Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Aldi Beef = Horsemeat?

And what is "withdrawn beef"?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-beef-products

We don't have Aldi here. I have shopped at one twice in PA. It was small
and in those days had no produce or fresh meat. If I bought any food at
all, it was something canned and probably vegetables. Can't remember. Did
buy two cans of off brand diet soda and a stuffed lion. No, we did not eat
the lion! I do have a friend in Chicago who shops at Aldi regularly but am
not sure what all he buys. I know that he buys pretzels and bagels.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/7/2013 7:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> And what is "withdrawn beef"?

It means that the "beef" was recalled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 04:15:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>And what is "withdrawn beef"?
>
>http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-beef-products
>
>We don't have Aldi here. I have shopped at one twice in PA. It was small
>and in those days had no produce or fresh meat. If I bought any food at
>all, it was something canned and probably vegetables. Can't remember. Did
>buy two cans of off brand diet soda and a stuffed lion. No, we did not eat
>the lion! I do have a friend in Chicago who shops at Aldi regularly but am
>not sure what all he buys. I know that he buys pretzels and bagels.

In spite of the misrepresentation, it is a wholesome meat that people
eat every day in some countries. They make no mention that it was or
was not sold in the US though.

The page also has a link telling you smoothies are bad for you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 04:15:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>And what is "withdrawn beef"?
>>
>>http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-beef-products
>>
>>We don't have Aldi here. I have shopped at one twice in PA. It was small
>>and in those days had no produce or fresh meat. If I bought any food at
>>all, it was something canned and probably vegetables. Can't remember.
>>Did
>>buy two cans of off brand diet soda and a stuffed lion. No, we did not
>>eat
>>the lion! I do have a friend in Chicago who shops at Aldi regularly but
>>am
>>not sure what all he buys. I know that he buys pretzels and bagels.

> In spite of the misrepresentation, it is a wholesome meat that people
> eat every day in some countries. They make no mention that it was or
> was not sold in the US though.
>
> The page also has a link telling you smoothies are bad for you.

You are right that horsemeat is eaten widely in Europe (but not in UK).
In supermarkets, horsemeat is in the freezers next to beef, pork etc.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/7/2013 7:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> And what is "withdrawn beef"?
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-beef-products
>

> We don't have Aldi here. I have shopped at one twice in PA. It was
> small and in those days had no produce or fresh meat. If I bought any
> food at all, it was something canned and probably vegetables. Can't
> remember. Did buy two cans of off brand diet soda and a stuffed lion.
> No, we did not eat the lion! I do have a friend in Chicago who shops at
> Aldi regularly but am not sure what all he buys. I know that he buys
> pretzels and bagels.

I believe that to be a European issue, "We believe that the two
particular cases of the frozen burgers from Tesco and the lasagne from
Findus are linked to suppliers in Ireland and France respectively. We
and the Food Standards Agency are working closely with the authorities
in these countries, as well as with Europol, to get to the root of the
problem," he said.

But anyway, back in 1974 when stationed at Brunswick Naval Air Station.
Beef was very expensive, word on base spread of a butcher in Lewiston,
ME that was selling horse meat, roasts, steaks and ground. I started
consuming the ground horse meat of which I found out was healthier than
beef and had a sweeter flavor. The butcher even had horse luncheon
meats! There was even a sign that it was USDA inspected, although that
doesn't mean any thing today, back then it may have.

Michael

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 14:05:38 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 04:15:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> In spite of the misrepresentation, it is a wholesome meat that people
>>> eat every day in some countries. They make no mention that it was or
>>> was not sold in the US though.
>>>
>>> The page also has a link telling you smoothies are bad for you.

>> You are right that horsemeat is eaten widely in Europe (but not in
>>UK).
>>In supermarkets, horsemeat is in the freezers next to beef, pork etc.
>>
>>--

> The best Steak Tartare I had was back in the 50s in Switzerland, it
> was horsemeat. Different flavour to beef but very good. I understand
> why it wouldn't market in the UK but that's a paradox really because I
> can't understand them mercilessly killing badgers

It is because they say that the badgers are giving the cows TB. Once a cow
gets TB they have to be destroyed and some farmers are losing herds to it.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 15:00:58 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>It is because they say that the badgers are giving the cows TB. Once a
>>cow
>>gets TB they have to be destroyed and some farmers are losing herds to it.
>>
>>--

> I missed anything that showed the science was there to prove it's the
> badgers fault. It seems such a drastic course to take.

