FoodBanter.com

-   -   Poblano peppers (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/426646-poblano-peppers.html)

zxcvbob 08-12-2013 09:43 PM

Poblano peppers

I went to Cub Foods yesterday to get some poblanos (rather than use the
jalapeņos I had already) to make a turkey enchilada hotdish for a church
potluck -- I didn't want the dish to be too hot for the elderly
Norwegians. I was chopping and mixing everything, and I ate a piece of
poblano. It was hot, almost like a jalapeņo. It was too late to take
them out, although at least I caught it with just 1 1/2 peppers in the
dish rather than all 3 that I bought. There were enough bland
ingredients mixed with it that I had no idea whether it would turn out
hot or not, so I warned people that it *might* be hot, I really didn't
know.

The dish smelled hot, but actually just had a little heat to it. Most
people took a tiny portion, but then went back for 2nds and 3rds. I
almost didn't have to wash the pan afterward, it was licked clean; this
was a big 4 liter lasagna pan heaping full, and a just small group of
people.

I need to go back to Cub and get more of those peppers for make chile
rellenos.

Bob

Pearl F. Buck 09-12-2013 05:34 AM

Poblano peppers

On 12/8/2013 10:14 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> As you've found out.
>> Omelet wrote:
>>
>>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

>> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
>> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
>> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
>> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
>> meds.

> For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
> you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
> going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
> total blue.
>
> After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
> years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
> romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
> MOVING IN WITH YOU?
>
> That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
> screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
> spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
> down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
> he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
> at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
> years.
>
> Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
> your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
> and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
> prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
> There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.
>
> And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
> grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
> in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
> about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
> if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
> manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.
>
> Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.
>
> -sw

But Steven, you ARE _everyone's_ ideal psycho!!!!

Janet Bostwick 09-12-2013 06:10 AM

Poblano peppers

On Sun, 8 Dec 2013 23:14:04 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 15:43:31 -0600, zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> I was chopping and mixing everything, and I ate a piece of
>> poblano. It was hot, almost like a jalapeņo.

>Poblanos (incorrectly called Pasillas in Northern CA) can vary greatly
>in heat, even within the same batch. As you've found out. They can
>range in heat from anywhere between a green pepper (capsicum) up to a
>mild regular jalapeno (not those mutant heatless ones).
>
>-sw

I was very careless with a couple of them a couple of weeks ago. It
took 8-10 hours for my hands to stop burning. That was nothing like
my previous experience with Poblano peppers. I generally buy them for
flavor, not heat.
Janet US