Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Black Oil

The birds I feed planted black oil sunflower seeds, they dropped down
between the large pine bark nugget mulch where the birds couldn't
retrieve them, so they sprouted... next year I will plant lots of
black oil sunflowers:
http://i42.tinypic.com/14ipptu.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/6sfh8l.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

How nice of them to give you such a pretty gift. I love sunflowers, they are so happy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-09-13 5:58 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Friday, September 13, 2013 1:26:37 PM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> How nice of them to give you such a pretty gift. I love sunflowers, they are so happy.

I usually plant some sunflowers around the yard and leave them up as
natural birdfeeders. I am a little miffed with my better half. Back in
the spring she was whining that I had not planted any sunflowers this
year. I had, but they had not yet appeared, or, being planted behind
other things, had not yet outgrown them. The variety that I had planted
were some sort of mutant tall sunflower. Every time I look out the
bedroom window or across my backyard I see these 10 foot tall
sunflowers, but no acknowledgement from the person who complained that I
had not planted them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>How nice of them to give you such a pretty gift. I love sunflowers, they are so happy.

I usually plant mammoth sunflowers but they only give one huge flower
each. Black oil sunflowers give several flowers per plant and the
plants don't take so much space. Next year I will pick my sunflower
seeds from my bird food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> The birds I feed planted black oil sunflower seeds, they dropped down
> between the large pine bark nugget mulch where the birds couldn't
> retrieve them, so they sprouted... next year I will plant lots of
> black oil sunflowers:
> http://i42.tinypic.com/14ipptu.jpg
> http://i42.tinypic.com/6sfh8l.jpg

Very nice!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 > wrote in
:

> ImStillMags wrote:
>>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>How nice of them to give you such a pretty gift. I love sunflowers,
>>they are so happy.

> I usually plant mammoth sunflowers but they only give one huge flower
> each. Black oil sunflowers give several flowers per plant and the
> plants don't take so much space. Next year I will pick my sunflower
> seeds from my bird food.

Are your sunflowers ever bothered by cutworms? And if so, what do you do
to discourage the little buggers?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> ImStillMags wrote:
>>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>>How nice of them to give you such a pretty gift. I love sunflowers, they
>>are so happy.

> I usually plant mammoth sunflowers but they only give one huge flower
> each. Black oil sunflowers give several flowers per plant and the
> plants don't take so much space. Next year I will pick my sunflower
> seeds from my bird food.

When I was young, I saw sunflowers for the first time. My friend had grown
them to feed the ??? gerbils? or something like that and when she cut them
she put them in a vase on the table. I was fascinated by the seeds spiral
and I was tracing the spiral with my fingers. Very soon after that my eyes
and throat started to close up and I ended up as an emergency patient
Now, just enjoy by looking

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John J" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 10:47:34 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I usually plant mammoth sunflowers but they only give one huge flower
>>> each. Black oil sunflowers give several flowers per plant and the
>>> plants don't take so much space. Next year I will pick my sunflower
>>> seeds from my bird food.

>>When I was young, I saw sunflowers for the first time. My friend had
>>grown
>>them to feed the ??? gerbils? or something like that and when she cut them
>>she put them in a vase on the table. I was fascinated by the seeds
>>spiral
>>and I was tracing the spiral with my fingers. Very soon after that my
>>eyes
>>and throat started to close up and I ended up as an emergency patient
>>Now, just enjoy by looking

> Did you ever eat the seeds before that experience?

I doubt it and oddly enough, dried seeds don't affect me. I assumed it must
have been something to do with the pollen or the seeds being fresh.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 10:47:34 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>
> When I was young, I saw sunflowers for the first time. My friend had grown
> them to feed the ??? gerbils? or something like that and when she cut them
> she put them in a vase on the table. I was fascinated by the seeds spiral
> and I was tracing the spiral with my fingers. Very soon after that my eyes
> and throat started to close up and I ended up as an emergency patient
> Now, just enjoy by looking
>
> --

You have a sunflower allergy? So sorry! I thought I'd heard
everything when I found out people can be allergic to onions &
garlic... but NOW I've heard it all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 10:47:34 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>
>> When I was young, I saw sunflowers for the first time. My friend had
>> grown
>> them to feed the ??? gerbils? or something like that and when she cut
>> them
>> she put them in a vase on the table. I was fascinated by the seeds
>> spiral
>> and I was tracing the spiral with my fingers. Very soon after that my
>> eyes
>> and throat started to close up and I ended up as an emergency patient
>> Now, just enjoy by looking
>>
>> --

> You have a sunflower allergy? So sorry! I thought I'd heard
> everything when I found out people can be allergic to onions &
> garlic... but NOW I've heard it all.

