FoodBanter.com

-   -   For the wannabe grammar cops (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/426588-wannabe-grammar-cops.html)

Dave Smith[_1_] 03-12-2013 03:39 PM

For the wannabe grammar cops

http://m.staples.ca/sbdca/en_CA/cre/...s/grammarquiz/

Cindy Hamilton[_3_] 03-12-2013 03:47 PM

For the wannabe grammar cops

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:
>http://m.staples.ca/sbdca/en_CA/cre/...s/grammarquiz/

That was a very easy quiz. Nevertheless, I got one wrong (whom).

Cindy Hamilton

[email protected] 03-12-2013 04:37 PM

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:39:17 AM UTC-8, Dave Smith wrote:
> http://m.staples.ca/sbdca/en_CA/cre/...s/grammarquiz/

Do homophones bother Canadians?

I always thought K-12 education in Canada was excellent.

Nancy Young[_7_] 03-12-2013 04:56 PM

On 12/3/2013 10:47 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> In article >,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>> http://m.staples.ca/sbdca/en_CA/cre/...s/grammarquiz/

> That was a very easy quiz. Nevertheless, I got one wrong (whom).

Did that make you a grammar guru like me? Heh. That
was easy to ace.

nancy

jmcquown[_2_] 03-12-2013 05:06 PM

On 12/3/2013 11:56 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 12/3/2013 10:47 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Dave Smith > wrote:
>>> http://m.staples.ca/sbdca/en_CA/cre/...s/grammarquiz/

>> That was a very easy quiz. Nevertheless, I got one wrong (whom).

> Did that make you a grammar guru like me? Heh. That
> was easy to ace.
>
> nancy

Yep, I only missed one question and it's not something I'd have
used/said in a sentence (written or spoken) anyway. I guess my many
schools (due to military moving) education paid off. :) Typing
skills... well, I'm pretty good but my brain gets ahead of my fingers
sometimes.

Jill

Roy[_2_] 03-12-2013 05:32 PM

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 8:47:01 AM UTC-7, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> In article >,
>
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> >http://m.staples.ca/sbdca/en_CA/cre/...s/grammarquiz/

> That was a very easy quiz. Nevertheless, I got one wrong (whom).
>

> Cindy Hamilton
>
> --

I got 100% so bite me.

gtr 03-12-2013 07:14 PM

On 2013-12-03 16:56:53 +0000, Nancy Young said:

> On 12/3/2013 10:47 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Dave Smith > wrote:
>>> http://m.staples.ca/sbdca/en_CA/cre/...s/grammarquiz/

>> That was a very easy quiz. Nevertheless, I got one wrong (whom).

> Did that make you a grammar guru like me? Heh. That
> was easy to ace.

It turns out there are vastly more grammar gurus than I would have guessed.

gtr 03-12-2013 07:16 PM

On 2013-12-03 17:32:01 +0000, Roy said:

> On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 8:47:01 AM UTC-7, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> In article >,
>>
>> Dave Smith > wrote:
>>
>>> http://m.staples.ca/sbdca/en_CA/cre/...s/grammarquiz/

>> That was a very easy quiz. Nevertheless, I got one wrong (whom).
>>

>> Cindy Hamilton
>>
>> --

> I got 100% so bite me.

I got one wrong but it's because accidentally clicked the wrong one.
So it was a mechanical error, not an error in my grammar. I'd love to
get a test like this I could flunk. It would be helpful!

Nancy Young[_7_] 03-12-2013 07:53 PM

On 12/3/2013 2:14 PM, gtr wrote:
> On 2013-12-03 16:56:53 +0000, Nancy Young said:
>
>> On 12/3/2013 10:47 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> That was a very easy quiz. Nevertheless, I got one wrong (whom).

>> Did that make you a grammar guru like me? Heh. That
>> was easy to ace.

> It turns out there are vastly more grammar gurus than I would have guessed.

I'd be surprised if most people here didn't nail that quiz.

nancy

sf[_9_] 03-12-2013 09:04 PM

For the wannabe grammar cops

On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 14:53:37 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 12/3/2013 2:14 PM, gtr wrote:

> >> Did that make you a grammar guru like me? Heh. That
> >> was easy to ace.

> > It turns out there are vastly more grammar gurus than I would have guessed.

> I'd be surprised if most people here didn't nail that quiz.

Didn't bother looking at it, mainly because I don't claim to be a good
speller or a grammar guru but bear/bare as in "B____ with me" gets me
every time. Bear is an animal and bare is naked. Neither one makes
sense in that context. We should have a third spelling to use.

What grates on my last nerve when it is misused? fewer/less.

Cindy Hamilton[_3_] 03-12-2013 09:49 PM

sf > wrote:
>On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 14:53:37 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>> > It turns out there are vastly more grammar gurus than I would have guessed.

>> I'd be surprised if most people here didn't nail that quiz.
>>

>Didn't bother looking at it, mainly because I don't claim to be a good
>speller or a grammar guru but bear/bare as in "B____ with me" gets me
>every time. Bear is an animal and bare is naked. Neither one makes
>sense in that context. We should have a third spelling to use.

To bear is also to carry. Please bear with me, and metaphorically
carry the tedium of this post, and its lame metaphor.
("Bear with me" is related to the idea of forbearance.)

Cindy Hamilton

Roy[_2_] 03-12-2013 11:45 PM

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 2:04:17 PM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Dec 2013 14:53:37 -0500, Nancy Young
>
> > wrote:

> > > It turns out there are vastly more grammar gurus than I would have guessed.

> > I'd be surprised if most people here didn't nail that quiz.

> Didn't bother looking at it, mainly because I don't claim to be a good
>
> speller or a grammar guru but bear/bare as in "B____ with me" gets me
>
> every time. Bear is an animal and bare is naked. Neither one makes
>
> sense in that context. We should have a third spelling to use.
>
> What grates on my last nerve when it is misused? fewer/less.

Don't you remember in Church where they mentioned "The cross-eyed-bear"...or was that "bare"? Sometimes hard to select the right one.

===

Kalmia 04-12-2013 01:03 AM

For the wannabe grammar cops

Sheeee-it. Fifth and sixth grade stuff. Aced it, man.

It seems that many people now think it's cool to use "I" when "me" is correct.

"We bought the BMW for both my husband and I to drive." ( Translation: "We have money and my grammar proves it." Ugh.

Who had to drill on the 100 worst words, in reference to spelling?