FoodBanter.com

-   -   Corned Beef (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/426349-corned-beef.html)

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 05:45 PM

Corned Beef

I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I always
though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help preserve it.
Can anyone elucidate please?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

jmcquown[_2_] 16-11-2013 05:49 PM

Corned Beef

On 11/16/2013 11:45 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I
> always though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help
> preserve it.
> Can anyone elucidate please?

What the cattle eat has nothing to do with it. It's salt-cured beef.
According to Wiki, "The term comes from the treatment of the meat with
"corns" of salt."

Jill

Gary 16-11-2013 05:57 PM

Corned Beef

Ophelia wrote:

> I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I always
> though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help preserve it.
> Can anyone elucidate please?

Corned beef, fish....corned anything refers to soaking it in a
super-saturated salt brine before putting away. Has nothing to do with
the vegetable corn. :)

G.

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 06:02 PM

Corned Beef

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I always
>> though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help preserve
>> it.
>> Can anyone elucidate please?

> Corned beef, fish....corned anything refers to soaking it in a
> super-saturated salt brine before putting away.

Is it first salted and then dried?

Has nothing to do with
> the vegetable corn. :)

Thanks, Gary. That is how I understood it too but I wasn't sure. I've
never seen that here, the only corned beef we get is canned and is very
salty.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

jmcquown[_2_] 16-11-2013 06:30 PM

Corned Beef

On 11/16/2013 12:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I
>>> always
>>> though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help preserve
>>> it.
>>> Can anyone elucidate please?

>> Corned beef, fish....corned anything refers to soaking it in a
>> super-saturated salt brine before putting away.

> Is it first salted and then dried?
>
> Has nothing to do with
>> the vegetable corn. :)

> Thanks, Gary. That is how I understood it too but I wasn't sure. I've
> never seen that here, the only corned beef we get is canned and is very
> salty.

You can make your own, if you've a mind to. :) Here's a step-by-step
with pictures of the process for a 5 lb. brisket:

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...d_corned_beef/

Jill

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 06:34 PM

Corned Beef

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:57:45 -0500, Gary wrote:
>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I
>>> always
>>> though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help preserve
>>> it.
>>> Can anyone elucidate please?

>> Corned beef, fish....corned anything refers to soaking it in a
>> super-saturated salt brine before putting away. Has nothing to do with
>> the vegetable corn. :)

> Corned beef may not involve a brine. And the solution is not
> supersaturated, nor even saturated. Saturation occurs around 45% salt
> to water. Corned beef in a brine is made with a 5-10% salt solution.
>
> You can also corn beef with just salt - no solution required. But no,
> it has nothing to do with the cows eating corn. Corned beef (and salt
> beef) has been around much longer than the practice of corn feeding
> cows.

Thanks:) I see that corned beef is salted to some degree, is it ever then
dried?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 06:43 PM

Corned Beef

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/16/2013 12:02 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Corned beef, fish....corned anything refers to soaking it in a
>>> super-saturated salt brine before putting away.

>> Is it first salted and then dried?
>>
>> Has nothing to do with
>>> the vegetable corn. :)

>> Thanks, Gary. That is how I understood it too but I wasn't sure. I've
>> never seen that here, the only corned beef we get is canned and is very
>> salty.
>>

> You can make your own, if you've a mind to. :) Here's a step-by-step with
> pictures of the process for a 5 lb. brisket:
>
> http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...d_corned_beef/

Thank you very much for that! We might just give it a try! Can I ask ...
later in
the recipe it says 'cover' with one inch of water ??? Does that literally
mean cover it completely with water, with one inch extra water extra over
the
top of the meat ... Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it very
spicy?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 06:48 PM

Corned Beef

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 17:34:38 -0000, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Corned beef may not involve a brine. And the solution is not
>>> supersaturated, nor even saturated. Saturation occurs around 45% salt
>>> to water. Corned beef in a brine is made with a 5-10% salt solution.
>>>
>>> You can also corn beef with just salt - no solution required. But no,
>>> it has nothing to do with the cows eating corn. Corned beef (and salt
>>> beef) has been around much longer than the practice of corn feeding
>>> cows.

>> Thanks:) I see that corned beef is salted to some degree, is it ever
>> then
>> dried?

> Only if you're making bresoala.

