Old 07-09-2013, 12:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Aldi Beef = Horsemeat?

And what is "withdrawn beef"?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-beef-products

We don't have Aldi here. I have shopped at one twice in PA. It was small
and in those days had no produce or fresh meat. If I bought any food at
all, it was something canned and probably vegetables. Can't remember. Did
buy two cans of off brand diet soda and a stuffed lion. No, we did not eat
the lion! I do have a friend in Chicago who shops at Aldi regularly but am
not sure what all he buys. I know that he buys pretzels and bagels.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/7/2013 7:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
And what is "withdrawn beef"?

It means that the "beef" was recalled.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 04:15:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

And what is "withdrawn beef"?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-beef-products

We don't have Aldi here. I have shopped at one twice in PA. It was small
and in those days had no produce or fresh meat. If I bought any food at
all, it was something canned and probably vegetables. Can't remember. Did
buy two cans of off brand diet soda and a stuffed lion. No, we did not eat
the lion! I do have a friend in Chicago who shops at Aldi regularly but am
not sure what all he buys. I know that he buys pretzels and bagels.

In spite of the misrepresentation, it is a wholesome meat that people
eat every day in some countries. They make no mention that it was or
was not sold in the US though.

The page also has a link telling you smoothies are bad for you.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

And what is "withdrawn beef"?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-beef-products

We don't have Aldi here. I have shopped at one twice in PA. It was small
and in those days had no produce or fresh meat. If I bought any food at
all, it was something canned and probably vegetables. Can't remember.
Did
buy two cans of off brand diet soda and a stuffed lion. No, we did not
eat
the lion! I do have a friend in Chicago who shops at Aldi regularly but
am
not sure what all he buys. I know that he buys pretzels and bagels.

In spite of the misrepresentation, it is a wholesome meat that people
eat every day in some countries. They make no mention that it was or
was not sold in the US though.

The page also has a link telling you smoothies are bad for you.

You are right that horsemeat is eaten widely in Europe (but not in UK).
In supermarkets, horsemeat is in the freezers next to beef, pork etc.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 07-09-2013, 02:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/7/2013 7:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
And what is "withdrawn beef"?

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...-beef-products

We don't have Aldi here. I have shopped at one twice in PA. It was
small and in those days had no produce or fresh meat. If I bought any
food at all, it was something canned and probably vegetables. Can't
remember. Did buy two cans of off brand diet soda and a stuffed lion.
No, we did not eat the lion! I do have a friend in Chicago who shops at
Aldi regularly but am not sure what all he buys. I know that he buys
pretzels and bagels.

I believe that to be a European issue, "We believe that the two
particular cases of the frozen burgers from Tesco and the lasagne from
Findus are linked to suppliers in Ireland and France respectively. We
and the Food Standards Agency are working closely with the authorities
in these countries, as well as with Europol, to get to the root of the
problem," he said.

But anyway, back in 1974 when stationed at Brunswick Naval Air Station.
Beef was very expensive, word on base spread of a butcher in Lewiston,
ME that was selling horse meat, roasts, steaks and ground. I started
consuming the ground horse meat of which I found out was healthier than
beef and had a sweeter flavor. The butcher even had horse luncheon
meats! There was even a sign that it was USDA inspected, although that
doesn't mean any thing today, back then it may have.

Michael

Old 07-09-2013, 03:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 14:05:38 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

. ..

--

The best Steak Tartare I had was back in the 50s in Switzerland, it
was horsemeat. Different flavour to beef but very good. I understand

It is because they say that the badgers are giving the cows TB. Once a cow
gets TB they have to be destroyed and some farmers are losing herds to it.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 07-09-2013, 03:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message
On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 15:00:58 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

It is because they say that the badgers are giving the cows TB. Once a
cow
gets TB they have to be destroyed and some farmers are losing herds to it.

--

I missed anything that showed the science was there to prove it's the
badgers fault. It seems such a drastic course to take.

I am just giving you the official line. I'm sure you can find more if you
google it. If you don't somebody will be in to tell you after googling like
mad
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 07-09-2013, 08:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 9/7/2013 7:15 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
And what is "withdrawn beef"?

It means that the "beef" was recalled.

Okay. Thanks!

