Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ping Cheri

Was just thinking about your cookies that didn't crinkle. Could you have
old baking soda/powder? Just a thought.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Was just thinking about your cookies that didn't crinkle. Could you have
> old baking soda/powder? Just a thought.

I was thinking that too Julie, but when I did Hizzoner's recipe it worked
fine and it was the same baking soda. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Was just thinking about your cookies that didn't crinkle. Could you have
>> old baking soda/powder? Just a thought.

> I was thinking that too Julie, but when I did Hizzoner's recipe it worked
> fine and it was the same baking soda. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Very strange then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 23:40:10 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >> Was just thinking about your cookies that didn't crinkle. Could you have
> >> old baking soda/powder? Just a thought.

> > I was thinking that too Julie, but when I did Hizzoner's recipe it worked
> > fine and it was the same baking soda. Thanks for the suggestion though.

> Very strange then.

I'd never given baking soda a second thought until 5 or so years ago
when something or other didn't turn out and DD told me to look at the
date on the box. By golly, it was 3 years out of date. Bought a new
box, tried the recipe again and it worked. Whoda thunk? I'm much
better about keeping an eye on the date of baking soda and baking
powder now. Too bad they don't sell smaller sizes of each because I
hardly make a dent in them before I need to toss them out. I'm using
more baking soda now that I have ss pots & pans. The trick that makes
a paste of baking soda and peroxide works to keep them looking good...
but I've only used half the box and the expiration date is coming up
in January.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 05:19:27 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 23:40:10 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>> > I was thinking that too Julie, but when I did Hizzoner's recipe it worked
>> > fine and it was the same baking soda. Thanks for the suggestion though.

>> Very strange then.

>I'd never given baking soda a second thought until 5 or so years ago
>when something or other didn't turn out and DD told me to look at the
>date on the box. By golly, it was 3 years out of date. Bought a new
>box, tried the recipe again and it worked. Whoda thunk? I'm much
>better about keeping an eye on the date of baking soda and baking
>powder now. Too bad they don't sell smaller sizes of each because I
>hardly make a dent in them before I need to toss them out. I'm using
>more baking soda now that I have ss pots & pans. The trick that makes
>a paste of baking soda and peroxide works to keep them looking good...
>but I've only used half the box and the expiration date is coming up
>in January.

Baking soda has lots of uses other than baking. It is great for
absorbing odors in the refrigerator, softening water, cleaning more
than just stainless steel. I can get it in 8 or 16 ounce boxes.

I can get baking powder in a 4 ounce tin. Lasts me about 1 year.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 05:19:27 -0800, sf > wrote:

snip
>I'd never given baking soda a second thought until 5 or so years ago
>when something or other didn't turn out and DD told me to look at the
>date on the box. By golly, it was 3 years out of date. Bought a new
>box, tried the recipe again and it worked. Whoda thunk? I'm much
>better about keeping an eye on the date of baking soda and baking
>powder now. Too bad they don't sell smaller sizes of each because I
>hardly make a dent in them before I need to toss them out. I'm using
>more baking soda now that I have ss pots & pans. The trick that makes
>a paste of baking soda and peroxide works to keep them looking good...
>but I've only used half the box and the expiration date is coming up
>in January.

Check the bulk area of your supermarket. Mine carries baking soda and
baking powder. Keep your old containers, buy as much as you want and
put a date on the old container. I've been very satisfied with this
method for several years now.
Years ago, there were several men on this group that insisted that
baking soda never gets old.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 12:06:21 -0500, The Cook >
wrote:

snip

>Baking soda has lots of uses other than baking. It is great for
>absorbing odors in the refrigerator, softening water, cleaning more
>than just stainless steel. I can get it in 8 or 16 ounce boxes.
>
>I can get baking powder in a 4 ounce tin. Lasts me about 1 year.

My husband uses baking soda when he is cleaning battery terminals on
the vehicles.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 11:08:25 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 05:19:27 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> snip
> >I'd never given baking soda a second thought until 5 or so years ago
> >when something or other didn't turn out and DD told me to look at the
> >date on the box. By golly, it was 3 years out of date. Bought a new
> >box, tried the recipe again and it worked. Whoda thunk? I'm much
> >better about keeping an eye on the date of baking soda and baking
> >powder now. Too bad they don't sell smaller sizes of each because I
> >hardly make a dent in them before I need to toss them out. I'm using
> >more baking soda now that I have ss pots & pans. The trick that makes
> >a paste of baking soda and peroxide works to keep them looking good...
> >but I've only used half the box and the expiration date is coming up
> >in January.

