Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cold rainy day cooking

It is miserable here... cold, wet and rainy.... November. We went out
to the Legion for the Remembrance Day ceremony, ran a few errands. I had
a little bit of milk to use up so I made a batch of tapioca. While I was
heating up on the stove I mixed up a batch of an alleged healthy version
of chocolate cookies. They are low on sugar and use canola oil for the
fat. The recipe calls for cocoa powder, chocolate chips and cocoa nubs.
They are quite tasty. The first pan is cooked and tasted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> It is miserable here... cold, wet and rainy.... November. We went out to
> the Legion for the Remembrance Day ceremony, ran a few errands. I had a
> little bit of milk to use up so I made a batch of tapioca. While I was
> heating up on the stove I mixed up a batch of an alleged healthy version
> of chocolate cookies. They are low on sugar and use canola oil for the
> fat. The recipe calls for cocoa powder, chocolate chips and cocoa nubs.
> They are quite tasty. The first pan is cooked and tasted.

I wouldn't mind some cold weather. I'm really tired of the endless sunshine.
:-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 14:07:25 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Glad you asked (oh, wait - you didn't).
>
>Boneless pork shoulder "ribs", peppered and seared and then plopped
>onto a pile of sauerkraut waiting in the crockpot. Topped with small
>russet potatoes poked full of holes to absorb some of the kraut juice
>as they cook.
>
>Now, we wait. About 6-7 hours as the house fills with the luscious
>aromas of sauerkraut and porky goodness <Tick Tock Tick Tock>.
>
>-sw

Do you put apple and a smidge of brown sugar in your saurkraut? I do.
What a lovely meal that is. I'm going to have to put saurkraut on my
shopping list. I like the kraut with country ribs, pork shoulder and
loin. You're right, the aroma is sublime.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:13:54 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> It is miserable here... cold, wet and rainy.... November. We went out to
>> the Legion for the Remembrance Day ceremony, ran a few errands. I had a
>> little bit of milk to use up so I made a batch of tapioca. While I was
>> heating up on the stove I mixed up a batch of an alleged healthy version
>> of chocolate cookies. They are low on sugar and use canola oil for the
>> fat. The recipe calls for cocoa powder, chocolate chips and cocoa nubs.
>> They are quite tasty. The first pan is cooked and tasted.

>I wouldn't mind some cold weather. I'm really tired of the endless sunshine.
>:-)
>
>Cheri

I don't know how to type a raspberry ( or I would.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 15:22:15 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 14:13:01 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 14:07:25 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Glad you asked (oh, wait - you didn't).
>>>
>>>Boneless pork shoulder "ribs", peppered and seared and then plopped
>>>onto a pile of sauerkraut waiting in the crockpot. Topped with small
>>>russet potatoes poked full of holes to absorb some of the kraut juice
>>>as they cook.
>>>
>>>Now, we wait. About 6-7 hours as the house fills with the luscious
>>>aromas of sauerkraut and porky goodness <Tick Tock Tick Tock>.

>> Do you put apple and a smidge of brown sugar in your saurkraut?

>No way! I don't like fruit in or on anything savory. All those
>German dishes with applesauce... count me out - WAY out. I even have
>trouble eating the sweet red cabbage. Sometimes I've accidentally
>bought sweet sauerkraut, too. Blech.
>
>I did add caraway, though.
>
>-sw

No, no, no, no, no. There is no sweetness at all. It just takes the
very edge off the kraut and rounds the flavor. I'm talking one of the
big Costco jars of kraut, one diced apple, a teaspoon of brown sugar
and pepper and garlic. I really dislike fruit in savory things if I
can tell it is there. OTOH, I never grew up with caraway in food
other than bread (where I love it). I've never put caraway into
kraut. Maybe I'll give it a try. I don't eat the sweet red cabbage
either and don't like the smell of it. But, to each his own )
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2013 4:13 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:13:54 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>> It is miserable here... cold, wet and rainy.... November. We went out to
>>> the Legion for the Remembrance Day ceremony, ran a few errands. I had a
>>> little bit of milk to use up so I made a batch of tapioca. While I was
>>> heating up on the stove I mixed up a batch of an alleged healthy version
>>> of chocolate cookies. They are low on sugar and use canola oil for the
>>> fat. The recipe calls for cocoa powder, chocolate chips and cocoa nubs.
>>> They are quite tasty. The first pan is cooked and tasted.

