Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pizza night 9-22-2013

I made my own dough, which was enough for three pizzas: Potato, Fig &
Prosciutto and a regular one with Italian sausage, mushrooms etc.

I'd never made potato pizza before tonight. I sliced the potatoes thin
on a mandoline and followed this recipe without too much variation.

Rosemary Potato Pizza
http://www.cooktj.com/trader-joes-re...y-potato-pizza
here is what it looked like (very thin crust with lots of bubbles)
http://oi43.tinypic.com/4jul51.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2013 1:40 AM, sf wrote:

> I made my own dough, which was enough for three pizzas: Potato, Fig &
> Prosciutto and a regular one with Italian sausage, mushrooms etc.
>
> I'd never made potato pizza before tonight. I sliced the potatoes thin
> on a mandoline and followed this recipe without too much variation.
>
> Rosemary Potato Pizza
> http://www.cooktj.com/trader-joes-re...y-potato-pizza
> here is what it looked like (very thin crust with lots of bubbles)
> http://oi43.tinypic.com/4jul51.jpg

Looks interesting. I've never made a potato pizza, but have had it from
a nearby restaurant. Th ey put ricotta cheese and broccoli on theirs.
I may try this by itself and with variations.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 22:40:09 -0700, sf > wrote:

>I made my own dough, which was enough for three pizzas: Potato, Fig &
>Prosciutto and a regular one with Italian sausage, mushrooms etc.
>
>I'd never made potato pizza before tonight. I sliced the potatoes thin
>on a mandoline and followed this recipe without too much variation.
>
>Rosemary Potato Pizza
>http://www.cooktj.com/trader-joes-re...y-potato-pizza
>here is what it looked like (very thin crust with lots of bubbles)
>http://oi43.tinypic.com/4jul51.jpg

Very good looking. I'd like to try some. I've never had potato
pizza. I think I have a recipe somewhere.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I made my own dough, which was enough for three pizzas: Potato, Fig &
> Prosciutto and a regular one with Italian sausage, mushrooms
> etc. -snip-

Where's my invitation? We had potatoe and bacon pizza at a pizza
parlor just a few months- sounded odd, looked odd, but boy, oh boy, it
was tasty.

Fig and prosciutto reminds me of ham and pineapple - a sweet and a
savory.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2013 3:06 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
>> I made my own dough, which was enough for three pizzas: Potato, Fig &
>> Prosciutto and a regular one with Italian sausage, mushrooms
>> etc. -snip-

> Where's my invitation? We had potatoe and bacon pizza at a pizza
> parlor just a few months- sounded odd, looked odd, but boy, oh boy, it
> was tasty.
>
> Fig and prosciutto reminds me of ham and pineapple - a sweet and a
> savory.
>
> -S-

I think I had pineapple and ham pizza many years ago in Jasper, Alberta.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 09:05:44 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 22:40:09 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

> >I made my own dough, which was enough for three pizzas: Potato, Fig &
> >Prosciutto and a regular one with Italian sausage, mushrooms etc.
> >
> >I'd never made potato pizza before tonight. I sliced the potatoes thin
> >on a mandoline and followed this recipe without too much variation.
> >
> >Rosemary Potato Pizza
> >http://www.cooktj.com/trader-joes-re...y-potato-pizza
> >here is what it looked like (very thin crust with lots of bubbles)
> >http://oi43.tinypic.com/4jul51.jpg

> Very good looking. I'd like to try some. I've never had potato
> pizza. I think I have a recipe somewhere.

It's MUCH better tasting than you might think, Janet! I love them
sliced so thinly and will do that again. I have some prosciutto
leftover from the fig pizza, so I think I'll use it with the potato
and rosemary next time. I can actually visualize a breakfast
(brunchy) type pizza with the potatoes, prosciutto and an egg now
because I've had all the components other ways and liked them - so why
not?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:06:43 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> Fig and prosciutto reminds me of ham and pineapple - a sweet and a
> savory.

