Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tidying up my stockpile.

I ordered three of these and they came today.

http://www.ltdcommodities.com/For-th...jump&fm=search

Wasn't sure how well they would work so started with three. They are cheap
enough! Had a heck of a time assembling the first one until I finally
figured out to sort of lay it sideways to snap the two pieces together. And
one had a the spinning portion of the Lazy Susan on the bottom slightly out
of place. Easy fix.

Just ordered 3 more. 3 for the stockpile on the next shelf down (put the
ones I have on the top shelf), 1 for next to my stove (this is where I put
old stuff that needs to be used up or whatever canned things I am planning
to use that day or the next) and 2 more just for the heck of it. It is
possible by re-configuring the other soda can holders (different design)
that I have out there that I will be able to fit those on another shelf.

The top shelf is very tidy now. All of the beans and tomato products are
where they can't go tumbling down from being stacked two high. And there is
enough room in front of the Lazy Susans to hold other things that wouldn't
necessarily fit in them. Like the giant jar of stuffed green olives that I
sent crashing to the floor while assembling. Thankfully, it didn't break!
And some extra bottles of oil.

Looks like between the stockpile and what is in the house, I have more than
enough food to get me through the winter. Have managed to use up most of
the dried beans and will need to get a can or two of pinto beans. Will be
using the last one in my bean/corn chili this week. But I have plenty of
other vegetables, some canned soup and chili, and broth/stock.

Am doing well in the rice and pasta cupboard. I think I even have most of
what I need for Thanksgiving. Am planning to make a cherry pie (canned
filling) and will probably buy a small pumpkin one. Need to locate some
turkey legs for husband and some good bread for stuffing. Bought some
gourmet jarred cranberry sauce from Central Market. None of us are big into
that so just a taste will do. It's a small jar.

Now... Just to find enough days in the week for all the meals that I want
to make! I keep trying to plan things out to use up what I have but I have
to keep pushing some things into the next week. Will be making the chicken
that my husband loves on Wed. Think I might also make some of that pasta
salad. Perhaps half a batch. Angela really liked it after I doctored it
up. Thanks to all who made suggestions! Then whatever we can find in the
freezer on Thu. Need to free up some space! And my vegetarian bean/corn
chili on Friday. That makes a big pot so that will carry us through the
weekend, I hope!

Are ya'll prepared for the winter? I am!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:40:35 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> I ordered three of these and they came today.
>
> http://www.ltdcommodities.com/For-th...jump&fm=search

I can't imagine wanting to own such a product as those storage units.
Store the cans in the cases they came in...takes up far less space
than those round thingies.
===

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 02:40:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I ordered three of these and they came today.
>
>http://www.ltdcommodities.com/For-th...jump&fm=search
>
>Wasn't sure how well they would work so started with three. They are cheap
>enough!

Solves nothing, in fact wastes a LOT of space... they'll even waste
space when you toss them in the recyclable bin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 09:48:42 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:40:35 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> > I ordered three of these and they came today.
> >
> > http://www.ltdcommodities.com/For-th...jump&fm=search
> >

> I can't imagine wanting to own such a product as those storage units.
> Store the cans in the cases they came in...takes up far less space
> than those round thingies.

Lazy susans work and I've used them for decades, but I don't buy
anything by the case. If I did, your suggestion would work for me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2013 1:30 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 02:40:35 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I ordered three of these and they came today.
>>
>> http://www.ltdcommodities.com/For-th...jump&fm=search

> The whole purpose of Lazy Susan-type devices is to bring items from
> the back to the front. Something that is only 8" wide doesn't do that
> effectively. And the round footprint only end up taking more space
> than a square of the same diameter.
>
> More useless crap for shopaholics.
>
> -sw

Unless you happen to have arthritic hands and find reaching around and
back to be difficult.

