FoodBanter.com

-   -   Krispy Kreme waffles (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/426206-krispy-kreme-waffles.html)

Tara 02-11-2013 05:01 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

http://www.ohbiteit.com/2013/08/kris...e-waffles.html

I don't plan on making these, but they look fun. Butter and syrup are
not necessary. I bet they smell wonderful while they brown. I wonder
how they would sell as a bake sale or concession/fundraiser item if you
could make them on demand.

Tara

dsi1[_15_] 02-11-2013 07:42 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On 11/2/2013 7:01 AM, Tara wrote:
> http://www.ohbiteit.com/2013/08/kris...e-waffles.html
>
> I don't plan on making these, but they look fun. Butter and syrup are
> not necessary. I bet they smell wonderful while they brown. I wonder
> how they would sell as a bake sale or concession/fundraiser item if you
> could make them on demand.
>
> Tara

That looks dangerous. I won a box of those doughnuts last week. It's a
rare item in this state because they have to be flown in from Maui. I
ate one and thought it was ok but nobody in my family wanted to partake.
My wife took it to work. She works with a bunch of fat doughnut eaters.
If I had seen this earlier, I'd have made it. I have a waffle iron...

Kalmia 02-11-2013 07:51 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

Wow - more white flour and sugar to keep ya healthy.

I never liked even the NAME Krispy Kreme. That misspelling alone turned me off.

sf[_9_] 02-11-2013 10:29 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 21:59:39 +0000, MotoFox >
wrote:

> Quoth Kalmia~
>
> > I never liked even the NAME Krispy Kreme. That misspelling alone turned
> > me off.

> I can't even walk into the (I guess we should write it "Crispy Cream"?)
> store. The strong greasy smell alone literally makes me sick enough to
> almost vomit.
>
> Tried one once that somebody brought in to work and was far from
> impressed. I'll take a $0.70 #2505 at Fred Meyer's over one of those
> things any day!

I never understood the hype either. They taste great fresh out of the
fryer and still warm, but what donut doesn't? After they cool,
they're just cold, lumps of lard. KK first opened in North
Carolina.... you get the drift.

Dave Smith[_1_] 02-11-2013 10:39 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On 2013-11-02 6:29 PM, sf wrote:

> I never understood the hype either. They taste great fresh out of the
> fryer and still warm, but what donut doesn't? After they cool,
> they're just cold, lumps of lard. KK first opened in North
> Carolina.... you get the drift.

Should that not read"..... just cold, lumps of lard and sugar"?
Krispee Kreme opened a couple outlets in Canada but according to their
on-line store locator, they have expanded to a grand total of 5. They
have not managed to compete with Tim Horton's donut shops, even though
they launched here after Hortons had already stooped to the inferior
par-baked product.

Michel Boucher[_3_] 02-11-2013 11:55 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

Dave Smith > wrote in
:

> They
> have not managed to compete with Tim Horton's donut shops,
> even though they launched here after Hortons had already
> stooped to the inferior par-baked product.

With Timmie's being as common in Canada (3000, as well as 556 in
the US and lest we forget the one at KAF Base) as Starbucks is in
the US (13,279 so not quite a 1:1 per capita...more like 1:.04),
there aren't enough retail locations left for Kwispy Kweme. Oh, I
change my mind. They could take over the 231 closed KFC and Taco
Bell outlets in Ontario and British Columbia.

http://www.torontosun.com/money/2011.../17826611.html

--

Traditions are group efforts to keep the unexpected
from happening.

-- Barbara Tober

Nancy Young[_7_] 03-11-2013 12:55 AM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On 11/2/2013 6:39 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2013-11-02 6:29 PM, sf wrote:
>
>> I never understood the hype either. They taste great fresh out of the
>> fryer and still warm, but what donut doesn't? After they cool,
>> they're just cold, lumps of lard. KK first opened in North
>> Carolina.... you get the drift.
>>

> Should that not read"..... just cold, lumps of lard and sugar"?
> Krispee Kreme opened a couple outlets in Canada but according to their
> on-line store locator, they have expanded to a grand total of 5.