Ok thanks.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Graham 16-11-2013 07:25 PM

Corned Beef

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Is it first salted and then dried?
>>>
>>> Has nothing to do with
>>>
>>> Thanks, Gary. That is how I understood it too but I wasn't sure. I've
>>> never seen that here, the only corned beef we get is canned and is very
>>> salty.
>>>

>> You can make your own, if you've a mind to. :) Here's a step-by-step
>> with
>> pictures of the process for a 5 lb. brisket:
>>
>> http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...d_corned_beef/

> Thank you very much for that! We might just give it a try! Can I ask ...
> later in
> the recipe it says 'cover' with one inch of water ??? Does that
> literally
> mean cover it completely with water, with one inch extra water extra over
> the
> top of the meat ... Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it very
> spicy?

The Suffolk butcher used to salt beef and sometimes pork. The former is what
is called corned beef in the US.
If you want to try some really good corned/salt beef where you are, try and
find a Jewish deli.
Graham

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 07:30 PM

Corned Beef

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> You can make your own, if you've a mind to. :) Here's a step-by-step
>>> with
>>> pictures of the process for a 5 lb. brisket:
>>>
>>> http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...d_corned_beef/

>> Thank you very much for that! We might just give it a try! Can I ask
>> ... later in
>> the recipe it says 'cover' with one inch of water ??? Does that
>> literally
>> mean cover it completely with water, with one inch extra water extra over
>> the
>> top of the meat ... Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it
>> very
>> spicy?

> The Suffolk butcher used to salt beef and sometimes pork. The former is
> what is called corned beef in the US.
> If you want to try some really good corned/salt beef where you are, try
> and find a Jewish deli.

Ok I'll have a look around:) Thanks, Graham!
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

jmcquown[_2_] 16-11-2013 07:39 PM

Corned Beef

On 11/16/2013 12:43 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Is it first salted and then dried?
>>>
>>> Has nothing to do with
>>>
>>> Thanks, Gary. That is how I understood it too but I wasn't sure. I've
>>> never seen that here, the only corned beef we get is canned and is very
>>> salty.
>>>

>> You can make your own, if you've a mind to. :) Here's a step-by-step
>> with
>> pictures of the process for a 5 lb. brisket:
>>
>> http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...d_corned_beef/

> Thank you very much for that! We might just give it a try! Can I ask
> ... later in
> the recipe it says 'cover' with one inch of water ??? Does that literally
> mean cover it completely with water, with one inch extra water extra
> over the
> top of the meat ...

That's how I interpret cover with water.

Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it very
> spicy?

Caveat: I've never corned a brisket, myself.

The ones I buy aren't spicy as in hot. I know you don't like spicy
food. :) Corned beef is salty. But not overly much for my tastebuds.
(It's not as if I eat it every day.) Aside from for dinner, thinly
sliced hot corned beef makes for great sandwiches. :)

Looking again at the recipe, I would say you can leave out pretty much
anything that would make it too spicy for you. Do you ever make
pickles? If you do, I'd say use the combination of pickling spices
you're comfortable with. The salt seems to be the important component.

Jill

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 07:47 PM

Corned Beef

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/16/2013 12:43 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> You can make your own, if you've a mind to. :) Here's a step-by-step
>>> with
>>> pictures of the process for a 5 lb. brisket:
>>>
>>> http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...d_corned_beef/

>> Thank you very much for that! We might just give it a try! Can I ask
>> ... later in
>> the recipe it says 'cover' with one inch of water ??? Does that
>> literally
>> mean cover it completely with water, with one inch extra water extra
>> over the
>> top of the meat ...

> That's how I interpret cover with water.
>
> Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it very
>> spicy?
>>

> Caveat: I've never corned a brisket, myself.
>
> The ones I buy aren't spicy as in hot. I know you don't like spicy food.
> :) Corned beef is salty. But not overly much for my tastebuds. (It's not
> as if I eat it every day.) Aside from for dinner, thinly sliced hot
> corned beef makes for great sandwiches. :)
>
> Looking again at the recipe, I would say you can leave out pretty much
> anything that would make it too spicy for you. Do you ever make pickles?
> If you do, I'd say use the combination of pickling spices you're
> comfortable with. The salt seems to be the important component.

