Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anybody fancy this:

Well many of you say you don't like fruit cake ...

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-934672.html

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

If you know Germany be sure and look at all the pics.

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> Well many of you say you don't like fruit cake ...
>
> http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-934672.html

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> Well many of you say you don't like fruit cake ...
>
> http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-934672.html

I think I will pass. I do like fruitcake. Do not like Stollen although
what I have tried in the past tasted stale and may well have been. Overall
not a fan of meat mixed with fruit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/21/2013 7:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> Well many of you say you don't like fruit cake ...
>
> http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-934672.html

That's just *wrong*.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/21/2013 7:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Well many of you say you don't like fruit cake ...
>>
>> http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-934672.html
>>

> That's just *wrong*.

lol it certainly is to me) Did you look at all the pics?? You've been in
Germany havan't you?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/21/2013 9:21 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 11/21/2013 7:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> Well many of you say you don't like fruit cake ...
>>>
>>> http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-934672.html
>>>

>> That's just *wrong*.

> lol it certainly is to me) Did you look at all the pics?? You've
> been in Germany havan't you?

I did look at all the pics. They don't mean much to me. The only place
I've been in Germany was the airport in Wiesbaden (to change planes).

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:08:31 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-934672.html

I wonder whether it is just an odd form of terrine or something less
savory (in the culinary sense).? I like fruit with pork, so maybe
this would be fine, though eating it unheated seems wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/21/2013 9:21 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> That's just *wrong*.

>> lol it certainly is to me) Did you look at all the pics?? You've
>> been in Germany havan't you?
>>

> I did look at all the pics. They don't mean much to me. The only place
> I've been in Germany was the airport in Wiesbaden (to change planes).

Ahh ok. The Christmas markets are wonderful everywhere and the one in photo
8 was typical

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"B. Server" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:08:31 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-934672.html

> I wonder whether it is just an odd form of terrine or something less
> savory (in the culinary sense).? I like fruit with pork, so maybe
> this would be fine, though eating it unheated seems wrong.

I like most German stuff but that is taking it a wee bit too far ....

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/21/2013 10:21 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> lol it certainly is to me) Did you look at all the pics?? You've
>>> been in Germany havan't you?
>>>

>> I did look at all the pics. They don't mean much to me. The only place
>> I've been in Germany was the airport in Wiesbaden (to change planes).

> Ahh ok. The Christmas markets are wonderful everywhere and the one in
> photo
> 8 was typical

I have seen some wonderful documentaries about Christmas markets and
displays in Germany on public television. And toys!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>> Ahh ok. The Christmas markets are wonderful everywhere and the one in
>> photo
>> 8 was typical
>>

> I have seen some wonderful documentaries about Christmas markets and
> displays in Germany on public television. And toys!

And warm gluhwein - yuck

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 15:26:37 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> I like most German stuff but that is taking it a wee bit too far ....

Speaking of German food... found a recipe for Quarkstollen, but quark
isn't easy to find (I know where to buy it, but it's too much trouble
getting there for it to be worth it to me). So, I'm wondering if
Greek yogurt would be a suitable substitute? If you don't know, maybe
your daughter will. TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 15:26:37 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>

>> I like most German stuff but that is taking it a wee bit too far ....

> Speaking of German food... found a recipe for Quarkstollen, but quark
> isn't easy to find (I know where to buy it, but it's too much trouble
> getting there for it to be worth it to me). So, I'm wondering if
> Greek yogurt would be a suitable substitute? If you don't know, maybe
> your daughter will. TIA

I'll try to remember to ask

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
>>> Ahh ok. The Christmas markets are wonderful everywhere and the one in
>>> photo
>>> 8 was typical
>>>

>> I have seen some wonderful documentaries about Christmas markets and
>> displays in Germany on public television. And toys!

> And warm gluhwein - yuck

yum!

haven't been to the Weinachtsmarkts but my wife enjoyed them a lot
when she lived in Vienna

It seems if you run into some germanic types in the U.S. they tend to
find each other and continue these traditions here... it's very un
American, I like it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"tert in seattle" > wrote in message

>>> I have seen some wonderful documentaries about Christmas markets and
>>> displays in Germany on public television. And toys!

>> And warm gluhwein - yuck

> yum!
>
> haven't been to the Weinachtsmarkts but my wife enjoyed them a lot
> when she lived in Vienna

Did you show her the pics .. especially 8 ? I bet that brought back some
nice memories)

)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:08:31 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>Well many of you say you don't like fruit cake ...
>
>http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-934672.html

I like stollen, but that *******ized version looks awful.

This is far better:
http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/...ollen-moments/
Stollen to die for:
http://www.butcherbakerblog.com/2008...olate-stollen/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2013 12:08:31 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>Well many of you say you don't like fruit cake ...
>>
>>http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-934672.html

> I like stollen, but that *******ized version looks awful.

Doesn't it just!!!! I can't believe anyone would eat it! I need to
remember send that url to my daughter

> This is far better:
> http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/...ollen-moments/
> Stollen to die for:
> http://www.butcherbakerblog.com/2008...olate-stollen/

Never tried that chocolate one, only the German ones. Did you look at the
pics of the real thing?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-21 1:50 PM, sf wrote:

>> I like most German stuff but that is taking it a wee bit too far ....

> Speaking of German food... found a recipe for Quarkstollen, but quark
> isn't easy to find (I know where to buy it, but it's too much trouble
> getting there for it to be worth it to me). So, I'm wondering if
> Greek yogurt would be a suitable substitute? If you don't know, maybe
> your daughter will. TIA

And more speaking of German Food.... I recently watched an episode of
You Gotta Eat here that featured a German restaurant called the Black
Forest Inn in Hamilton. My wife and I were coming back from Toronto and
stopped there on our way. I was impressed. The special of the day
was soup (meatball), salad, a huge piece of Schnitzel stuffed with
smoked ham pate, a big serving of spaetzle and a hefty serving of
creamed peas. The soup was amazing. The spaetzle was the best I have
had in years. The Schnitzel was great. I was stuffed so I didn't really
get to the creamed peas.I tried some and they were good .... but
something had to be sacrificed and it was the peas.