>I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
>overpower it).

No reason to pussyfoot around it: angel hair is my absolute favorite pasta,
and I'd use it for anything--pesto, tomato sauce, olive-oil-and-parmesan . . .
even Alfredo-type concoctions are fine, but be good-n-sure you've cooked it al
dente.

It's been a while, but I used to saute bay scallops in butter, with garlic and
parsley, season the thing with thyme and black pepper and serve that over angel
hair. It was always popular.

Neil
PENMART01

>Ferrante wrote:
>
>I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
>say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>
>Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
>it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
>overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
>sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.

Angel hair pasta is excellent in soups, golden chicken, hot & sour, etc., but
this is the ultimate.

I prefer kugels cooked until deep golden brown, a crispy exterior... this is
excellent for breakfast... got hillybilly grits beat all to hell.

If your lady has been begging you for a breast enhancement just feed her one of
these every day for a month... guaranteed to increase her two full cup sizes,
the rest of her likewise but with them new DD mommas who cares.

Cheesecake Kugel

This makes a huge kugel, but it's so delicious it goes really quickly!

2 (0.25 kg) containers cottage cheese (can be low-fat)
3 cups sour cream (3 containers)
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
4-6 eggs, depending on how rich you like your kugel
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (500 g) package broad egg noodles or thin egg noodles, cooked
1/2 cup raisins (we leave them out)
cinnamon (for topping)
sugar (for topping)

2 hour 30 minutes 30 mins prep

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine the cheese, sour cream, milk and half of
the melted butter.
2. Beat the eggs together with the sugar and vanilla and add to the cheese
mixture.
3. Add the cooked noodles and the raisins (if using).
4. Turn into a large buttered pan or into two smaller ones (this makes a lot
of kugel!).
5. Top with the remaining melted butter.
6. Mix the cinnamon and sugar together and sprinkle on top.
7. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for approximately one hour or until lightly
browned.
8. May be frozen and reheated.
© 2004 Recipezaar
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Nancy Young

Ferrante wrote:

> I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>
> Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
> it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
> overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
> sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.

I ADORE chicken piccata over angel hair. I butterfly the chicken,
pound it out like a maniac, make the sauce blah blah (you can find my
recipe from google). But here is my warning (beside the fact that you
must include the capers). You *must* have the angel hair ready the
same second as the chicken (you serve the chicken on top), or it will
turn to glue. I would allow the chicken to cool off before I'd allow
the angel hair pasta.

nancy
jmcquown

Ferrante wrote:
> I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>
> Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
> it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
> overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
> sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark Ferrante

I most recently had angel hair pasta with a lovely fresh marinara seasoned
very simply some basil, oregano and garlic and with freshly minced tomato
sprinkled on top. It was delicious!

Jill

jmcquown

Ferrante wrote:
> I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>
> Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
> it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
> overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
> sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark Ferrante

I most recently had angel hair pasta with a lovely fresh marinara seasoned
very simply some basil, oregano and garlic and with freshly minced tomato
sprinkled on top. It was delicious!

Jill

Dave Smith

Ferrante wrote:

> I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>
> Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
> it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
> overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
> sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.

I came across an interesting looking recipe in a magazine while waiting
for an appointment the other day for scallops and cherry tomatoes with
angel hair pasta. Toss some sea scallops in corn starch and fry in a pan
with a bit of olive oil for about three minutes. Remove the scallops and
toss in a few cloves of chopped garlic and some cherry tomatoes until the
garlic starts to turn golden. Add some white vermouth or white wine and
reduce it a bit then add some cornstarch with cold water and thicken the
sauce, add chopped fresh basil and return scallops to warm up for about a
minute. Serve on angel hair pasta.

Dave Smith

Ferrante wrote:

> I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>
> Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
> it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
> overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
> sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.

I came across an interesting looking recipe in a magazine while waiting
for an appointment the other day for scallops and cherry tomatoes with
angel hair pasta. Toss some sea scallops in corn starch and fry in a pan
with a bit of olive oil for about three minutes. Remove the scallops and
toss in a few cloves of chopped garlic and some cherry tomatoes until the
garlic starts to turn golden. Add some white vermouth or white wine and
reduce it a bit then add some cornstarch with cold water and thicken the
sauce, add chopped fresh basil and return scallops to warm up for about a
minute. Serve on angel hair pasta.

