FoodBanter.com

-   -   Food Network - 20 years of changing food culture (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/426344-re-food-network-20-a.html)

aem 15-11-2013 06:36 PM

On Friday, November 15, 2013 2:56:05 AM UTC-8, Ubiquitous wrote:

> In those early red ink years, the network was known mostly for food, a
> television with a how-to attitude aimed at people who cook. But on
> television, personality trumps talent, entertainment trounces know-how.
> That spelled the demise of shows with chefs offering teachable moments at
> the stove.

> The switch from chefs to personalities, from information to
> entertainment, got ratings and advertisers, but triggered an MTV-style
> backlash.
> In response, much as MTV launched sister networks to recover its lost
> ground, Food Network in 2010 created The Cooking Channel, a
> back-to-basics, edgier sibling.

And now the Cooking Channel seems to be making the same mistake, getting away from cooking and seeking entertainment instead. The fact is that cooking is not a competition, nor does it entail tough time limits. Calm presentations of how to do something would get me viewing again. Games and artificial competitions would not. -aem

sf[_9_] 15-11-2013 06:51 PM

Food Network - 20 years of changing food culture

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 10:36:36 -0800 (PST), aem >
wrote:

> And now the Cooking Channel seems to be making the same mistake, getting away from cooking and seeking entertainment instead. The fact is that cooking is not a competition, nor does it entail tough time limits. Calm presentations of how to do something would get me viewing again. Games and artificial competitions would not. -aem

I hadn't watched CC for a few months (not an HD channel), looked at
their schedule earlier in the day and saw those things on their
schedule. Too bad! I thought it was a refuge from competitions, but
apparently it's not anymore.

Nancy2[_2_] 15-11-2013 07:39 PM

Food Network - 20 years of changing food culture

The cooking channel shows lots of reruns from the food network, like "challenges," Dinner Impossible, etc.

N.

Julie Bove[_2_] 16-11-2013 04:01 AM

"aem" > wrote in message

And now the Cooking Channel seems to be making the same mistake, getting
away from cooking and seeking entertainment instead. The fact is that
cooking is not a competition, nor does it entail tough time limits. Calm
presentations of how to do something would get me viewing again. Games and
artificial competitions would not. -aem

---

Yeah. What's with that? I keep trying to watch it and it's either some
ancient thing that I already saw years ago or it's an infomercial.