Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default If you had these ingredients

4 peppers, bell - assorted colors
2 pounds steak, chuck, boneless
mushrooms, button
sweet onion, yellow

What to make and how?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:17:44 AM UTC+10, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> 4 peppers, bell - assorted colors
> 2 pounds steak, chuck, boneless
> mushrooms, button
> sweet onion, yellow
>
> What to make and how?

If other always-in-the-cupboard ingredients are allowed, I'd slow-cook the beef in soy sauce and rice wine with garlic, chilli, star anise and sugar. Put the mushrooms in there too, maybe for the last 10 minutes.

Cut the onion and peppers into strips, and fry with broad bean and chilli paste (toban djan/doubanjiang). Maybe a little tomato paste too.

Serve with rice. Leftover beef to be eaten cold (works well with freshly cooked rice, or, non-traditionally, in sandwiches).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Timo" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:17:44 AM UTC+10, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> 4 peppers, bell - assorted colors
>> 2 pounds steak, chuck, boneless
>> mushrooms, button
>> sweet onion, yellow
>>
>> What to make and how?

> If other always-in-the-cupboard ingredients are allowed, I'd slow-cook the
> beef in soy sauce and rice wine with garlic, chilli, star anise and sugar.
> Put the mushrooms in there too, maybe for the last 10 minutes.
>
> Cut the onion and peppers into strips, and fry with broad bean and chilli
> paste (toban djan/doubanjiang). Maybe a little tomato paste too.
>
> Serve with rice. Leftover beef to be eaten cold (works well with freshly
> cooked rice, or, non-traditionally, in sandwiches).

Gotta keep the carbs down. Marinating would be good for this meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Timo" > wrote in message
> On Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:17:44 AM UTC+10, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> 4 peppers, bell - assorted colors
>> 2 pounds steak, chuck, boneless
>> mushrooms, button
>> sweet onion, yellow
>>
>> What to make and how?

> If other always-in-the-cupboard ingredients are allowed, I'd slow-cook the
> beef in soy sauce and rice wine with garlic, chilli, star anise and sugar.
> Put the mushrooms in there too, maybe for the last 10 minutes.
>
> Cut the onion and peppers into strips, and fry with broad bean and chilli
> paste (toban djan/doubanjiang). Maybe a little tomato paste too.
>
> Serve with rice. Leftover beef to be eaten cold (works well with freshly
> cooked rice, or, non-traditionally, in sandwiches).

Yum!

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:36:16 AM UTC+10, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Timo" > wrote:
> >
> > If other always-in-the-cupboard ingredients are allowed, I'd slow-cook the
> > beef in soy sauce and rice wine with garlic, chilli, star anise and sugar.
> > Put the mushrooms in there too, maybe for the last 10 minutes.

[...]
> Gotta keep the carbs down. Marinating would be good for this meat.

The Korean version (which would be without the rice wine and star anise) is changjorim, usually cooked with beef shin. I like it. It's the inspiration for my Sinified version above (which, without the chilli, is how I usually cook pork belly).

Might be on the salty side to have without rice.

(I'm currently making something similar for breakfast - thanks for the inspiration!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/7/2013 5:32 PM, Timo wrote:
> On Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:17:44 AM UTC+10, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> 4 peppers, bell - assorted colors
>> 2 pounds steak, chuck, boneless
>> mushrooms, button
>> sweet onion, yellow
>>
>> What to make and how?

> If other always-in-the-cupboard ingredients are allowed, I'd slow-cook the beef in soy sauce and rice wine with garlic, chilli, star anise and sugar. Put the mushrooms in there too

(snippage)

Always in the cupboard ingredients? Not in my world. No rice wine, no
"chilli", no star anise. Nor mushrooms, unless I was cooking something
specific.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I would TRY to cut the beef into very thin strips and grill for a very short time - or reverse that, I guess. ( grill, then cut). I'd never have chuck on hand tho as I think it's tough - but anyway, I'd cut the rest into bite size pieces, whip up a Thai type dressing, and toss the whole mess with a bed of mixed greens. If you want some starch, make up some quick garlic bread sticks. I just cut slices of hearty bread into strips, paint on melted butter, sprinkle with garlic powder and toast it or top brown in my ancient toaster oven. It's Lazy Man's Garlic Toast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 14:17:44 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>4 peppers, bell - assorted colors
>2 pounds steak, chuck, boneless
>mushrooms, button
>sweet onion, yellow
>
>What to make and how?

Casserole... if you have enough onions and mushrooms.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 14:17:44 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>>4 peppers, bell - assorted colors
>>2 pounds steak, chuck, boneless
>>mushrooms, button
>>sweet onion, yellow
>>
>>What to make and how?

> Casserole... if you have enough onions and mushrooms.

