Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Celeriac

I've never eaten celeriac, but was wondering is it a good vegetable to have
with a sunday roast?

What vegetable can it be compared with, and what is best way to prepare and
cook it?

Does it have a distinctive taste?

Thumper

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2013 12:14 PM, Thumper wrote:
> I've never eaten celeriac, but was wondering is it a good vegetable to
> have with a sunday roast?
>
> What vegetable can it be compared with, and what is best way to prepare
> and cook it?
>
> Does it have a distinctive taste?
>
> Thumper

Sorry I can't tell you about the taste but here's some information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeriac

"Celeriac may be roasted, stewed, blanched, or mashed. Sliced celeriac
occurs as an ingredient in soups, casseroles, and other savory dishes."

Allegedly it tastes a lot like celery. So if you like celery, sounds
like it might work well with your Sunday roast.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Thumper" > wrote in message
> I've never eaten celeriac, but was wondering is it a good vegetable to
> have with a sunday roast?
>
> What vegetable can it be compared with, and what is best way to prepare
> and cook it?
>
> Does it have a distinctive taste?

It tastes of celery. Celeriac mash is good as is a gratin with layers of
potato alternating with celeriac.
The following recipe is superb:
http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...shallots-and-p

Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news

> "Thumper" > wrote in message
>> I've never eaten celeriac, but was wondering is it a good vegetable to
>> have with a sunday roast?
>>
>> What vegetable can it be compared with, and what is best way to prepare
>> and cook it?
>>
>> Does it have a distinctive taste?
>>

> It tastes of celery. Celeriac mash is good as is a gratin with layers of
> potato alternating with celeriac.
> The following recipe is superb:
> http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...shallots-and-p
>
> Graham

By the way, from my ISP the connection takes nearly a minute to go through
some service called "wunderloop".
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 10/26/2013 12:14 PM, Thumper wrote:
>> I've never eaten celeriac, but was wondering is it a good vegetable to
>> have with a sunday roast?
>>
>> What vegetable can it be compared with, and what is best way to prepare
>> and cook it?
>>
>> Does it have a distinctive taste?
>>
>> Thumper

> Sorry I can't tell you about the taste but here's some information:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeriac
>
> "Celeriac may be roasted, stewed, blanched, or mashed. Sliced celeriac
> occurs as an ingredient in soups, casseroles, and other savory dishes."
>
> Allegedly it tastes a lot like celery. So if you like celery, sounds like
> it might work well with your Sunday roast.

Sounds like celery too but looks completely different. I've eaten celery
cold as part of a cheese board and it was ok.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news

> "Thumper" > wrote in message
>> I've never eaten celeriac, but was wondering is it a good vegetable to
>> have with a sunday roast?
>>
>> What vegetable can it be compared with, and what is best way to prepare
>> and cook it?
>>
>> Does it have a distinctive taste?
>>

> It tastes of celery. Celeriac mash is good as is a gratin with layers of
> potato alternating with celeriac.
> The following recipe is superb:
> http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...shallots-and-p

Looks very tasty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 17:14:50 +0100, "Thumper" >
wrote:

>I've never eaten celeriac, but was wondering is it a good vegetable to have
>with a sunday roast?
>
>What vegetable can it be compared with, and what is best way to prepare and
>cook it?
>
>Does it have a distinctive taste?
>
>Thumper

I like celery, raw or cooked, however celeriac tastes like celery but
has a very different texture that I don't like, kinda like the texture
of cooked rutabagas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Thumper" > wrote in message

> "graham" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> "Thumper" > wrote in message
>>> I've never eaten celeriac, but was wondering is it a good vegetable to
>>> have with a sunday roast?
>>>
>>> What vegetable can it be compared with, and what is best way to prepare
>>> and cook it?
>>>
>>> Does it have a distinctive taste?
>>>

>> It tastes of celery. Celeriac mash is good as is a gratin with layers of
>> potato alternating with celeriac.
>> The following recipe is superb:
>> http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1...shallots-and-p
>>

> Looks very tasty.

It is! I've served it at dinner parties and it has gone down well.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/26/2013 5:25 PM, Thumper wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 10/26/2013 12:14 PM, Thumper wrote:
>>> I've never eaten celeriac, but was wondering is it a good vegetable to
>>> have with a sunday roast?
>>>
>>> What vegetable can it be compared with, and what is best way to prepare
>>> and cook it?
>>>
>>> Does it have a distinctive taste?
>>>
>>> Thumper

>> Sorry I can't tell you about the taste but here's some information:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeriac
>>
>> "Celeriac may be roasted, stewed, blanched, or mashed. Sliced celeriac
>> occurs as an ingredient in soups, casseroles, and other savory dishes."
>>
>> Allegedly it tastes a lot like celery. So if you like celery, sounds
>> like it might work well with your Sunday roast.
>>

> Sounds like celery too but looks completely different. I've eaten celery
> cold as part of a cheese board and it was ok.

As others have also said, it apparently tastes similar to celery. But
it's a bulb, a root vegetable, so naturally it won't have the same
texture. The wiki link indicates you can roast it, and since you're
planning a Sunday roast, if you have celeriac, give it a try.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 13:04:28 -0600, graham wrote:
>
>> By the way, from my ISP the connection takes nearly a minute to go
>> through
>> some service called "wunderloop".

> If your network traffic is being routed through Wunderloop.net then
> you most likely have a virus (or rather, several of them). Wunderloop
> is spyware/adware that intercepts your network traffic for advertising
> purposes.

I thought that but I use ESET on a daily basis and it includes anti-spyware.
I also use Spybot.
Wunderloop only appears on that BBC site and one UK newspaper. Perhaps they
are using the service.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 08:51:12 -0600, graham wrote:

>>> If your network traffic is being routed through Wunderloop.net then
>>> you most likely have a virus (or rather, several of them). Wunderloop
>>> is spyware/adware that intercepts your network traffic for advertising
>>> purposes.
>>>

>> I thought that but I use ESET on a daily basis and it includes
>> anti-spyware.
>> I also use Spybot.
>> Wunderloop only appears on that BBC site and one UK newspaper. Perhaps
>> they
>> are using the service.

> I don't see any network connections to Wunderloop when I visit that
> site. But I use Adblock+ which could be blocking any attempts to
> contact that site (thankfully).
>
> So I disabled Ghostery and Adblock+ and I still don't see any
> Wunderlust (using TCPView).

I have been using Adblock + but for some reason Ghostery wasn't running so I
re-loaded it. I've just gone to both sites with no problem.
Thanks for your advice!
Graham

Is celeriac an acquired taste? Jax[_2_] General Cooking 6 13-11-2013 09:48 PM
Celeriac Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 41 21-05-2011 08:48 PM
Mandoline and celeriac Michael Horowitz General Cooking 4 20-02-2010 10:55 PM
Celeriac soup Serene General Cooking 1 01-10-2007 03:18 PM
Lunch - Celeriac Soup Dee Randall General Cooking 0 28-12-2005 08:50 PM