I am just giving you the official line. I'm sure you can find more if you
google it. If you don't somebody will be in to tell you after googling like
mad
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 9/7/2013 7:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> And what is "withdrawn beef"?
>>

> It means that the "beef" was recalled.

Okay. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 04:15:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>And what is "withdrawn beef"?
>>>
>>>http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-beef-products
>>>
>>>We don't have Aldi here. I have shopped at one twice in PA. It was
>>>small
>>>and in those days had no produce or fresh meat. If I bought any food at
>>>all, it was something canned and probably vegetables. Can't remember.
>>>Did
>>>buy two cans of off brand diet soda and a stuffed lion. No, we did not
>>>eat
>>>the lion! I do have a friend in Chicago who shops at Aldi regularly but
>>>am
>>>not sure what all he buys. I know that he buys pretzels and bagels.

>> In spite of the misrepresentation, it is a wholesome meat that people
>> eat every day in some countries. They make no mention that it was or
>> was not sold in the US though.
>>
>> The page also has a link telling you smoothies are bad for you.

> You are right that horsemeat is eaten widely in Europe (but not in
> UK). In supermarkets, horsemeat is in the freezers next to beef, pork etc.

I have no problem with people eating it. But don't sell it as beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 04:15:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> In spite of the misrepresentation, it is a wholesome meat that people
>>> eat every day in some countries. They make no mention that it was or
>>> was not sold in the US though.
>>>
>>> The page also has a link telling you smoothies are bad for you.

>> You are right that horsemeat is eaten widely in Europe (but not in
>> UK). In supermarkets, horsemeat is in the freezers next to beef, pork
>> etc.

> I have no problem with people eating it. But don't sell it as beef.

Of course, which is why it was withdrawn!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On 2013-09-07,
> wrote:

> > I missed anything that showed the science was there to prove it's the
> > badgers fault. It seems such a drastic course to take.

It's a trial, in one county in England. It does not mean, the entire
UK badger population will be wiped out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badger_...United_Kingdom

> Brits are famous for their high quality badger shaving brushes: Rooney,
> Simpson, Vulfix and Edwin Jagger. They come in different grades of
> badger hair; from so called a pure badger grade, via best and super, to
> the traditionally most prized silvertip, and the newest 'finest' grade
> which is all the rage lately. All massively exported to US.
>
> I am not telling brushes are the only reason for hunting badgers. But
> one of the reasons at least.

Far from being hunted, badgers have been a protected species in UK
for 40 years, and they have no natural predators here. As a result, in
some areas of UK their population level is now very high. In those
areas, there's a serious problem with bovine TB in both badgers and
cattle. 28,000 cattle were destroyed last year after they tested
positive for TB

The USA also uses wild-life culling to control TB in cattle where
wildlife infection is a problem.

http://tinyurl.com/mpyog4s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycobac...ates_of_Americ

"In the United States, M. bovis is endemic in white-tailed deer
(Odocoileus virginianus) in the northeastern portion of Michigan and
northern Minnesota, and sporadic import of the disease from Mexico. Only
the white-tailed deer has been confirmed as a maintenance host in the
Michigan outbreak of bovine tuberculosis, although other mammals such as
raccoons (Procyon lotor), opossums (Didelphis virginiana), and coyotes
(Canis latrans) can serve as spill-over and dead-end hosts. The fact
that white-tailed deer are a maintenance host for M. bovis remains a
significant barrier to the US nationwide eradication of the disease in
livestock. In 2008, 733,998 licensed deer hunters harvested
approximately 489,922 white-tailed deer in attempts to control the
disease spread."

Janet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> "In the United States, M. bovis is endemic in white-tailed deer
> (Odocoileus virginianus) in the northeastern portion of Michigan and
> northern Minnesota, and sporadic import of the disease from Mexico. Only
> the white-tailed deer has been confirmed as a maintenance host in the
> Michigan outbreak of bovine tuberculosis, although other mammals such as
> raccoons (Procyon lotor), opossums (Didelphis virginiana), and coyotes
> (Canis latrans) can serve as spill-over and dead-end hosts. The fact
> that white-tailed deer are a maintenance host for M. bovis remains a
> significant barrier to the US nationwide eradication of the disease in
> livestock. In 2008, 733,998 licensed deer hunters harvested
> approximately 489,922 white-tailed deer in attempts to control the
> disease spread."
>
> Janet.

So.... cattle with this disease are unhealthy and have to be
destroyed, yet our govt. issued 733,998 deer stamps so hunters can
kill them and store the meat in their freezers for family and
friends? hmmmm...

