Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default storing herb/spices in the refrigerator

I keep far more "seasonings" in my refrigerator than the average
poster to RFC does, but for other everyone else - the lazy Susan idea
works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.

Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2013 11:37 PM, sf wrote:

> I keep far more "seasonings" in my refrigerator than the average
> poster to RFC does, but for other everyone else - the lazy Susan idea
> works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
> wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.
>
> Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!

That must be one big refrigerator.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news

> I keep far more "seasonings" in my refrigerator than the average
> poster to RFC does, but for other everyone else - the lazy Susan idea
> works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
> wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.
>
> Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!

I did try that. Was nothing but a big waste of space. And there is no way
I would refrigerate spices. They're not meant to be refrigerated!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/14/2013 11:37 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> I keep far more "seasonings" in my refrigerator than the average
>> poster to RFC does, but for other everyone else - the lazy Susan idea
>> works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
>> wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.
>>
>> Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!
>>

> That must be one big refrigerator.

It would have to be. I tried one that was designed for condiments. Did not
work well space wise. They work much better in the door.

I just ordered three lazy Susans designed for cans. Want to try them in my
stockpile but not sure if those will work either or just take up more space.
But currently I have the ones on the top, some stacked two high and that can
be a problem because sometimes they fall off and dent, leaving me to perhaps
cook something for dinner that I hadn't intended to. But these have two
tiers to them. They were a marked down item so I am not paying a lot for
them in case they don't work. I doubt that I would have paid full price.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> I keep far more "seasonings" in my refrigerator than the average
>> poster to RFC does, but for other everyone else - the lazy Susan idea
>> works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
>> wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.
>>
>> Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!
>>

> I did try that. Was nothing but a big waste of space. And there is no
> way I would refrigerate spices. They're not meant to be refrigerated!

I keep many spices on the top shelf door of our refrigerator. Stuff I hardly
every use. Well. Stuff I frequently use. The totally dumbest thing I note in
'decorator' kitchen design is keeping them above or beside the stove top.
Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/14/2013 11:37 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> I keep far more "seasonings" in my refrigerator than the average
>> poster to RFC does, but for other everyone else - the lazy Susan idea
>> works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
>> wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.
>>
>> Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!
>>

> That must be one big refrigerator.
>
> Jill

Yes, I think she has a big one too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 23:43:49 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 11/14/2013 11:37 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > I keep far more "seasonings" in my refrigerator than the average
> > poster to RFC does, but for other everyone else - the lazy Susan idea
> > works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
> > wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.
> >
> > Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!
> >

> That must be one big refrigerator.

Actually not big at all and they take up a lot of space. I just ask
myself what I want to do more - replace herbs and spices yearly or
shop like a metro (or town center) European? I choose shopping more
often for things I use immediately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 23:46:15 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >
> > "sf" > wrote in message
> > news
> >>
> >> I keep far more "seasonings" in my refrigerator than the average
> >> poster to RFC does, but for other everyone else - the lazy Susan idea
> >> works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
> >> wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.
> >>
> >> Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!
> >>

> > I did try that. Was nothing but a big waste of space. And there is no
> > way I would refrigerate spices. They're not meant to be refrigerated!

> I keep many spices on the top shelf door of our refrigerator. Stuff I hardly
> every use. Well. Stuff I frequently use. The totally dumbest thing I note in
> 'decorator' kitchen design is keeping them above or beside the stove top.
> Polly

You've probably noticed that the things you don't use very often stay
fresh for years in the refrigerator when they would have been stale in
a cupboard is a year or less. <shrug> I think I use more than at
least 95% of the posters here (I can think of two who use as much or
more variety).

Knowing how lazy susans work in my cupboard, I think it's a smart way
to store them in the refrigerator too

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 23:43:49 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/14/2013 11:37 PM, sf wrote:
>> >
>> > I keep far more "seasonings" in my refrigerator than the average
>> > poster to RFC does, but for other everyone else - the lazy Susan idea
>> > works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
>> > wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.
>> >
>> > Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!
>> >

>> That must be one big refrigerator.
>>

> Actually not big at all and they take up a lot of space. I just ask
> myself what I want to do more - replace herbs and spices yearly or
> shop like a metro (or town center) European? I choose shopping more
> often for things I use immediately.

