Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fruit Cake

The first of the Christmas baking is done. I made two batches of Mom's
light fruit cake yesterday. The loaves have been doused with brandy,
wrapped and stowed in the freezer for a month.

I don't expect much from tasting the fresh cakes. I was disappointed the
first time I cut into a fresh cake but learned that they aren't very
good fresh, that they have to sit for about a month to develop their
full flavour and proper texture. I did have one little sliver that I had
to trim off. It was pretty good.

I made 11 loaves. Two will go to my brothers and three to our neighbours
who all love the love the stuff. A couple will be taken to Christmas
dinner and parties. I don't waste this stuff on people who do not
appreciate fruit cake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
news
> The first of the Christmas baking is done. I made two batches of Mom's
> light fruit cake yesterday. The loaves have been doused with brandy,
> wrapped and stowed in the freezer for a month.

Why freeze them? You've doused them with brandy after all! Wouldn't a cool
corner in the basement be enough?
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 09:01:06 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>The first of the Christmas baking is done. I made two batches of Mom's
>light fruit cake yesterday. The loaves have been doused with brandy,
>wrapped and stowed in the freezer for a month.
>
>I don't expect much from tasting the fresh cakes. I was disappointed the
>first time I cut into a fresh cake but learned that they aren't very
>good fresh, that they have to sit for about a month to develop their
>full flavour and proper texture. I did have one little sliver that I had
>to trim off. It was pretty good.
>
>I made 11 loaves. Two will go to my brothers and three to our neighbours
>who all love the love the stuff. A couple will be taken to Christmas
>dinner and parties. I don't waste this stuff on people who do not
>appreciate fruit cake.

Don't freeze them. You interfere with the mellowing and marrying
(reason they are baked early and doused with spirits.)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> The first of the Christmas baking is done...
>
> I made 11 loaves.

Sounds like a LOT of work there, Dave. Good for you.

> I don't waste this stuff on people who do not
> appreciate fruit cake.

I'll buy one each year but it's usually just a cheap Kmart thing. Your
fruit cake sounds about 900% better.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-14 1:15 PM, Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> The first of the Christmas baking is done...
>>
>> I made 11 loaves.

> Sounds like a LOT of work there, Dave. Good for you.
>
>> I don't waste this stuff on people who do not
>> appreciate fruit cake.

> I'll buy one each year but it's usually just a cheap Kmart thing. Your
> fruit cake sounds about 900% better.

It's a labour of love. You just can't buy good fruitcake. It has to be
home made.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-14 11:14 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>> I don't expect much from tasting the fresh cakes. I was disappointed the
>> first time I cut into a fresh cake but learned that they aren't very
>> good fresh, that they have to sit for about a month to develop their
>> full flavour and proper texture. I did have one little sliver that I had
>> to trim off. It was pretty good.
>>
>> I made 11 loaves. Two will go to my brothers and three to our neighbours
>> who all love the love the stuff. A couple will be taken to Christmas
>> dinner and parties. I don't waste this stuff on people who do not
>> appreciate fruit cake.

> Don't freeze them. You interfere with the mellowing and marrying
> (reason they are baked early and doused with spirits.)

I have been freezing them for years, and my mother always froze hers.
This is light stuff and doesn't have as much booze as the dark stuff. If
not frozen the meld within a week or two. With all the sugar and
candied fruit they don't really freeze solid. You take one out the
freezer, cut into it and eat it immediately.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:15:04 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> The first of the Christmas baking is done...
>>
>> I made 11 loaves.

>Sounds like a LOT of work there, Dave. Good for you.
>
>> I don't waste this stuff on people who do not
>> appreciate fruit cake.

>I'll buy one each year but it's usually just a cheap Kmart thing. Your
>fruit cake sounds about 900% better.

Claims to have baked 11 but won't show even one... you may believe but
I don't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-14 2:06 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:15:04 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> The first of the Christmas baking is done...
>>>
>>> I made 11 loaves.

>> Sounds like a LOT of work there, Dave. Good for you.
>>
>>> I don't waste this stuff on people who do not
>>> appreciate fruit cake.

>> I'll buy one each year but it's usually just a cheap Kmart thing. Your
>> fruit cake sounds about 900% better.

> Claims to have baked 11 but won't show even one... you may believe but
> I don't.