>> I wouldn't mind some cold weather. I'm really tired of the endless sunshine.
>> :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> I don't know how to type a raspberry ( or I would.
> Janet US

pbbbbt!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2013 3:13 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> It is miserable here... cold, wet and rainy.... November. We went out
>> to the Legion for the Remembrance Day ceremony, ran a few errands. I
>> had a little bit of milk to use up so I made a batch of tapioca. While
>> I was heating up on the stove I mixed up a batch of an alleged healthy
>> version of chocolate cookies. They are low on sugar and use canola oil
>> for the fat. The recipe calls for cocoa powder, chocolate chips and
>> cocoa nubs. They are quite tasty. The first pan is cooked and tasted.

> I wouldn't mind some cold weather. I'm really tired of the endless
> sunshine. :-)
>
> Cheri

It's been pretty nice here in my neck of the woods. Tomorrow it's
supposed to be about 72F. But they said if it gets up to 50F on
Wednesday we'll be lucky. With a drastic drop like that you really feel
the difference. Seems like Wednesday would be a good say for a
crock-potted roast.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> It is miserable here... cold, wet and rainy.... November. We went out to
> the Legion for the Remembrance Day ceremony, ran a few errands. I had a
> little bit of milk to use up so I made a batch of tapioca. While I was
> heating up on the stove I mixed up a batch of an alleged healthy version
> of chocolate cookies. They are low on sugar and use canola oil for the
> fat. The recipe calls for cocoa powder, chocolate chips and cocoa nubs.
> They are quite tasty. The first pan is cooked and tasted.

I have to dredge up something for husband to eat tomorrow since I won't be
home. Wanted to make vegetable soup but I would have to be here to heat it
up as he is clueless about such things. *sigh*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

>I have to dredge up something for husband to eat tomorrow since I won't be
>home. Wanted to make vegetable soup but I would have to be here to heat it
>up as he is clueless about such things. *sigh*

But there are directions on the can. *sigh*
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2013 8:12 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I have to dredge up something for husband to eat tomorrow since I won't be
>> home. Wanted to make vegetable soup but I would have to be here to heat it
>> up as he is clueless about such things. *sigh*

> But there are directions on the can. *sigh*

Obviously he's helpless without her. *sigh*

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 19:56:59 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/11/2013 4:13 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:13:54 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>> I wouldn't mind some cold weather. I'm really tired of the endless sunshine.
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> I don't know how to type a raspberry ( or I would.
>> Janet US
>>

>pbbbbt!
>
>Jill

Thanks. It's always good to have friends that are truly au fait! ;lo)
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> It is miserable here... cold, wet and rainy.... November. We went out to
>> the Legion for the Remembrance Day ceremony, ran a few errands. I had a
>> little bit of milk to use up so I made a batch of tapioca. While I was
>> heating up on the stove I mixed up a batch of an alleged healthy version
>> of chocolate cookies. They are low on sugar and use canola oil for the
>> fat. The recipe calls for cocoa powder, chocolate chips and cocoa nubs.
>> They are quite tasty. The first pan is cooked and tasted.

> I wouldn't mind some cold weather. I'm really tired of the endless
> sunshine. :-)

I would not like that. I actually don't like sunshine at all. Can tolerate
it perhaps twice a year. Good thing I live where we don't get much sun!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 16:59:52 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I have to dredge up something for husband to eat tomorrow since I won't
>> be
>> home. Wanted to make vegetable soup but I would have to be here to heat
>> it
>> up as he is clueless about such things. *sigh*

> He's about 50 years old and hasn't learned nor can be taught how to
> heat up some soup?

Doesn't want to learn. Rather unteachable about such things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:59:52 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> I have to dredge up something for husband to eat tomorrow since I won't be
>
> home. Wanted to make vegetable soup but I would have to be here to heat it
>
> up as he is clueless about such things. *sigh*

Tell the dumb ass to grab a burger before he comes home if he is too stupid to use a microwave.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 16:59:52 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I have to dredge up something for husband to eat tomorrow since I won't
>> be
>> home. Wanted to make vegetable soup but I would have to be here to heat
>> it
>> up as he is clueless about such things. *sigh*

> He's about 50 years old and hasn't learned nor can be taught how to
> heat up some soup?

and you believe that?

You are about 50 years old and don't know how to keep her in your killfile,
so maybe it is true.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2013 8:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 16:59:52 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I have to dredge up something for husband to eat tomorrow since I won't be
>> home. Wanted to make vegetable soup but I would have to be here to heat it
>> up as he is clueless about such things. *sigh*

> He's about 50 years old and hasn't learned nor can be taught how to
> heat up some soup?
>
> -sw

Shhhhh! What are you trying to do? Stir up some freakish account of
how he once set a microwave on fire while heating soup? LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 22:26:21 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 14:51:51 -0700, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 15:22:15 -0600, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>No way! I don't like fruit in or on anything savory. All those
>>>German dishes with applesauce... count me out - WAY out. I even have
>>>trouble eating the sweet red cabbage. Sometimes I've accidentally
>>>bought sweet sauerkraut, too. Blech.
>>>
>>>I did add caraway, though.