Aye, that is probably what I would do.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>4 peppers, bell - assorted colors
>2 pounds steak, chuck, boneless
>mushrooms, button
>sweet onion, yellow
>
>What to make and how?

Two words... braise... beer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>4 peppers, bell - assorted colors
>2 pounds steak, chuck, boneless
>mushrooms, button
>sweet onion, yellow
>
>What to make and how?

It's too bad it's chuck. Otherwise, you have the makings of a Grinder
sandwich. Griddled steak, onions, green pepper and mushrooms. You
need a sub roll and some provolone.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 7, 2013 4:17:44 PM UTC-5, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> 4 peppers, bell - assorted colors
>
> 2 pounds steak, chuck, boneless
>
> mushrooms, button
>
> sweet onion, yellow
>

> What to make and how?

Boy, that's easy, except for the trimming of all of the fat off the chuck,
and I mean all of it. Slice the steak thinly, and stir fry it in high
oleic sunflower oil. Next, I'd add the onion, then the mushrooms and
any peppers that are unripe (green), fresh chilies and minced or pressed
garlic--if I have them--and finally the ripe bell peppers, and at some
point, lots of tamari. When plated, powdered cayenne or arbol to taste.

--Bryan Femen O|O
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/7/2013 5:32 PM, Timo wrote:

> Serve with rice. Leftover beef to be eaten cold (works well with
> freshly cooked rice, or, non-traditionally, in sandwiches).

My favorite way to eat leftover cold steak, as long as it is cooked
rare, is in a green salad.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/7/2013 5:33 PM, Janet wrote:

> stuffed baked peppers
>
> Cut a stalk-end lid off each pepper and reserve; take out the seeds and
> any white fibres.
>
> Freeze half the steak, mince the rest with an onion and brown it, add
> the sliced mushrooms and a tin of chopped tomatoes, season well, cook it
> for 25 mins in the pan, stand the peppers in a dish, fill the peppers,
> put the lids back on (mix up the colours) and bake.

My vote, too. I like your version without rice.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 9/7/2013 5:33 PM, Janet wrote:
>
>> stuffed baked peppers
>>
>> Cut a stalk-end lid off each pepper and reserve; take out the seeds and
>> any white fibres.
>>
>> Freeze half the steak, mince the rest with an onion and brown it, add
>> the sliced mushrooms and a tin of chopped tomatoes, season well, cook it
>> for 25 mins in the pan, stand the peppers in a dish, fill the peppers,
>> put the lids back on (mix up the colours) and bake.

> My vote, too. I like your version without rice.

It's in the oven now. I used two pounds of beef because these peppers are
huge. A shot of dry wine made it all come together. I used a ton of basil
and oregano. I like spicy.

Smells awesome. Will server on a bed of leftover marinara sauce and plenty
of parmesan.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 14:17:44 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> 4 peppers, bell - assorted colors
>> 2 pounds steak, chuck, boneless
>> mushrooms, button
>> sweet onion, yellow
>>
>> What to make and how?

> That is so easy it's pathetic you had to ask.

Actually I think this is going to be awesome. Never thought to use diced
beef in stuffed peppers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 9/7/2013 5:32 PM, Timo wrote:
>> On Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:17:44 AM UTC+10, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>> 4 peppers, bell - assorted colors
>>> 2 pounds steak, chuck, boneless
>>> mushrooms, button
>>> sweet onion, yellow
>>>
>>> What to make and how?

>> If other always-in-the-cupboard ingredients are allowed, I'd slow-cook
>> the beef in soy sauce and rice wine with garlic, chilli, star anise and
>> sugar. Put the mushrooms in there too

> (snippage)
>
> Always in the cupboard ingredients? Not in my world. No rice wine, no
> "chilli", no star anise. Nor mushrooms, unless I was cooking something
> specific.

Rice wine - check
chili sauce - several kinds
star anise - yep
shrooms - only fresh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 22:08:19 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> That is so easy it's pathetic you had to ask.

>> Actually I think this is going to be awesome. Never thought to use diced
>> beef in stuffed peppers.

> Uh. Yay!

Meat not stolen from somebody's cart at the store, either.

Yay!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 14:17:44 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>4 peppers, bell - assorted colors
> >>2 pounds steak, chuck, boneless
> >>mushrooms, button
> >>sweet onion, yellow
> >>
> >>What to make and how?

> > Casserole... if you have enough onions and mushrooms.

> Aye, that is probably what I would do.

A no-brainer for me. I would have used the 2 pounds of steak,
mushrooms and onion for 3 nice steak dinners....add some fries and
corn. The peppers, I would have saved for another day/meal.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> news

> >> Actually I think this is going to be awesome. Never thought to use diced
> >> beef in stuffed peppers.