Yes. Of course it is all just a silly hoax. I tried to make it sound
more credible by posting the recipe in another thread. If I posted a
picture would you even know for sure that it was cake I had baked?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2013-11-14 2:06 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Sounds like a LOT of work there, Dave. Good for you.

>>> I'll buy one each year but it's usually just a cheap Kmart thing. Your
>>> fruit cake sounds about 900% better.

>> Claims to have baked 11 but won't show even one... you may believe but
>> I don't.
>>

> Yes. Of course it is all just a silly hoax. I tried to make it sound
> more credible by posting the recipe in another thread. If I posted a
> picture would you even know for sure that it was cake I had baked?

I made 50 meatballs yesterday

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-14 5:08 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Claims to have baked 11 but won't show even one... you may believe but
>>> I don't.
>>>

>> Yes. Of course it is all just a silly hoax. I tried to make it sound
>> more credible by posting the recipe in another thread. If I posted a
>> picture would you even know for sure that it was cake I had baked?

> I made 50 meatballs yesterday

Prove it. I want pictures ;-)

FWIW...I have meatballs in the oven right now, but only about a dozen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 15:37:41 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2013-11-14 2:06 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Sounds like a LOT of work there, Dave. Good for you.

>>> I'll buy one each year but it's usually just a cheap Kmart thing. Your
>>> fruit cake sounds about 900% better.

>> Claims to have baked 11 but won't show even one... you may believe but
>> I don't.
>>

>Yes. Of course it is all just a silly hoax. I tried to make it sound
>more credible by posting the recipe in another thread. If I posted a
>picture would you even know for sure that it was cake I had baked?

YES! Everyone knows what pictures I post are on my yellow
countertops. With your alibi you just proved you're a LIAR! You
never baked anything in your life... you're a total ****ing fraud,
your posts are far worse a waste of bandwidth than Julie's... Julie is
verbose but honest, you are a L I A R ! ! ! Eleven fruit cakes your
lying ass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 22:08:11 +0000 (UTC), tert in seattle
> wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Claims to have baked 11 but won't show even one... you may believe but
>>> I don't.
>>>

>> Yes. Of course it is all just a silly hoax. I tried to make it sound
>> more credible by posting the recipe in another thread. If I posted a
>> picture would you even know for sure that it was cake I had baked?

>I made 50 meatballs yesterday

You are a ****ing meatball.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 17:16:53 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2013-11-14 5:08 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Yes. Of course it is all just a silly hoax. I tried to make it sound
>>> more credible by posting the recipe in another thread. If I posted a
>>> picture would you even know for sure that it was cake I had baked?

>> I made 50 meatballs yesterday

>Prove it. I want pictures ;-)
>
>FWIW...I have meatballs in the oven right now, but only about a dozen.

Liar! No one lights an oven for a dozen meat balls, LIAR!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2013-11-14 1:15 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> The first of the Christmas baking is done...
>>>
>>> I made 11 loaves.

>> Sounds like a LOT of work there, Dave. Good for you.
>>
>>> I don't waste this stuff on people who do not
>>> appreciate fruit cake.

>> I'll buy one each year but it's usually just a cheap Kmart thing. Your
>> fruit cake sounds about 900% better.
>>

> It's a labour of love. You just can't buy good fruitcake. It has to be
> home made.

Actually Figi's makes a good one, but only the one without citron. I hate
any fruitcake that has citron in it. Someone gave us one once many years ago
and we threw it up on the shelf in the closet for a couple of years and then
regifted it to my oldest brother. He loved it, kept saying it was the best
he'd ever had. It probably was being aged like that. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 09:01:06 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>The first of the Christmas baking is done. I made two batches of Mom's
>light fruit cake yesterday. The loaves have been doused with brandy,
>wrapped and stowed in the freezer for a month.
>
>I don't expect much from tasting the fresh cakes. I was disappointed the
>first time I cut into a fresh cake but learned that they aren't very
>good fresh, that they have to sit for about a month to develop their
>full flavour and proper texture. I did have one little sliver that I had
>to trim off. It was pretty good.
>
>I made 11 loaves. Two will go to my brothers and three to our neighbours
>who all love the love the stuff. A couple will be taken to Christmas
>dinner and parties. I don't waste this stuff on people who do not
>appreciate fruit cake.