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 09:08:39 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>> Brits are famous for their high quality badger shaving brushes: Rooney,
>> Simpson, Vulfix and Edwin Jagger. They come in different grades of
>> badger hair; from so called a pure badger grade, via best and super, to
>> the traditionally most prized silvertip, and the newest 'finest' grade
>> which is all the rage lately. All massively exported to US.

>Really? Never seen one here.
>

>> I am not telling brushes are the only reason for hunting badgers. But
>> one of the reasons at least.

>Huh? People still use shaving brushes? LOL!
>
>G.

You'd be amazed at how many men use brushes. It is almost like a cult
following for some that have to have the perfect brush and soap.
This is one of the pricier ones.

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Bla...sh_31235 .htm

This outfit lists 156 different ones
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Shav...shes_c_11.html

Are you still LOL?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 09:08:39 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>

> >> Brits are famous for their high quality badger shaving brushes: Rooney,
> >> Simpson, Vulfix and Edwin Jagger. They come in different grades of
> >> badger hair; from so called a pure badger grade, via best and super, to
> >> the traditionally most prized silvertip, and the newest 'finest' grade
> >> which is all the rage lately. All massively exported to US.

> >Really? Never seen one here.
> >

> >> I am not telling brushes are the only reason for hunting badgers. But
> >> one of the reasons at least.

> >Huh? People still use shaving brushes? LOL!
> >
> >G.

> You'd be amazed at how many men use brushes. It is almost like a cult
> following for some that have to have the perfect brush and soap.
> This is one of the pricier ones.
>
> http://www.dermstore.com/product_Bla...sh_31235 .htm
>
> This outfit lists 156 different ones
> http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Shav...shes_c_11.html
>
> Are you still LOL?

Yes, I am. That's very strange to me. Do these "die hards" still use
straight razors too? LOL.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> And what is "withdrawn beef"?
>
> http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-beef-products
>
> We don't have Aldi here. I have shopped at one twice in PA. It was small
> and in those days had no produce or fresh meat. If I bought any food at
> all, it was something canned and probably vegetables. Can't remember. Did
> buy two cans of off brand diet soda and a stuffed lion. No, we did not eat
> the lion! I do have a friend in Chicago who shops at Aldi regularly but am
> not sure what all he buys. I know that he buys pretzels and bagels.

If Aldi in the US carried (properly labeled) horsemeat that would be the
only thing that would get me to shop at that hell hole of a store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 11:15:53 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>> You'd be amazed at how many men use brushes. It is almost like a cult
>> following for some that have to have the perfect brush and soap.
>> This is one of the pricier ones.
>>
>> http://www.dermstore.com/product_Bla...sh_31235 .htm
>>
>> This outfit lists 156 different ones
>> http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Shav...shes_c_11.html
>>
>> Are you still LOL?

>Yes, I am. That's very strange to me. Do these "die hards" still use
>straight razors too? LOL.
>
>G.

Of course they do. Razors start at about $100 and can easily double
that.

For me, shaving is something I do in the shower, but for some men, it
is an experience not to be rushed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 8, 2013 10:15:53 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> > >Really? Never seen one here.

> > >Huh? People still use shaving brushes? LOL!

> > >G.

> > You'd be amazed at how many men use brushes. It is almost like a cult

> > following for some that have to have the perfect brush and soap.

> > This is one of the pricier ones.

> > http://www.dermstore.com/product_Bla...sh_31235 .htm

> > This outfit lists 156 different ones

> > http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Shav...shes_c_11.html

> > Are you still LOL?

> Yes, I am. That's very strange to me. Do these "die hards" still use
>
> straight razors too? LOL.

Me too. And I found it pretty funny that there is a website called "west coast shaving". LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/7/2013 8:50 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 04:15:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> And what is "withdrawn beef"?
>>
>> http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-beef-products
>>
>> We don't have Aldi here. I have shopped at one twice in PA. It was small
>> and in those days had no produce or fresh meat. If I bought any food at
>> all, it was something canned and probably vegetables. Can't remember. Did
>> buy two cans of off brand diet soda and a stuffed lion. No, we did not eat
>> the lion! I do have a friend in Chicago who shops at Aldi regularly but am
>> not sure what all he buys. I know that he buys pretzels and bagels.

> In spite of the misrepresentation, it is a wholesome meat that people
> eat every day in some countries. They make no mention that it was or
> was not sold in the US though.
>
> The page also has a link telling you smoothies are bad for you.

