Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default We've got a Dollar Tree!

They must have put it in very quickly. I didn't see it there a few weeks ago
when I went to check on the Mexican restaurant that is now closed. Not sure
what happened there. Used to be a favorite place but a couple of times the
flavor of the food went all bland. We didn't eat there for many months,
then tried it again and it was fine. Then the last time it was bland again.
Salsa was fine. The rice was the main complaint. Looked very pale and
tasted like white rice that had been cooked in too much water then been
cooked more to dry it out.

We also lost the store that used to be a dollar store but then changed to a
party store. We actually only lost them in that location. They are now
about a mile or two down the street. But, now in that spot is Dollar Tree!
I am sooo excited!

Although I don't buy a lot of food in there, they do have my dad's favorite
animal crackers. They taste just like Rich Tea biscuits to me. Am also
very fond of the shelf stable milk cartons. Can't beat the price and they
keep for a long time. We do not use these on a routine basis but nice to
keep through the winter or just in case we run out in the fridge and I can't
get out to get more. Also love their bean with bacon soup. And they are a
great place to get things to donate to the food bank. Steven Tyler (from
Aerosmith) buys from there to donate because he said you can buy more and
help more people! We donate more than just food. Our food bank wants
socks, gloves, cosmetics, and other things.

They are also a great source of various things for the kitchen. I got some
of the red Betty Crocker things a while back. And I recently bought a large
red serving spoon. And I can't wait to go see the shelf paper. Not fixing
to line anything now but probably will redo some come Spring.

This is so very handy to me! The one I occasionally shop at is near a
restaurant where we frequently dine. The problem? I am the only one who
likes to go in there. And I always have others with me when I dine. If
they do agree to allow me to go over there, they get very impatient and
allow me only 10 minutes or so to shop so it's not an enjoyable experience.
This will be great!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 7, 2013 6:07:36 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
> They must have put it in very quickly. I didn't see it there a few weeks ago
>
> when I went to check on the Mexican restaurant that is now closed. Not sure
>
> what happened there. Used to be a favorite place but a couple of times the
>
> flavor of the food went all bland. We didn't eat there for many months,
>
> then tried it again and it was fine. Then the last time it was bland again.
>
> Salsa was fine. The rice was the main complaint. Looked very pale and
>
> tasted like white rice that had been cooked in too much water then been
>
> cooked more to dry it out.
>

> We also lost the store that used to be a dollar store but then changed to a
>
> party store. We actually only lost them in that location. They are now
>
> about a mile or two down the street. But, now in that spot is Dollar Tree!
>
> I am sooo excited!
>

> Although I don't buy a lot of food in there, they do have my dad's favorite
>
> animal crackers. They taste just like Rich Tea biscuits to me. Am also
>
> very fond of the shelf stable milk cartons. Can't beat the price and they
>
> keep for a long time. We do not use these on a routine basis but nice to
>
> keep through the winter or just in case we run out in the fridge and I can't
>
> get out to get more. Also love their bean with bacon soup. And they are a
>
> great place to get things to donate to the food bank. Steven Tyler (from
>
> Aerosmith) buys from there to donate because he said you can buy more and
>
> help more people! We donate more than just food. Our food bank wants
>
> socks, gloves, cosmetics, and other things.
>

> They are also a great source of various things for the kitchen. I got some
>
> of the red Betty Crocker things a while back. And I recently bought a large
>
> red serving spoon. And I can't wait to go see the shelf paper. Not fixing
>
> to line anything now but probably will redo some come Spring.
>

> This is so very handy to me! The one I occasionally shop at is near a
>
> restaurant where we frequently dine. The problem? I am the only one who
>
> likes to go in there. And I always have others with me when I dine. If
>
> they do agree to allow me to go over there, they get very impatient and
>
> allow me only 10 minutes or so to shop so it's not an enjoyable experience.
>
> This will be great!

Great news. Maybe you'll spend a lot more time there and give us all a break from Bovinity.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/7/2013 5:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
<snipped a whole bunch of "boviation"

Dollar Tree has great prices on kitchen stuff. Most of my barware
comes from there. They have those adorable margarita glasses that look
like a cactus for $1 which is cheaper than I would pay in Mexico and the
same "quality". Nice everyday wine glasses for $1 as well.

Another store I like is the {"Everything 99 cents" store, but I think
they might be only in Texas. They have fresh produce, but it is limited
to whatever is in stock and you have to catch it on the right day. Lots
of canned goods and also a great kitchen gadget and storage container
aisle.