I don't replace most of mine yearly. Most do come with expiration dates on
them now. For those things I only use occasionally and in small amounts, I
try to buy them in small quantities. If I use a lot of something, I usually
go to Costco or American Spice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 11/14/2013 11:37 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> I keep far more "seasonings" in my refrigerator than the average
>> poster to RFC does, but for other everyone else - the lazy Susan idea
>> works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
>> wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.
>>
>> Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!
>>

>That must be one big refrigerator.

Nothing compared to the size of her ass. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 01:32:34 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 23:43:49 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> That must be one big refrigerator.
>>>

>> Actually not big at all and they take up a lot of space.

>I try to buy them in small quantities.

I buy in large quantities for the price break and so I don't need to
buy so often, and store them in my freezer, from which I fill the
small bottles in my pantry. Penzeys ships spices in very nice mylar
type zip-locs, they take very little freezer space.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2013 1:20 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 23:43:49 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/14/2013 11:37 PM, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> I keep far more "seasonings" in my refrigerator than the average
>>> poster to RFC does, but for other everyone else - the lazy Susan idea
>>> works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
>>> wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.
>>>
>>> Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!
>>>

>> That must be one big refrigerator.
>>

> Actually not big at all and they take up a lot of space. I just ask
> myself what I want to do more - replace herbs and spices yearly or
> shop like a metro (or town center) European? I choose shopping more
> often for things I use immediately.

Now I'm confused. First you say you see no reason why it [a lazy susan]
wouldn't work in your refrigerator as it does in your cupboards. Then
you say lazy susans take up a lot of space (which was my point). Hey,
whatever you want to do is fine. You'll figure it out.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2013 12:46 AM, Polly Esther wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> news
>>>
>>> I keep far more "seasonings" in my refrigerator than the average
>>> poster to RFC does, but for other everyone else - the lazy Susan idea
>>> works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
>>> wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.
>>>
>>> Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!
>>>

>> I did try that. Was nothing but a big waste of space. And there is
>> no way I would refrigerate spices. They're not meant to be refrigerated!

Says who, Julie? I freeze herbs and spices all the time. Lots of
people do. Dried spices lose their 'kick' over time if stored at room
temp in bottles or jars. Properly packaged, they retain their pungency
with refrigeration or freezing.

> I keep many spices on the top shelf door of our refrigerator. Stuff I
> hardly every use. Well. Stuff I frequently use. The totally dumbest
> thing I note in 'decorator' kitchen design is keeping them above or
> beside the stove top. Polly

I don't know what that means, Polly. Where you choose to store things
in the kitchen is up to you. It doesn't have to be stored above or
beside the stovetop.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-15 1:20 AM, sf wrote:

> Actually not big at all and they take up a lot of space. I just ask
> myself what I want to do more - replace herbs and spices yearly or
> shop like a metro (or town center) European? I choose shopping more
> often for things I use immediately.

I get my spices and dried herbs at the bulk barn. The cost a small
fraction of what you pay for the bottled stuff. Most of mine are kept
in stainless cannisters that I got at Lee Vally.... 200 ml, almost a
cup. I replenished my supply of dried parsley and oregano. It was less
than 50 cents for both. they would have been $3-4 for a jar less than
half that size at the grocery store. Last year I got ground ginger
there.... $4 for a jar.... 14 cents to get enough to fill the old jar.

Herbs and spices degrade over time. At the the prices I pay I really
don't worry about the cost.

For instance, a couple weeks ago I

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 17:14:04 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 11/15/2013 1:20 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 23:43:49 -0500, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> That must be one big refrigerator.
> >>

> > Actually not big at all and they take up a lot of space. I just ask
> > myself what I want to do more - replace herbs and spices yearly or
> > shop like a metro (or town center) European? I choose shopping more
> > often for things I use immediately.
> >

> Now I'm confused. First you say you see no reason why it [a lazy susan]
> wouldn't work in your refrigerator as it does in your cupboards. Then
> you say lazy susans take up a lot of space (which was my point). Hey,
> whatever you want to do is fine. You'll figure it out.

