Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cauliflower

Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to make
it taste of err something.

Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!

What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:09:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>>make
>>it taste of err something.
>>
>>Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>>oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>
>>What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?
>>

>>--

> They never drop too much in price here, so I relish them as they are,
> same with asparagus.

Ok

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:09:43 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to make
>
> it taste of err something.
>

> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>
> oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>

> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

My two favorite ways are a cauliflower mash and cauliflower rice.

For the mashed cauliflower I cook the cauliflower, chopped, in boiling salted water till it is quite tender. I usually put ONE good sized russet potato in with the cauliflower to cook.
Drain and mash with butter, sour cream, salt, pepper and some chopped parsley.

For cauliflower 'rice', grate the cauliflower with a box grater or the grating insert for your
food processor. Cook it in a large skillet with a little butter, salt and pepper till it is barely tender, don't overcook it. Makes a great 'rice' to serve with any dish you normally would serve with rice.

I eat low carb so cauliflower is on my menu regularly.

I also love it roasted as in this recipe. This is a favorite way to roast it.

http://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/r...ed-cauliflower

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-09-12 9:56 AM, Susan wrote:

> It's not bland roasted at high heat til it carmelizes. I add evoo, s
> and fgbp, and like to roast it with whole shallots at 425f.
>
> I also like it cooked til soft (microwave) then pureed with butter, s
> and fgbp.
>
> It's great baked with some butter, minced garlic, s and fgbp a splash of
> heavy cream and a ton of shredded gruyere.

I don't think it is bland, especially if steamed until just cooked. I
would call it mild tasting but I like the taste. I have not tried
roasting it but I have marinated in yogurt and curry powder and grilled
it. That was very tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, September 12, 2013 6:09:43 AM UTC-7, Ophelia wrote:
>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>> make
>>
>> it taste of err something.
>>

>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>>
>> oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>

>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

> My two favorite ways are a cauliflower mash and cauliflower rice.
>
> For the mashed cauliflower I cook the cauliflower, chopped, in boiling
> salted water till it is quite tender. I usually put ONE good sized russet
> potato in with the cauliflower to cook.
> Drain and mash with butter, sour cream, salt, pepper and some chopped
> parsley.
>
> For cauliflower 'rice', grate the cauliflower with a box grater or the
> grating insert for your
> food processor. Cook it in a large skillet with a little butter, salt
> and pepper till it is barely tender, don't overcook it. Makes a great
> 'rice' to serve with any dish you normally would serve with rice.
>
> I eat low carb so cauliflower is on my menu regularly.
>
> I also love it roasted as in this recipe. This is a favorite way to
> roast it.
>
> http://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/r...ed-cauliflower

Thanks very much, Mags! All saved)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to make
> it taste of err something.
>
> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
> oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>
> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

It's not at all bland, it has a somewhat cabbage flavor. Certainly it
can be enhanced with various additions, or as someone noted roasting
which always adds flavor.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/12/2013 9:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
> make it taste of err something.
>
> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
> in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>
> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

I eat raw cauliflower in salads and also like the traditional cheese
sauce on boiled cauliflower. There are several Indian recipes that I
make quite often but here is a favorite.

Indian Cauliflower With Egg
I recently bought a very large cauliflower because it was good and
cheap and I was then faced with cooking it. This recipe is very good and
is reminiscent of a family one we used to have moderately frequently.
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
2 crushed garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (jalapenos work too)
Salt to taste 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander 2 eggs (I used one container
of Better 'n Eggs)
1 1/2 cups cooked cauliflower (a bit meager: I used half a large one)

The original recipe calls for frying the onion in vegetable shortening,
I microwaved for 4 minutes, then cooked on low with the garlic in an
olive-oil-squirted, non-stick frying pan until the onion showed
browning. Add turmeric, ginger, peppers, coriander and cauliflower. Mix
and cook on medium for 4 minutes. Add eggs, stir well and cook 'til done
(about 4 minutes more).