Around the holidays when I need some extra place settings I shop at the
dollar stores for plain white dinner plates to add to the ones I already
have. If my food is good, no one cares if it's not served on fine china.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 11/7/2013 5:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> <snipped a whole bunch of "boviation"
>
> Dollar Tree has great prices on kitchen stuff. Most of my barware
> comes from there. They have those adorable margarita glasses that
> look like a cactus for $1 which is cheaper than I would pay in Mexico
> and the same "quality". Nice everyday wine glasses for $1 as well.

+1. We have a lot of glasses and almost all of them came from a Dollar
Tree. I've also not been able to find anything wrong with the
toothpaste we buy there for $1, and my many pairs of reading glasses
also all came from there.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message

> Great news. Maybe you'll spend a lot more time there and give us all a
> break from Bovinity.

Except where would that leave you, since you seem to respond to every one of
her posts with nastiness? Get a grip or use your killfile.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 08:59:58 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> Around the holidays when I need some extra place settings I shop at the
> dollar stores for plain white dinner plates to add to the ones I already
> have. If my food is good, no one cares if it's not served on fine china.

Plain white dinner plates are 100% better than paper, so I'm sure
that's something your guests are thankful for.

How are you feeling? Mending well, I hope! Happy Thanksgivukkah to
you and yours, Janet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/7/2013 11:09 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 08:59:58 -0600, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> Around the holidays when I need some extra place settings I shop at the
>> dollar stores for plain white dinner plates to add to the ones I already
>> have. If my food is good, no one cares if it's not served on fine china.

> Plain white dinner plates are 100% better than paper, so I'm sure
> that's something your guests are thankful for.
>
> How are you feeling? Mending well, I hope! Happy Thanksgivukkah to
> you and yours, Janet.

Thanks for asking. Got out of the hospital a week ago after a 6 week
"incarceration" which included 2 weeks in regular hospital and 4 in
rehab. Last CT scan showed no sign of tumor. Will have PET on Monday
but won't find out until the 21st.

Am battling C. Difficile. Might have to go to another drug. Otherwise,
I'm regaining my strength, making dinner and planning to cook
Thanksgiving dinner for 4. The following Saturday night, Nov. 30, is
the annual Chanukah brisket and latkes party at my house. This year we
are 13 people.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 11/7/2013 11:09 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 08:59:58 -0600, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Around the holidays when I need some extra place settings I shop at the
>>> dollar stores for plain white dinner plates to add to the ones I already
>>> have. If my food is good, no one cares if it's not served on fine
>>> china.

>> Plain white dinner plates are 100% better than paper, so I'm sure
>> that's something your guests are thankful for.
>>
>> How are you feeling? Mending well, I hope! Happy Thanksgivukkah to
>> you and yours, Janet.
>>

> Thanks for asking. Got out of the hospital a week ago after a 6 week
> "incarceration" which included 2 weeks in regular hospital and 4 in rehab.
> Last CT scan showed no sign of tumor. Will have PET on Monday but won't
> find out until the 21st.
>
> Am battling C. Difficile. Might have to go to another drug. Otherwise,
> I'm regaining my strength, making dinner and planning to cook Thanksgiving
> dinner for 4. The following Saturday night, Nov. 30, is the annual
> Chanukah brisket and latkes party at my house. This year we are 13
> people.

Many good wishes from me.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 12:04:39 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> On 11/7/2013 11:09 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 08:59:58 -0600, Janet Wilder
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Around the holidays when I need some extra place settings I shop at the
> >> dollar stores for plain white dinner plates to add to the ones I already
> >> have. If my food is good, no one cares if it's not served on fine china.

> > Plain white dinner plates are 100% better than paper, so I'm sure
> > that's something your guests are thankful for.
> >
> > How are you feeling? Mending well, I hope! Happy Thanksgivukkah to
> > you and yours, Janet.
> >

> Thanks for asking. Got out of the hospital a week ago after a 6 week
> "incarceration" which included 2 weeks in regular hospital and 4 in
> rehab. Last CT scan showed no sign of tumor. Will have PET on Monday
> but won't find out until the 21st.
>
> Am battling C. Difficile. Might have to go to another drug. Otherwise,
> I'm regaining my strength, making dinner and planning to cook
> Thanksgiving dinner for 4. The following Saturday night, Nov. 30, is
> the annual Chanukah brisket and latkes party at my house. This year we
> are 13 people.

Glad to hear you're feeling well enough to host 2 holiday parties!
You know what they say: laughter is the best medicine - and I'm sure
there will be lots of laughter and joy at your house during the
holiday season.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 12:04:39 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 11/7/2013 11:09 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 08:59:58 -0600, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Around the holidays when I need some extra place settings I shop at the
>>> dollar stores for plain white dinner plates to add to the ones I already
>>> have. If my food is good, no one cares if it's not served on fine china.