I said my herb, spice and condiments take up a lot of space in my
refrigerator and yes, if I used a lazy susan it would take up space
too, If I put in a double decker, like what I use in the cabinets -
that would free up shelf space in the refrigerator for something else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 17:24:58 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2013-11-15 1:20 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > Actually not big at all and they take up a lot of space. I just ask
> > myself what I want to do more - replace herbs and spices yearly or
> > shop like a metro (or town center) European? I choose shopping more
> > often for things I use immediately.
> >

> I get my spices and dried herbs at the bulk barn. The cost a small
> fraction of what you pay for the bottled stuff. Most of mine are kept
> in stainless cannisters that I got at Lee Vally.... 200 ml, almost a
> cup. I replenished my supply of dried parsley and oregano. It was less
> than 50 cents for both. they would have been $3-4 for a jar less than
> half that size at the grocery store. Last year I got ground ginger
> there.... $4 for a jar.... 14 cents to get enough to fill the old jar.
>
> Herbs and spices degrade over time. At the the prices I pay I really
> don't worry about the cost.

Do whatever you think is right for you. I buy high quality spices in
bulk and pinch pennies too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

- the lazy Susan idea

> works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
>
> wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.

> Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!

I have an LS in my fridge but it's just to keep tabs on the dairy stuff. I am forever trying to find the cott cheese, sour cream, butter and plain yogurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2013 1:55:23 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I buy in large quantities for the price break and so I don't need to
>
> buy so often, and store them in my freezer, from which I fill the
>
> small bottles in my pantry. Penzeys ships spices in very nice mylar
>

> type zip-locs, they take very little freezer space.

Hey - my local health food store now carried Penzeys - no more ordering an waiting. Check YOURS out soon. I was surprised Penzey's would use another retailer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/15/2013 12:46 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>>

>>> I did try that. Was nothing but a big waste of space. And there is
>>> no way I would refrigerate spices. They're not meant to be
>>> refrigerated!

> Says who, Julie? I freeze herbs and spices all the time. Lots of people
> do. Dried spices lose their 'kick' over time if stored at room temp in
> bottles or jars. Properly packaged, they retain their pungency with
> refrigeration or freezing.

I know we had this argument before. I know that fresh herbs can be
refrigerated (and should be) and frozen. And when you dehydrate your own
things, they say to refrigerate. At least that was the instructions that
came with my dehydrator. But if I were to put all of my herbs and spices in
the fridge, it would take up one whole shelf and probably then some. I have
two lazy Susans in the cupboard and an additional two tier really large one
on the counter. Granted there are some other things on there like vanilla
beans, extracts and oils, food colorings, dried vegetables, salt and pepper.

My concern with the fridge aside from lack of space would be that moisture.
I would think that would eventually get them, especially if one got put away
without the lid being fully on.

I do not usually have problems with stale seasonings. Yes, I did with the
Costco peppercorns and also the Costco parsley. I will still buy the
peppercorns there even if it means throwing some out. But I will just buy
smaller containers of parsley. They are easier to store.

I do go through everything every 2-3 years and replace or toss as needed.
Occasionally I buy something for a recipe then never use it again. And
since I bake very little now, I use little in the way of stuff like
cardamom, orange and lemon peel. I do still use a lot of cinnamon though.
I do try to buy small containers unless it is something that I use a lot of.

>> I keep many spices on the top shelf door of our refrigerator. Stuff I
>> hardly every use. Well. Stuff I frequently use. The totally dumbest
>> thing I note in 'decorator' kitchen design is keeping them above or
>> beside the stove top. Polly
>>

> I don't know what that means, Polly. Where you choose to store things in
> the kitchen is up to you. It doesn't have to be stored above or beside
> the stovetop.

I think she was saying that was a poor place to store them. My mom used to
keep her spice rack on top of the stove. The lids of the bottles got that
sticky, greasy, dusty coating that is difficult to clean off. And being
above the stove, the heat it emits causes them to degrade more quickly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
>- the lazy Susan idea
>>
>> works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
>>
>> wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.

>> Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!

> I have an LS in my fridge but it's just to keep tabs on the dairy stuff.
> I am forever trying to find the cott cheese, sour cream, butter and plain
> yogurt.

My mom has a dairy drawer in hers!

In NY, I had a two bin unit where it had little shelf/drawer things that
slid out. Was great for fairly flat things like packages of cheese, butter,
etc. But did not work in my side by side. This fridge could really use
another shelf. I could easily move the top one up another 6" because we
never have any really tall things. But due to the design there is no way to
move it up any more. As a result, we wind up stacking a lot of things that
probably shouldn't be stacked.