It's SO good! I couldn't rest until I made it again and fig season is
over quickly. I used fig jam on the last one, freshly made fig and
pear jam on this one - but the jam I made was too sweet for me, so
I'll stick with Trader Joe's commercial fig jam (less work for me,
too).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 12:28:18 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:06:43 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
>wrote:
>
>> Fig and prosciutto reminds me of ham and pineapple - a sweet and a
>> savory.

>It's SO good! I couldn't rest until I made it again and fig season is
>over quickly. I used fig jam on the last one, freshly made fig and
>pear jam on this one - but the jam I made was too sweet for me, so
>I'll stick with Trader Joe's commercial fig jam (less work for me,
>too).

The figs that I got at Costco this year were really sweet.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 14:01:04 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 12:28:18 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:06:43 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Fig and prosciutto reminds me of ham and pineapple - a sweet and a
> >> savory.

> >It's SO good! I couldn't rest until I made it again and fig season is
> >over quickly. I used fig jam on the last one, freshly made fig and
> >pear jam on this one - but the jam I made was too sweet for me, so
> >I'll stick with Trader Joe's commercial fig jam (less work for me,
> >too).

> The figs that I got at Costco this year were really sweet.

That could explain it, but the pears were really ripe and sweet too.
Good thing I only used a fraction of the sugar suggested - but I
should have put more lemon. Oh well. I didn't like the combination
to make more fig-pear combo to jar. Found a recipe for fig and
raspberry jam this morning which sounded appealing - but I'm doubting
my ability to visualize flavors at the moment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I made my own dough, which was enough for three pizzas: Potato, Fig &
> Prosciutto and a regular one with Italian sausage, mushrooms etc.
>
> I'd never made potato pizza before tonight. I sliced the potatoes thin
> on a mandoline and followed this recipe without too much variation.
>
> Rosemary Potato Pizza
> http://www.cooktj.com/trader-joes-re...y-potato-pizza
> here is what it looked like (very thin crust with lots of bubbles)
> http://oi43.tinypic.com/4jul51.jpg

That looks very good and I see that you said you liked it and will
make it again. That's the best taste review.

Take any pics of your other 2 pizzas?

I made my vegetable one yesterday. Taste is fantastic but the pics I
took not so good. Oh well.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> I made my own dough, which was enough for three pizzas: Potato, Fig &
> Prosciutto and a regular one with Italian sausage, mushrooms etc.
>
> I'd never made potato pizza before tonight. I sliced the potatoes thin
> on a mandoline and followed this recipe without too much variation.
>
> Rosemary Potato Pizza
> http://www.cooktj.com/trader-joes-re...y-potato-pizza
> here is what it looked like (very thin crust with lots of bubbles)
> http://oi43.tinypic.com/4jul51.jpg

Does this taste more like French fries, or Pierogi pizza ?

I'd like to see something like this in the states.
http://www.thekitchn.com/the-best-pi...n-italy-152864

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2013 7:40 PM, sf wrote:

> I made my own dough, which was enough for three pizzas: Potato, Fig &
> Prosciutto and a regular one with Italian sausage, mushrooms etc.
>
> I'd never made potato pizza before tonight. I sliced the potatoes thin
> on a mandoline and followed this recipe without too much variation.
>
> Rosemary Potato Pizza
> http://www.cooktj.com/trader-joes-re...y-potato-pizza
> here is what it looked like (very thin crust with lots of bubbles)
> http://oi43.tinypic.com/4jul51.jpg

I think I'll make a pizza. My wife has to eat no fat foods for a week or
two so I guess there can't be any cheese. So far I've got a garlic and
tomato sauce pizza I could add some tofu but that sounds horrible. As it
goes, she can have all the angel food cake and marshmallows she desires. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 9/22/2013 7:40 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> I made my own dough, which was enough for three pizzas: Potato, Fig &
>> Prosciutto and a regular one with Italian sausage, mushrooms etc.
>>
>> I'd never made potato pizza before tonight. I sliced the potatoes thin
>> on a mandoline and followed this recipe without too much variation.
>>
>> Rosemary Potato Pizza
>> http://www.cooktj.com/trader-joes-re...y-potato-pizza
>> here is what it looked like (very thin crust with lots of bubbles)
>> http://oi43.tinypic.com/4jul51.jpg
>>