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message
> On 12-Sep-2013, "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something
>> to make
>> it taste of err something.
>>
>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
>> in
>> oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>
>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

> Roasting it adds great flavor. The recipe follows:
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Whole Roasted Cauliflower with Olive Oil and Capers
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories :

> 1 head cauliflower -- (2-pound) green leaves discarded
> 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice -- or to taste
> 1 tablespoon drained small capers (packed in brine)
> 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
> 2 cups loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley sprigs
>
> Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly oil
> a 9-inch pie plate or square baking dish.
>
> Core cauliflower, leaving head intact, then discard core and put
> cauliflower head in pan. Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil over top of
> cauliflower and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bake until tender, 1 to
> 1 1/4 hours. Transfer to a serving dish.
>
> Whisk together lemon juice, capers, pepper, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon
> salt in a small bowl, then whisk in remaining 1/4 cup oil.
>
> Surround cauliflower with parsley sprigs and drizzle cauliflower and
> parsley with dressing.

> "Roasting a whole head of cauliflower at high heat creates beautifully
> caramelized florets. It's perfectly offset by fresh parsley and a
> drizzle of a quick lemon dressing."
> Source:
> "Gourmet | November 2006"
> S(Internet Address):
>
> "http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Whole-Roasted-Cauliflower-with-Olive-Oil-and-Capers-236377"

Thanks 'I' that sounds really good ) Saved
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message

> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>> make
>> it taste of err something.
>>
>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>> oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>
>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?
>>
>> --
>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

> It's not at all bland, it has a somewhat cabbage flavor. Certainly it
> can be enhanced with various additions, or as someone noted roasting
> which always adds flavor.

Yes

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 9/12/2013 9:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>> make it taste of err something.
>>
>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
>> in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>
>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?
>>

> I eat raw cauliflower in salads and also like the traditional cheese sauce
> on boiled cauliflower. There are several Indian recipes that I make quite
> often but here is a favorite.
>
> Indian Cauliflower With Egg
> I recently bought a very large cauliflower because it was good and cheap
> and I was then faced with cooking it. This recipe is very good and is
> reminiscent of a family one we used to have moderately frequently.
> 1 large onion, thinly sliced
> 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
> 2 crushed garlic cloves
> 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
> 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (jalapenos work too)
> Salt to taste 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander 2 eggs (I used one container
> of Better 'n Eggs)
> 1 1/2 cups cooked cauliflower (a bit meager: I used half a large one)
>
> The original recipe calls for frying the onion in vegetable shortening, I
> microwaved for 4 minutes, then cooked on low with the garlic in an
> olive-oil-squirted, non-stick frying pan until the onion showed browning.
> Add turmeric, ginger, peppers, coriander and cauliflower. Mix and cook on
> medium for 4 minutes. Add eggs, stir well and cook 'til done (about 4
> minutes more).

Thanks for posting, James. We don't eat spicy foods but I am sure someone
will enjoy
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/12/2013 11:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>> On 9/12/2013 9:09 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>>> make it taste of err something.
>>>
>>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
>>> in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>>
>>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?
>>>

>> I eat raw cauliflower in salads and also like the traditional cheese
>> sauce on boiled cauliflower. There are several Indian recipes that I
>> make quite often but here is a favorite.
>>
>> Indian Cauliflower With Egg
>> I recently bought a very large cauliflower because it was good and
>> cheap and I was then faced with cooking it. This recipe is very good
>> and is reminiscent of a family one we used to have moderately frequently.
>> 1 large onion, thinly sliced
>> 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
>> 2 crushed garlic cloves
>> 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
>> 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (jalapenos work too)
>> Salt to taste 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander 2 eggs (I used one
>> container of Better 'n Eggs)
>> 1 1/2 cups cooked cauliflower (a bit meager: I used half a large one)
>>
>> The original recipe calls for frying the onion in vegetable
>> shortening, I microwaved for 4 minutes, then cooked on low with the
>> garlic in an olive-oil-squirted, non-stick frying pan until the onion
>> showed browning. Add turmeric, ginger, peppers, coriander and
>> cauliflower. Mix and cook on medium for 4 minutes. Add eggs, stir well
>> and cook 'til done (about 4 minutes more).