I hope to get at least one batch of mine done tomorrow. My kids are
coming for Thanksgiving and I want to have a couple ready for them to
take home. I may see if I can get some frosted fruit cookies ready
for the freezer for them too. Anything else will have to be shipped.
Will have to get the rest of the fruitcakes made right after
Thanksgiving so they will be ready to shipped to the rest of the
family and friends.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2013 11:14 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 09:01:06 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> The first of the Christmas baking is done. I made two batches of Mom's
>> light fruit cake yesterday. The loaves have been doused with brandy,
>> wrapped and stowed in the freezer for a month.
>>
>> I don't expect much from tasting the fresh cakes. I was disappointed the
>> first time I cut into a fresh cake but learned that they aren't very
>> good fresh, that they have to sit for about a month to develop their
>> full flavour and proper texture. I did have one little sliver that I had
>> to trim off. It was pretty good.
>>
>> I made 11 loaves. Two will go to my brothers and three to our neighbours
>> who all love the love the stuff. A couple will be taken to Christmas
>> dinner and parties. I don't waste this stuff on people who do not
>> appreciate fruit cake.

> Don't freeze them. You interfere with the mellowing and marrying
> (reason they are baked early and doused with spirits.)
> Janet US

I've never baked fruit cake. I've read enough about them over the
years. Your reasoning is exactly my thought. Just put them in a cold
place to "mature".

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2013 1:58 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2013-11-14 1:15 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> The first of the Christmas baking is done...
>>>
>>> I made 11 loaves.

>> Sounds like a LOT of work there, Dave. Good for you.
>>
>>> I don't waste this stuff on people who do not
>>> appreciate fruit cake.

>> I'll buy one each year but it's usually just a cheap Kmart thing. Your
>> fruit cake sounds about 900% better.
>>

> It's a labour of love. You just can't buy good fruitcake. It has to be
> home made.

Have you posted the recipe? I don't plan to make fruitcake but some
others might want to try your mom's recipe/method.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2013 2:06 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 13:15:04 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> The first of the Christmas baking is done...
>>>
>>> I made 11 loaves.

>> Sounds like a LOT of work there, Dave. Good for you.
>>
>>> I don't waste this stuff on people who do not
>>> appreciate fruit cake.

>> I'll buy one each year but it's usually just a cheap Kmart thing. Your
>> fruit cake sounds about 900% better.

> Claims to have baked 11 but won't show even one... you may believe but
> I don't.

Lots of people don't take pictures of every little thing they cook.
Over the years he's mentioned making fruitcakes many times.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:21:01 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/14/2013 2:06 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Sounds like a LOT of work there, Dave. Good for you.

>>> I'll buy one each year but it's usually just a cheap Kmart thing. Your
>>> fruit cake sounds about 900% better.

>> Claims to have baked 11 but won't show even one... you may believe but
>> I don't

>Over the years he's mentioned making fruitcakes many times.

All the more reason the fraud should show at least one.
Yesterday I cooked 11 lobsters with grits. LOL-LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2013 8:41 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:21:01 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Claims to have baked 11 but won't show even one... you may believe but
>>> I don't

>> Over the years he's mentioned making fruitcakes many times.

> All the more reason the fraud should show at least one.
> Yesterday I cooked 11 lobsters with grits. LOL-LOL

Perhaps the next time I cook a pot of grits I'll take a picture. LOLOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:41:23 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:21:01 -0500, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>> Claims to have baked 11 but won't show even one... you may believe but
>>> I don't

>>Over the years he's mentioned making fruitcakes many times.

>All the more reason the fraud should show at least one.
>Yesterday I cooked 11 lobsters with grits. LOL-LOL

You do realize that one fruit cake recipe makes a lot of batter? And
that batter is then portioned out into small tins for baking? And
that it is entirely possible for one large batch of batter to produce
11 tins of fruit cake? When I made fruit cake for giving, I used tins
that are 7 5/8 X 3 7/8 x 2 1/4. Current pans for making and giving
holiday treats are a smidge smaller than that. Fruitcake takes a
tiresome long time to bake because of the density. That is why you
often see the cake in ring form. It is tough to make big, thick
loaves and get the center cooked properly.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/14/2013 10:24 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
I don't

>>> Over the years he's mentioned making fruitcakes many times.

>> All the more reason the fraud should show at least one.
>> Yesterday I cooked 11 lobsters with grits. LOL-LOL

> You do realize that one fruit cake recipe makes a lot of batter? And
> that batter is then portioned out into small tins for baking? And
> that it is entirely possible for one large batch of batter to produce
> 11 tins of fruit cake? When I made fruit cake for giving, I used tins
> that are 7 5/8 X 3 7/8 x 2 1/4.