Old 08-09-2013, 06:38 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I have no problem with people eating it. But don't sell it as beef.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Of course, which is why it was withdrawn!
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 08-09-2013, 12:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
says...

On 2013-09-07,
wrote:

I missed anything that showed the science was there to prove it's the
badgers fault. It seems such a drastic course to take.

It's a trial, in one county in England. It does not mean, the entire
UK badger population will be wiped out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badger_...United_Kingdom

Brits are famous for their high quality badger shaving brushes: Rooney,
Simpson, Vulfix and Edwin Jagger. They come in different grades of
badger hair; from so called a pure badger grade, via best and super, to
the traditionally most prized silvertip, and the newest 'finest' grade
which is all the rage lately. All massively exported to US.

I am not telling brushes are the only reason for hunting badgers. But
one of the reasons at least.

Far from being hunted, badgers have been a protected species in UK
for 40 years, and they have no natural predators here. As a result, in
some areas of UK their population level is now very high. In those
areas, there's a serious problem with bovine TB in both badgers and
cattle. 28,000 cattle were destroyed last year after they tested
positive for TB

The USA also uses wild-life culling to control TB in cattle where
wildlife infection is a problem.

http://tinyurl.com/mpyog4s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycobac...ates_of_Americ

"In the United States, M. bovis is endemic in white-tailed deer
(Odocoileus virginianus) in the northeastern portion of Michigan and
northern Minnesota, and sporadic import of the disease from Mexico. Only
the white-tailed deer has been confirmed as a maintenance host in the
Michigan outbreak of bovine tuberculosis, although other mammals such as
raccoons (Procyon lotor), opossums (Didelphis virginiana), and coyotes
(Canis latrans) can serve as spill-over and dead-end hosts. The fact
that white-tailed deer are a maintenance host for M. bovis remains a
significant barrier to the US nationwide eradication of the disease in
livestock. In 2008, 733,998 licensed deer hunters harvested
approximately 489,922 white-tailed deer in attempts to control the
disease spread."

Janet.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

"In the United States, M. bovis is endemic in white-tailed deer
(Odocoileus virginianus) in the northeastern portion of Michigan and
northern Minnesota, and sporadic import of the disease from Mexico. Only
the white-tailed deer has been confirmed as a maintenance host in the
Michigan outbreak of bovine tuberculosis, although other mammals such as
raccoons (Procyon lotor), opossums (Didelphis virginiana), and coyotes
(Canis latrans) can serve as spill-over and dead-end hosts. The fact
that white-tailed deer are a maintenance host for M. bovis remains a
significant barrier to the US nationwide eradication of the disease in
livestock. In 2008, 733,998 licensed deer hunters harvested
approximately 489,922 white-tailed deer in attempts to control the
disease spread."

Janet.

So.... cattle with this disease are unhealthy and have to be
destroyed, yet our govt. issued 733,998 deer stamps so hunters can
kill them and store the meat in their freezers for family and
friends? hmmmm...

G.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 08 Sep 2013 09:08:39 -0400, Gary wrote:

Brits are famous for their high quality badger shaving brushes: Rooney,
Simpson, Vulfix and Edwin Jagger. They come in different grades of
badger hair; from so called a pure badger grade, via best and super, to
the traditionally most prized silvertip, and the newest 'finest' grade
which is all the rage lately. All massively exported to US.

Really? Never seen one here.

I am not telling brushes are the only reason for hunting badgers. But
one of the reasons at least.

Huh? People still use shaving brushes? LOL!

G.

You'd be amazed at how many men use brushes. It is almost like a cult
following for some that have to have the perfect brush and soap.
This is one of the pricier ones.

http://www.dermstore.com/product_Bla...sh_31235 .htm

This outfit lists 156 different ones
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Shav...shes_c_11.html

Are you still LOL?

At ALDI MisterDiddyWahDiddy General Cooking 0 19-03-2016 05:26 PM
HORSEMEAT, ANYONE?. . [email protected] General Cooking 0 04-05-2012 04:27 PM
What's with ALDI? phaeton General Cooking 71 06-01-2010 09:46 PM
Wines at Aldi Ragnar Wine 14 29-11-2007 12:55 PM
Aldi cybercat General Cooking 151 12-11-2007 05:35 PM