One opened maybe 30 miles from me at the height of the Krispy Kreme
resurgence. I've only had one that I bought in a supermarket.
I have a sweet tooth but this was painfully so.

> They
> have not managed to compete with Tim Horton's donut shops, even though
> they launched here after Hortons had already stooped to the inferior
> par-baked product.

Like Dunkin Donuts. Not that I'm a big fan of donuts but they
used to have some that I liked. Now they're trucked in.

nancy

Cheryl[_3_] 03-11-2013 01:56 AM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On 11/2/2013 1:01 PM, Tara wrote:

> http://www.ohbiteit.com/2013/08/kris...e-waffles.html
>
> I don't plan on making these, but they look fun. Butter and syrup are
> not necessary. I bet they smell wonderful while they brown. I wonder
> how they would sell as a bake sale or concession/fundraiser item if you
> could make them on demand.
>
> Tara

Yeesh, a stack that size must be several thousand calories.

--
CAPSLOCK€“Preventing Login Since 1980.

Dave Smith[_1_] 03-11-2013 02:32 AM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On 11/2/2013 8:55 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 11/2/2013 6:39 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> Should that not read"..... just cold, lumps of lard and sugar"?
>> Krispee Kreme opened a couple outlets in Canada but according to their
>> on-line store locator, they have expanded to a grand total of 5.

> One opened maybe 30 miles from me at the height of the Krispy Kreme
> resurgence. I've only had one that I bought in a supermarket.
> I have a sweet tooth but this was painfully so.

I only tried them a couple times when someone brought them from the
Mississauga outlet.I was not impressed. They were way too sweet.

> Like Dunkin Donuts. Not that I'm a big fan of donuts but they
> used to have some that I liked. Now they're trucked in.

Hortons donuts used to be made in store. In some cases, usually where
one person had a number of frnchise stores in an area, one store would
make them for the sister stores. There were pretty good, but not
consistent. Then they started the par baked nonsense and they went way
downhill. Krispee Kreme arrived here after that major downgrade, and
they still could not compete.

sf[_9_] 03-11-2013 06:11 AM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 20:55:57 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> Like Dunkin Donuts. Not that I'm a big fan of donuts but they
> used to have some that I liked. Now they're trucked in.

When I was a teenager, we had two Dunkin' Donuts here (good donuts,
great reputation) and I thought they were just a local chain. It
wasn't until I'd been reading RFC for years that I found out
otherwise.

sf[_9_] 03-11-2013 06:14 AM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 22:32:32 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Hortons donuts used to be made in store. In some cases, usually where
> one person had a number of frnchise stores in an area, one store would
> make them for the sister stores. There were pretty good, but not
> consistent. Then they started the par baked nonsense and they went way
> downhill. Krispee Kreme arrived here after that major downgrade, and
> they still could not compete.

I think store made donuts are usually good (krispy kreme excluded of
course), but I'm not an expert.

jmcquown[_2_] 03-11-2013 06:22 AM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On 11/3/2013 1:11 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 20:55:57 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>> Like Dunkin Donuts. Not that I'm a big fan of donuts but they
>> used to have some that I liked. Now they're trucked in.

> When I was a teenager, we had two Dunkin' Donuts here (good donuts,
> great reputation) and I thought they were just a local chain. It
> wasn't until I'd been reading RFC for years that I found out
> otherwise.

They opened a Dunkin' Donuts in Beaufort in 2010. Some of the folks I
worked with were thrilled. You know how some people love the coffee at
McD's? These folks would drive out of their way to pick up a cup of
coffee from Dunkin Donuts.