I used loaf pans. One of them was a lot longer than the others, and one
was smaller. I got 6 out of of that batch. I didn't use those pans for
the second batch and got 5 cakes out of it.

> Current pans for making and giving
> holiday treats are a smidge smaller than that. Fruitcake takes a
> tiresome long time to bake because of the density. That is why you
> often see the cake in ring form. It is tough to make big, thick
> loaves and get the center cooked properly.

I have never made them in an angel food or Bundt style pan. I have
always used load pans.... two hours at 300 degrees.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-14 8:16 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> It's a labour of love. You just can't buy good fruitcake. It has to be
>> home made.
>>

> Have you posted the recipe? I don't plan to make fruitcake but some
> others might want to try your mom's recipe/method.

Mom’s Fruit Cake

3 cups Seedless white raisins
2 cups red glazed cherries
2 cups green glazed cherries
2 cups candied pineapple
2 cups pitted dates (optional)
1 cup coarsely ground pecans (optional)
5 ½ cups All purpose flour
½ tsp Baking Soda
¾ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. mace
2 cups soft butter
2 cups granulated sugar
8 eggs
½ pint sour cream
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 tsp. Grated lemon rind
3 Tbsp. Lemon juice

- Blend butter and sugar and add eggs one at a time. Add sour cream,
vanilla, lemon juice and granted rind.

- Place the fruits in a large bowl, sift dry ingredients over the fruit
and stir together. Add liquid mixture to the dry and stir to mix thoroughly.

- Line loaf pans with paper and pour batter into pans to a little more
than half way. NB. Recipe makes enough for 6-7 loaf pans.

- Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours.

Allow loaves to cool. Sprinkle a little brandy, rum or sherry over each
loaf, wrap them individually in aluminium foil and let them sit for at
least a few days before eating. If not using them within two weeks
they should be frozen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 08:43:57 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Mom’s Fruit Cake
>
>3 cups Seedless white raisins
>2 cups red glazed cherries
>2 cups green glazed cherries
>2 cups candied pineapple
>2 cups pitted dates (optional)
>1 cup coarsely ground pecans (optional)
>5 ½ cups All purpose flour
>½ tsp Baking Soda
>¾ tsp. Salt
>¼ tsp. mace
>2 cups soft butter
>2 cups granulated sugar
>8 eggs
>½ pint sour cream
>2 tsp. Vanilla
>2 tsp. Grated lemon rind
>3 Tbsp. Lemon juice
>
>- Blend butter and sugar and add eggs one at a time. Add sour cream,
>vanilla, lemon juice and granted rind.
>
>- Place the fruits in a large bowl, sift dry ingredients over the fruit
>and stir together. Add liquid mixture to the dry and stir to mix thoroughly.
>
>- Line loaf pans with paper and pour batter into pans to a little more
>than half way. NB. Recipe makes enough for 6-7 loaf pans.
>
>- Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours.
>
>Allow loaves to cool. Sprinkle a little brandy, rum or sherry over each
>loaf, wrap them individually in aluminium foil and let them sit for at
>least a few days before eating. If not using them within two weeks
>they should be frozen.

I am a fruitcake hater, because I can't abide raisins for some reason.
Other than that, your recipe looks wonderful. I may try a half-recipe
of this, omitting the raisins and maybe the dates. I could possibly
have my mind changed.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 15:37:41 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> Claims to have baked 11 but won't show even one... you may believe but
>>> I don't.
>>>

>>Yes. Of course it is all just a silly hoax. I tried to make it sound
>>more credible by posting the recipe in another thread. If I posted a
>>picture would you even know for sure that it was cake I had baked?

> YES! Everyone knows what pictures I post are on my yellow
> countertops. With your alibi you just proved you're a LIAR! You
> never baked anything in your life... you're a total ****ing fraud,
> your posts are far worse a waste of bandwidth than Julie's... Julie is
> verbose but honest, you are a L I A R ! ! ! Eleven fruit cakes your
> lying ass.

and he freezes them ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:24:16 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:41:23 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:21:01 -0500, jmcquown >
>>wrote:

>>>Over the years he's mentioned making fruitcakes many times.

>>All the more reason the fraud should show at least one.
>>Yesterday I cooked 11 lobsters with grits. LOL-LOL

>You do realize that one fruit cake recipe makes a lot of batter?