> > Uh. Yay!

> Meat not stolen from somebody's cart at the store, either.
>
> Yay!

LOL! You have a good memory! ;-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-09-08 12:00 AM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 9/7/2013 5:32 PM, Timo wrote:
>
>> Serve with rice. Leftover beef to be eaten cold (works well with
>> freshly cooked rice, or, non-traditionally, in sandwiches).

> My favorite way to eat leftover cold steak, as long as it is cooked
> rare, is in a green salad.

I like leftover steak sliced into thin strips in a sandwich.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-09-08 6:28 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >, says...
>>
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>> t...
says...

>>> Hmmmm ... a twist on the usual ground beef filling. Interesting.
>>>

>> She did add tomatoes so it was more ingredients than you listed, but if
>> we're adding, I'd add some shredded cheese to what she said too. :-)

> Cheri and I naturally assume that any cook always has basic supplies
> in the house, which include an onion, a can of tomatoes, and a bit of
> hard cheese
> :-

I didn't bother making any suggestions because I assumed the ingredients
in the OP was all there was. I wasn't even sure if there were
condiments like soy sauce, garlic and ginger to to a stir fry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2013-09-08 12:00 AM, Cheryl wrote:
> > On 9/7/2013 5:32 PM, Timo wrote:
> >
> >> Serve with rice. Leftover beef to be eaten cold (works well with
> >> freshly cooked rice, or, non-traditionally, in sandwiches).

> > My favorite way to eat leftover cold steak, as long as it is cooked
> > rare, is in a green salad.
> >

> I like leftover steak sliced into thin strips in a sandwich.

That's what I do. Thinly sliced with salt on buttered toast. yum

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Saturday, September 7, 2013 2:17:44 PM UTC-7, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> 4 peppers, bell - assorted colors
>
> 2 pounds steak, chuck, boneless
>
> mushrooms, button
>
> sweet onion, yellow
>

> What to make and how?

I would make a mushroom meatloaf with a roasted red pepper sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 17:05:31 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 8-Sep-2013, Dave Smith > wrote:

> > > My favorite way to eat leftover cold steak, as long as it is cooked
> > > rare, is in a green salad.
> > >

> > I like leftover steak sliced into thin strips in a sandwich.

> Doesn't everyone??? 8-) I like mine with a bit of horseradish sauce.

or spicy mustard

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 03:16:00 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> Uh. Yay!
>
> -sw

Uh. **** off.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 22:35:09 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> That is so easy it's pathetic you had to ask.
>
> -sw

You're a pathetic balding little jackofff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul,
How did you come to have so many chili sauces on hand? I think I've bought maybe two bottles in my entire life. Fetish?

I've had star anise and rice wine around forever -

mushrooms are bought fresh too, but I usually have em on hand. I hit a BOGO on large white mushrooms the other day - was surprised to see that on a BOGO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave,
Gee, who doesn't have garlic, ginger and soy in the house? I seem to buy garlic on every trip to the market.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> Paul,
> How did you come to have so many chili sauces on hand? I think I've
> bought maybe two bottles in my entire life. Fetish?

No, they keep for a long time so I have an assortment. I use them
eventually. I buy from an online store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kalmia > wrote:

> Paul,
> How did you come to have so many chili sauces on hand? I think I've bought
> maybe two bottles in my entire life. Fetish?

No, certain chili sauces are used for different purposes. Our
refrigerator door contains "The Arsenal of Democracy", including
Tabasco, Cholula, Sriracha, Melinda's mango and chipotle sauces, and
chile-garlic paste. Life is too short to eat bland food.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Fuller" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Kalmia > wrote:
>
>> Paul,
>> How did you come to have so many chili sauces on hand? I think I've
>> bought
>> maybe two bottles in my entire life. Fetish?
>>

> No, certain chili sauces are used for different purposes. Our
> refrigerator door contains "The Arsenal of Democracy", including
> Tabasco, Cholula, Sriracha, Melinda's mango and chipotle sauces, and
> chile-garlic paste. Life is too short to eat bland food.

That's not what I call chili sauce. To me that is the stuff that is sort of
like ketchup but not quite. I do have Tabasco, the green kind. Used
rarely. I don't keep or use any of the rest of that stuff. I don't make
bland food but I don't need that stuff either. Odd, that word bland. I did
ask about it here before and don't remember getting much response. When I
looked it up, apparently it means food that is easily digested. Like white
rice and cream of wheat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 22:11:52 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

> On 8-Sep-2013, sf > wrote:

> > > Doesn't everyone??? 8-) I like mine with a bit of horseradish
> > > sauce.

> > or spicy mustard

> or caramelized onions

Stop it - I'm hungry now!