Maybe you'll get lucky and miss that chapter of the aging process.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:40:35 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I ordered three of these and they came today.
>>
>> http://www.ltdcommodities.com/For-th...jump&fm=search
>>

> I can't imagine wanting to own such a product as those storage units.
> Store the cans in the cases they came in...takes up far less space
> than those round thingies.

Although I occasionally buy things by the case at Costco, I generally do not
buy that much at one time. I have tried storing in the case. It actually
take up *more* space and it creates problems. For instance, the cases from
Costco are opened at the end. So you have to keep reaching inside the case
to get at the contents. This can create a problem when you have only one
or two cans left in there. Plus they are usually put in the case only one
high. If you stack two cases, one atop the other, you do have problems when
the bottom one is nearly empty.

Some things, I am the only one who eats them so I only buy one or two cans.
Like beets and potatoes. So it's nice to be able to have these units!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 02:40:35 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I ordered three of these and they came today.
>>
>>http://www.ltdcommodities.com/For-th...jump&fm=search
>>
>>Wasn't sure how well they would work so started with three. They are
>>cheap
>>enough!

> Solves nothing, in fact wastes a LOT of space... they'll even waste
> space when you toss them in the recyclable bin.

Well, I know what the shelf was like before and I know what it is like now.
Solves a lot of things!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 09:48:42 -0800 (PST), Roy >
> wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:40:35 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > I ordered three of these and they came today.
>> >
>> > http://www.ltdcommodities.com/For-th...jump&fm=search
>> >

>> I can't imagine wanting to own such a product as those storage units.
>> Store the cans in the cases they came in...takes up far less space
>> than those round thingies.

> Lazy susans work and I've used them for decades, but I don't buy
> anything by the case. If I did, your suggestion would work for me.

We would never be able to eat up most things before they went bad if I
bought by the case. I tried that when I first got my Costco membership and
wound up throwing out a lot of expired food. And yes, things like tomatoes
do go bad in the can.

For most things I buy an extra 2-6 of whatever it is. I do buy more kidney
beans and the vegetarian beans that Angela likes. Also more refried because
those get eaten quickly and several times a week. But something like corn
is eaten rarely. And canned carrots even more rarely. The carrots would be
more of an emergency food to me. Something I would add to a soup after
being snowed in for a week and unable to get out to get fresh. So if I do
have them, it would be one small can. And I would keep it in the stockpile
rather than in the small lazy Susan cupboard here in the house. Currently I
have a dried soup mix that includes carrots, celery and some other things so
no need for canned.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 02:40:35 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I ordered three of these and they came today.
>>
>> http://www.ltdcommodities.com/For-th...jump&fm=search

> The whole purpose of Lazy Susan-type devices is to bring items from
> the back to the front. Something that is only 8" wide doesn't do that
> effectively. And the round footprint only end up taking more space
> than a square of the same diameter.
>
> More useless crap for shopaholics.

Well, they are working for me! And I doubt where you live that you would
need to stockpile food for the winter. You probably don't get snowed in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pearl Buck" > wrote in message
> On 11/19/2013 1:30 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 02:40:35 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I ordered three of these and they came today.
>>>
>>> http://www.ltdcommodities.com/For-th...jump&fm=search

>> The whole purpose of Lazy Susan-type devices is to bring items from
>> the back to the front. Something that is only 8" wide doesn't do that
>> effectively. And the round footprint only end up taking more space
>> than a square of the same diameter.
>>
>> More useless crap for shopaholics.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Unless you happen to have arthritic hands and find reaching around and
> back to be difficult.
>
> Maybe you'll get lucky and miss that chapter of the aging process.

The problems I was having were... Trying to reach to the back side of the
shelf and accidentally knocking things off. Or merely bumping into the
shelf (it's in a rather confined area) and the things at the edges on the
top layer would fall off.