>> No, no, no, no, no. There is no sweetness at all. It just takes the
>> very edge off the kraut and rounds the flavor. I'm talking one of the
>> big Costco jars of kraut, one diced apple, a teaspoon of brown sugar
>> and pepper and garlic. I really dislike fruit in savory things if I
>> can tell it is there. OTOH, I never grew up with caraway in food
>> other than bread (where I love it). I've never put caraway into
>> kraut. Maybe I'll give it a try. I don't eat the sweet red cabbage
>> either and don't like the smell of it. But, to each his own )

>I don't know. I'm kinda stuck in my ways when it comes to P&S :-)
>Costco sells kraut? Not around here. Must be a Northern thang. I
>use 3 lbs of pork butt, 40-45 ounces of kraut, 5 potatoes, and a half
>tablespoon of caraway. Sometimes I'll add onions, butg that's as
>adventurous as I'll get!
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...2574/lightbox/
>
>Doesn't make for such a great picture, but those who make it regularly
>know this is a pretty tasty dish - and hard to screw up (unless you
>use pork loin - yuck).
>
>-sw

looks really good to me. I'll really have to do some soon.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2013 11:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> I don't know. I'm kinda stuck in my ways when it comes to P&S :-)
> Costco sells kraut? Not around here. Must be a Northern thang. I
> use 3 lbs of pork butt, 40-45 ounces of kraut, 5 potatoes, and a half
> tablespoon of caraway. Sometimes I'll add onions, butg that's as
> adventurous as I'll get!
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...2574/lightbox/
>
> Doesn't make for such a great picture, but those who make it regularly
> know this is a pretty tasty dish - and hard to screw up (unless you
> use pork loin - yuck).

We were just talking about pork roast with sauerkraut over dinner.
My inlaws also managed to make kind of crispy potato wedges in the
same pan.

What's wrong with bone in pork loin?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2013 11:10:44 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 00:02:45 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:
>

> > On 11/11/2013 11:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...2574/lightbox/

> >> Doesn't make for such a great picture, but those who make it regularly

> >> know this is a pretty tasty dish - and hard to screw up (unless you

> >> use pork loin - yuck).

> > What's wrong with bone in pork loin?

> Too much white meat for me. Not as flavorful as the darker pork butt
>
> chunks. Pork butt has more marbling that works better in braised
>
> dishes for that "fall apart" texture without any dryness to the meat.
>
> IMO.
>
> -sw

I make it with the pork butt, too, and add a finely chopped Granny Smith apple but more caraway seed. Goooooood stuff and the house smells so good when this dish is simmering away in the crockpot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:44:32 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Cheri" > wrote in message

> > "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> >> It is miserable here... cold, wet and rainy.... November. We went out to

> >> the Legion for the Remembrance Day ceremony, ran a few errands. I had a

> >> little bit of milk to use up so I made a batch of tapioca. While I was

> >> heating up on the stove I mixed up a batch of an alleged healthy version

> >> of chocolate cookies. They are low on sugar and use canola oil for the

> >> fat. The recipe calls for cocoa powder, chocolate chips and cocoa nubs.

> >> They are quite tasty. The first pan is cooked and tasted.

> > I wouldn't mind some cold weather. I'm really tired of the endless

> > sunshine. :-)

> I would not like that. I actually don't like sunshine at all. Can tolerate
>
> it perhaps twice a year. Good thing I live where we don't get much sun!

I wouldn't expect anything different from you Julie...you
certainly live an abnormal existence from most other people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote:
> On 11/11/2013 11:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> I don't know. I'm kinda stuck in my ways when it comes to P&S :-)
>> Costco sells kraut? Not around here. Must be a Northern thang. I
>> use 3 lbs of pork butt, 40-45 ounces of kraut, 5 potatoes, and a half
>> tablespoon of caraway. Sometimes I'll add onions, butg that's as
>> adventurous as I'll get!
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...2574/lightbox/
>>
>> Doesn't make for such a great picture, but those who make it regularly
>> know this is a pretty tasty dish - and hard to screw up (unless you
>> use pork loin - yuck).