Dave Smith

Ferrante wrote:

> I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>
> Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
> it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
> overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
> sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.

I came across an interesting looking recipe in a magazine while waiting
for an appointment the other day for scallops and cherry tomatoes with
angel hair pasta. Toss some sea scallops in corn starch and fry in a pan
with a bit of olive oil for about three minutes. Remove the scallops and
toss in a few cloves of chopped garlic and some cherry tomatoes until the
garlic starts to turn golden. Add some white vermouth or white wine and
reduce it a bit then add some cornstarch with cold water and thicken the
sauce, add chopped fresh basil and return scallops to warm up for about a
minute. Serve on angel hair pasta.

notbob

On 2004-11-07, Dave Smith > wrote:

>> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.

I don't like it. This is probably because I'm not a big pasta fan and I
find angel hair pasta, by its very nature, to be a pasta lovers pasta.
IOW, since it is so fine, there is less space for sauce between strands,
thereby making for more pasta and less sauce per serving. I prefer flat
strand or shell pastas for a more balance dish.

nb
notbob

On 2004-11-07, Dave Smith > wrote:

>> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.

I don't like it. This is probably because I'm not a big pasta fan and I
find angel hair pasta, by its very nature, to be a pasta lovers pasta.
IOW, since it is so fine, there is less space for sauce between strands,
thereby making for more pasta and less sauce per serving. I prefer flat
strand or shell pastas for a more balance dish.

nb
Wayne Boatwright

notbob > wrote in news:E3tjd.9341$5K2.8866@attbi_s03:

> On 2004-11-07, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>>> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.

> I don't like it. This is probably because I'm not a big pasta fan and I
> find angel hair pasta, by its very nature, to be a pasta lovers pasta.
> IOW, since it is so fine, there is less space for sauce between strands,
> thereby making for more pasta and less sauce per serving. I prefer flat
> strand or shell pastas for a more balance dish.
>
> nb

I'm not partial to angel hair pasta, either, for similar reasons. It
doesn't support the types of sauces I usually prefer, which seem to be too
heavy for the pasta. The only time I really, really liked angel hair pasta
was in a restaurant in Little Italy in NYC. It was served with a light
blush sauce, along with bits of prosciutto, tomato, roasted garlic, and
tiny fresh peas. It was superb.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

notbob > wrote in news:E3tjd.9341$5K2.8866@attbi_s03:

> On 2004-11-07, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>>> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.

> I don't like it. This is probably because I'm not a big pasta fan and I
> find angel hair pasta, by its very nature, to be a pasta lovers pasta.
> IOW, since it is so fine, there is less space for sauce between strands,
> thereby making for more pasta and less sauce per serving. I prefer flat
> strand or shell pastas for a more balance dish.
>
> nb

I'm not partial to angel hair pasta, either, for similar reasons. It
doesn't support the types of sauces I usually prefer, which seem to be too
heavy for the pasta. The only time I really, really liked angel hair pasta
was in a restaurant in Little Italy in NYC. It was served with a light
blush sauce, along with bits of prosciutto, tomato, roasted garlic, and
tiny fresh peas. It was superb.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

PENMART01

> Wayne Boatwright wrights:
>
>>notbob wrote:
>>
>> I don't like it. This is probably because I'm not a big pasta fan and I
>> find angel hair pasta, by its very nature, to be a pasta lovers pasta.
>> IOW, since it is so fine, there is less space for sauce between strands,
>> thereby making for more pasta and less sauce per serving. I prefer flat
>> strand or shell pastas for a more balance dish.

>I'm not partial to angel hair pasta, either, for similar reasons. It
>doesn't support the types of sauces I usually prefer, which seem to be too
>heavy for the pasta. The only time I really, really liked angel hair pasta
>was in a restaurant in Little Italy in NYC. It was served with a light
>blush sauce, along with bits of prosciutto, tomato, roasted garlic, and
>tiny fresh peas. It was superb.

Actually angel's hair pasta was never intended to be used like spaghetti, which
is why it's not called spaghetti, of which there are various sizes. There are
many pasta shapes not intended for use with sauce. Many are soup pastas, as is
angel's hair pasta. A short time ago some wiseass newbie restaurant owner
figured a good way to serve smaller portions and make them look like more was
to elevate them on some sort of edible platform... what could be more novel and
cheaper than angel's hair pasta... I mean pasta costs less than a blob of
mashed potato. I've been to restaurants where most everything possible was
presented on a wad of angel's hair pasta... but I also noticed that not many
actually ate it.