> I think I'll make a pizza. My wife has to eat no fat foods for a week or
> two so I guess there can't be any cheese. So far I've got a garlic and
> tomato sauce pizza I could add some tofu but that sounds horrible. As it
> goes, she can have all the angel food cake and marshmallows she desires.
> :-)

.... and I bet you will make sure she has plenty)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> I think I'll make a pizza. My wife has to eat no fat foods for a week
> or two so I guess there can't be any cheese. So far I've got a garlic
> and tomato sauce pizza I could add some tofu but that sounds
> horrible.

Tomato sauce and garlic reminds me of "marinara" pizza: a classic, topped
with just tomato sauce, coarsely minced garlic, fresh oregano and EVO oil.
My GF usually orders it asking for an addition of anchovies
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 01:13:22 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

> sf > wrote:
> > I made my own dough, which was enough for three pizzas: Potato, Fig &
> > Prosciutto and a regular one with Italian sausage, mushrooms etc.
> >
> > I'd never made potato pizza before tonight. I sliced the potatoes thin
> > on a mandoline and followed this recipe without too much variation.
> >
> > Rosemary Potato Pizza
> > http://www.cooktj.com/trader-joes-re...y-potato-pizza
> > here is what it looked like (very thin crust with lots of bubbles)
> > http://oi43.tinypic.com/4jul51.jpg
> >

> Does this taste more like French fries, or Pierogi pizza ?

Neither. It's more like focaccia.

> I'd like to see something like this in the states.
> http://www.thekitchn.com/the-best-pi...n-italy-152864

I would put eggplant that isn't breaded on a pizza, in fact a
ratatouille pizza sounds delicious to me - but there is nothing I like
about the way that pizza looks. Not even the crust appeals to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 15:17:36 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 9/22/2013 7:40 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > I made my own dough, which was enough for three pizzas: Potato, Fig &
> > Prosciutto and a regular one with Italian sausage, mushrooms etc.
> >
> > I'd never made potato pizza before tonight. I sliced the potatoes thin
> > on a mandoline and followed this recipe without too much variation.
> >
> > Rosemary Potato Pizza
> > http://www.cooktj.com/trader-joes-re...y-potato-pizza
> > here is what it looked like (very thin crust with lots of bubbles)
> > http://oi43.tinypic.com/4jul51.jpg
> >

> I think I'll make a pizza. My wife has to eat no fat foods for a week or
> two so I guess there can't be any cheese. So far I've got a garlic and
> tomato sauce pizza I could add some tofu but that sounds horrible. As it
> goes, she can have all the angel food cake and marshmallows she desires. :-)

No fat at all? That's a toughie. You need a little fat to make the
crust and a little more on top... even if you stick to pizza bianca or
potato pizza.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" wrote:
>dsi1 wrote:
>
>> I think I'll make a pizza. My wife has to eat no fat foods for a week
>> or two so I guess there can't be any cheese.

Why no fat? Most all foods contain some fat naturally. Flour
contains fat, tomatoes contain fat, herbs/spices contain volatile
oils.

>Tomato sauce and garlic reminds me of "marinara" pizza: a classic, topped
>with just tomato sauce, coarsely minced garlic, fresh oregano and EVO oil.

Olive oil is pure fat... may as well add the cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2013 10:49 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> ... and I bet you will make sure she has plenty)

It's tough finding no fat foods. You can add boiled shrimp and candy
orange slices to the list. This restricted diet is really killing her.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2013 4:30 AM, ViLco wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
>> I think I'll make a pizza. My wife has to eat no fat foods for a week
>> or two so I guess there can't be any cheese. So far I've got a garlic
>> and tomato sauce pizza I could add some tofu but that sounds
>> horrible.

> Tomato sauce and garlic reminds me of "marinara" pizza: a classic, topped
> with just tomato sauce, coarsely minced garlic, fresh oregano and EVO oil.
> My GF usually orders it asking for an addition of anchovies

Sounds good except for the oil. Maybe I can substitute water packed tuna
for the anchovies. ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2013 7:39 AM, sf wrote:

> No fat at all? That's a toughie. You need a little fat to make the
> crust and a little more on top... even if you stick to pizza bianca or
> potato pizza.