Thanks, Jill! I think i will take Graham's advice and see if we like it,
then if we do, I will try that recipe:)) I am pleased that I can leave out
the very spicy stuff which is what I do when pickling. Thanks again, most
helpful:))

Now to look for a Jewish Deli in Glasgow:))
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

brooklyn1 16-11-2013 08:00 PM

Corned Beef

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:49:46 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/16/2013 11:45 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I
>> always though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help
>> preserve it.
>> Can anyone elucidate please?
>>

>What the cattle eat has nothing to do with it. It's salt-cured beef.
>According to Wiki, "The term comes from the treatment of the meat with
>"corns" of salt."

Like corn bread, course milled grain is corn/korn. Calling maize corn
is a Euro thing, because of the maize kernals.

James Silverton[_4_] 16-11-2013 08:00 PM

Corned Beef

On 11/16/2013 1:47 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> Thank you very much for that! We might just give it a try! Can I ask
>>> ... later in
>>> the recipe it says 'cover' with one inch of water ??? Does that
>>> literally
>>> mean cover it completely with water, with one inch extra water extra
>>> over the
>>> top of the meat ...

>> That's how I interpret cover with water.
>>
>> Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it very
>>> spicy?
>>>

>> Caveat: I've never corned a brisket, myself.
>>
>> The ones I buy aren't spicy as in hot. I know you don't like spicy
>> food. :) Corned beef is salty. But not overly much for my tastebuds.
>> (It's not as if I eat it every day.) Aside from for dinner, thinly
>> sliced hot corned beef makes for great sandwiches. :)
>>
>> Looking again at the recipe, I would say you can leave out pretty much
>> anything that would make it too spicy for you. Do you ever make
>> pickles? If you do, I'd say use the combination of pickling spices
>> you're comfortable with. The salt seems to be the important component.

> Thanks, Jill! I think i will take Graham's advice and see if we like
> it, then if we do, I will try that recipe:)) I am pleased that I can
> leave out the very spicy stuff which is what I do when pickling. Thanks
> again, most helpful:))
>
> Now to look for a Jewish Deli in Glasgow:))

There used to be a sizable Jewish population in Glasgow, many were
people concerned with clothing wholesalers and districts that were
called "Jewish". I'd be surprised if the delis have gone but it's a
long time since I looked.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

James Silverton[_4_] 16-11-2013 08:06 PM

Corned Beef

On 11/16/2013 2:00 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 11/16/2013 1:47 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> That's how I interpret cover with water.
>>>
>>> Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it very
>>>>
>>> Caveat: I've never corned a brisket, myself.
>>>
>>> The ones I buy aren't spicy as in hot. I know you don't like spicy
>>> food. :) Corned beef is salty. But not overly much for my tastebuds.
>>> (It's not as if I eat it every day.) Aside from for dinner, thinly
>>> sliced hot corned beef makes for great sandwiches. :)
>>>
>>> Looking again at the recipe, I would say you can leave out pretty much
>>> anything that would make it too spicy for you. Do you ever make
>>> pickles? If you do, I'd say use the combination of pickling spices
>>> you're comfortable with. The salt seems to be the important component.

>> Thanks, Jill! I think i will take Graham's advice and see if we like
>> it, then if we do, I will try that recipe:)) I am pleased that I can
>> leave out the very spicy stuff which is what I do when pickling. Thanks
>> again, most helpful:))
>>
>> Now to look for a Jewish Deli in Glasgow:))

> There used to be a sizable Jewish population in Glasgow, many were
> people concerned with clothing wholesalers and districts that were
> called "Jewish". I'd be surprised if the delis have gone but it's a
> long time since I looked.

Just for the heck, I did a search for jewish deli glasgow and came up
with several. The "Hello Kosher Deli" even has an appetizing picture of
beef brisket!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

James Silverton[_4_] 16-11-2013 08:14 PM

Corned Beef

On 11/16/2013 2:00 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 11/16/2013 1:47 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> That's how I interpret cover with water.
>>>
>>> Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it very
>>>>
>>> Caveat: I've never corned a brisket, myself.
>>>
>>> The ones I buy aren't spicy as in hot. I know you don't like spicy
>>> food. :) Corned beef is salty. But not overly much for my tastebuds.
>>> (It's not as if I eat it every day.) Aside from for dinner, thinly
>>> sliced hot corned beef makes for great sandwiches. :)
>>>
>>> Looking again at the recipe, I would say you can leave out pretty much
>>> anything that would make it too spicy for you. Do you ever make
>>> pickles? If you do, I'd say use the combination of pickling spices
>>> you're comfortable with. The salt seems to be the important component.