Angel's hair pasta is good to use in thin soups or broken up and used instead
of vermecelli cooked with rice. Personally I much prefer "fideo" (Mexican
pasta, little nests of angel's hair).

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> Wayne Boatwright wrights:
>
>>notbob wrote:
>>
>> I don't like it. This is probably because I'm not a big pasta fan and I
>> find angel hair pasta, by its very nature, to be a pasta lovers pasta.
>> IOW, since it is so fine, there is less space for sauce between strands,
>> thereby making for more pasta and less sauce per serving. I prefer flat
>> strand or shell pastas for a more balance dish.

>I'm not partial to angel hair pasta, either, for similar reasons. It
>doesn't support the types of sauces I usually prefer, which seem to be too
>heavy for the pasta. The only time I really, really liked angel hair pasta
>was in a restaurant in Little Italy in NYC. It was served with a light
>blush sauce, along with bits of prosciutto, tomato, roasted garlic, and
>tiny fresh peas. It was superb.

Actually angel's hair pasta was never intended to be used like spaghetti, which
is why it's not called spaghetti, of which there are various sizes. There are
many pasta shapes not intended for use with sauce. Many are soup pastas, as is
angel's hair pasta. A short time ago some wiseass newbie restaurant owner
figured a good way to serve smaller portions and make them look like more was
to elevate them on some sort of edible platform... what could be more novel and
cheaper than angel's hair pasta... I mean pasta costs less than a blob of
mashed potato. I've been to restaurants where most everything possible was
presented on a wad of angel's hair pasta... but I also noticed that not many
actually ate it.

Angel's hair pasta is good to use in thin soups or broken up and used instead
of vermecelli cooked with rice. Personally I much prefer "fideo" (Mexican
pasta, little nests of angel's hair).

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> Wayne Boatwright wrights:
>
>>notbob wrote:
>>
>> I don't like it. This is probably because I'm not a big pasta fan and I
>> find angel hair pasta, by its very nature, to be a pasta lovers pasta.
>> IOW, since it is so fine, there is less space for sauce between strands,
>> thereby making for more pasta and less sauce per serving. I prefer flat
>> strand or shell pastas for a more balance dish.

>I'm not partial to angel hair pasta, either, for similar reasons. It
>doesn't support the types of sauces I usually prefer, which seem to be too
>heavy for the pasta. The only time I really, really liked angel hair pasta
>was in a restaurant in Little Italy in NYC. It was served with a light
>blush sauce, along with bits of prosciutto, tomato, roasted garlic, and
>tiny fresh peas. It was superb.

Actually angel's hair pasta was never intended to be used like spaghetti, which
is why it's not called spaghetti, of which there are various sizes. There are
many pasta shapes not intended for use with sauce. Many are soup pastas, as is
angel's hair pasta. A short time ago some wiseass newbie restaurant owner
figured a good way to serve smaller portions and make them look like more was
to elevate them on some sort of edible platform... what could be more novel and
cheaper than angel's hair pasta... I mean pasta costs less than a blob of
mashed potato. I've been to restaurants where most everything possible was
presented on a wad of angel's hair pasta... but I also noticed that not many
actually ate it.

Angel's hair pasta is good to use in thin soups or broken up and used instead
of vermecelli cooked with rice. Personally I much prefer "fideo" (Mexican
pasta, little nests of angel's hair).

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Nancy Young

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I'm not partial to angel hair pasta, either, for similar reasons. It
> doesn't support the types of sauces I usually prefer, which seem to be too
> heavy for the pasta. The only time I really, really liked angel hair pasta
> was in a restaurant in Little Italy in NYC. It was served with a light
> blush sauce, along with bits of prosciutto, tomato, roasted garlic, and
> tiny fresh peas. It was superb.

But really, that's the point of the different shapes of pasta.
Rotelle or whatever for bolognese, angel hair for a light lemon
sauce. Not better or worse, just the appopriate vehicle for the
given sauce.

nancy
Nancy Young

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I'm not partial to angel hair pasta, either, for similar reasons. It
> doesn't support the types of sauces I usually prefer, which seem to be too
> heavy for the pasta. The only time I really, really liked angel hair pasta
> was in a restaurant in Little Italy in NYC. It was served with a light
> blush sauce, along with bits of prosciutto, tomato, roasted garlic, and
> tiny fresh peas. It was superb.