I typically don't use any oil in my dough. I like to use a lot of oil
for the pan though. The pizza comes out fried. For no oil, I'd use corn
meal on the bottom of the pan - it comes out fine. The potato pizza
sounds like a killer but I don't think it would work just dry. I will
make it when my wife is able to handle some fat. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 9/23/2013 10:49 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> ... and I bet you will make sure she has plenty)
>>

> It's tough finding no fat foods. You can add boiled shrimp and candy
> orange slices to the list. This restricted diet is really killing her.

how long must she be on it?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 09:54:27 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 9/24/2013 7:39 AM, sf wrote:
> >
> > No fat at all? That's a toughie. You need a little fat to make the
> > crust and a little more on top... even if you stick to pizza bianca or
> > potato pizza.
> >

> I typically don't use any oil in my dough. I like to use a lot of oil
> for the pan though. The pizza comes out fried. For no oil, I'd use corn
> meal on the bottom of the pan - it comes out fine.

Don't you use a pizza stone? I've switched from cornmeal to flour for
my peel.

> The potato pizza
> sounds like a killer but I don't think it would work just dry. I will
> make it when my wife is able to handle some fat. Thanks!

YW, enjoy it when you can!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2013 11:06 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 9/23/2013 10:49 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> ... and I bet you will make sure she has plenty)
>>>

>> It's tough finding no fat foods. You can add boiled shrimp and candy
>> orange slices to the list. This restricted diet is really killing her.

> how long must she be on it?

About 10 days more. Her lymphatic system has be compromised and she
could leak fats into her body if she's not careful. It's all so goofy as
hell. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2013 11:19 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 09:54:27 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 9/24/2013 7:39 AM, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> No fat at all? That's a toughie. You need a little fat to make the
>>> crust and a little more on top... even if you stick to pizza bianca or
>>> potato pizza.
>>>

>> I typically don't use any oil in my dough. I like to use a lot of oil
>> for the pan though. The pizza comes out fried. For no oil, I'd use corn
>> meal on the bottom of the pan - it comes out fine.

> Don't you use a pizza stone? I've switched from cornmeal to flour for
> my peel.

I don't have a stone. My thick metal, dark baking sheet works pretty
good though.

>> The potato pizza
>> sounds like a killer but I don't think it would work just dry. I will
>> make it when my wife is able to handle some fat. Thanks!

> YW, enjoy it when you can!

I can't wait. OTOH, I'll have to.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 9/24/2013 11:06 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> It's tough finding no fat foods. You can add boiled shrimp and candy
>>> orange slices to the list. This restricted diet is really killing her.

>> how long must she be on it?
>>

> About 10 days more. Her lymphatic system has be compromised and she could
> leak fats into her body if she's not careful. It's all so goofy as hell.
> That's the breaks.

I am so sorry I do hope she has a complete recovery very soon.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 23, 2013 1:40:09 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> I made my own dough, which was enough for three pizzas: Potato, Fig &
>
> Prosciutto and a regular one with Italian sausage, mushrooms etc.
>

> I'd never made potato pizza before tonight. I sliced the potatoes thin
>
> on a mandoline and followed this recipe without too much variation.
>

> Rosemary Potato Pizza
>
> http://www.cooktj.com/trader-joes-re...y-potato-pizza
>
> here is what it looked like (very thin crust with lots of bubbles)
>
> http://oi43.tinypic.com/4jul51.jpg
>

> --
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Sounds like a yummy pizza...how was it with potato
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> Tomato sauce and garlic reminds me of "marinara" pizza: a classic,
>> topped with just tomato sauce, coarsely minced garlic, fresh oregano
>> and EVO oil.

> Olive oil is pure fat... may as well add the cheese.

Really, can't you even imagine to use few oil? ROTFL
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2013 11:42 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I am so sorry I do hope she has a complete recovery very soon.

Thanks!