But the dried seeds don't affect me at all! I don't know if I am still
allergic, but I am not going near any to find out

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> But the dried seeds don't affect me at all! I don't know if I am still
> allergic, but I am not going near any to find out

Good plan, once burned and all that.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>
>> But the dried seeds don't affect me at all! I don't know if I am still
>> allergic, but I am not going near any to find out

> Good plan, once burned and all that.

Oh yes!! A long time ago but I remember how frightening it was! I am
content to admire from a distance

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Brooklyn1 > wrote:

> http://i42.tinypic.com/6sfh8l.jpg

One of our neighbors has intentionally planted sunflowers. With the
number of freeloaders scarfing our sunflower seeds, we should have a
veritable sunflower forest below our decks next summer.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>
>>> But the dried seeds don't affect me at all! I don't know if I am still
>>> allergic, but I am not going near any to find out

>> Good plan, once burned and all that.

> Oh yes!! A long time ago but I remember how frightening it was! I am
> content to admire from a distance

Yep, me too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/14/2013 2:16 PM, Cindy Fuller wrote:
> In article >,
> Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>> http://i42.tinypic.com/6sfh8l.jpg

> One of our neighbors has intentionally planted sunflowers. With the
> number of freeloaders scarfing our sunflower seeds, we should have a
> veritable sunflower forest below our decks next summer.
>
> Cindy

Birds are good about scattering seeds. I have creeping phlox growing
on either side of my patio. It makes a nice border. But they do have a
tendency to take over.

Out beyond my property line, in the middle of dry, dusty sand, a bird
dropped a seed. And here is the hardy creeping phlox:

http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/ji...94167.jpg.html

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 18:05:34 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2013-09-13 5:58 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>> On Friday, September 13, 2013 1:26:37 PM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> How nice of them to give you such a pretty gift. I love sunflowers, they are so happy.
>>

>I usually plant some sunflowers around the yard and leave them up as
>natural birdfeeders. I am a little miffed with my better half. Back in
>the spring she was whining that I had not planted any sunflowers this
>year. I had, but they had not yet appeared, or, being planted behind
>other things, had not yet outgrown them. The variety that I had planted
>were some sort of mutant tall sunflower. Every time I look out the
>bedroom window or across my backyard I see these 10 foot tall
>sunflowers, but no acknowledgement from the person who complained that I
>had not planted them.

I grow the giant sunflowers because the grandkids like them. I give
them a few weeks head start and then grow scarlet runner beans up
their stems.

JB
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Good plan, once burned and all that.

>> Oh yes!! A long time ago but I remember how frightening it was! I am
>> content to admire from a distance

> Yep, me too.

Do they affect you too?
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/14/2013 2:16 PM, Cindy Fuller wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>>
>>> http://i42.tinypic.com/6sfh8l.jpg

>> One of our neighbors has intentionally planted sunflowers. With the
>> number of freeloaders scarfing our sunflower seeds, we should have a
>> veritable sunflower forest below our decks next summer.
>>
>> Cindy
>>

> Birds are good about scattering seeds. I have creeping phlox growing
> on either side of my patio. It makes a nice border. But they do have a
> tendency to take over.
>
> Out beyond my property line, in the middle of dry, dusty sand, a bird
> dropped a seed. And here is the hardy creeping phlox:
>
> http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/ji...94167.jpg.html

Pretty If they creep they will give good ground cover.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" wrote:
> > Out beyond my property line, in the middle of dry, dusty sand, a bird
> > dropped a seed. And here is the hardy creeping phlox:
> >
> > http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/ji...94167.jpg.html

> Pretty If they creep they will give good ground cover.

Sadly, my old software didn't allow me to see that picture.

Speaking of ground cover though, radishes make good ground cover for a
small garden and especially potted plants. They grow shallow and don't
interfere with the main plant's deeper root system. The leaf cover
helps prevent the soil from drying out, plus you get to eat fresh
radishes. Just throw the seeds all over the soil like you would do
with grass seed.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" wrote:
>> > Out beyond my property line, in the middle of dry, dusty sand, a bird
>> > dropped a seed. And here is the hardy creeping phlox:
>> >
>> > http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/ji...94167.jpg.html

>> Pretty If they creep they will give good ground cover.

> Sadly, my old software didn't allow me to see that picture.
>
> Speaking of ground cover though, radishes make good ground cover for a
> small garden and especially potted plants. They grow shallow and don't
> interfere with the main plant's deeper root system. The leaf cover
> helps prevent the soil from drying out, plus you get to eat fresh
> radishes. Just throw the seeds all over the soil like you would do
> with grass seed.