>> Plain white dinner plates are 100% better than paper, so I'm sure
>> that's something your guests are thankful for.
>>
>> How are you feeling? Mending well, I hope! Happy Thanksgivukkah to
>> you and yours, Janet.
>>

>Thanks for asking. Got out of the hospital a week ago after a 6 week
>"incarceration" which included 2 weeks in regular hospital and 4 in
>rehab. Last CT scan showed no sign of tumor. Will have PET on Monday
>but won't find out until the 21st.
>
>Am battling C. Difficile. Might have to go to another drug. Otherwise,
>I'm regaining my strength, making dinner and planning to cook
>Thanksgiving dinner for 4. The following Saturday night, Nov. 30, is
>the annual Chanukah brisket and latkes party at my house. This year we
>are 13 people.

You have my deepest sympathy on the C. Difficile. Been there, done
that and hope I never have it again. Took two rounds of meds to
finish it off.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/7/2013 12:52 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> On 11/7/2013 11:09 AM, sf wrote:
>>> On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 08:59:58 -0600, Janet Wilder

>>> Plain white dinner plates are 100% better than paper, so I'm sure
>>> that's something your guests are thankful for.
>>>
>>> How are you feeling? Mending well, I hope! Happy Thanksgivukkah to
>>> you and yours, Janet.
>>>

>> Thanks for asking. Got out of the hospital a week ago after a 6 week
>> "incarceration" which included 2 weeks in regular hospital and 4 in
>> rehab. Last CT scan showed no sign of tumor. Will have PET on Monday
>> but won't find out until the 21st.
>>
>> Am battling C. Difficile. Might have to go to another drug.
>> Otherwise, I'm regaining my strength, making dinner and planning to
>> cook Thanksgiving dinner for 4. The following Saturday night, Nov.
>> 30, is the annual Chanukah brisket and latkes party at my house. This
>> year we are 13 people.

> Many good wishes from me.

Thank you.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/7/2013 12:53 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 12:04:39 -0600, Janet Wilder

>> Am battling C. Difficile. Might have to go to another drug. Otherwise,
>> I'm regaining my strength, making dinner and planning to cook
>> Thanksgiving dinner for 4. The following Saturday night, Nov. 30, is
>> the annual Chanukah brisket and latkes party at my house. This year we
>> are 13 people.

> Glad to hear you're feeling well enough to host 2 holiday parties!
> You know what they say: laughter is the best medicine - and I'm sure
> there will be lots of laughter and joy at your house during the
> holiday season.

Lots of laughter, good food and wine.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 11/7/2013 11:09 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 08:59:58 -0600, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Around the holidays when I need some extra place settings I shop at the
>>> dollar stores for plain white dinner plates to add to the ones I already
>>> have. If my food is good, no one cares if it's not served on fine
>>> china.

>> Plain white dinner plates are 100% better than paper, so I'm sure
>> that's something your guests are thankful for.
>>
>> How are you feeling? Mending well, I hope! Happy Thanksgivukkah to
>> you and yours, Janet.
>>

> Thanks for asking. Got out of the hospital a week ago after a 6 week
> "incarceration" which included 2 weeks in regular hospital and 4 in rehab.
> Last CT scan showed no sign of tumor. Will have PET on Monday but won't
> find out until the 21st.
>
> Am battling C. Difficile. Might have to go to another drug. Otherwise,
> I'm regaining my strength, making dinner and planning to cook Thanksgiving
> dinner for 4. The following Saturday night, Nov. 30, is the annual
> Chanukah brisket and latkes party at my house. This year we are 13
> people.

That is great news Janet.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 12:04:39 -0600, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>On 11/7/2013 11:09 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 08:59:58 -0600, Janet Wilder
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Around the holidays when I need some extra place settings I shop at the
>>> dollar stores for plain white dinner plates to add to the ones I already
>>> have. If my food is good, no one cares if it's not served on fine china.

>> Plain white dinner plates are 100% better than paper, so I'm sure
>> that's something your guests are thankful for.
>>
>> How are you feeling? Mending well, I hope! Happy Thanksgivukkah to
>> you and yours, Janet.
>>

>Thanks for asking. Got out of the hospital a week ago after a 6 week
>"incarceration" which included 2 weeks in regular hospital and 4 in
>rehab. Last CT scan showed no sign of tumor. Will have PET on Monday
>but won't find out until the 21st.
>
>Am battling C. Difficile. Might have to go to another drug. Otherwise,
>I'm regaining my strength, making dinner and planning to cook
>Thanksgiving dinner for 4. The following Saturday night, Nov. 30, is
>the annual Chanukah brisket and latkes party at my house. This year we
>are 13 people.