But really, that's the point of the different shapes of pasta.
Rotelle or whatever for bolognese, angel hair for a light lemon
sauce. Not better or worse, just the appopriate vehicle for the
given sauce.

nancy

Nancy Young

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I'm not partial to angel hair pasta, either, for similar reasons. It
> doesn't support the types of sauces I usually prefer, which seem to be too
> heavy for the pasta. The only time I really, really liked angel hair pasta
> was in a restaurant in Little Italy in NYC. It was served with a light
> blush sauce, along with bits of prosciutto, tomato, roasted garlic, and
> tiny fresh peas. It was superb.

But really, that's the point of the different shapes of pasta.
Rotelle or whatever for bolognese, angel hair for a light lemon
sauce. Not better or worse, just the appopriate vehicle for the
given sauce.

nancy
Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby

"Ferrante" wrote
>I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>
> Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
> it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
> overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
> sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark Ferrante

The Garlic 'n Lemon recipe on this site looks good---
http://www.byerlys.com/rc_catresults.cfm

Pam

Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby

"Ferrante" wrote
>I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>
> Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
> it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
> overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
> sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark Ferrante

The Garlic 'n Lemon recipe on this site looks good---
http://www.byerlys.com/rc_catresults.cfm

Pam

Wayne Boatwright

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I'm not partial to angel hair pasta, either, for similar reasons. It
>> doesn't support the types of sauces I usually prefer, which seem to be
>> too heavy for the pasta. The only time I really, really liked angel
>> hair pasta was in a restaurant in Little Italy in NYC. It was served
>> with a light blush sauce, along with bits of prosciutto, tomato,
>> roasted garlic, and tiny fresh peas. It was superb.

> But really, that's the point of the different shapes of pasta.
> Rotelle or whatever for bolognese, angel hair for a light lemon
> sauce. Not better or worse, just the appopriate vehicle for the
> given sauce.
>
> nancy

What you said is true, of course. Obviously, I most often prefer sauces
which require larger and sturdier pasta.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne Boatwright

Nancy Young > wrote in
:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> I'm not partial to angel hair pasta, either, for similar reasons. It
>> doesn't support the types of sauces I usually prefer, which seem to be
>> too heavy for the pasta. The only time I really, really liked angel
>> hair pasta was in a restaurant in Little Italy in NYC. It was served
>> with a light blush sauce, along with bits of prosciutto, tomato,
>> roasted garlic, and tiny fresh peas. It was superb.

> But really, that's the point of the different shapes of pasta.
> Rotelle or whatever for bolognese, angel hair for a light lemon
> sauce. Not better or worse, just the appopriate vehicle for the
> given sauce.
>
> nancy

What you said is true, of course. Obviously, I most often prefer sauces
which require larger and sturdier pasta.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

Nexis

"Ferrante" > wrote in message
> I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>
> Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
> it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
> overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
> sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark Ferrante

Your instinct to avoid a heavy sauce is a good one. My favorite way to serve
angel hair is a basic pomodoro. Get some good, ripe roma tomatoes, fresh
basil, lots of crushed or minced (or even sliced!) garlic and some very good
extra virgin olive oil. Some Romano cheese and parmesan (preferably
Reggiano) and maybe a little asiago or mizithra to serve on the side. If you
find the tomatoes aren't quite juicy enough, you can add a bit of chicken
stock. Just dice the tomatoes, and crush, slice, or mince the garlic. Heat a
pan with a couple tablespoons of EVOO and add the garlic. When it turns
golden, add the tomatoes and simmer. Add the basil at the very end. Toss
with the past and serve with the cheese.

kimberly

Nexis

"Ferrante" > wrote in message
> I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>
> Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
> it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
> overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
> sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark Ferrante

Your instinct to avoid a heavy sauce is a good one. My favorite way to serve
angel hair is a basic pomodoro. Get some good, ripe roma tomatoes, fresh
basil, lots of crushed or minced (or even sliced!) garlic and some very good
extra virgin olive oil. Some Romano cheese and parmesan (preferably
Reggiano) and maybe a little asiago or mizithra to serve on the side. If you
find the tomatoes aren't quite juicy enough, you can add a bit of chicken
stock. Just dice the tomatoes, and crush, slice, or mince the garlic. Heat a
pan with a couple tablespoons of EVOO and add the garlic. When it turns
golden, add the tomatoes and simmer. Add the basil at the very end. Toss
with the past and serve with the cheese.