> We were just talking about pork roast with sauerkraut over dinner.
> My inlaws also managed to make kind of crispy potato wedges in the
> same pan.
>
> What's wrong with bone in pork loin?
>
> nancy

What's wrong with ribs ?

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2013 12:10 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 00:02:45 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/2013 11:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...2574/lightbox/
>>>
>>> Doesn't make for such a great picture, but those who make it regularly
>>> know this is a pretty tasty dish - and hard to screw up (unless you
>>> use pork loin - yuck).

>> What's wrong with bone in pork loin?

> Too much white meat for me. Not as flavorful as the darker pork butt
> chunks. Pork butt has more marbling that works better in braised
> dishes for that "fall apart" texture without any dryness to the meat.
> IMO.

I see. I haven't had a problem with dried out pork roast with
the bones but I can see that dark meat would have more fat.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2013 12:49 AM, gregz wrote:
> Nancy Young > wrote:
>> On 11/11/2013 11:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...2574/lightbox/
>>>
>>> Doesn't make for such a great picture, but those who make it regularly
>>> know this is a pretty tasty dish - and hard to screw up (unless you
>>> use pork loin - yuck).

>> We were just talking about pork roast with sauerkraut over dinner.
>> My inlaws also managed to make kind of crispy potato wedges in the
>> same pan.
>>
>> What's wrong with bone in pork loin?

> What's wrong with ribs ?

Nothing, near as I can tell.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:13:54 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>> It is miserable here... cold, wet and rainy.... November. We went out
>>> the Legion for the Remembrance Day ceremony, ran a few errands. I had a
>>> little bit of milk to use up so I made a batch of tapioca. While I was
>>> heating up on the stove I mixed up a batch of an alleged healthy version
>>> of chocolate cookies. They are low on sugar and use canola oil for the
>>> fat. The recipe calls for cocoa powder, chocolate chips and cocoa nubs.
>>> They are quite tasty. The first pan is cooked and tasted.

>>I wouldn't mind some cold weather. I'm really tired of the endless
>>sunshine.
>>:-)
>>
>>Cheri

> I don't know how to type a raspberry ( or I would.
> Janet US

Heh, I am not a fair weather person. I love winter. My daughter is in
Chicago and she said there were snow flurries today. I was extremely
jealous.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/11/2013 3:13 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>> It is miserable here... cold, wet and rainy.... November. We went out
>>> to the Legion for the Remembrance Day ceremony, ran a few errands. I
>>> had a little bit of milk to use up so I made a batch of tapioca. While
>>> I was heating up on the stove I mixed up a batch of an alleged healthy
>>> version of chocolate cookies. They are low on sugar and use canola oil
>>> for the fat. The recipe calls for cocoa powder, chocolate chips and
>>> cocoa nubs. They are quite tasty. The first pan is cooked and tasted.

>> I wouldn't mind some cold weather. I'm really tired of the endless
>> sunshine. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> It's been pretty nice here in my neck of the woods. Tomorrow it's
> supposed to be about 72F. But they said if it gets up to 50F on Wednesday
> we'll be lucky. With a drastic drop like that you really feel the
> difference. Seems like Wednesday would be a good say for a crock-potted
> roast.
>
> Jill

Right now, it's 10:03 P.M. and still right at 70.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>>> It is miserable here... cold, wet and rainy.... November. We went out
>>> to the Legion for the Remembrance Day ceremony, ran a few errands. I had
>>> a little bit of milk to use up so I made a batch of tapioca. While I was
>>> heating up on the stove I mixed up a batch of an alleged healthy version
>>> of chocolate cookies. They are low on sugar and use canola oil for the
>>> fat. The recipe calls for cocoa powder, chocolate chips and cocoa nubs.
>>> They are quite tasty. The first pan is cooked and tasted.

>> I wouldn't mind some cold weather. I'm really tired of the endless
>> sunshine. :-)

> I would not like that. I actually don't like sunshine at all. Can
> tolerate it perhaps twice a year. Good thing I live where we don't get
> much sun!

Yes, I came from Oregon many years ago and loved the rain, I think you're
very lucky to live in WA state.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 14:13:53 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 12:13:54 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> >> It is miserable here... cold, wet and rainy.... November. We went out to
> >> the Legion for the Remembrance Day ceremony, ran a few errands. I had a
> >> little bit of milk to use up so I made a batch of tapioca. While I was
> >> heating up on the stove I mixed up a batch of an alleged healthy version
> >> of chocolate cookies. They are low on sugar and use canola oil for the
> >> fat. The recipe calls for cocoa powder, chocolate chips and cocoa nubs.
> >> They are quite tasty. The first pan is cooked and tasted.