Jill

Nancy Young[_7_] 03-11-2013 11:43 AM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On 11/3/2013 1:22 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 11/3/2013 1:11 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 02 Nov 2013 20:55:57 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Like Dunkin Donuts. Not that I'm a big fan of donuts but they
>>> used to have some that I liked. Now they're trucked in.

>> When I was a teenager, we had two Dunkin' Donuts here (good donuts,
>> great reputation) and I thought they were just a local chain. It
>> wasn't until I'd been reading RFC for years that I found out
>> otherwise.
>>

> They opened a Dunkin' Donuts in Beaufort in 2010. Some of the folks I
> worked with were thrilled. You know how some people love the coffee at
> McD's? These folks would drive out of their way to pick up a cup of
> coffee from Dunkin Donuts.

I used to stop at Dunkin Donuts for coffee every morning. We
didn't have a coffee cart where I worked. That's how I got
hooked on light cream in my coffee and I still have that in my
coffee to this day.

nancy

Nancy Young[_7_] 03-11-2013 11:51 AM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On 11/3/2013 1:10 AM, MotoFox wrote:
> Quoth Nancy Young~
>
>> Like Dunkin Donuts. Not that I'm a big fan of donuts but they used to
>> have some that I liked. Now they're trucked in.

> I used to like Dunkin Doughnuts too, but what the hell happened to them?
> They had several locations around here, particularly in the '80s, but
> pretty much all disappeared from this area throughout the end of the
> '90s-early 2000s. Think the closest one to me at last was at least a good
> 15 miles down I205, in Clackamas.

That's funny to me, because that's the time frame when Dunkin Donuts
exploded, seemed like they opened one on every corner within the
space of a couple of years. Same time they stopped making the donuts
at the store. Much cheaper to open a location if you don't have to
have a kitchen, practically, I guess.

I read that donuts are really a small part of their business, it's
the drive through coffee that makes them their money.

> Do they even exist on the west coast today?

I have no idea, I thought they were everywhere in the states.

I first noticed they were everywhere in the Boston area. Thought
it maybe was my imagination until I took the Duck Tour and the
guide mentioned that Boston had more Dunkin Donuts per capita
than anywhere else. After that trip is when the number of
locations quintupled where I live, so who knows if that's still true.

nancy

Dave Smith[_1_] 03-11-2013 12:43 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On 2013-11-03 1:04 AM, MotoFox wrote:
> Quoth Dave Smith~
>
>> Should that have read "..... just cold, lumps of lard and sugar"?
>> Krispee Kreme opened a couple outlets in Canada but according to their
>> on-line store locator, they have expanded to a grand total of 5. They
>> have not managed to compete with Tim Horton's doughnut shops, even
>> though they launched here after Hortons had already stooped to the
>> inferior par-baked product.

> Do you know that in the two years I lived in Victoria (2002-2004) I never
> once went to Tim Horton's or consumed any of their products? Don't know
> why, actually. Guess I just never got round to it.
>
> I feel gypped.

If you lived Victoria you probably had a wide variety of choices. The
last time I was in Victoria I was in a coffee shop one a street corner
and there were coffee shops on the other three corners of that
intersection and a few more down the street. None of them were Hortons.

I am not saying Horton's is great. Their coffee and their donuts used to
be better. The thing is that they have had competition from a number of
other franchises and the others have not ousted them from their number
one spot. Despite the Krispy Kreme hype, they never managed to even get
away from the starting gate.

Ed Pawlowski 03-11-2013 01:02 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 06:51:57 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>I have no idea, I thought they were everywhere in the states.
>
>I first noticed they were everywhere in the Boston area. Thought
>it maybe was my imagination until I took the Duck Tour and the
>guide mentioned that Boston had more Dunkin Donuts per capita
>than anywhere else. After that trip is when the number of
>locations quintupled where I live, so who knows if that's still true.
>
>nancy

DD HQ is in Randolph MA, about 20 miles out of Boston. Our small town
with a population of 10,000 has three of them, plus a couple of other
coffee shops. Using a centralized baking place, they supply a lot of
small stores and the DD inside of a gas station. Seems like the
drive-up window always has a line.