>> Thanks, Jill! I think i will take Graham's advice and see if we like
>> it, then if we do, I will try that recipe:)) I am pleased that I can
>> leave out the very spicy stuff which is what I do when pickling. Thanks
>> again, most helpful:))
>>
>> Now to look for a Jewish Deli in Glasgow:))

> There used to be a sizable Jewish population in Glasgow, many were
> people concerned with clothing wholesalers and districts that were
> called "Jewish". I'd be surprised if the delis have gone but it's a
> long time since I looked.

Following up a follow-up is probably a bit much but I even came upon this:-

http://www.jewishtartan.com/

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 08:24 PM

Corned Beef

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:49:46 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 11/16/2013 11:45 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I
>>> always though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help
>>> preserve it.
>>> Can anyone elucidate please?
>>>

>>What the cattle eat has nothing to do with it. It's salt-cured beef.
>>According to Wiki, "The term comes from the treatment of the meat with
>>"corns" of salt."

> Like corn bread, course milled grain is corn/korn. Calling maize corn
> is a Euro thing, because of the maize kernals.

We call various things 'corn'. We talk of cornfields etc and a farm where I
regularly stay in North Yorkshire, the farmer refers to his barley as 'corn'
too as well as his wheat. It is quite common.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 08:26 PM

Corned Beef

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 11/16/2013 1:47 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> That's how I interpret cover with water.
>>>
>>> Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it very
>>>>
>>> Caveat: I've never corned a brisket, myself.
>>>
>>> The ones I buy aren't spicy as in hot. I know you don't like spicy
>>> food. :) Corned beef is salty. But not overly much for my tastebuds.
>>> (It's not as if I eat it every day.) Aside from for dinner, thinly
>>> sliced hot corned beef makes for great sandwiches. :)
>>>
>>> Looking again at the recipe, I would say you can leave out pretty much
>>> anything that would make it too spicy for you. Do you ever make
>>> pickles? If you do, I'd say use the combination of pickling spices
>>> you're comfortable with. The salt seems to be the important component.

>> Thanks, Jill! I think i will take Graham's advice and see if we like
>> it, then if we do, I will try that recipe:)) I am pleased that I can
>> leave out the very spicy stuff which is what I do when pickling. Thanks
>> again, most helpful:))
>>
>> Now to look for a Jewish Deli in Glasgow:))

> There used to be a sizable Jewish population in Glasgow, many were people
> concerned with clothing wholesalers and districts that were called
> "Jewish". I'd be surprised if the delis have gone but it's a long time
> since I looked.

Yes I believe so:) It is just getting the time to go in to look:) I'll do
a search first though.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 08:30 PM

Corned Beef

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

>> There used to be a sizable Jewish population in Glasgow, many were
>> people concerned with clothing wholesalers and districts that were
>> called "Jewish". I'd be surprised if the delis have gone but it's a
>> long time since I looked.
>>

> Following up a follow-up is probably a bit much but I even came upon
> this:-
>
> http://www.jewishtartan.com/

Blimey! That's a new one on me:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 08:31 PM

Corned Beef

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

> Just for the heck, I did a search for jewish deli glasgow and came up with
> several. The "Hello Kosher Deli" even has an appetizing picture of beef
> brisket!

Super thanks:)) Don't suppose you saved your search ... ok I'll look
myself:))

Done!!! Gosh there are loads:)) I foresee a trip into Glasgow next week:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

jmcquown[_2_] 16-11-2013 08:43 PM

Corned Beef

On 11/16/2013 2:06 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>> On 11/16/2013 1:47 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> Now to look for a Jewish Deli in Glasgow:))

>> There used to be a sizable Jewish population in Glasgow, many were
>> people concerned with clothing wholesalers and districts that were
>> called "Jewish". I'd be surprised if the delis have gone but it's a
>> long time since I looked.
>>

> Just for the heck, I did a search for jewish deli glasgow and came up
> with several. The "Hello Kosher Deli" even has an appetizing picture of
> beef brisket!