kimberly

Nexis

"Ferrante" > wrote in message
> I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>
> Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
> it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
> overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
> sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Mark Ferrante

Your instinct to avoid a heavy sauce is a good one. My favorite way to serve
angel hair is a basic pomodoro. Get some good, ripe roma tomatoes, fresh
basil, lots of crushed or minced (or even sliced!) garlic and some very good
extra virgin olive oil. Some Romano cheese and parmesan (preferably
Reggiano) and maybe a little asiago or mizithra to serve on the side. If you
find the tomatoes aren't quite juicy enough, you can add a bit of chicken
stock. Just dice the tomatoes, and crush, slice, or mince the garlic. Heat a
pan with a couple tablespoons of EVOO and add the garlic. When it turns
golden, add the tomatoes and simmer. Add the basil at the very end. Toss
with the past and serve with the cheese.

kimberly

Jack B

In article <zMzjd.36649$SW3.30495@fed1read01>, "Nexis" >
wrote:

> "Ferrante" > wrote in message
> > I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
> > say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
> >
> > Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes

> Your instinct to avoid a heavy sauce is a good one. My favorite way to serve
> angel hair is a basic pomodoro. Get some good, ripe roma tomatoes, fresh
> basil, lots of crushed or minced (or even sliced!) garlic and some very good
> extra virgin olive oil. Some Romano cheese and parmesan (preferably
> Reggiano) and maybe a little asiago or mizithra to serve on the side. If you
> find the tomatoes aren't quite juicy enough, you can add a bit of chicken
> stock. Just dice the tomatoes, and crush, slice, or mince the garlic. Heat a
> pan with a couple tablespoons of EVOO and add the garlic. When it turns
> golden, add the tomatoes and simmer. Add the basil at the very end. Toss
> with the past and serve with the cheese.
>
> kimberly

Oh, I couldn't agree more. This is my favorite for thin pasta.

You have said it well, kimberly.

[I'd add tomatoes a bit before garlic is "golden," though G is a
little temperamental depending on its age and handling history; can turn
bitter when fried.]

Be well.

--
Jack
Jack B

wrote:

> "Ferrante" > wrote in message
> > I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
> > say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
> >
> > Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes

> Your instinct to avoid a heavy sauce is a good one. My favorite way to serve
> angel hair is a basic pomodoro. Get some good, ripe roma tomatoes, fresh
> basil, lots of crushed or minced (or even sliced!) garlic and some very good
> extra virgin olive oil. Some Romano cheese and parmesan (preferably
> Reggiano) and maybe a little asiago or mizithra to serve on the side. If you
> find the tomatoes aren't quite juicy enough, you can add a bit of chicken
> stock. Just dice the tomatoes, and crush, slice, or mince the garlic. Heat a
> pan with a couple tablespoons of EVOO and add the garlic. When it turns
> golden, add the tomatoes and simmer. Add the basil at the very end. Toss
> with the past and serve with the cheese.
>
> kimberly

Oh, I couldn't agree more. This is my favorite for thin pasta.

You have said it well, kimberly.

[I'd add tomatoes a bit before garlic is "golden," though G is a
little temperamental depending on its age and handling history; can turn
bitter when fried.]

Be well.

--
Jack

Jack B

wrote:

> "Ferrante" > wrote in message
> > I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
> > say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
> >
> > Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes

> Your instinct to avoid a heavy sauce is a good one. My favorite way to serve
> angel hair is a basic pomodoro. Get some good, ripe roma tomatoes, fresh
> basil, lots of crushed or minced (or even sliced!) garlic and some very good
> extra virgin olive oil. Some Romano cheese and parmesan (preferably
> Reggiano) and maybe a little asiago or mizithra to serve on the side. If you
> find the tomatoes aren't quite juicy enough, you can add a bit of chicken
> stock. Just dice the tomatoes, and crush, slice, or mince the garlic. Heat a
> pan with a couple tablespoons of EVOO and add the garlic. When it turns
> golden, add the tomatoes and simmer. Add the basil at the very end. Toss
> with the past and serve with the cheese.
>
> kimberly

Oh, I couldn't agree more. This is my favorite for thin pasta.