Because there is a sort of depression and slightly raised area to hold the
cans in these, they are much less likely to fall off of them easily.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2013 3:30 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 02:40:35 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I ordered three of these and they came today.
>>
>> http://www.ltdcommodities.com/For-th...jump&fm=search

> The whole purpose of Lazy Susan-type devices is to bring items from
> the back to the front. Something that is only 8" wide doesn't do that
> effectively. And the round footprint only end up taking more space
> than a square of the same diameter.
>
> More useless crap for shopaholics.
>
> -sw

That particular thing is designed for cans of soda pop. Apparently they
drink a *lot* of soft drinks in that household. She's always mentioning
looking for sales on soda. I don't see the point of a double-decker
soda stacker, but whatever. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 15:32:40 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> The whole purpose of Lazy Susan-type devices is to bring items from
>>> the back to the front. Something that is only 8" wide doesn't do that
>>> effectively. And the round footprint only end up taking more space
>>> than a square of the same diameter.
>>>
>>> More useless crap for shopaholics.

>> Well, they are working for me! And I doubt where you live that you would
>> need to stockpile food for the winter. You probably don't get snowed in.

> It sounds like you stockpile whether it's winter or not. How long
> does a snow-in last? A week - tops (I'm sure your house is different
> than everybody else's on your block). I could eat out of my pantry
> and fridge for probably 2 months.

I do when I find things at good prices but I lke to keep extra during the
winter. I have a small fridge, two other tiny ones for drinks which this
time of the year are more of a convenience than anything else. The garage
is cold enough now for drinks.

> Shall we do another pantry challenge?

I don't remember doing one before. And I have no pantry. Which is why I
have to stockpile in the garage.

> Here's just the top two shelves of my pantry.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...5265/lightbox/
> (no beautifying beforehand - page left for the bottom two shelves)
>
> -sw

Well you are single so I would expect you to have less than I do. If that
is all of your seasonings, I have at least 5 times that many, many of them
in very large containers. I don't keep a lot of soup. Perhaps a dozen cans
at most. Usually 2 cans of chili. More than a dozen cans of green beans
because those are a favorite. 2-4 cans of wax. 26 cans of assorted beans
in the garage (mostly kidney) because they were easy to count, once in those
lazy Susans. My lone can of black eyed peas which I eat on New Year's day.

Most of my tomato sauce is the tiny cans. Not ideal but that's what I found
the deal on. Have probably 20 cans of assorted other vegetables that are
not green beans of some sort. And many cans of broth.

I no longer keep much canned meat or fish. Perhaps two cans of tuna, 6 of
chicken. One can of Spam. But we eat a can of black olives per day on most
days so I like to keep about 20 cans of those when I can. I only buy them
when I find a good deal. Also a lot of sugar free fruit spread and sunseed
butter because I usually buy these things by the case. Perhaps one extra
jar of peanut butter.

One entire shelf is dedicated to soda pop. I drink the same thing 98% of
the time. Only drink other stuff if it is really cheap or about to go bad.
Angela alternates between 2-3 drinks and mostly isn't picky. Husband
however expects a wide variety of drinks which is why I bought the beverage
dispensers. I can fill them in a random fashion. That way when he wants
drinks, I just pull a few cans and put them in the fridge. Most of the time
he seems not to care what he is drinking so long as it's not always the same
thing.

In the house, I only have my lazy Susan for canned foods. Hard to tell
really how much can fit in there because of the design. More cans fit
around the outside edge than the inside edge. I just eyeballed it and did
some quick math. Ideally if 16 oz (approx.) cans were used it could hold
about 200. But... I never keep it all the way full because it is too heavy
and unwieldy. I do have other sizes of cans. I do have lots of mustard
because husband loves assorted mustards. Some salad dressing. I always
keep one Italian type (for pasta salad) and honey mustard (husband's
favorite). I also have a Ranch in there, I think purchased when the store
was out of the honey mustard. Some little cans like you do of various
Mexican products. I no longer buy the salad/cracker thingies because nobody
was eating them. I might keep extra ketchup in the garage, but rarely extra
mayo because we don't use much of it. I do currently have two egg free
jars, not realizing that I could purchase that locally. They keep it
refrigerated at Central Market!