I just looked for fun. I'm not likely to show up in Glasgow.

https://www.facebook.com/hellodeli.co.uk

Yep, that's a corned beef brisket. :)

I forgot to tell Ophelia the resulting corned brisket will always look
pink. It might be well done but it's always pink. :)

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 16-11-2013 08:45 PM

Corned Beef

On 11/16/2013 2:00 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:49:46 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/16/2013 11:45 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I
>>> always though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help
>>> preserve it.
>>> Can anyone elucidate please?
>>>

>> What the cattle eat has nothing to do with it. It's salt-cured beef.
>> According to Wiki, "The term comes from the treatment of the meat with
>> "corns" of salt."

> Like corn bread, course milled grain is corn/korn. Calling maize corn
> is a Euro thing, because of the maize kernals.

And corn has nothing to do with corned beef. :)

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 16-11-2013 08:45 PM

Corned Beef

On 11/16/2013 2:00 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:49:46 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/16/2013 11:45 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I
>>> always though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help
>>> preserve it.
>>> Can anyone elucidate please?
>>>

>> What the cattle eat has nothing to do with it. It's salt-cured beef.
>> According to Wiki, "The term comes from the treatment of the meat with
>> "corns" of salt."

> Like corn bread, course milled grain is corn/korn. Calling maize corn
> is a Euro thing, because of the maize kernals.

And it still has nothing to do with corned beef brisket. :)

Jill

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 08:47 PM

Corned Beef

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> There used to be a sizable Jewish population in Glasgow, many were
>>> people concerned with clothing wholesalers and districts that were
>>> called "Jewish". I'd be surprised if the delis have gone but it's a
>>> long time since I looked.
>>>

>> Just for the heck, I did a search for jewish deli glasgow and came up
>> with several. The "Hello Kosher Deli" even has an appetizing picture of
>> beef brisket!
>>

> I just looked for fun. I'm not likely to show up in Glasgow.
>
> https://www.facebook.com/hellodeli.co.uk
>
> Yep, that's a corned beef brisket. :)
>
> I forgot to tell Ophelia the resulting corned brisket will always look
> pink. It might be well done but it's always pink. :)

Ahhh ok thanks:) Hmm I think I have him enthused for us to go and look
tomorrow:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

jmcquown[_2_] 16-11-2013 09:00 PM

Corned Beef

On 11/16/2013 2:47 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Just for the heck, I did a search for jewish deli glasgow and came up
>>> with several. The "Hello Kosher Deli" even has an appetizing picture of
>>> beef brisket!
>>>

>> I just looked for fun. I'm not likely to show up in Glasgow.
>>
>> https://www.facebook.com/hellodeli.co.uk
>>
>> Yep, that's a corned beef brisket. :)
>>
>> I forgot to tell Ophelia the resulting corned brisket will always look
>> pink. It might be well done but it's always pink. :)

> Ahhh ok thanks:) Hmm I think I have him enthused for us to go and look
> tomorrow:)

Wonderful! Please report back about how you like it. :)

Jill

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 09:02 PM

Corned Beef

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/16/2013 2:47 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I just looked for fun. I'm not likely to show up in Glasgow.
>>>
>>> https://www.facebook.com/hellodeli.co.uk
>>>
>>> Yep, that's a corned beef brisket. :)
>>>
>>> I forgot to tell Ophelia the resulting corned brisket will always look
>>> pink. It might be well done but it's always pink. :)

>> Ahhh ok thanks:) Hmm I think I have him enthused for us to go and look
>> tomorrow:)
>>

> Wonderful! Please report back about how you like it. :)

Of course:)))
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

sf[_9_] 16-11-2013 10:16 PM

Corned Beef

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 17:43:28 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it very spicy?

No, just full of flavor. If you're scared of the pepper flakes, leave
them out!

Ed Pawlowski 16-11-2013 10:38 PM

Corned Beef

On 11/16/2013 12:43 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>> You can make your own, if you've a mind to. :) Here's a step-by-step
>> with
>> pictures of the process for a 5 lb. brisket:
>>
>> http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...d_corned_beef/

> Thank you very much for that! We might just give it a try! Can I ask
> ... later in
> the recipe it says 'cover' with one inch of water ??? Does that literally
> mean cover it completely with water, with one inch extra water extra
> over the
> top of the meat ... Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it very
> spicy?

Yes. cover completely. You can use a dish as a weight to keep it under.
The spices add flavor but do not make it "hot" at all.