I also dislike giant containers. I realized I had made a mistake when I
bought the much cheaper but much larger container of margarine. It had
gotten down to about 1/4 full. I finally just transferred it to a
Rubbermaid container. I also know that I will run into trouble with the
jars of olives from Costco. You eat almost all of the food but the giant
container is still in there. I don't save jars either. So I have nothing
smaller to put it in, unless it is a canning jar But then you don't have
the label and such.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> I buy in large quantities for the price break and so I don't need to
>> buy so often, and store them in my freezer, from which I fill the
>> small bottles in my pantry. Penzeys ships spices in very nice mylar
>> type zip-locs, they take very little freezer space.

>Hey - my local health food store now carried Penzeys - no more ordering an waiting.
>Check YOURS out soon. I was surprised Penzey's would use another retailer.

Perhaps they're buying Penzey's products direct the ame as any other
customer and selling them at a profit... did you compare your health
food store's prices with the prices in a Penzeys catalog?

I don't find it at all inconvenient to order Penzeys products from
their catalog (easier than going to a store, and probably fresher and
I don't need to settle on size or deal with no stock) and shipping is
quick, besides, I don't wait to run out before ordering.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2013 11:44 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>
>>> I buy in large quantities for the price break and so I don't need to
>>> buy so often, and store them in my freezer, from which I fill the
>>> small bottles in my pantry. Penzeys ships spices in very nice mylar
>>> type zip-locs, they take very little freezer space.

>> Hey - my local health food store now carried Penzeys - no more ordering an waiting.
>> Check YOURS out soon. I was surprised Penzey's would use another retailer.

> Perhaps they're buying Penzey's products direct the ame as any other
> customer and selling them at a profit... did you compare your health
> food store's prices with the prices in a Penzeys catalog?

Or perhaps Penzey's has entered into a resale agreement with the health
food store.

> I don't find it at all inconvenient to order Penzeys products from
> their catalog (easier than going to a store, and probably fresher and
> I don't need to settle on size or deal with no stock) and shipping is
> quick, besides, I don't wait to run out before ordering.

Penzey's is one of the things I miss about living in TN. They opened a
Penzey's in Germantown a couple of years before I moved. What a great
store! Just walking in the door the place smells fantastic!

I, too, buy those bags of Penzey's herbs & spices. I stack them in the
freezer and use them to replenish the jars. They keep for a very long
time that way.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 20:55:19 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I also know that I will run into trouble with the
>jars of olives from Costco. You eat almost all of the food but the giant
>container is still in there. I don't save jars either. So I have nothing
>smaller to put it in, unless it is a canning jar But then you don't have
>the label and such.

You can always slap a piece of masking tape on the jar and write
"olives" on it.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 20:55:19 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I also know that I will run into trouble with the
>>jars of olives from Costco. You eat almost all of the food but the giant
>>container is still in there. I don't save jars either. So I have nothing
>>smaller to put it in, unless it is a canning jar But then you don't have
>>the label and such.

> You can always slap a piece of masking tape on the jar and write
> "olives" on it.
>
> Doris

did you really need to reply? Obviously, this is a problem without any
possible solution.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2013 8:56 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> - the lazy Susan idea
>>
>> works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
>>
>> wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.

>> Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!

> I have an LS in my fridge but it's just to keep tabs on the dairy stuff. I am forever trying to find the cott cheese, sour cream, butter and plain yogurt.

I store those things on the fridge door. They aren't likely to get lost
in the shuffle.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 20:55:19 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I also know that I will run into trouble with the
>>jars of olives from Costco. You eat almost all of the food but the giant
>>container is still in there. I don't save jars either. So I have nothing
>>smaller to put it in, unless it is a canning jar But then you don't have
>>the label and such.

> You can always slap a piece of masking tape on the jar and write
> "olives" on it.

Yep I often decant and stick my labels on but I often keep a few jars oh
hand. I find them very useful.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2013 2:43 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 20:55:19 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I also know that I will run into trouble with the
>> jars of olives from Costco. You eat almost all of the food but the giant
>> container is still in there. I don't save jars either. So I have nothing
>> smaller to put it in, unless it is a canning jar But then you don't have
>> the label and such.