But there are some other odd shaped things in there. Some cups of vegan
soup and rice products like those cup noodles. Various brands of salsa.
The red sauce with meat in it. So... Due to the size, design of some of
these packages, nothing can be stacked on them or... Like the noodle cups,
they have to sit on top of other things.

There really is no good way to organize the lazy Susan well due to the
design. I would venture to guess though that we could easily live for a
month on what is in there. Perhaps two months but towards the end we'd be
lacking in protein. I try to keep at least one can of whatever it is, in
the house. More if it is something we eat frequently. But because we do
eat so many beans, I just find that it is easier to keep most of those in
the garage. The garage is not that far away from the kitchen so not a big
deal to walk out there.

I do have one other lazy Susan for baking things, one small cupboard for
oils and vinegar. One for spices. A somewhat larger one for rice, pasta
and instant potatoes. And a shelf in the dining room that holds my
Crockpots, and also cereal, crackers and chips. Also have a few food items
on top of my fridge. And a corner cupboard that holds various things,
including food that won't fit elsewhere. Like gravy/sauce packets.
Applesauce cups and granola bars.

All in all, a crappy design for a kitchen. But I can't say that I would
like your pantry design much either. I'd always be digging for what was in
the back.

And while military housing left much to be desired, every place I lived in
had an excellent pantry! Most had a top section that was great for paper
goods and the lower section was perfect for canned goods. I could make a
row of each food, two high, all the way to the deep back so probably 12 cans
deep. Yes, it could require digging in a row of say...soup...because while
it was all soup, there were different kinds in there. But I easily had room
in there for over a month's worth of food.

Also for the most part when I lived in military housing, I had no need
monetarily to stockpile because we generally only shopped at the commissary
where pretty much everything was cheap all the time. Here, that is not the
case. I have to look for the sales and stock up when things do go on sale.
The refried beans for instance. They were 86 cents a can which is a great
price! I will need more now and will likely have to pay $1 or more per can.
Not a great difference, I know but... I guess I am just cheap! And yes, I
know I can cook my own. I used to do that all the time. But I just don't
have the refrigerator space to keep a big pot of beans in there all the
time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/19/2013 3:30 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 02:40:35 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I ordered three of these and they came today.
>>>
>>> http://www.ltdcommodities.com/For-th...jump&fm=search

>> The whole purpose of Lazy Susan-type devices is to bring items from
>> the back to the front. Something that is only 8" wide doesn't do that
>> effectively. And the round footprint only end up taking more space
>> than a square of the same diameter.
>>
>> More useless crap for shopaholics.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> That particular thing is designed for cans of soda pop. Apparently they
> drink a *lot* of soft drinks in that household. She's always mentioning
> looking for sales on soda. I don't see the point of a double-decker soda
> stacker, but whatever. LOL

We do drink tons of it but I have that in dispensers, at least for my
husband. Angela and I tend to drink the same things so I can just leave
ours in the 12 packs. The instructions say that it will hold a variety of
can sizes from about 16 oz. down. Don't think it would hold larger. When
full, one will hold 13, 16 oz cans. With smaller cans, you can stack them.
Using them really did free up space for me. Might not work for sw in his
pantry but I have wire shelves that are far apart. Because of the wires,
the cans don't necessarily sit flat and if I stack them they are even more
unwieldy. Yes, it pains me to pay for these but... After several years of
use, the cost will dissipate. And I won't have any more dented cans from
things falling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2013 6:02 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 15:32:40 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> The whole purpose of Lazy Susan-type devices is to bring items from
>>> the back to the front. Something that is only 8" wide doesn't do that
>>> effectively. And the round footprint only end up taking more space
>>> than a square of the same diameter.
>>>
>>> More useless crap for shopaholics.