> Thanks for posting, James. We don't eat spicy foods but I am sure
> someone will enjoy

Oh, how much are you missing! Condolences :-)

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 9/12/2013 11:16 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I eat raw cauliflower in salads and also like the traditional cheese
>>> sauce on boiled cauliflower. There are several Indian recipes that I
>>> make quite often but here is a favorite.
>>>
>>> Indian Cauliflower With Egg
>>> I recently bought a very large cauliflower because it was good and
>>> cheap and I was then faced with cooking it. This recipe is very good
>>> and is reminiscent of a family one we used to have moderately
>>> frequently.
>>> 1 large onion, thinly sliced
>>> 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
>>> 2 crushed garlic cloves
>>> 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
>>> 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (jalapenos work too)
>>> Salt to taste 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander 2 eggs (I used one
>>> container of Better 'n Eggs)
>>> 1 1/2 cups cooked cauliflower (a bit meager: I used half a large one)
>>>
>>> The original recipe calls for frying the onion in vegetable
>>> shortening, I microwaved for 4 minutes, then cooked on low with the
>>> garlic in an olive-oil-squirted, non-stick frying pan until the onion
>>> showed browning. Add turmeric, ginger, peppers, coriander and
>>> cauliflower. Mix and cook on medium for 4 minutes. Add eggs, stir well
>>> and cook 'til done (about 4 minutes more).

>> Thanks for posting, James. We don't eat spicy foods but I am sure
>> someone will enjoy

> Oh, how much are you missing! Condolences :-)

<g> Each to his/her own eh?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:09:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to make
>it taste of err something.
>
>Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>
>What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

I steam it, along with 3-4 cloves of garlic. Then I mash it with a
potato masher and add a packet of chicken bouillon powder, a
good-sized dollop of cream cheese, and some caramelized chopped onion.

I don't care for the texture if it's pureed - that's why I mash it.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> Recipe for "fauxtato salad." please?

It's exactly the same as you make your potato salad but you sub cauliflower
for the potatoes. I use one large head broken into small florets, then
cooked until tender (but don't overcook to mush) Drain and cool, and at that
point proceed with whatever you use when making your potato salad. I use
lots of hard boiled eggs in mine, mustard, mayo, pickles, etc. It's really
good, and my whole family likes it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>
>> Recipe for "fauxtato salad." please?

> It's exactly the same as you make your potato salad but you sub
> cauliflower for the potatoes. I use one large head broken into small
> florets, then cooked until tender (but don't overcook to mush) Drain and
> cool, and at that point proceed with whatever you use when making your
> potato salad. I use lots of hard boiled eggs in mine, mustard, mayo,
> pickles, etc. It's really good, and my whole family likes it.

Thanks! I'll try that this weekend
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Recipe for "fauxtato salad." please?

>> It's exactly the same as you make your potato salad but you sub
>> cauliflower for the potatoes. I use one large head broken into small
>> florets, then cooked until tender (but don't overcook to mush) Drain and
>> cool, and at that point proceed with whatever you use when making your
>> potato salad. I use lots of hard boiled eggs in mine, mustard, mayo,
>> pickles, etc. It's really good, and my whole family likes it.

> Thanks! I'll try that this weekend

It's really a great use for cauliflower and a good sub for potato salad. I
bet you really like it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:09:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>>make
>>it taste of err something.
>>
>>Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>>oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>
>>What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

> I steam it, along with 3-4 cloves of garlic. Then I mash it with a
> potato masher and add a packet of chicken bouillon powder, a
> good-sized dollop of cream cheese, and some caramelized chopped onion.
>
> I don't care for the texture if it's pureed - that's why I mash it.

Thanks! Saved and I will try that! Sounds much better than pureed.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> It's exactly the same as you make your potato salad but you sub
>>> cauliflower for the potatoes. I use one large head broken into small
>>> florets, then cooked until tender (but don't overcook to mush) Drain and
>>> cool, and at that point proceed with whatever you use when making your
>>> potato salad. I use lots of hard boiled eggs in mine, mustard, mayo,
>>> pickles, etc. It's really good, and my whole family likes it.