> Check the bulk area of your supermarket. Mine carries baking soda and
> baking powder. Keep your old containers, buy as much as you want and
> put a date on the old container. I've been very satisfied with this
> method for several years now.
> Years ago, there were several men on this group that insisted that
> baking soda never gets old.
> Janet US

I'm familiar with the bulk areas in 3 stores and have never seen those
items in them! Now I'm wondering why. What's EXPENSIVE is cream of
tartar. It would be nice to be able to just buy a little bit as I
need it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 10:55:14 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 11:08:25 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 05:19:27 -0800, sf > wrote:
>>
>> snip
>> >I'd never given baking soda a second thought until 5 or so years ago
>> >when something or other didn't turn out and DD told me to look at the
>> >date on the box. By golly, it was 3 years out of date. Bought a new
>> >box, tried the recipe again and it worked. Whoda thunk? I'm much
>> >better about keeping an eye on the date of baking soda and baking
>> >powder now. Too bad they don't sell smaller sizes of each because I
>> >hardly make a dent in them before I need to toss them out. I'm using
>> >more baking soda now that I have ss pots & pans. The trick that makes
>> >a paste of baking soda and peroxide works to keep them looking good...
>> >but I've only used half the box and the expiration date is coming up
>> >in January.

>> Check the bulk area of your supermarket. Mine carries baking soda and
>> baking powder. Keep your old containers, buy as much as you want and
>> put a date on the old container. I've been very satisfied with this
>> method for several years now.
>> Years ago, there were several men on this group that insisted that
>> baking soda never gets old.
>> Janet US

>I'm familiar with the bulk areas in 3 stores and have never seen those
>items in them! Now I'm wondering why. What's EXPENSIVE is cream of
>tartar. It would be nice to be able to just buy a little bit as I
>need it.

I couldn't get cream of tartar bulk. The other stuff like baking
soda, instant yeast, salt, different kinds of sugar is in the flours
and cereal grains section at my Winco. Sorry you don't have a Winco.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 11:23:06 PM UTC-8, Cheri wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> > Was just thinking about your cookies that didn't crinkle. Could you have

> > old baking soda/powder? Just a thought.

> I was thinking that too Julie, but when I did Hizzoner's recipe it worked
>
> fine and it was the same baking soda. Thanks for the suggestion though.
>

> Cheri

Yaay! I'm so glad they came out for you. I'm always interested in feedback.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 23:40:10 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> > I was thinking that too Julie, but when I did Hizzoner's recipe it
>> > worked
>> > fine and it was the same baking soda. Thanks for the suggestion though.

>> Very strange then.

> I'd never given baking soda a second thought until 5 or so years ago
> when something or other didn't turn out and DD told me to look at the
> date on the box. By golly, it was 3 years out of date. Bought a new
> box, tried the recipe again and it worked. Whoda thunk? I'm much
> better about keeping an eye on the date of baking soda and baking
> powder now. Too bad they don't sell smaller sizes of each because I
> hardly make a dent in them before I need to toss them out. I'm using
> more baking soda now that I have ss pots & pans. The trick that makes
> a paste of baking soda and peroxide works to keep them looking good...
> but I've only used half the box and the expiration date is coming up
> in January.

Yes, I don't use that much either, but with the soda I do dump it down the
sink with some vinegar and salt to keep it clean. The BP can expire without
me noticing it though.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, December 7, 2013 11:23:06 PM UTC-8, Cheri wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>> > Was just thinking about your cookies that didn't crinkle. Could you
>> > have

>> > old baking soda/powder? Just a thought.

>> I was thinking that too Julie, but when I did Hizzoner's recipe it worked
>>
>> fine and it was the same baking soda. Thanks for the suggestion though.
>>

>> Cheri

> Yaay! I'm so glad they came out for you. I'm always interested in
> feedback.

You have wonderful recipes there!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 8, 2013 2:04:22 PM UTC-7, Cheri wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 23:40:10 -0800, "Julie Bove"

> > > wrote:

> >> Very strange then.