Heh, what do you expect from The Guardian? It isn't exactly a source
I'd use for the truth.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Huh? People still use shaving brushes? LOL!

>>Indeed, that's exactly what I was thinking.

>Brushes can prepare the skin for shaving much better than the aerosol
>creams and gels. Like the difference between driving a Yugo and
>Mercedes. Both may get you to the store, but ones does it with
>luxury.

Unless I'm in a hurry I still use a shaving brush and soap (Kent) and
I also sometimes still use a straight razor... I use Kent hair brushes
too.... I have two, a medium for summer when my hair is short, a stiff
bristle for winter when my hair is long.
http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopdispl...having+brushes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 8, 2013 11:46:40 AM UTC-5, Pete C. wrote:

> If Aldi in the US carried (properly labeled) horsemeat that would be the
>
> only thing that would get me to shop at that hell hole of a store.

You seem like an idiot. ALDI has a lot of items that are fine, at good prices.

--Bryan O|O
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/8/2013 11:33 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> Brushes can prepare the skin for shaving much better than the aerosol
>> creams and gels. Like the difference between driving a Yugo and
>> Mercedes. Both may get you to the store, but ones does it with
>> luxury.

> Unless I'm in a hurry I still use a shaving brush and soap (Kent) and
> I also sometimes still use a straight razor... I use Kent hair brushes
> too....

See, this just prove you are a suave and sophisticated guy with an
appreciation for the finer things in life. .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/8/2013 3:33 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 9/7/2013 8:50 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 04:15:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> And what is "withdrawn beef"?
>>>
>>> http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-beef-products
>>>

>>> We don't have Aldi here. I have shopped at one twice in PA. It was
>>> small
>>> and in those days had no produce or fresh meat. If I bought any food at
>>> all, it was something canned and probably vegetables. Can't
>>> remember. Did
>>> buy two cans of off brand diet soda and a stuffed lion. No, we did
>>> not eat
>>> the lion! I do have a friend in Chicago who shops at Aldi regularly
>>> but am
>>> not sure what all he buys. I know that he buys pretzels and bagels.

>> In spite of the misrepresentation, it is a wholesome meat that people
>> eat every day in some countries. They make no mention that it was or
>> was not sold in the US though.
>>
>> The page also has a link telling you smoothies are bad for you.
>>

> Heh, what do you expect from The Guardian? It isn't exactly a source
> I'd use for the truth.

And what would you use for "the truth"?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 10:21:42 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Brushes can prepare the skin for shaving much better than the aerosol
>>> creams and gels. Like the difference between driving a Yugo and
>>> Mercedes. Both may get you to the store, but ones does it with
>>> luxury.

>> Unless I'm in a hurry I still use a shaving brush and soap (Kent) and
>> I also sometimes still use a straight razor... I use Kent hair brushes
>> too....

>See, this just prove you are a suave and sophisticated guy with an
>appreciation for the finer things in life. .

Actually it only demonstrates that I'm tired of cheapo plastic brushes
that don't do the job, don't last very long, and waste money by ending
up in the trash. Kent brushes are quite inexpensive when one figures
my last military style hair brush lasted from 1960 until just two
years ago, and probably would have lasted a lot longer had I not
abused it all those years by using it as a shampoo brush... I now have
a Kent shampoo brush, even if you haven't much hair it gives a
wonderfully invigorating scalp massage:
http://www.amazon.com/Kent-SH1-Shamp.../dp/B0042UDBFK
It also demonstrates that everyone has different priorities... I don't
eat out much and I can't remember the last time I bought a ticket to
see anything, the last time I went to a movie it was to see Sophie's
Choice... the last time I bought a ticket to a ball game it was for
Ebbet's Field, when Da Bums left Brooklyn I gave up baseball forever.
I'd much rather have nice things... I'll spend a Grand to plant a tree
or on a fountain pen before I'll go out to dinner at fancy schmancy
joints... there's nothing they can feed me that I can't make myself,
and better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> >> Brushes can prepare the skin for shaving much better than the aerosol
> >> creams and gels. Like the difference between driving a Yugo and
> >> Mercedes. Both may get you to the store, but ones does it with
> >> luxury.

> > Unless I'm in a hurry I still use a shaving brush and soap (Kent) and
> > I also sometimes still use a straight razor... I use Kent hair brushes
> > too....

> See, this just prove you are a suave and sophisticated guy with an
> appreciation for the finer things in life. .