Nancy Young[_7_] 03-11-2013 02:15 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On 11/3/2013 8:02 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 06:51:57 -0500, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>> I first noticed they were everywhere in the Boston area. Thought
>> it maybe was my imagination until I took the Duck Tour and the
>> guide mentioned that Boston had more Dunkin Donuts per capita
>> than anywhere else. After that trip is when the number of
>> locations quintupled where I live, so who knows if that's still true.

> DD HQ is in Randolph MA, about 20 miles out of Boston.

Aha, that explains it. I don't know why I noticed but it caught
my eye, then I saw them every other block. I'm exaggerating. A
bit.

> Our small town
> with a population of 10,000 has three of them, plus a couple of other
> coffee shops.

I'm not one to go out for coffee, but it is big business.

> Using a centralized baking place, they supply a lot of
> small stores and the DD inside of a gas station. Seems like the
> drive-up window always has a line.

That whole centralized baking thing ruined donuts for me.
I liked the sour cream donut (which might sound gooey but it was
plain, and had a really nice crispiness) and the original Dunkin
Donut with the 'handle' ... they just don't have the same
texture anymore and they seem like they're on the wrong side
of stale.

Not a great loss, I only got them once in a while, but I do miss
those. Okay, and the chocolate filled ones, I used to like those
too.

nancy

Dave Smith[_1_] 03-11-2013 05:57 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On 2013-11-03 9:15 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I first noticed they were everywhere in the Boston area. Thought
>>> it maybe was my imagination until I took the Duck Tour and the
>>> guide mentioned that Boston had more Dunkin Donuts per capita
>>> than anywhere else. After that trip is when the number of
>>> locations quintupled where I live, so who knows if that's still true.

>> DD HQ is in Randolph MA, about 20 miles out of Boston.

> Aha, that explains it. I don't know why I noticed but it caught
> my eye, then I saw them every other block. I'm exaggerating. A
> bit.

I thought that Hamilton ON would have the most Tim Hortons per capita
but I was wrong. That honour goes to Moncton NB. That town of only
65,000 has 22 Hortons outlets.

> That whole centralized baking thing ruined donuts for me.
> I liked the sour cream donut (which might sound gooey but it was
> plain, and had a really nice crispiness) and the original Dunkin
> Donut with the 'handle' ... they just don't have the same
> texture anymore and they seem like they're on the wrong side
> of stale.

When they used to make the donuts in the stores they were so much
better. I used to like to get glazed donuts while they were still
warm. Once they have cooled off they lose 90% of their appeal.

> Not a great loss, I only got them once in a while, but I do miss
> those. Okay, and the chocolate filled ones, I used to like those
> too.

I used to go out for bicycle rides and pedal 10-15 miles, stop for a
coffee and donut and then pedal home. Then I had a cardiac issue and
donuts were stricken from my diet. Now I pedal that distance, turn
around and pedal home.

sf[_9_] 03-11-2013 06:11 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 01:22:03 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

> They opened a Dunkin' Donuts in Beaufort in 2010. Some of the folks I
> worked with were thrilled. You know how some people love the coffee at
> McD's? These folks would drive out of their way to pick up a cup of
> coffee from Dunkin Donuts.

I will confirm that McDonald's coffee is top notch. I wouldn't go out
of my way for one, but if it's on my side of the street on the way to
work and I intended to get coffee to go anyway, I'll get my coffee
there. I'd rather have coffee and a sausage McMuffin than coffee and
a donut (although I do *love* bear claws). Sweets in the morning
don't do anything for me.

sf[_9_] 03-11-2013 06:16 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 06:04:46 +0000, MotoFox >
wrote:

> Do you know that in the two years I lived in Victoria (2002-2004) I never
> once went to Tim Horton's or consumed any of their products? Don't know
> why, actually. Guess I just never got round to it.
>
> I feel gypped.

