Mikko Peltoniemi

Default Mail order tomatoes

There have been commercials here on TV selling tomatoes. I'm sure
other ones here have seen the commercial as well. For something
like $20-$30 they promise to send 8 (!) tomatoes to you each month.

Great idea. I mean they promise the tomatoes are picked red, and
taste great. But the price astounds me. For that price, they better
be pumpkin sized tomatoes. I must've understood something wrong...

Oh yeah, and you get some kind of seasoning set of sea salt and
olive oil. Wow.

--
Mikko Peltoniemi
Film & Video Editor, Avid Technician at large.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Mikko Peltoniemi" > wrote in message
> There have been commercials here on TV selling tomatoes. I'm sure
> other ones here have seen the commercial as well. For something
> like $20-$30 they promise to send 8 (!) tomatoes to you each month.
>
> Great idea. I mean they promise the tomatoes are picked red, and
> taste great. But the price astounds me. For that price, they better
> be pumpkin sized tomatoes. I must've understood something wrong...
>
> Oh yeah, and you get some kind of seasoning set of sea salt and
> olive oil. Wow.

Depends on the weight of the tomatoes, as well as the quality. This past
summer the farmer's were getting up to $3 a pound for the better quality.
If they fruits are a half pound, or 4 pounds per shipment, it is in line
with other mail-order foods. Have a look at the prices of Ozark Smokehouse,
Harry & David, Omaha Steaks, etc. I guess there is a market as there are a
lot of mail-order food sellers.
Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mikko Peltoniemi" > wrote in message
> There have been commercials here on TV selling tomatoes. I'm sure
> other ones here have seen the commercial as well. For something
> like $20-$30 they promise to send 8 (!) tomatoes to you each month.
>
> Great idea. I mean they promise the tomatoes are picked red, and
> taste great. But the price astounds me. For that price, they better
> be pumpkin sized tomatoes. I must've understood something wrong...
>
> Oh yeah, and you get some kind of seasoning set of sea salt and
> olive oil. Wow.

Depends on the weight of the tomatoes, as well as the quality. This past
summer the farmer's were getting up to $3 a pound for the better quality.
If they fruits are a half pound, or 4 pounds per shipment, it is in line
with other mail-order foods. Have a look at the prices of Ozark Smokehouse,
Harry & David, Omaha Steaks, etc. I guess there is a market as there are a
lot of mail-order food sellers.
Ed

PENMART01

>"Mikko Peltoniemi" wrote:
>
>There have been commercials here on TV selling tomatoes. I'm sure
>other ones here have seen the commercial as well. For something
>like $20-$30 they promise to send 8 (!) tomatoes to you each month.
>
>Great idea. I mean they promise the tomatoes are picked red, and
>taste great. But the price astounds me. For that price, they better
>be pumpkin sized tomatoes. I must've understood something wrong...
>
>Oh yeah, and you get some kind of seasoning set of sea salt and
>olive oil. Wow.

You get the fixin's for quality salad dressing too, wow... sounds like a great
bargain to me. You say "each month" (kinda implies more than one month), so
for how many months will they send you tomatoes? If for a one time payment of
$30 they're gonna send you 8 tomatoes each month (plus fixin's) for a year
(12months = 96 tomatoes) then grab it... at 31¢ for each tomato delivered to
your door it's a great bargain. But if you gotta sign up to make a $30 payment
each month for a year ($360) that comes to $3.75 per tomato it's a big fat rip
off. especially if you gotta pay for the entire year up front.

But dispair not...

If you have a sunny window, especially a big glass sliding door that gets full
sun, then it's extremely easy to grow potted tomatoes indoors all winter....
the patio hybrids are quite prolific, 3-4 plants will supply more than you can
use. Big clay pots, potting soil mixture, and plants will cost the same $30.
I have the perfect spot, a south facing sliding glass patio door, an 8ft glass
wall... the only reason I don't do it is because I have six cats... I gave up
on any kind of indoor plants a long time ago.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

>"Mikko Peltoniemi" wrote:
>
>There have been commercials here on TV selling tomatoes. I'm sure
>other ones here have seen the commercial as well. For something
>like $20-$30 they promise to send 8 (!) tomatoes to you each month.
>
>Great idea. I mean they promise the tomatoes are picked red, and
>taste great. But the price astounds me. For that price, they better
>be pumpkin sized tomatoes. I must've understood something wrong...
>
>Oh yeah, and you get some kind of seasoning set of sea salt and
>olive oil. Wow.

You get the fixin's for quality salad dressing too, wow... sounds like a great
bargain to me. You say "each month" (kinda implies more than one month), so
for how many months will they send you tomatoes? If for a one time payment of
$30 they're gonna send you 8 tomatoes each month (plus fixin's) for a year
(12months = 96 tomatoes) then grab it... at 31¢ for each tomato delivered to
your door it's a great bargain. But if you gotta sign up to make a $30 payment
each month for a year ($360) that comes to $3.75 per tomato it's a big fat rip
off. especially if you gotta pay for the entire year up front.

But dispair not...