> You can always slap a piece of masking tape on the jar and write
> "olives" on it.
>
> Doris

Doris, that would be too easy. I label the meals I put in the freezer
by slapping a piece of plain old Scotch tape on the lid. Write the
contents and date on the tape with a Sharpie.

It's easy enough to label canning jars or any other sort of containers.
It's just another excuse why something won't work for her.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-16 2:46 PM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 20:55:19 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I also know that I will run into trouble with the
>>> jars of olives from Costco. You eat almost all of the food but the giant
>>> container is still in there. I don't save jars either. So I have nothing
>>> smaller to put it in, unless it is a canning jar But then you don't have
>>> the label and such.

>> You can always slap a piece of masking tape on the jar and write
>> "olives" on it.
>>
>> Doris

> did you really need to reply? Obviously, this is a problem without any
> possible solution.

Yeah. Aren't they all. The only thing I can give Julie credit for is to
sucking people into taking her seriously.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 14:43:15 -0500, Doris Night
> wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 20:55:19 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >I also know that I will run into trouble with the
> >jars of olives from Costco. You eat almost all of the food but the giant
> >container is still in there. I don't save jars either. So I have nothing
> >smaller to put it in, unless it is a canning jar But then you don't have
> >the label and such.

> You can always slap a piece of masking tape on the jar and write
> "olives" on it.

I procrastinated and missed a great sale on a labeler at Office Depot
or some place like that just a few days ago. I guess what stopped me
was the tape cost as much as the label maker did.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2013 5:22 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Nov 2013 14:43:15 -0500, Doris Night
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 20:55:19 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I also know that I will run into trouble with the
>>> jars of olives from Costco. You eat almost all of the food but the giant
>>> container is still in there. I don't save jars either. So I have nothing
>>> smaller to put it in, unless it is a canning jar But then you don't have
>>> the label and such.

>> You can always slap a piece of masking tape on the jar and write
>> "olives" on it.
>>

> I procrastinated and missed a great sale on a labeler at Office Depot
> or some place like that just a few days ago. I guess what stopped me
> was the tape cost as much as the label maker did.

Yep. Those labeler devices are nifty for a while. Then you have to
replace that spool. It's much cheaper to use Scotch tape and a Sharpie.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Doris Night wrote:
> > You can always slap a piece of masking tape on the jar and write
> > "olives" on it.
> >

> I procrastinated and missed a great sale on a labeler at Office Depot
> or some place like that just a few days ago. I guess what stopped me
> was the tape cost as much as the label maker did.

Small rectangular labels from the office section work well and are
inexpensive. I use them for labeling freezer things. You write on
them, then peel off the sheet and stick on the container.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>sf wrote:
>> Doris Night wrote:
>>
>> > You can always slap a piece of masking tape on the jar and write
>> > "olives" on it.
>> >

>> I procrastinated and missed a great sale on a labeler at Office Depot
>> or some place like that just a few days ago. I guess what stopped me
>> was the tape cost as much as the label maker did.

>Small rectangular labels from the office section work well and are
>inexpensive. I use them for labeling freezer things. You write on
>them, then peel off the sheet and stick on the container.

Those labels are fine for permanent cupboard storage but not temporary
freezer storage, they don't stick well to cold hard smooth surfaces,
and when they do they're difficult to remove. Why make all that work
for yourself, I write directly on the container:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_pencil
http://www.staples.com/grease%20penc...rease%20pencil
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_59lw0pnn0f_b
I also use grease pencils to write the date of purchase on can lids,
etc., they are very handy for lots of temporary marking.... can even
write a note on your fridge or countertop, on a window, mirror, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >sf wrote:

> >> I procrastinated and missed a great sale on a labeler at Office Depot
> >> or some place like that just a few days ago. I guess what stopped me
> >> was the tape cost as much as the label maker did.

> >Small rectangular labels from the office section work well and are
> >inexpensive. I use them for labeling freezer things. You write on
> >them, then peel off the sheet and stick on the container.