>> Thanks! I'll try that this weekend

> It's really a great use for cauliflower and a good sub for potato salad. I
> bet you really like it.

The next hot day we have and I make salad, I will report back

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:09:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to make
> it taste of err something.
>
> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
> oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>
> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

Of course, roasting cauliflower is up there at the top of the list.

I like it even more now that I've discovered it's the "veal" of
vegetables. IOW it takes on the flavor of what you put on it or put
it in. I make cauliflower rice, cauliflower couscous and put it into
recipes when I want a vegetable, but not necessarily on the side. I
made Butter Chicken the easy way (with a simmer sauce), wanted
vegetables so I cut up a cauliflower and added it to the chicken and
sauce. Delicious.

Here are some recipes I like. Most are not used as written because I
have the ability to change them to suit myself.

I leave out the cumin and cayenne, but maybe I won't next time
Spicy Roasted Cauliflower
http://www.eatliverun.com/spicy-roasted-cauliflower/

Delicious side dish: Cannellini Beans & Roasted Cauliflower in
Lemon-Tahini Sauce
http://www.nourished.ca/cannellini-b...-tahini-sauce/

I pretty much leave this alone, but I don't measure. Don't forget the
lime, or at least use lemon because it really brightens the dish
http://www.realsimple.com/food-recip...759/index.html
You, of course, would eliminate the heat (chili) or try this one
instead
http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/chic...r-and-parsley/

If you like frittata, try this
Sautéed Cauliflower Frittata with Thyme
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/s...ata-with-thyme

I just found this recipe a few minutes ago when I checked in on
Pinterest, so it's untried as of now - but I will give it a go soon
and see how I like it. My initial changes will be the usual "givens":
use boneless, skinless thigh and not to fry.
http://www.piarecipes.com/2013/01/pa...flower-in.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:09:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>> make
>> it taste of err something.
>>
>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>> oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>
>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?
>>

> Of course, roasting cauliflower is up there at the top of the list.
>
> I like it even more now that I've discovered it's the "veal" of
> vegetables. IOW it takes on the flavor of what you put on it or put
> it in. I make cauliflower rice, cauliflower couscous and put it into
> recipes when I want a vegetable, but not necessarily on the side. I
> made Butter Chicken the easy way (with a simmer sauce), wanted
> vegetables so I cut up a cauliflower and added it to the chicken and
> sauce. Delicious.
>
> Here are some recipes I like. Most are not used as written because I
> have the ability to change them to suit myself.
>
> I leave out the cumin and cayenne, but maybe I won't next time
> Spicy Roasted Cauliflower
> http://www.eatliverun.com/spicy-roasted-cauliflower/
>
> Delicious side dish: Cannellini Beans & Roasted Cauliflower in
> Lemon-Tahini Sauce
> http://www.nourished.ca/cannellini-b...-tahini-sauce/
>
> I pretty much leave this alone, but I don't measure. Don't forget the
> lime, or at least use lemon because it really brightens the dish
> http://www.realsimple.com/food-recip...759/index.html
> You, of course, would eliminate the heat (chili) or try this one
> instead
> http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/chic...r-and-parsley/
>
> If you like frittata, try this
> Sautéed Cauliflower Frittata with Thyme
> http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/s...ata-with-thyme
>
> I just found this recipe a few minutes ago when I checked in on
> Pinterest, so it's untried as of now - but I will give it a go soon
> and see how I like it. My initial changes will be the usual "givens":
> use boneless, skinless thigh and not to fry.
> http://www.piarecipes.com/2013/01/pa...flower-in.html

Thanks very much sf! All saved
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in
:

> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something
> to make it taste of err something.
>
> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
> in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>
> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

I make a cauliflower, pasta, cheese, etc. casserole I like. I posted the
recipe here a while back. Should I post it again?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/12/2013 1:31 PM, KenK wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something
>> to make it taste of err something.
>>
>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
>> in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>
>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?
>>

> I make a cauliflower, pasta, cheese, etc. casserole I like. I posted the
> recipe here a while back. Should I post it again?

Cauliflower can be used a stir-fry vegetable. I prefer it blanched foe
2-3 minutes before using it.

