FoodBanter.com

-   -   Poblano peppers (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/426646-poblano-peppers.html)

zxcvbob 08-12-2013 09:43 PM

Poblano peppers

I went to Cub Foods yesterday to get some poblanos (rather than use the
jalapeņos I had already) to make a turkey enchilada hotdish for a church
potluck -- I didn't want the dish to be too hot for the elderly
Norwegians. I was chopping and mixing everything, and I ate a piece of
poblano. It was hot, almost like a jalapeņo. It was too late to take
them out, although at least I caught it with just 1 1/2 peppers in the
dish rather than all 3 that I bought. There were enough bland
ingredients mixed with it that I had no idea whether it would turn out
hot or not, so I warned people that it *might* be hot, I really didn't
know.

The dish smelled hot, but actually just had a little heat to it. Most
people took a tiny portion, but then went back for 2nds and 3rds. I
almost didn't have to wash the pan afterward, it was licked clean; this
was a big 4 liter lasagna pan heaping full, and a just small group of
people.

I need to go back to Cub and get more of those peppers for make chile
rellenos.

Bob

Pearl F. Buck 09-12-2013 05:34 AM

Poblano peppers

On 12/8/2013 10:14 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
As you've found out.
Omelet wrote:

He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

But Steven, you ARE _everyone's_ ideal psycho!!!!

Janet Bostwick 09-12-2013 06:10 AM

Poblano peppers

On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 23:14:04 -0600, Sqwertz
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 15:43:31 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:

I was chopping and mixing everything, and I ate a piece of
poblano. It was hot, almost like a jalapeņo.

Poblanos (incorrectly called Pasillas in Northern CA) can vary greatly
in heat, even within the same batch. As you've found out. They can
range in heat from anywhere between a green pepper (capsicum) up to a
mild regular jalapeno (not those mutant heatless ones).

-sw

I was very careless with a couple of them a couple of weeks ago. It
took 8-10 hours for my hands to stop burning. That was nothing like
my previous experience with Poblano peppers. I generally buy them for
flavor, not heat.
Janet US