LOL again. So you think that shaving (in a certain way) is one of the
finer things in life? meheheheh.

Personally, I see it as a boring daily routine and the quicker I get
it over with, the better. I used to shave in the shower using a
disposable razor. No need for shaving cream as the hot water softened
the beard fine.

I'm even lazier now. Each morning while drinking my coffee and reading
emails and ng posts, I use an electric razor. It might not be a close
enough shave for a date, but it makes me look decent for the day.
Shaving is one activity that I like to keep to a minimum.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> I'll spend a Grand to plant a tree
>> or on a fountain pen before I'll go out to dinner at fancy schmancy
>> joints...

>So, what is you preference in ink? I prefer to fill from a bottle,
>mostly Sheaffer's Peacock Blue (old formula) and Waterman's Florida
>Blue.

I have a bottle of just about every color/brand of ink available...
two of my favorites are Parker emerald green and mocha. I like Omas
inks too, all the colors. Nowadays inks last a long time, hardly
anyone writes anymore, I used to have lots of pen pals but now it's
all email. Today's youngsters are incapable of writing long hand, all
they can do is tweet, they can't converse either. It won't be much
longer pens won't be made anymore and people will just grunt like
Neanderthals.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2013 4:24 PM, Gary wrote:

> LOL again. So you think that shaving (in a certain way) is one of the
> finer things in life? meheheheh.
>
> Personally, I see it as a boring daily routine and the quicker I get
> it over with, the better. I used to shave in the shower using a
> disposable razor. No need for shaving cream as the hot water softened
> the beard fine.

I can go two days since I've turned grey. Yeah, most of the time it is a
boring job, but don't knock something you've never tried. A good
analogy. . . sex is good, but it is better with a woman. Pamper yourself.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/9/2013 3:07 PM, l not -l wrote:
> On 9-Sep-2013, Brooklyn1 > wrote:
>
>> I'll spend a Grand to plant a tree
>> or on a fountain pen before I'll go out to dinner at fancy schmancy
>> joints...

> So, what is you preference in ink? I prefer to fill from a bottle,
> mostly Sheaffer's Peacock Blue (old formula) and Waterman's Florida
> Blue.

Nice for informal letters, but Parker Sapphire and Emerald are very elegant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 9, 2013 4:56:38 PM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "l not -l" wrote:
>
> >Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> I'll spend a Grand to plant a tree

> >> or on a fountain pen before I'll go out to dinner at fancy schmancy

> >> joints...

> >So, what is you preference in ink? I prefer to fill from a bottle,

> >mostly Sheaffer's Peacock Blue (old formula) and Waterman's Florida

> >Blue.

> I have a bottle of just about every color/brand of ink available...
>
> two of my favorites are Parker emerald green and mocha. I like Omas
>
> inks too, all the colors. Nowadays inks last a long time, hardly
>
> anyone writes anymore, I used to have lots of pen pals but now it's
>
> all email. Today's youngsters are incapable of writing long hand, all
>
> they can do is tweet, they can't converse either. It won't be much
>
> longer pens won't be made anymore and people will just grunt like
>
> Neanderthals.

I agree- handwriting is a lost art. Signatures used to be beautiful! Do either of you do any calligraphy? Do you use these pens for everyday things like shopping lists, or are they more for "letters to the editor"?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2013 3:51 PM, merryb wrote:

> I agree- handwriting is a lost art. Signatures used to be beautiful! Do either of you do any calligraphy? Do you use these pens for everyday things like shopping lists, or are they more for "letters to the editor"?

Mostly for notes or letters. It is a different experience as I write
slower and think more while using a fountain pen. Neater too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 12:51:07 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>On Monday, September 9, 2013 4:56:38 PM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> >So, what is you preference in ink? I prefer to fill from a bottle,

>> >mostly Sheaffer's Peacock Blue (old formula) and Waterman's Florida

>> >Blue.

>> I have a bottle of just about every color/brand of ink available...
>>
>> two of my favorites are Parker emerald green and mocha. I like Omas
>>
>> inks too, all the colors. Nowadays inks last a long time, hardly
>>
>> anyone writes anymore, I used to have lots of pen pals but now it's
>>
>> all email. Today's youngsters are incapable of writing long hand, all
>>
>> they can do is tweet, they can't converse either. It won't be much
>>
>> longer pens won't be made anymore and people will just grunt like
>>
>> Neanderthals.