Incidentally, a search for cauliflower stir fry produced over 4 million
hits and gobi recipes (Indian for cauliflower) produced 1,550,000
results. There are an amazing number of cauliflower recipes in general;
over 17 million so Ophelia should have a good choice.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something
>> to make it taste of err something.
>>
>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
>> in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>
>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?
>>

> I make a cauliflower, pasta, cheese, etc. casserole I like. I posted the
> recipe here a while back. Should I post it again?

If you would be so kind? Yes, please
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 9/12/2013 1:31 PM, KenK wrote:
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something
>>> to make it taste of err something.
>>>
>>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms
>>> in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>>
>>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?
>>>

>> I make a cauliflower, pasta, cheese, etc. casserole I like. I posted the
>> recipe here a while back. Should I post it again?
>>

> Cauliflower can be used a stir-fry vegetable. I prefer it blanched foe 2-3
> minutes before using it.
>
> Incidentally, a search for cauliflower stir fry produced over 4 million
> hits and gobi recipes (Indian for cauliflower) produced 1,550,000
> results. There are an amazing number of cauliflower recipes in general;
> over 17 million so Ophelia should have a good choice.

Yes thanks, I am sure I will, but as I said, I prefer personal tried and
tested before I look elsewhere
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in
:

> "KenK" > wrote in message
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something
>>> to make it taste of err something.
>>>
>>> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried
>>> toms in oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>>
>>> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?
>>>

>> I make a cauliflower, pasta, cheese, etc. casserole I like. I posted
>> the recipe here a while back. Should I post it again?

> If you would be so kind? Yes, please

OK. Will do so tomorrow. About to shut down now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:09:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to make
>it taste of err something.
>
>Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>
>What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

One favorite way is crudites for dipping... another is pickled.
I often simply slice it into flowerettes and add them to a tossed
salad... any dressing works. I think cooking cauliflower ruins its
texture, most folks make mush... I do cook the leaves and stems,
they're good in soups, even in ramen.
There are many marinated cauliflowr recipes:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...a-Salad-108796
http://kosherfood.about.com/od/koshe...auliflower.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KenK" > wrote in message
> "Ophelia" > wrote in
> :
>

>> "KenK" > wrote in message
>>> "Ophelia" > wrote in
>>> :

>>> I make a cauliflower, pasta, cheese, etc. casserole I like. I posted
>>> the recipe here a while back. Should I post it again?

>> If you would be so kind? Yes, please

> OK. Will do so tomorrow. About to shut down now.

Ok thanks)
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:09:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>>make
>>it taste of err something.
>>
>>Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>>oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>
>>What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

> One favorite way is crudites for dipping... another is pickled.
> I often simply slice it into flowerettes and add them to a tossed
> salad... any dressing works. I think cooking cauliflower ruins its
> texture, most folks make mush... I do cook the leaves and stems,
> they're good in soups, even in ramen.
> There are many marinated cauliflowr recipes:
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...a-Salad-108796
> http://kosherfood.about.com/od/koshe...auliflower.htm

Thanks) Saved. I agree about it turning to mush if you are not careful.
I hate it like that.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 17:08:48 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
> >
> > I don't care for the texture if it's pureed - that's why I mash it.

> Thanks! Saved and I will try that! Sounds much better than pureed.

That's how I mash up mine too. I did puree it once to make faux
mashed potatoes and totally liked it, but this way is so much easer
(not that it isn't easy to puree, but it's less to wash afterwards).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:09:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to make
>it taste of err something.
>
>Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>
>What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

Cauliflower soup: way better than it sounds!
http://www.rockpool.com/side-dishes/...with-parmesan/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:09:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>>make
>>it taste of err something.
>>
>>Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>>oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>
>>What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

> Cauliflower soup: way better than it sounds!
> http://www.rockpool.com/side-dishes/...with-parmesan/

Actually, it sounds very good! Thanks)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to make
> it taste of err something.
>
> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
> oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>
> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