> > I'd never given baking soda a second thought until 5 or so years ago

> > when something or other didn't turn out and DD told me to look at the

> > date on the box. By golly, it was 3 years out of date. Bought a new

> > box, tried the recipe again and it worked. Whoda thunk? I'm much

> > better about keeping an eye on the date of baking soda and baking

> > powder now. Too bad they don't sell smaller sizes of each because I

> > hardly make a dent in them before I need to toss them out. I'm using

> > more baking soda now that I have ss pots & pans. The trick that makes

> > a paste of baking soda and peroxide works to keep them looking good...

> > but I've only used half the box and the expiration date is coming up

> > in January.

> Yes, I don't use that much either, but with the soda I do dump it down the sink with some vinegar and salt to keep it clean. The BP can expire without me noticing it though.
>
> Cheri

The vinegar and soda make a totally neutral salt which wont clean too well.

Use either one or the other not both at the same time.

===
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/8/2013 7:17 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Sunday, December 8, 2013 2:04:22 PM UTC-7, Cheri wrote:

>> Yes, I don't use that much either, but with the soda I do dump it down the sink with some vinegar and salt to keep it clean. The BP can expire without me noticing it though.
>>

> The vinegar and soda make a totally neutral salt which wont clean too well.
>
> Use either one or the other not both at the same time.

I use hot vinegar and baking soda to keep drains clean - it's the
violent reaction of the vinegar hitting the bicarb which helps to scour
the walls of the pipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, December 8, 2013 2:04:22 PM UTC-7, Cheri wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 23:40:10 -0800, "Julie Bove"

>> > I'd never given baking soda a second thought until 5 or so years ago

>> > when something or other didn't turn out and DD told me to look at the

>> > date on the box. By golly, it was 3 years out of date. Bought a new

>> > box, tried the recipe again and it worked. Whoda thunk? I'm much

>> > better about keeping an eye on the date of baking soda and baking

>> > powder now. Too bad they don't sell smaller sizes of each because I

>> > hardly make a dent in them before I need to toss them out. I'm using

>> > more baking soda now that I have ss pots & pans. The trick that makes

>> > a paste of baking soda and peroxide works to keep them looking good...

>> > but I've only used half the box and the expiration date is coming up

>> > in January.

>> Yes, I don't use that much either, but with the soda I do dump it down
>> the sink with some vinegar and salt to keep it clean. The BP can expire
>> without me noticing it though.
>>
>> Cheri

> The vinegar and soda make a totally neutral salt which wont clean too
> well.
>
> Use either one or the other not both at the same time.
>
> ===

Sorry, but I do use all three as I was told by a plumber years ago. 1/4 cup
soda, 1/4 cup salt, and 1 cup vinegar. Follow with a pot of boiling water.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 12:35:26 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 10:55:14 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 11:08:25 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 05:19:27 -0800, sf > wrote:
> >>
> >> snip
> >>
> >> Check the bulk area of your supermarket. Mine carries baking soda and
> >> baking powder. Keep your old containers, buy as much as you want and
> >> put a date on the old container. I've been very satisfied with this
> >> method for several years now.
> >> Years ago, there were several men on this group that insisted that
> >> baking soda never gets old.
> >> Janet US

> >I'm familiar with the bulk areas in 3 stores and have never seen those
> >items in them! Now I'm wondering why. What's EXPENSIVE is cream of
> >tartar. It would be nice to be able to just buy a little bit as I
> >need it.

> I couldn't get cream of tartar bulk. The other stuff like baking
> soda, instant yeast, salt, different kinds of sugar is in the flours
> and cereal grains section at my Winco. Sorry you don't have a Winco.

Yeah, it sounds good! I have Rainbow grocery here and it has quite an
extended bulk section, but no baking soda or baking powder although I
can buy yeast... in another area.

ping cheri [email protected] General Cooking 1 19-04-2017 04:39 AM
Ping Cheri (clams) Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 32 30-01-2015 10:36 AM
ping Cheri Ophelia[_11_] General Cooking 6 24-07-2014 06:35 PM
Ping Cheri: artichokes Todd Diabetic 3 01-07-2013 08:27 PM
PING Cheri Nick Cramer Diabetic 7 18-05-2009 02:03 AM