> >I wouldn't mind some cold weather. I'm really tired of the endless sunshine.
> >:-)
> >
> >Cheri

> I don't know how to type a raspberry ( or I would.
> Janet US

What is this? It's not a smile.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 16:59:52 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Wanted to make vegetable soup but I would have to be here to heat it
> up as he is clueless about such things. *sigh*

He doesn't know how to use a microwave? Didn't you say you had a slow
cooker? Put it in that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:48:49 -0800 (PST), Roy >
wrote:

> I wouldn't expect anything different from you Julie...you
> certainly live an abnormal existence from most other people.

There's something for everyone and Seattle fog suits her just fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 11/11/2013 8:31 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 16:59:52 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I have to dredge up something for husband to eat tomorrow since I won't
>>> be
>>> home. Wanted to make vegetable soup but I would have to be here to heat
>>> it
>>> up as he is clueless about such things. *sigh*

>> He's about 50 years old and hasn't learned nor can be taught how to
>> heat up some soup?
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Shhhhh! What are you trying to do? Stir up some freakish account of how
> he once set a microwave on fire while heating soup? LOL

Nope. No fires.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2013 7:31:01 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 16:59:52 -0800, Julie Bove wrote:
>

> > I have to dredge up something for husband to eat tomorrow since I won't be

> > home. Wanted to make vegetable soup but I would have to be here to heat it

> > up as he is clueless about such things. *sigh*

> He's about 50 years old and hasn't learned nor can be taught how to
>
> heat up some soup?

LOL! I wonder how he figured out what to do on their wedding night...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 11, 2013 8:15:08 PM UTC-6, wrote:
> On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:59:52 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>

> > I have to dredge up something for husband to eat tomorrow since I won't be

> > home. Wanted to make vegetable soup but I would have to be here to heat it

> > up as he is clueless about such things. *sigh*

> Tell the dumb ass to grab a burger before he comes home if he is too stupid to use a microwave.

*applauding*

Bingo!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 00:02:45 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/2013 11:26 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...2574/lightbox/
>>>
>>> Doesn't make for such a great picture, but those who make it regularly
>>> know this is a pretty tasty dish - and hard to screw up (unless you
>>> use pork loin - yuck).

>> What's wrong with bone in pork loin?

> Too much white meat for me. Not as flavorful as the darker pork butt
> chunks. Pork butt has more marbling that works better in braised
> dishes for that "fall apart" texture without any dryness to the meat.
> IMO.

I find it difficult to buy much meat with a decent amount of fat running
through it. I managed to get some last week for the first time in ages and
it was sooo succulent We move around a lot with work and a butcher I used
in one place told me I was very unusual because I always added ... not too
lean! He said everyone these days wants only lean meat and he agreed with
me about the quality.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 22:03:44 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> I wouldn't mind some cold weather. I'm really tired of the endless
> >> sunshine. :-)
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > It's been pretty nice here in my neck of the woods. Tomorrow it's
> > supposed to be about 72F. But they said if it gets up to 50F on Wednesday
> > we'll be lucky. With a drastic drop like that you really feel the
> > difference. Seems like Wednesday would be a good say for a crock-potted
> > roast.
> >
> > Jill

> Right now, it's 10:03 P.M. and still right at 70.

Boringly balmy, eh?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jmcquown > wrote:

>It's been pretty nice here in my neck of the woods. Tomorrow it's
>supposed to be about 72F. But they said if it gets up to 50F on
>Wednesday we'll be lucky. With a drastic drop like that you really feel
>the difference. Seems like Wednesday would be a good say for a
>crock-potted roast.

If it were 50 here, I'd open the windows and let in a little fresh air,
maybe grill some steaks.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 22:03:44 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>> > It's been pretty nice here in my neck of the woods. Tomorrow it's
>> > supposed to be about 72F. But they said if it gets up to 50F on
>> > Wednesday
>> > we'll be lucky. With a drastic drop like that you really feel the
>> > difference. Seems like Wednesday would be a good say for a
>> > crock-potted
>> > roast.
>> >
>> > Jill

>> Right now, it's 10:03 P.M. and still right at 70.
>>

> Boringly balmy, eh?

Yep, at least I haven't had to turn the heater on.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:48:49 -0800 (PST), Roy >
> wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't expect anything different from you Julie...you
>> certainly live an abnormal existence from most other people.

> There's something for everyone and Seattle fog suits her just fine.

It would suit me too, but I think dh wouldn't do so well with it.

Cheri