I didn't know you were in trouble. I'm glad everything is looking
better for you. Take it easy on yourself. Your brain may insist on
more activity than your body is ready for.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/7/2013 1:52 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> On 11/7/2013 11:09 AM, sf wrote:
>>> On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 08:59:58 -0600, Janet Wilder

>>> Plain white dinner plates are 100% better than paper, so I'm sure
>>> that's something your guests are thankful for.
>>>
>>> How are you feeling? Mending well, I hope! Happy Thanksgivukkah to
>>> you and yours, Janet.
>>>

>> Thanks for asking. Got out of the hospital a week ago after a 6 week
>> "incarceration" which included 2 weeks in regular hospital and 4 in
>> rehab. Last CT scan showed no sign of tumor. Will have PET on Monday
>> but won't find out until the 21st.
>>
>> Am battling C. Difficile. Might have to go to another drug.
>> Otherwise, I'm regaining my strength, making dinner and planning to
>> cook Thanksgiving dinner for 4. The following Saturday night, Nov.
>> 30, is the annual Chanukah brisket and latkes party at my house. This
>> year we are 13 people.

> Many good wishes from me.

And from me as well!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 11/7/2013 5:07 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> <snipped a whole bunch of "boviation"
>>
>> Dollar Tree has great prices on kitchen stuff. Most of my barware
>> comes from there. They have those adorable margarita glasses that
>> look like a cactus for $1 which is cheaper than I would pay in Mexico
>> and the same "quality". Nice everyday wine glasses for $1 as well.

> +1. We have a lot of glasses and almost all of them came from a Dollar
> Tree. I've also not been able to find anything wrong with the toothpaste
> we buy there for $1, and my many pairs of reading glasses also all came
> from there.

Oh yes, the reading glasses. Bought some and hid them away. Husband keeps
loosing his. Next time he does this, rather than helping him search I will
just tell him to look behind the fireplace. Heh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Kalmia" > wrote in message
>
>> Great news. Maybe you'll spend a lot more time there and give us all a
>> break from Bovinity.

> Except where would that leave you, since you seem to respond to every one
> of her posts with nastiness? Get a grip or use your killfile.

Yeah. She... I think she is a she...wouldn't have much to reply to.
Apparently.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:07:36 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:

> Although I don't buy a lot of food in there, they do have my dad's favorite
>
> animal crackers. They taste just like Rich Tea biscuits to me. Am also
>
> very fond of the shelf stable milk cartons. Can't beat the price and they
>
> keep for a long time. We do not use these on a routine basis but nice to
>
> keep through the winter or just in case we run out in the fridge and I can't
>
> get out to get more.

If they put something in those "shelf stable milk cartons" that would render
the drinker sterile, I'd be a fan. It's not like any quality person would
drink that stuff more than once or at most, twice. Hey, you could bank
the money you save for your piglet's tubal ligation.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:07:36 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> Although I don't buy a lot of food in there, they do have my dad's
>> favorite
>>
>> animal crackers. They taste just like Rich Tea biscuits to me. Am also
>>
>> very fond of the shelf stable milk cartons. Can't beat the price and
>> they
>>
>> keep for a long time. We do not use these on a routine basis but nice to
>>
>> keep through the winter or just in case we run out in the fridge and I
>> can't
>>
>> get out to get more.

> If they put something in those "shelf stable milk cartons" that would
> render
> the drinker sterile, I'd be a fan. It's not like any quality person would
> drink that stuff more than once or at most, twice. Hey, you could bank
> the money you save for your piglet's tubal ligation.

I don't drink milk and people in this house rarely do. When I do use it, it
is mainly for cooking.

There is really no excuse for you. None at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:07:36 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> They must have put it in very quickly. I didn't see it there a few weeks ago

*snip for sanity

You really seem to get great enjoyment out of the most mundane things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thursday, November 7, 2013 5:07:36 AM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
>> They must have put it in very quickly. I didn't see it there a few weeks
>> ago

> *snip for sanity
>
> You really seem to get great enjoyment out of the most mundane things.

And that's a bad thing?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/7/2013 5:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
>>
>> If they put something in those "shelf stable milk cartons" that would
>> render
>> the drinker sterile, I'd be a fan. It's not like any quality person
>> would
>> drink that stuff more than once or at most, twice. Hey, you could bank
>> the money you save for your piglet's tubal ligation.

> I don't drink milk and people in this house rarely do. When I do use
> it, it is mainly for cooking.

That stuff is irradiated milk. It's great that you can store milk like
that without refrigeration. I buy ultra-pasteurized milk for work
because it lasts for over a month. Amazing! Regular pasteurized milk
would spoil in my refrigerator in the office. UP milk is a great money
and time saver for me.