> Those labels are fine for permanent cupboard storage but not temporary
> freezer storage, they don't stick well to cold hard smooth surfaces,
> and when they do they're difficult to remove. Why make all that work
> for yourself, I write directly on the containe

Well, I stick them on the containers *before* they go into the
freezer. These containers that I freeze in are only for freezing so
even though those labels don't wash off well, I just stick a new one
on top of the old one.

Labeling things that go into the freezer is important too. Weeks or
months later, you can forget what's in them.

I found an unlabeled ziplock bag in my freezer this week that contains
two white squares of something. I can't imagine wth they are. They
might be very old squares of store bought frozen hash browns. That's
my best guess. Regardless, they are too old to eat but I'm going to
heat them up today just to smell and maybe find out what they are.
RIP frozen squares of whatever.

G.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:01:48 PM UTC-5, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I have never had bay leaves as fresh or aromatic or tasty as those
> from Penzeys.
>
> Janet US

If your near an Indian store most now sell
both fresh bay leaves and curry leaves.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Nov 2013 07:55:37 -0800 (PST), Helpful person
> wrote:

> If your near an Indian store most now sell
> both fresh bay leaves and curry leaves.

I've seen fresh curry leaves in Indian stores, but haven't seen fresh
bay leave yet... not that I make it a point to shop in Indian stores
on a regular basis, but I was in quite a few over the summer of 2013
and into September. Are the fresh leaves local - meaning from
California and Mexico or imported?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Nov 2013 04:54:50 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> Doris Night wrote:
>> > You can always slap a piece of masking tape on the jar and write
>> > "olives" on it.
>> >

>> I procrastinated and missed a great sale on a labeler at Office Depot
>> or some place like that just a few days ago. I guess what stopped me
>> was the tape cost as much as the label maker did.

>Small rectangular labels from the office section work well and are
>inexpensive. I use them for labeling freezer things. You write on
>them, then peel off the sheet and stick on the container.
>
>G.

I have a roll of that easy-off masking tape in the kitchen. I peel
off a piece and turn one edge under. Stick it on whatever and label
with a sharpie. The turned under edge gives me a gripping edge when
it comes time to peel it off.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/13 10:55 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Saturday, November 16, 2013 6:01:48 PM UTC-5, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> I have never had bay leaves as fresh or aromatic or tasty as those
>> from Penzeys.

> If your near an Indian store most now sell
> both fresh bay leaves and curry leaves.

Bay plants are not easy to find, but easy to grow, and a small plant
(18" tall) provides all the fresh bay leaves you will ever need.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2013 11:43 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/14/2013 11:37 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> I keep far more "seasonings" in my refrigerator than the average
>> poster to RFC does, but for other everyone else - the lazy Susan idea
>> works very well for me in my cupboards, so I see no reason why it
>> wouldn't work in my refrigerator too.
>>
>> Put a lazy Susan in your refrigerator too!
>>

> That must be one big refrigerator.
>
> Jill

A little late here, but I have adjustable small shelves in my fridge and
I can see one where a lazy suzan would work well. The only problem with
the shelf I'm thinking of is that the one immediately above it can
collapse to put taller things in if I need the room for a short time.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> >I had bronze fennel in my garden for years. It would come back and grew to
> >six feet one year with huge umbrels. Won a blue ribbon with it at a garden
> >show.

> SIX FEET... AND WON A BLUE RIBBON... AND YET NO PICTURE... LIAR!

Poor Sheldon. Here's a consolation prize, you can look at my bronze
fennel instead

http://tinyurl.com/nuwy5er

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 14:21:55 -0000, Janet > wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/nuwy5er

Does your fennel support any butterflies? Unfortunately, with
urbanization, wild fennel (anise) is disappearing around here, but we
still have a local butterfly (which I think originally fed on wild
carrot) that took to it so well it's now called the Anise Swallow
Tail. http://nathistoc.bio.uci.edu/lepidopt/papilio/anise.htm

Storing spices? [email protected] General Cooking 22 28-11-2014 12:25 AM
Storing spices Zz Yzx General Cooking 21 01-12-2011 12:48 AM
storing spices Zz Yzx Barbecue 10 26-11-2011 09:16 PM
Storing ribs or whatever, how long in refrigerator Zz Yzx Barbecue 6 14-02-2006 02:35 AM
Storing berries in the refrigerator kalanamak General Cooking 6 08-12-2004 09:49 PM