WTF is "a lot of batter"?!?!?

>And that batter is then portioned out into small tins for baking? And
>that it is entirely possible for one large batch of batter to produce
>11 tins of fruit cake? When I made fruit cake for giving, I used tins
>that are 7 5/8 X 3 7/8 x 2 1/4. Current pans for making and giving
>holiday treats are a smidge smaller than that. Fruitcake takes a
>tiresome long time to bake because of the density. That is why you
>often see the cake in ring form. It is tough to make big, thick
>loaves and get the center cooked properly.
>Janet US

None of what you wrote adresses my question regarding posting a
picture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 13:41:02 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:24:16 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:41:23 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>>>All the more reason the fraud should show at least one.
>>>Yesterday I cooked 11 lobsters with grits. LOL-LOL

>>You do realize that one fruit cake recipe makes a lot of batter?

>WTF is "a lot of batter"?!?!?
>
>>And that batter is then portioned out into small tins for baking? And
>>that it is entirely possible for one large batch of batter to produce
>>11 tins of fruit cake? When I made fruit cake for giving, I used tins
>>that are 7 5/8 X 3 7/8 x 2 1/4. Current pans for making and giving
>>holiday treats are a smidge smaller than that. Fruitcake takes a
>>tiresome long time to bake because of the density. That is why you
>>often see the cake in ring form. It is tough to make big, thick
>>loaves and get the center cooked properly.
>>Janet US

>None of what you wrote adresses my question regarding posting a
>picture.

My fruit cake recipe makes one of those blue and white speckled
canning kettles full. That's a lot of batter. You were harping on
the quantity of loaves. That is what I was addressing because I
didn't have a problem with his assertion that he made 11 loaves.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-15 1:33 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>> YES! Everyone knows what pictures I post are on my yellow
>> countertops. With your alibi you just proved you're a LIAR! You
>> never baked anything in your life... you're a total ****ing fraud,
>> your posts are far worse a waste of bandwidth than Julie's... Julie is
>> verbose but honest, you are a L I A R ! ! ! Eleven fruit cakes your
>> lying ass.

> and he freezes them ...

Yes I do, because they are light fruitcakes, not dark. They do develop
taste and texture over the course of a month, even in the freezer. I
have been making this stuff for years and my mother made it the same way
since I was a kid. She always put it in the freezer (after we got on in
the 1950s) and they were always incredible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2013 2:13 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 13:41:02 -0500, Brooklyn1
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:24:16 -0700, Janet Bostwick
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:41:23 -0500, Brooklyn1

>>> You do realize that one fruit cake recipe makes a lot of batter?

>> WTF is "a lot of batter"?!?!?
>>
>>> And that batter is then portioned out into small tins for baking? And
>>> that it is entirely possible for one large batch of batter to produce
>>> 11 tins of fruit cake? When I made fruit cake for giving, I used tins
>>> that are 7 5/8 X 3 7/8 x 2 1/4. Current pans for making and giving
>>> holiday treats are a smidge smaller than that. Fruitcake takes a
>>> tiresome long time to bake because of the density. That is why you
>>> often see the cake in ring form. It is tough to make big, thick
>>> loaves and get the center cooked properly.
>>> Janet US

>> None of what you wrote adresses my question regarding posting a
>> picture.

> My fruit cake recipe makes one of those blue and white speckled
> canning kettles full. That's a lot of batter. You were harping on
> the quantity of loaves. That is what I was addressing because I
> didn't have a problem with his assertion that he made 11 loaves.
> Janet US

I don't have a problem with people who don't take pictures of everything
they cook. I don't bother. Some people even carry their camera with
them and take pictures of food they order in restaurants. To my way of
thinking that's just plain silly.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 12:13:03 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 13:41:02 -0500, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:24:16 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>>>You do realize that one fruit cake recipe makes a lot of batter?

>>WTF is "a lot of batter"?!?!?
>>
>>>And that batter is then portioned out into small tins for baking? And
>>>that it is entirely possible for one large batch of batter to produce
>>>11 tins of fruit cake? When I made fruit cake for giving, I used tins
>>>that are 7 5/8 X 3 7/8 x 2 1/4. Current pans for making and giving
>>>holiday treats are a smidge smaller than that. Fruitcake takes a
>>>tiresome long time to bake because of the density. That is why you
>>>often see the cake in ring form. It is tough to make big, thick
>>>loaves and get the center cooked properly.
>>>Janet US

>>None of what you wrote adresses my question regarding posting a
>>picture.