Can't remember the last time I bought it. When raw in a salad, it was
the first thing I ate just to get it over with. Your fix sounds
interesting and I'm sure it's tasty. For me though...if I don't like
something plain, I won't buy it to enhance unless I think it's
something very healthy that I should be eating.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 20:36:10 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:09:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>>>make
>>>it taste of err something.
>>>
>>>Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>>>oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>>
>>>What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

>> Cauliflower soup: way better than it sounds!
>> http://www.rockpool.com/side-dishes/...with-parmesan/

>Actually, it sounds very good! Thanks)

It is indeed good (cauliflower soup)... no blandness whatsoever.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 20:36:10 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:09:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
>>>make
>>>it taste of err something.
>>>
>>>Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
>>>oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>>>
>>>What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

>> Cauliflower soup: way better than it sounds!
>> http://www.rockpool.com/side-dishes/...with-parmesan/

>Actually, it sounds very good! Thanks)

Forgot to mention cauliflower bake, I make this about once a fortnight
when I'm not in the mood for meat. This recipe covers the basics:
http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/1294...eese-bake.aspx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...

> Can't remember the last time I bought it. When raw in a salad, it was
> the first thing I ate just to get it over with. Your fix sounds
> interesting and I'm sure it's tasty. For me though...if I don't like
> something plain, I won't buy it to enhance unless I think it's
> something very healthy that I should be eating.

LOL I know what you mean but I love to experiment I like to serve fresh
veggies regularly and I don't want to ignore any because are not too
exciting ... they still have good vitamins and fibre. As I said, I find
Cauli bland and you saw one of the things I like to do with hit to jazz it
up a bit and I thought I would pick the brains of others in the cooking
group iyswim <g>

I've had some jolly good ideas which I have saved and will try out)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 20:36:10 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:09:43 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> Cauliflower soup: way better than it sounds!
>>> http://www.rockpool.com/side-dishes/...with-parmesan/

>>Actually, it sounds very good! Thanks)

> It is indeed good (cauliflower soup)... no blandness whatsoever.

Yep It's on my list) Thanks again

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 20:36:10 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 14:09:43 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> Cauliflower soup: way better than it sounds!
>>> http://www.rockpool.com/side-dishes/...with-parmesan/

>>Actually, it sounds very good! Thanks)

> Forgot to mention cauliflower bake, I make this about once a fortnight
> when I'm not in the mood for meat. This recipe covers the basics:
> http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/1294...eese-bake.aspx

Yes I like that too but I like the idea of the beans added! Thanks)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 21:28:11 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 20:36:10 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>>>Actually, it sounds very good! Thanks)

>> Forgot to mention cauliflower bake, I make this about once a fortnight
>> when I'm not in the mood for meat. This recipe covers the basics:
>> http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/1294...eese-bake.aspx

>Yes I like that too but I like the idea of the beans added! Thanks)

Never done it with beans myself (yet) but no reason why not.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 21:28:11 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Jeßus" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 20:36:10 +0100, "Ophelia"

m...

>>> Forgot to mention cauliflower bake, I make this about once a fortnight
>>> when I'm not in the mood for meat. This recipe covers the basics:
>>> http://allrecipes.com.au/recipe/1294...eese-bake.aspx

>>Yes I like that too but I like the idea of the beans added! Thanks)

> Never done it with beans myself (yet) but no reason why not.

If you get to it before me, please report? I don't know if it makes a
difference, but I have canned beans and I would use those.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> Does anyone else think it bland? I usually dress it with something to
> make it taste of err something.
>
> Yesterday I fried onions and sliced garlic, added preserved dried toms in
> oil and balsamic vinegar! It proved a hit!
>
> What favourite ways of preparing cauli do you have, if anything?

I don't really like the stuff. Can eat it raw. And can eat a very small
amount in a soup. Other than that, I don't make it.

Cauliflower sf[_9_] General Cooking 9 18-09-2013 02:52 AM
Cauliflower Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 0 16-09-2013 11:37 PM
Cauliflower Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 0 15-09-2013 11:10 PM
Cauliflower Ophelia[_9_] General Cooking 0 14-09-2013 06:26 PM
How do you say cauliflower Denise~* General Cooking 77 09-08-2004 04:10 PM