>> Well, they are working for me! And I doubt where you live that you would
>> need to stockpile food for the winter. You probably don't get snowed in.

> It sounds like you stockpile whether it's winter or not. How long
> does a snow-in last? A week - tops (I'm sure your house is different
> than everybody else's on your block). I could eat out of my pantry
> and fridge for probably 2 months.
>
> Shall we do another pantry challenge?
>
> Here's just the top two shelves of my pantry.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...5265/lightbox/
> (no beautifying beforehand - page left for the bottom two shelves)
>
> -sw

Why are you such an exhibitionist?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2013 7:46 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I'm not single. I cook for two 4 days out of the week (3 days every
> other week).

Is that because the Wendy's "grill girl" you claimed to be "banging"
handles the rest of it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 17:48:24 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 15:32:40 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Shall we do another pantry challenge?

>> I don't remember doing one before. And I have no pantry. Which is why I
>> have to stockpile in the garage.
>>
>>> Here's just the top two shelves of my pantry.
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...5265/lightbox/
>>> (no beautifying beforehand - page left for the bottom two shelves)

>> Well you are single so I would expect you to have less than I do. If
>> that
>> is all of your seasonings, I have at least 5 times that many, many of
>> them
>> in very large containers.

> I'm not single. I cook for two 4 days out of the week (3 days every
> other week).

My mistake then. When my daughter and I were the only ones here, I didn't
need to keep nearly the amount of food here as I do when husband is home.

> You can only see about 1/15th of my seasonings in that picture. That
> goes back 18" and I have 2 spice racks, and a spice "file drawer"
> where I keep my plastic bags of spices I buy in bulk.

Ah, okay. I did have more in the past but since I don't bake much now and I
can't have cloves, allspice, lovage, thyme or tarragon and daughter can't
have basil, those are gone.

> I have no use for "large containers" of spices. since I can buy them a
> little at a time in the bulk sections.

Okay. I buy a few things at Costco and some at American spice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:30:16 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

> The whole purpose of Lazy Susan-type devices is to bring items from
> the back to the front. Something that is only 8" wide doesn't do that
> effectively. And the round footprint only end up taking more space
> than a square of the same diameter.
>
> More useless crap for shopaholics.
>
> -sw

True. What we really want is a square lazy susan.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/13 9:46 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> I'm not single. I cook for two 4 days out of the week (3 days every
> other week).

Canned green and waxed yellow beans? I'm shocked! 8

Maybe they're for donating to Goodwill?

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/21/2013 3:59 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 11:24:09 -0800 (PST), Helpful person wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:30:16 PM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:
>>>
>>> The whole purpose of Lazy Susan-type devices is to bring items from
>>> the back to the front. Something that is only 8" wide doesn't do that
>>> effectively. And the round footprint only end up taking more space
>>> than a square of the same diameter.
>>>
>>> More useless crap for shopaholics.

>> True. What we really want is a square lazy susan.

> Don't exert yourself being so obtuse on my account, dude. You know
> exactly what I was implying.
>
> Helpful Dick.
>
> -sw

Hateful troll.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/22/2013 3:32 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> (*) Blow me, Sheldon. I know you want to.

You sweet talker you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 22, 2013 6:20:35 PM UTC-5, Pearl Buck wrote:
> On 11/22/2013 3:32 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > (*) Blow me, Sheldon. I know you want to.

> You sweet talker you.

Obsess much, boner house?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:40:35 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> Now... Just to find enough days in the week for all the meals that I want
>
> to make!

What a load of B.S. You'll be here runnin' yer mouth about nothing and you know it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:52:40 PM UTC-5, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 11/19/13 9:46 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>

> > I'm not single. I cook for two 4 days out of the week (3 days every

> > other week).

> Canned green and waxed yellow beans? I'm shocked! 8
>

> Maybe they're for donating to Goodwill?

It's a hurricane larder.