> You were harping on the quantity of loaves.

Nope, only that there's no picture, in fact I asked for a picturre of
jsut one cake.

>That is what I was addressing because I
>didn't have a problem with his assertion that he made 11 loaves.
>Janet US

How many is not the issue, even if only one there's still no picture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2013 3:22 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 12:13:03 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 13:41:02 -0500, Brooklyn1
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 20:24:16 -0700, Janet Bostwick

>>> WTF is "a lot of batter"?!?!?

>>> None of what you wrote adresses my question regarding posting a
>>> picture.

>> You were harping on the quantity of loaves.

> Nope, only that there's no picture, in fact I asked for a picturre of
> jsut one cake.
>
>> That is what I was addressing because I
>> didn't have a problem with his assertion that he made 11 loaves.
>> Janet US

> How many is not the issue, even if only one there's still no picture.

What is your obsession with pictures? It's like other people getting
all excited because someone didn't post a link.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-15 3:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> What is your obsession with pictures? It's like other people getting
> all excited because someone didn't post a link.

Besides..... what does a picture prove? I could have been gifted
with nice cake and claimed it as my own. I could have been at a friend's
place while cakes were being made. I am not a tidy cook and by the time
the cakes were done the kitchen looked like it had been through a
hurricane.... and they were done in two batches.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2013-11-15 3:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> What is your obsession with pictures? It's like other people getting
>> all excited because someone didn't post a link.
>>

> Besides..... what does a picture prove? I could have been gifted
> with nice cake and claimed it as my own. I could have been at a friend's
> place while cakes were being made. I am not a tidy cook and by the time
> the cakes were done the kitchen looked like it had been through a
> hurricane.... and they were done in two batches.

we're going to need uncut video from start to finish

is there an rfc youtube channel??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2013-11-14 8:16 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>>> It's a labour of love. You just can't buy good fruitcake. It has to be
>>> home made.
>>>

>> Have you posted the recipe? I don't plan to make fruitcake but some
>> others might want to try your mom's recipe/method.
>>

> Mom’s Fruit Cake
>
> 3 cups Seedless white raisins
> 2 cups red glazed cherries
> 2 cups green glazed cherries
> 2 cups candied pineapple
> 2 cups pitted dates (optional)
> 1 cup coarsely ground pecans (optional)
> 5 ½ cups All purpose flour
> ½ tsp Baking Soda ¾ tsp. Salt
> ¼ tsp. mace
> 2 cups soft butter
> 2 cups granulated sugar
> 8 eggs
> ½ pint sour cream
> 2 tsp. Vanilla
> 2 tsp. Grated lemon rind
> 3 Tbsp. Lemon juice
>
> - Blend butter and sugar and add eggs one at a time. Add sour cream,
> vanilla, lemon juice and granted rind.
>
> - Place the fruits in a large bowl, sift dry ingredients over the fruit
> and stir together. Add liquid mixture to the dry and stir to mix
> thoroughly.
>
> - Line loaf pans with paper and pour batter into pans to a little more
> than half way. NB. Recipe makes enough for 6-7 loaf pans.
>
> - Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours.
>
> Allow loaves to cool. Sprinkle a little brandy, rum or sherry over each
> loaf, wrap them individually in aluminium foil and let them sit for at
> least a few days before eating. If not using them within two weeks they
> should be frozen.

Sounds a lot like my MIL's ingredient wise. I'm sure it's good.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

>What is your obsession with pictures? It's like other people getting
>all excited because someone didn't post a link.

You're the one with the picture obsession, you're obviously seriously
ascared to post pictures of the foods you constantly boast about. How
many times are you going to brag about your club house meals... but to
date you've never even once shown us WTF you're BSing about. No one
has ever seen one of your fercocktah kaiser rolls... there are NO
kaiser rolls!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 16:53:12 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2013-11-15 3:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> What is your obsession with pictures? It's like other people getting
>> all excited because someone didn't post a link.
>>

> Besides..... what does a picture prove?