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 10:42 PM

Corned Beef

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 11/16/2013 12:43 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>>> You can make your own, if you've a mind to. :) Here's a step-by-step
>>> with
>>> pictures of the process for a 5 lb. brisket:
>>>
>>> http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes...d_corned_beef/

>> Thank you very much for that! We might just give it a try! Can I ask
>> ... later in
>> the recipe it says 'cover' with one inch of water ??? Does that
>> literally
>> mean cover it completely with water, with one inch extra water extra
>> over the
>> top of the meat ... Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it
>> very
>> spicy?
>>

> Yes. cover completely. You can use a dish as a weight to keep it under.

Thanks!!!

> The spices add flavor but do not make it "hot" at all.

The liquid or the flavour?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 10:43 PM

Corned Beef

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Thank you very much for that! We might just give it a try! Can I ask
>>> ... later in
>>> the recipe it says 'cover' with one inch of water ??? Does that
>>> literally
>>> mean cover it completely with water, with one inch extra water extra
>>> over the
>>> top of the meat ... Also, all that pickling spices, does it make it
>>> very
>>> spicy?
>>>

>> Yes. cover completely. You can use a dish as a weight to keep it under.

> Thanks!!!
>
>> The spices add flavor but do not make it "hot" at all.

Oops misread that sorry:)))
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Emrys Davies 16-11-2013 10:59 PM

Corned Beef

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I always
> though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help preserve
> it.
> Can anyone elucidate please?
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

The use of the term corned comes from the fact that the Middle English word
corn could refer to grains of salt as well as cereal grains.

---

Ophelia[_11_] 16-11-2013 11:04 PM

Corned Beef

"Emrys Davies" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> I just read that corned beef comes from cattle raised on maize. I always
>> though it referred to the corns of salt which was used to help preserve
>> it.
>> Can anyone elucidate please?

> The use of the term corned comes from the fact that the Middle English
> word corn could refer to grains of salt as well as cereal grains.

Thanks, Emrys:) I will post that in ukf+d. I am sure that poster will be
pleased to see it:))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Graham 17-11-2013 12:15 AM

Corned Beef

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 11/16/2013 2:00 PM, James Silverton wrote:

>>> Thanks, Jill! I think i will take Graham's advice and see if we like
>>> it, then if we do, I will try that recipe:)) I am pleased that I can
>>> leave out the very spicy stuff which is what I do when pickling. Thanks
>>> again, most helpful:))
>>>
>>> Now to look for a Jewish Deli in Glasgow:))

>> There used to be a sizable Jewish population in Glasgow, many were
>> people concerned with clothing wholesalers and districts that were
>> called "Jewish". I'd be surprised if the delis have gone but it's a
>> long time since I looked.
>>

> Following up a follow-up is probably a bit much but I even came upon
> this:-
>
> http://www.jewishtartan.com/

The sporran is circumcised?
Graham

Janet Wilder[_1_] 17-11-2013 12:23 AM

Corned Beef

On 11/16/2013 12:39 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Looking again at the recipe, I would say you can leave out pretty much
> anything that would make it too spicy for you. Do you ever make
> pickles? If you do, I'd say use the combination of pickling spices
> you're comfortable with. The salt seems to be the important component.
>
> Jill

When I buy corned beef, it comes in a cryovac package, already brined.
There is a small, separate packet of pickling spice that comes inside
the cryovac. You can use this or not. I usually use it, but you can
just include spices and herbs that you like. Use only a few black
pepper corns and a few whole mustard seeds. I like bay leaf as a seasoning.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Ophelia[_11_] 17-11-2013 12:34 AM

Corned Beef

"graham" > wrote in message

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message

>>> There used to be a sizable Jewish population in Glasgow, many were
>>> people concerned with clothing wholesalers and districts that were
>>> called "Jewish". I'd be surprised if the delis have gone but it's a
>>> long time since I looked.
>>>

>> Following up a follow-up is probably a bit much but I even came upon
>> this:-
>>
>> http://www.jewishtartan.com/
>>

> The sporran is circumcised?

lol
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

jmcquown[_2_] 17-11-2013 12:37 AM

Corned Beef

On 11/16/2013 6:15 PM, graham wrote:
> "James Silverton" > wrote in message

>>> There used to be a sizable Jewish population in Glasgow, many were
>>> people concerned with clothing wholesalers and districts that were
>>> called "Jewish". I'd be surprised if the delis have gone but it's a
>>> long time since I looked.
>>>

>> Following up a follow-up is probably a bit much but I even came upon
>> this:-
>>
>> http://www.jewishtartan.com/
>>