After being on one of only two flights that were cancelled during one
of Rome's ubiquitous general strikes, we were rerouted through Germany
and changed planes in Calgary, Canada for the last leg home. I
spotted a Tim Horton's in the terminal and was about to get a cup of
coffee when we were called to board our connecting flight. That was
the least amount of time I've ever spent making a connection, so
although I was glad I could be on my way quickly - I feel cheated too.
;)

sf[_9_] 03-11-2013 06:29 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 06:10:34 +0000, MotoFox >
wrote:

> Do they even exist on the west coast today?

DD's store locator sucks, so I had to Google the information. There
are three outlets well within 10 miles of where I live. Didn't check
the East Bay.

jmcquown[_2_] 03-11-2013 06:49 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On 11/3/2013 1:11 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 01:22:03 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> They opened a Dunkin' Donuts in Beaufort in 2010. Some of the folks I
>> worked with were thrilled. You know how some people love the coffee at
>> McD's? These folks would drive out of their way to pick up a cup of
>> coffee from Dunkin Donuts.

> I will confirm that McDonald's coffee is top notch. I wouldn't go out
> of my way for one, but if it's on my side of the street on the way to
> work and I intended to get coffee to go anyway, I'll get my coffee
> there. I'd rather have coffee and a sausage McMuffin than coffee and
> a donut (although I do *love* bear claws). Sweets in the morning
> don't do anything for me.

I like McD's coffee. When I was taking classes some years ago I'd stop
in for a McMuffin and a cup of coffee. You know me, I wouldn't be
looking for sweets for breakfast, either.

I pointed out to the co-workers they could buy bags of Dunkin' Donuts
ground coffee and make it themselves. They said it wouldn't be the
same. <shrug>

Jill

Ed Pawlowski 03-11-2013 09:30 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On Sun, 03 Nov 2013 13:49:46 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>I like McD's coffee. When I was taking classes some years ago I'd stop
>in for a McMuffin and a cup of coffee. You know me, I wouldn't be
>looking for sweets for breakfast, either.

In our area they use Newman's Own brand.

>I pointed out to the co-workers they could buy bags of Dunkin' Donuts
>ground coffee and make it themselves. They said it wouldn't be the
>same. <shrug>
>
>Jill

That could be. If you have crappy water and poor brewing methods it
won't be the same. Most people though, just like the convenience of
waiting in line for 10 minutes at the drive up instead of taking 6
minutes to make their own.

Dave Smith[_1_] 03-11-2013 09:57 PM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On 2013-11-03 4:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> That could be. If you have crappy water and poor brewing methods it
> won't be the same. Most people though, just like the convenience of
> waiting in line for 10 minutes at the drive up instead of taking 6
> minutes to make their own.

It's part of their live long refusal to believe that they live in
denial. The restaurants have drive thru windows so you don't have to
get out of your car and go in to get your food and stand in line with
the rabble. Instead, they like to delude themselves into thinking that
the drive thru is there for their personal convenience and that there
will not be a huge line up when they scoot in there at peak periods.

I rarely use drive thru windows. I am more likely to go in and order at
the counter, which is usually faster. I realized a long time ago that
the real reason for the drive thru is that they can sell their food
without having to provide a larger lot with more parking spaces, a
larger building with more tables, and more staff to clean the extra
floor space and tables. It amazes me that people can delude themselves
into thinking it constitutes better service.

Nancy2[_2_] 04-11-2013 01:02 AM

Krispy Kreme waffles

Our new Dunkin shop makes them on site. Maybe the mixes are trucked in....

N.

sf[_9_] 04-11-2013 04:55 AM

Krispy Kreme waffles

On Sun, 3 Nov 2013 17:02:07 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

> Our new Dunkin shop makes them on site. Maybe the mixes are trucked in....

Yay! What's old is new again. :)