Proves nothing about a phoney LYING phuck the likes of you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 14:52:53 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>>> Have you posted the recipe? I don't plan to make fruitcake but some
>>> others might want to try your mom's recipe/method.
>>>

>> Mom’s Fruit Cake
>>
>> 3 cups Seedless white raisins
>> 2 cups red glazed cherries
>> 2 cups green glazed cherries
>> 2 cups candied pineapple
>> 2 cups pitted dates (optional)
>> 1 cup coarsely ground pecans (optional)
>> 5 ½ cups All purpose flour
>> ½ tsp Baking Soda ¾ tsp. Salt
>> ¼ tsp. mace
>> 2 cups soft butter
>> 2 cups granulated sugar
>> 8 eggs
>> ½ pint sour cream
>> 2 tsp. Vanilla
>> 2 tsp. Grated lemon rind
>> 3 Tbsp. Lemon juice
>>
>> - Blend butter and sugar and add eggs one at a time. Add sour cream,
>> vanilla, lemon juice and granted rind.
>>
>> - Place the fruits in a large bowl, sift dry ingredients over the fruit
>> and stir together. Add liquid mixture to the dry and stir to mix
>> thoroughly.
>>
>> - Line loaf pans with paper and pour batter into pans to a little more
>> than half way. NB. Recipe makes enough for 6-7 loaf pans.
>>
>> - Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours.
>>
>> Allow loaves to cool. Sprinkle a little brandy, rum or sherry over each
>> loaf, wrap them individually in aluminium foil and let them sit for at
>> least a few days before eating. If not using them within two weeks they
>> should be frozen.

>Sounds a lot like my MIL's ingredient wise. I'm sure it's good.
>
>Cheri

That's a recipe he stole off the net.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 15, 2013 11:44:09 AM UTC-6, Doris Night wrote:

> I am a fruitcake hater, because I can't abide raisins for some reason.
>
> Other than that, your recipe looks wonderful. I may try a half-recipe
>
> of this, omitting the raisins and maybe the dates. I could possibly
>
> have my mind changed.
>

> Doris

I don't like fruitcakes that have the dark raisins and the recipe I use has the golden raisins like Dave's. The golden raisins don't give it that harsh taste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-15 8:03 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 14:52:53 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> Mom’s Fruit Cake
>>>
>>> 3 cups Seedless white raisins
>>> 2 cups red glazed cherries
>>> 2 cups green glazed cherries
>>> 2 cups candied pineapple
>>> 2 cups pitted dates (optional)
>>> 1 cup coarsely ground pecans (optional)
>>> 5 ½ cups All purpose flour
>>> ½ tsp Baking Soda ¾ tsp. Salt
>>> ¼ tsp. mace
>>> 2 cups soft butter
>>> 2 cups granulated sugar
>>> 8 eggs
>>> ½ pint sour cream
>>> 2 tsp. Vanilla
>>> 2 tsp. Grated lemon rind
>>> 3 Tbsp. Lemon juice
>>>
>>> - Blend butter and sugar and add eggs one at a time. Add sour cream,
>>> vanilla, lemon juice and granted rind.
>>>
>>> - Place the fruits in a large bowl, sift dry ingredients over the fruit
>>> and stir together. Add liquid mixture to the dry and stir to mix
>>> thoroughly.
>>>
>>> - Line loaf pans with paper and pour batter into pans to a little more
>>> than half way. NB. Recipe makes enough for 6-7 loaf pans.
>>>
>>> - Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours.
>>>
>>> Allow loaves to cool. Sprinkle a little brandy, rum or sherry over each
>>> loaf, wrap them individually in aluminium foil and let them sit for at
>>> least a few days before eating. If not using them within two weeks they
>>> should be frozen.

>> Sounds a lot like my MIL's ingredient wise. I'm sure it's good.
>>
>> Cheri

> That's a recipe he stole off the net.

And of course you can prove that. It's simple enough. Just find a site
with that recipe posted it on it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2013 8:00 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> What is your obsession with pictures? It's like other people getting
>> all excited because someone didn't post a link.

> You're the one with the picture obsession, you're obviously seriously
> ascared to post pictures of the foods you constantly boast about. How
> many times are you going to brag about your club house meals... but to
> date you've never even once shown us WTF you're BSing about. No one
> has ever seen one of your fercocktah kaiser rolls... there are NO
> kaiser rolls!

Why would I take pictures of food someone else cooked? I *know* there
are people who bring a camera to restaurants and snap away. I think
they look stupid. The food I pick up at the club gets transferred to
freezer containers. I'm not wasting time taking pictures of that.

Jill