> The sporran is circumcised?
> Graham

LOLOL

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 17-11-2013 12:39 AM

Corned Beef

On 11/16/2013 6:23 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 11/16/2013 12:39 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Looking again at the recipe, I would say you can leave out pretty much
>> anything that would make it too spicy for you. Do you ever make
>> pickles? If you do, I'd say use the combination of pickling spices
>> you're comfortable with. The salt seems to be the important component.
>>
>> Jill

> When I buy corned beef, it comes in a cryovac package, already brined.
> There is a small, separate packet of pickling spice that comes inside
> the cryovac. You can use this or not. I usually use it, but you can
> just include spices and herbs that you like. Use only a few black
> pepper corns and a few whole mustard seeds. I like bay leaf as a
> seasoning.

Same here, Janet. But Ophelia has never tasted corned beef brisket. I
told her it's not spicy (as in hot). I could make it from scratch but
have never done so. I buy it the way you do, cryovac'd and with a
pickling spice packet that also contains bay leaves.

Jill

brooklyn1 17-11-2013 01:29 AM

Corned Beef

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 19:24:06 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 11:49:46 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>>What the cattle eat has nothing to do with it. It's salt-cured beef.
>>>According to Wiki, "The term comes from the treatment of the meat with
>>>"corns" of salt."

>> Like corn bread, course milled grain is corn/korn. Calling maize corn
>> is a Euro thing, because of the maize kernals.

>We call various things 'corn'. We talk of cornfields etc and a farm where I
>regularly stay in North Yorkshire, the farmer refers to his barley as 'corn'
>too as well as his wheat. It is quite common.

Exactly. Corned beef is *cured* beef. Meat curing is not something
to fool around with without first educating oneself. If you truly
mean to make your own corned beef I *seriously* recommend you study
this book... curing meat incorrectly is very dangerous, you can kill
people... I refer to my copy very often:
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-...keywords=kutas

Janet Wilder[_1_] 17-11-2013 04:56 AM

Corned Beef

On 11/16/2013 5:39 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/16/2013 6:23 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 11/16/2013 12:39 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Looking again at the recipe, I would say you can leave out pretty much
>>> anything that would make it too spicy for you. Do you ever make
>>> pickles? If you do, I'd say use the combination of pickling spices
>>> you're comfortable with. The salt seems to be the important component.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> When I buy corned beef, it comes in a cryovac package, already brined.
>> There is a small, separate packet of pickling spice that comes inside
>> the cryovac. You can use this or not. I usually use it, but you can
>> just include spices and herbs that you like. Use only a few black
>> pepper corns and a few whole mustard seeds. I like bay leaf as a
>> seasoning.
>>

> Same here, Janet. But Ophelia has never tasted corned beef brisket. I
> told her it's not spicy (as in hot). I could make it from scratch but
> have never done so. I buy it the way you do, cryovac'd and with a
> pickling spice packet that also contains bay leaves.
>
> Jill

My mother tried making it from scratch when I was about 10 years old. We
lived in an apartment building and she put it in a stoneware crock and
stuck it out on the fireplace where it was the time of year when it was
cool, but not cold. I remember that it was very tasty.

I like a lot of bay leaf flavor in my corned beef, so I add extra bay
leaves.

Ophelia[_11_] 17-11-2013 12:53 PM

Corned Beef

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 19:24:06 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Like corn bread, course milled grain is corn/korn. Calling maize corn
>>> is a Euro thing, because of the maize kernals.

>>We call various things 'corn'. We talk of cornfields etc and a farm where
>>regularly stay in North Yorkshire, the farmer refers to his barley as
>>'corn'
>>too as well as his wheat. It is quite common.

> Exactly. Corned beef is *cured* beef. Meat curing is not something
> to fool around with without first educating oneself. If you truly
> mean to make your own corned beef I *seriously* recommend you study
> this book... curing meat incorrectly is very dangerous, you can kill
> people... I refer to my copy very often:
> http://www.amazon.com/Great-Sausage-...keywords=kutas

Thanks very much! I'll have a look at that:) I wasn't thinking of doing
actual curing though. I just wanted to make salted (as I am now learning)
beef:) I see people here sometimes salting their own beef. Are they
actually curing it for storage? I just assumed they were doing it before
cooking for the flavour.

O with a lot to learn!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/