>I agree- handwriting is a lost art. Signatures used to be beautiful! Do either of you do any calligraphy? Do you use these pens for everyday things like shopping lists, or are they more for "letters to the editor"?

I don't do caligraphy nor is my penmanship anything special, but a
quality nib can improve anyones handwriting tenfold. I started
writing to penpals more than sixty years ago, I still exchange
missives with a few folks I've never met in person but whom I know
extremely well through writing... I think writing is far more
personable than email or even telephone... after communicating for
many years it's difficult, no, impossible to hide ones emotions with
the written word. Email is not nearly the same as pen and ink... it's
not possible to write a love letter on a keyboard. I also use very
expensive hand laid papers, and I have a huge collection of wax seals
and waxes. My checkbook pen is an original 1900 Parker Snake, in 1950
I paid $40 (a huge sum for a seven year old), today I can easily sell
it for well over $40,000. Everytime I write a check I draw an
audiance, naturally I don't tell them what that pen is worth, I don't
want to get mugged on the way home. You can buy a limited edition
reproduction for about $3,000, if you can find one. Original fountain
pens are very valuable.
http://www.parkerpens.net/luckycurve.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:38:30 PM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 12:51:07 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
>
> wrote:

> >> I have a bottle of just about every color/brand of ink available...

> >> two of my favorites are Parker emerald green and mocha. I like Omas

> >> inks too, all the colors. Nowadays inks last a long time, hardly

> >> anyone writes anymore, I used to have lots of pen pals but now it's

> >> all email. Today's youngsters are incapable of writing long hand, all

> >> they can do is tweet, they can't converse either. It won't be much

> >> longer pens won't be made anymore and people will just grunt like

> >> Neanderthals.

> >I agree- handwriting is a lost art. Signatures used to be beautiful! Do either of you do any calligraphy? Do you use these pens for everyday things like shopping lists, or are they more for "letters to the editor"?

> I don't do caligraphy nor is my penmanship anything special, but a
>
> quality nib can improve anyones handwriting tenfold. I started
>
> writing to penpals more than sixty years ago, I still exchange
>
> missives with a few folks I've never met in person but whom I know
>
> extremely well through writing... I think writing is far more
>
> personable than email or even telephone... after communicating for
>
> many years it's difficult, no, impossible to hide ones emotions with
>
> the written word. Email is not nearly the same as pen and ink... it's
>
> not possible to write a love letter on a keyboard. I also use very
>
> expensive hand laid papers, and I have a huge collection of wax seals
>
> and waxes. My checkbook pen is an original 1900 Parker Snake, in 1950
>
> I paid $40 (a huge sum for a seven year old), today I can easily sell
>
> it for well over $40,000. Everytime I write a check I draw an
>
> audiance, naturally I don't tell them what that pen is worth, I don't
>
> want to get mugged on the way home. You can buy a limited edition
>
> reproduction for about $3,000, if you can find one. Original fountain
>
> pens are very valuable.
>
> http://www.parkerpens.net/luckycurve.html

One of the best things to receive in the mail is a letter from someone- a check ranks up there also! I can't remember the last time I received a hand written note- it was probably from my Aunt who passed away a few years ago. I remember getting a thank you note from her thanking me for my thank you note I had sent her!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/10/2013 6:50 PM, merryb wrote:
> One of the best things to receive in the mail is a letter from someone- a check ranks up there also! I can't remember the last time I received a hand written note- it was probably from my Aunt who passed away a few years ago. I remember getting a thank you note from her thanking me for my thank you note I had sent her!

I still get hand-penned cards from both of my 90 year old aunts. One is
a sister-in-law, she married my mom's brother. The other is my father's
sister. Some people still send hand-written notes. In my aunt Win's
case (my father's older sister) her cards are prints of her original
paintings. On some really nice rag paper.

Neither one uses fountain pens or writes in calligraphy. They do have
nice penmenship for 90-year-olds. It's nice to get handwritten notes
from them. I write replies that way, too. Unfortunately, it is simply
a ballpoint pen on plain lined paper. I do write in cursive, however.

Jill

At ALDI MisterDiddyWahDiddy General Cooking 0 19-03-2016 05:26 PM
HORSEMEAT, ANYONE?. . [email protected] General Cooking 0 04-05-2012 04:27 PM
What's with ALDI? phaeton General Cooking 71 06-01-2010 09:46 PM
Wines at Aldi Ragnar Wine 14 29-11-2007 12:55 PM
Aldi cybercat General Cooking 151 12-11-2007 05:35 PM