You have said it well, kimberly.

[I'd add tomatoes a bit before garlic is "golden," though G is a
little temperamental depending on its age and handling history; can turn
bitter when fried.]

Be well.

--
Jack
Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby

"Nexis" wrote ..

> "Ferrante" wrote ...
>> I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
>> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>>
>> Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
>> it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
>> overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
>> sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>> Mark Ferrante

> Your instinct to avoid a heavy sauce is a good one. My favorite way to
> serve
> angel hair is a basic pomodoro. Get some good, ripe roma tomatoes, fresh
> basil, lots of crushed or minced (or even sliced!) garlic and some very
> good
> extra virgin olive oil. Some Romano cheese and parmesan (preferably
> Reggiano) and maybe a little asiago or mizithra to serve on the side. If
> you
> find the tomatoes aren't quite juicy enough, you can add a bit of chicken
> stock. Just dice the tomatoes, and crush, slice, or mince the garlic. Heat
> pan with a couple tablespoons of EVOO and add the garlic. When it turns
> golden, add the tomatoes and simmer. Add the basil at the very end. Toss
> with the past and serve with the cheese.
>
> kimberly

Oh, yes, Ed and I do something similar. We sauté some shrimp in EVOO with
garlic and some Chinese chili oil. We don't cook the tomatoes; rather, we
add them fresh after everything has been tossed in the bowl, and let them be
heated by the rest of the dish.

Pam

Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby

"Nexis" wrote ..

> "Ferrante" wrote ...
>> I have seldom used angel hair pasta, but after listening to a friend
>> say it was he favorite, I got a box and will try it again.
>>
>> Any simple suggestions on what I can add to it to bring out what makes
>> it popular with people. I don't think a heavy sauce would work (might
>> overpower it). I thought about adding some butter and garlic with
>> sharp Romano cheese. Then I decided to ask the experts and here I am.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>> Mark Ferrante

> Your instinct to avoid a heavy sauce is a good one. My favorite way to
> serve
> angel hair is a basic pomodoro. Get some good, ripe roma tomatoes, fresh
> basil, lots of crushed or minced (or even sliced!) garlic and some very
> good
> extra virgin olive oil. Some Romano cheese and parmesan (preferably
> Reggiano) and maybe a little asiago or mizithra to serve on the side. If
> you
> find the tomatoes aren't quite juicy enough, you can add a bit of chicken
> stock. Just dice the tomatoes, and crush, slice, or mince the garlic. Heat
> pan with a couple tablespoons of EVOO and add the garlic. When it turns
> golden, add the tomatoes and simmer. Add the basil at the very end. Toss
> with the past and serve with the cheese.
>
> kimberly

Oh, yes, Ed and I do something similar. We sauté some shrimp in EVOO with
garlic and some Chinese chili oil. We don't cook the tomatoes; rather, we
add them fresh after everything has been tossed in the bowl, and let them be
heated by the rest of the dish.

Pam

Barbtail

Fideo:

6-8 oz Anglehair pasta broken
1 chorizo sausage
1 boulion cube
8 oz can stewed chopped tomatoes
1/2 tsp mild ground chile
1/4 tsp cumin
dash oregano
salt & pepper to taste
about a cup of water

brown chorizo, drain fat and reserve 2 TB of the fat
lightly brown the pasta in the chorizo drippings, add rest of ingredients,
cover and simmer of low heat about 10 mins or until liquid is absorbed.

a meatier good quality chorizo is prefered for this dish- some have way too
much fat and cook down to something like spicy mystery meat paste swimming in
grease

you can sustitute any ground meat for the chorizo but add a bit more fat and
spices

adding too much water will turn this into mush

enjoy
Ferrante

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 02:27:18 GMT, "Ed Grabau and Pam Jacoby" <pjjehg
@frontiernet.net> wrote:

>Oh, yes, Ed and I do something similar. We sauté some shrimp in EVOO with
>garlic and some Chinese chili oil. We don't cook the tomatoes; rather, we
>add them fresh after everything has been tossed in the bowl, and let them be
>heated by the rest of the dish.

Silly me, but what is EVOO?

Thanks,
Mark Ferrante