FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cutlery and More's MIU conical burr coffee bean grinder arrived! (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/425774-re-cutlery-mores-miu.html)

notbob 26-09-2013 01:15 PM

On 2013-09-26, mawil1013 > wrote:

> Here are pics of the conical grinding plates.

Those are not conical burrs, they're what's known as flat burrs. Not
a bad thing. Some of the best grinders on the mkt use flat burrs. As
long as they're not plastic burrs, like some low-end grinders, you
should be OK. If you cannot get expresso grind from that grinder with
a single pass, you were screwed and should return it.

If yer serious about good coffee, you'll roast yer own:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php

If you do roast yer own, green beans are half the cost of roasted
beans. EXCEPT for Whole Foods, which will charge you full price for
green beans, the greedy bums.

nb

mawil1013 26-09-2013 10:18 PM

On 9/26/2013 8:15 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-09-26, mawil1013 > wrote:
>
>> Here are pics of the conical grinding plates.

> Those are not conical burrs, they're what's known as flat burrs. Not
> a bad thing. Some of the best grinders on the mkt use flat burrs. As
> long as they're not plastic burrs, like some low-end grinders, you
> should be OK. If you cannot get expresso grind from that grinder with
> a single pass, you were screwed and should return it.
>
> If yer serious about good coffee, you'll roast yer own:
>
> http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php
>
> If you do roast yer own, green beans are half the cost of roasted
> beans. EXCEPT for Whole Foods, which will charge you full price for
> green beans, the greedy bums.
>
> nb

Some day I might roast, one step at a time...

brooklyn1 27-09-2013 02:32 AM

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 17:18:23 -0400, mawil1013 > wrote:

>On 9/26/2013 8:15 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2013-09-26, mawil1013 > wrote:
>>
>>> Here are pics of the conical grinding plates.

>> Those are not conical burrs, they're what's known as flat burrs. Not
>> a bad thing. Some of the best grinders on the mkt use flat burrs. As
>> long as they're not plastic burrs, like some low-end grinders, you
>> should be OK. If you cannot get expresso grind from that grinder with
>> a single pass, you were screwed and should return it.
>>
>> If yer serious about good coffee, you'll roast yer own:
>>
>> http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php
>>
>> If you do roast yer own, green beans are half the cost of roasted
>> beans. EXCEPT for Whole Foods, which will charge you full price for
>> green beans, the greedy bums.
>>
>> nb
>>

>Some day I might roast, one step at a time...

I used to own my own coffee business. In recent years coffee has
evolved into a cult. Individuals are spending (actually wasting) lots
of money on beans, and equipment. The coffee bean emporiums know less
about coffee then you... they're small volume buyers who get the
dregs. You are far better off buying the big brand name coffees
because of the large volume they purchase they get first pick of the
best of the crop. Walmart buys more coffee than all the others
combined (indeed they do), they have the very best coffee, and sell to
consumers at the lowest prices. I used to be heavy into roasting and
grinding... no more, Walmart coffee is better than any other because
they get first pick, coffee is a crop after all, no different from any
other crop. Walmart buys coffee beans like Heinz buys tomatoes.
You can't have better coffee unless you grow your own and maybe not
even then... read he reviews:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Valu....9-oz/16004731
My coffee mill is now in storage.

Gary 27-09-2013 04:15 PM

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I used to own my own coffee business.

Yeah, right! splat! ;)

> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Valu....9-oz/16004731

Well Sheldon...you have mentioned this coffee many times before and I
will trust you. I'm going to buy a can tomorrow morning.

I do LOVE Walmart but it's just too far away for me to bother with.
Tomorrow will be only the 3rd or 4th time I've been there in the last
5.5 years. I'm spoiled...most of my stores are only a mile or so away
and Walmart is 9 miles each way.....long distance traveling to me.

I have a few things from there that I want to get. I've been putting
it off for too long but tomorrow morning I will be there before the
sun comes up. I love that they are open here 24/7. I'll get there no
later than 5-5:30 then be back in my area to stop by the grocery store
that opens by 6am.

G.

brooklyn1 27-09-2013 08:41 PM

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:15:18 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> I used to own my own coffee business.

>Yeah, right! splat! ;)

I did indeed own my own coffee business... when ADCs first came out
and were only for lease, not for sale... posted about it often here. I
made a lot of money selling coffee to my ADC leasees.

Gregory Morrow[_417_] 28-09-2013 12:01 AM

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 11:15:18 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>

> >Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> I used to own my own coffee business.

> >Yeah, right! splat! ;)

> I did indeed own my own coffee business... when ADCs first came out
>
> and were only for lease, not for sale... posted about it often here. I
>
> made a lot of money selling coffee to my ADC leasees.

And coffee is less greazy than Chicken Dee-Lite...

--
Best
Greg

brooklyn1 28-09-2013 01:32 AM

Cutlery and More's MIU conical burr coffee bean grinder arrived!

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 16:01:08 -0700 (PDT), Gregory Morrow
> wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> >Yeah, right! splat! ;)

>> I did indeed own my own coffee business... when ADCs first came out
>>
>> and were only for lease, not for sale... posted about it often here. I
>>
>> made a lot of money selling coffee to my ADC leasees.

>And coffee is less greazy than Chicken Dee-Lite...

I worked for Chicken Delight too... in Brooklyn's Fort Green Market,
in ancient times, before the pyramids, before there was dirt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Delight

Gregory Morrow[_417_] 29-09-2013 09:44 PM

Sheldon wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 16:01:08 -0700 (PDT), Gregory Morrow
>
> > wrote:
>

> >Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> I did indeed own my own coffee business... when ADCs first came out

> >> and were only for lease, not for sale... posted about it often here. I

> >> made a lot of money selling coffee to my ADC leasees.

> >And coffee is less greazy than Chicken Dee-Lite...

> I worked for Chicken Delight too... in Brooklyn's Fort Green Market,
>
> in ancient times, before the pyramids, before there was dirt.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Delight

Interestingly, their HQ back in the day was IIRC in Rock Island IL, a few miles from where I was a-borned...

--
Best
Greg