Sadly we don't like radish but if you can think of anything else?
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> > Speaking of ground cover though, radishes make good ground cover for a
> > small garden and especially potted plants. They grow shallow and don't
> > interfere with the main plant's deeper root system. The leaf cover
> > helps prevent the soil from drying out, plus you get to eat fresh
> > radishes. Just throw the seeds all over the soil like you would do
> > with grass seed.

> Sadly we don't like radish but if you can think of anything else?

I don't care much for radish either but I will say that the homegrown
in cool weather keeps them mild tasting and better than you can buy at
a store. Even if you don't eat them they still make a cheap and easy
ground cover to protect the other plants from drying out so quickly.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" wrote:
>> > Speaking of ground cover though, radishes make good ground cover for a
>> > small garden and especially potted plants. They grow shallow and don't
>> > interfere with the main plant's deeper root system. The leaf cover
>> > helps prevent the soil from drying out, plus you get to eat fresh
>> > radishes. Just throw the seeds all over the soil like you would do
>> > with grass seed.

>> Sadly we don't like radish but if you can think of anything else?

> I don't care much for radish either but I will say that the homegrown
> in cool weather keeps them mild tasting and better than you can buy at
> a store. Even if you don't eat them they still make a cheap and easy
> ground cover to protect the other plants from drying out so quickly.

Ok, thanks
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Oh yes!! A long time ago but I remember how frightening it was! I am
>>> content to admire from a distance

>> Yep, me too.

> Do they affect you too?

No, but there are things that didn't work well for me, so I never made the
mistake of repeating them. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Yep, me too.

>> Do they affect you too?

> No, but there are things that didn't work well for me, so I never made the
> mistake of repeating them. :-)

Ahh You understand)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote:

> If you like radishes that are tame, you might want to try roasting them.
> I don't like raw radishes; but, love them roasted and I cook the greens
> too.

I'll try that next spring when I start another batch. I've always use
the greens raw in salads. Thanks for the thought of roasting them.
That *would* tame them down a bit. And as I said...they are much
better in the early spring with the cooler nights and days. Radishes
grown in high heat of mid-summer are not so good. Still good for
ground cover though.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-09-15 12:29 PM, Gary wrote:

> I'll try that next spring when I start another batch. I've always use
> the greens raw in salads. Thanks for the thought of roasting them.
> That *would* tame them down a bit. And as I said...they are much
> better in the early spring with the cooler nights and days. Radishes
> grown in high heat of mid-summer are not so good. Still good for
> ground cover though.

\

I like slices of radish in salad but I most often just eat raw radishes
on their own. I like that nippy taste. Something I picked up from German
friends is that radishes go nicely with beer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote:
>"Cheri" wrote:

>>> Oh yes!! A long time ago but I remember how frightening it was! I am
>>> content to admire from a distance

>> Yep, me too.

>Do they affect you too?

Sunflower seeds put lead in my pencil...
http://www.giantseeds.com/
for gals it's pumpkin seeds.
http://www.giantseeds.com/pumpkinseeds.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote:
> "jmcquown" wrote"
>> Cindy Fuller wrote:

>>> One of our neighbors has intentionally planted sunflowers. With the
>>> number of freeloaders scarfing our sunflower seeds, we should have a
>>> veritable sunflower forest below our decks next summer.
>>>
>>> Cindy
>>>

>> Birds are good about scattering seeds. I have creeping phlox growing
>> on either side of my patio. It makes a nice border. But they do have a
>> tendency to take over.
>>
>> Out beyond my property line, in the middle of dry, dusty sand, a bird
>> dropped a seed. And here is the hardy creeping phlox:
>>
>> http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/ji...94167.jpg.html

>Pretty If they creep they will give good ground cover.

I have phlox growing outside my bedroom window, smells wonderful,
almost as good as bagels and phlox!
http://i43.tinypic.com/157yq0k.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 07:04:27 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" wrote:
>> > Out beyond my property line, in the middle of dry, dusty sand, a bird
>> > dropped a seed. And here is the hardy creeping phlox:
>> >
>> > http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/ji...94167.jpg.html

>> Pretty If they creep they will give good ground cover.

>Sadly, my old software didn't allow me to see that picture.

For me I need to copy and paste photobucket links into my browser..
just double clicking on that link doesn't work. Tinylink.com works
better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 12:29:08 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>l not -l wrote:
>>
>> If you like radishes that are tame, you might want to try roasting them.
>> I don't like raw radishes; but, love them roasted and I cook the greens
>> too.