If you have a sunny window, especially a big glass sliding door that gets full
sun, then it's extremely easy to grow potted tomatoes indoors all winter....
the patio hybrids are quite prolific, 3-4 plants will supply more than you can
use. Big clay pots, potting soil mixture, and plants will cost the same $30.
I have the perfect spot, a south facing sliding glass patio door, an 8ft glass
wall... the only reason I don't do it is because I have six cats... I gave up
on any kind of indoor plants a long time ago.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

>"Mikko Peltoniemi" wrote:
>
>There have been commercials here on TV selling tomatoes. I'm sure
>other ones here have seen the commercial as well. For something
>like $20-$30 they promise to send 8 (!) tomatoes to you each month.
>
>Great idea. I mean they promise the tomatoes are picked red, and
>taste great. But the price astounds me. For that price, they better
>be pumpkin sized tomatoes. I must've understood something wrong...
>
>Oh yeah, and you get some kind of seasoning set of sea salt and
>olive oil. Wow.

You get the fixin's for quality salad dressing too, wow... sounds like a great
bargain to me. You say "each month" (kinda implies more than one month), so
for how many months will they send you tomatoes? If for a one time payment of
$30 they're gonna send you 8 tomatoes each month (plus fixin's) for a year
(12months = 96 tomatoes) then grab it... at 31¢ for each tomato delivered to
your door it's a great bargain. But if you gotta sign up to make a $30 payment
each month for a year ($360) that comes to $3.75 per tomato it's a big fat rip
off. especially if you gotta pay for the entire year up front.

But dispair not...

If you have a sunny window, especially a big glass sliding door that gets full
sun, then it's extremely easy to grow potted tomatoes indoors all winter....
the patio hybrids are quite prolific, 3-4 plants will supply more than you can
use. Big clay pots, potting soil mixture, and plants will cost the same $30.
I have the perfect spot, a south facing sliding glass patio door, an 8ft glass
wall... the only reason I don't do it is because I have six cats... I gave up
on any kind of indoor plants a long time ago.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Nancy Young

Mikko Peltoniemi wrote:

> There have been commercials here on TV selling tomatoes. I'm sure
> other ones here have seen the commercial as well. For something
> like $20-$30 they promise to send 8 (!) tomatoes to you each month.

I saw that!!!! What a ripoff. I am not spending $30 a month for
someone to send me 8 tomatoes which I guarantee will not be perfectly
red and ripe, as they say.

nancy (if anyone is interested, I could send you 8 tomatoes for
$28 a month)
Nancy Young

Mikko Peltoniemi wrote:

> There have been commercials here on TV selling tomatoes. I'm sure
> other ones here have seen the commercial as well. For something
> like $20-$30 they promise to send 8 (!) tomatoes to you each month.

I saw that!!!! What a ripoff. I am not spending $30 a month for
someone to send me 8 tomatoes which I guarantee will not be perfectly
red and ripe, as they say.

nancy (if anyone is interested, I could send you 8 tomatoes for
$28 a month)
zxcvbob

Nancy Young wrote:

> Mikko Peltoniemi wrote:
>
>>There have been commercials here on TV selling tomatoes. I'm sure
>>other ones here have seen the commercial as well. For something
>>like $20-$30 they promise to send 8 (!) tomatoes to you each month.

> I saw that!!!! What a ripoff. I am not spending $30 a month for
> someone to send me 8 tomatoes which I guarantee will not be perfectly
> red and ripe, as they say.
>
> nancy (if anyone is interested, I could send you 8 tomatoes for
> $28 a month)

What's wrong with using canned tomatoes in the winter and spring, and
let fresh tomatoes be a summer and fall treat? I can see where a
perfect tomato might be a February treat worth $4 or $5, but do you
really need 8 of them a month? Would you really appreciate that 8th
one? And from July to September, can't you find better tomatoes yourself?

Bob
zxcvbob

Nancy Young wrote:

> Mikko Peltoniemi wrote:
>
>>There have been commercials here on TV selling tomatoes. I'm sure
>>other ones here have seen the commercial as well. For something
>>like $20-$30 they promise to send 8 (!) tomatoes to you each month.

> I saw that!!!! What a ripoff. I am not spending $30 a month for
> someone to send me 8 tomatoes which I guarantee will not be perfectly
> red and ripe, as they say.
>
> nancy (if anyone is interested, I could send you 8 tomatoes for
> $28 a month)

What's wrong with using canned tomatoes in the winter and spring, and
let fresh tomatoes be a summer and fall treat? I can see where a
perfect tomato might be a February treat worth $4 or $5, but do you
really need 8 of them a month? Would you really appreciate that 8th
one? And from July to September, can't you find better tomatoes yourself?

Bob

zxcvbob

Nancy Young wrote:

> Mikko Peltoniemi wrote:
>
>>There have been commercials here on TV selling tomatoes. I'm sure
>>other ones here have seen the commercial as well. For something
>>like $20-$30 they promise to send 8 (!) tomatoes to you each month.

> I saw that!!!! What a ripoff. I am not spending $30 a month for
> someone to send me 8 tomatoes which I guarantee will not be perfectly
> red and ripe, as they say.
>
> nancy (if anyone is interested, I could send you 8 tomatoes for
> $28 a month)

What's wrong with using canned tomatoes in the winter and spring, and
let fresh tomatoes be a summer and fall treat? I can see where a
perfect tomato might be a February treat worth $4 or $5, but do you
really need 8 of them a month? Would you really appreciate that 8th
one? And from July to September, can't you find better tomatoes yourself?

Bob

Mail order fail. Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 92 01-02-2016 03:38 AM
Mail order Chai PLucas[_8_] General Cooking 0 09-09-2010 04:36 AM
mail order Norwegian kransekake? Karen General Cooking 9 20-02-2007 05:45 PM
Need Mail Order Source Rob L Barbecue 12 25-10-2005 06:02 AM
Where to mail order All Cald from? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 3 15-01-2005 05:43 PM