>I'll try that next spring when I start another batch. I've always use
>the greens raw in salads. Thanks for the thought of roasting them.
>That *would* tame them down a bit. And as I said...they are much
>better in the early spring with the cooler nights and days. Radishes
>grown in high heat of mid-summer are not so good. Still good for
>ground cover though.

If you have an oriental market nearby buy some diakon for that recipe.
http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematte...-daikon-radish

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 12:42:38 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2013-09-15 12:29 PM, Gary wrote:
>
>> I'll try that next spring when I start another batch. I've always use
>> the greens raw in salads. Thanks for the thought of roasting them.
>> That *would* tame them down a bit. And as I said...they are much
>> better in the early spring with the cooler nights and days. Radishes
>> grown in high heat of mid-summer are not so good. Still good for
>> ground cover though.

>\
>
>I like slices of radish in salad but I most often just eat raw radishes
>on their own. I like that nippy taste. Something I picked up from German
>friends is that radishes go nicely with beer.

Yup, sliced radish on black bread schmeared with chicken schmaltz.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 14:22:45 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>snip
>
>For me I need to copy and paste photobucket links into my browser..
>just double clicking on that link doesn't work. Tinylink.com works
>better.

How about right click?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" wrote:

>>> Yep, me too.

>>Do they affect you too?

> Sunflower seeds put lead in my pencil...
> http://www.giantseeds.com/
> for gals it's pumpkin seeds.
> http://www.giantseeds.com/pumpkinseeds.html

We'll be ok then, I put both pumpkin and sunflower seeds in my bread <g>

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" wrote:

>>> Birds are good about scattering seeds. I have creeping phlox growing
>>> on either side of my patio. It makes a nice border. But they do have a
>>> tendency to take over.
>>>
>>> Out beyond my property line, in the middle of dry, dusty sand, a bird
>>> dropped a seed. And here is the hardy creeping phlox:
>>>
>>> http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/ji...94167.jpg.html

>>Pretty If they creep they will give good ground cover.

> I have phlox growing outside my bedroom window, smells wonderful,
> almost as good as bagels and phlox!
> http://i43.tinypic.com/157yq0k.jpg

Nice
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 14:22:45 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 07:04:27 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>>> Pretty If they creep they will give good ground cover.

>>Sadly, my old software didn't allow me to see that picture.

>For me I need to copy and paste photobucket links into my browser..
>just double clicking on that link doesn't work. Tinylink.com works
>better.

Nice picture, however it does not look like phlox to me. It is a
vinca.

Can be invasive and displace native species.

JB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 21:18:25 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 14:22:45 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>>snip
>>
>>For me I need to copy and paste photobucket links into my browser..
>>just double clicking on that link doesn't work. Tinylink.com works
>>better.

>How about right click?
>Janet US

Still won't work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 15:57:28 +0800, JBurns >
wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 14:22:45 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>>>Sadly, my old software didn't allow me to see that picture.

>>For me I need to copy and paste photobucket links into my browser..
>>just double clicking on that link doesn't work. Tinylink.com works
>>better.

>Nice picture, however it does not look like phlox to me. It is a
>vinca. Can be invasive and displace native species.

Were you so sure you'd not have deleted my photo link and left Jill's.

Vinca is common periwinkle, a very different plant.
http://www.ngb.org/year_of/index.cfm?YOID=7
My phlox looks exactly like those in this picture, click on the
picture to enlarge, check the leaves too:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlox
Mine is fenced, if not it would be deer fodder... it could never be
invasive where I live... I tried planting it unfenced LOL-LOL.
Mine with more detail... this proves it's phlox and not vinca:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2liiik7.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 08:28:40 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Do they affect you too?

>> Sunflower seeds put lead in my pencil...
>> http://www.giantseeds.com/
>> for gals it's pumpkin seeds.
>> http://www.giantseeds.com/pumpkinseeds.html

>We'll be ok then, I put both pumpkin and sunflower seeds in my bread <g>

Hmm, we gotta do lunch!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 08:28:40 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Sunflower seeds put lead in my pencil...
>>> http://www.giantseeds.com/
>>> for gals it's pumpkin seeds.
>>> http://www.giantseeds.com/pumpkinseeds.html

>>We'll be ok then, I put both pumpkin and sunflower seeds in my bread <g>

> Hmm, we gotta do lunch!

lol I could just share my recipe <g>

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 17:43:35 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 08:28:40 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>>We'll be ok then, I put both pumpkin and sunflower seeds in my bread <g>

>> Hmm, we gotta do lunch!

>lol I could just share my recipe <g>

I thought we'd make a sandwich. <g>