Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Aldi Beef = Horsemeat?

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 6:00:03 PM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/10/2013 6:50 PM, merryb wrote:
>
> > One of the best things to receive in the mail is a letter from someone- a check ranks up there also! I can't remember the last time I received a hand written note- it was probably from my Aunt who passed away a few years ago. I remember getting a thank you note from her thanking me for my thank you note I had sent her!

> I still get hand-penned cards from both of my 90 year old aunts. One is
>
> a sister-in-law, she married my mom's brother. The other is my father's
>
> sister. Some people still send hand-written notes. In my aunt Win's
>
> case (my father's older sister) her cards are prints of her original
>
> paintings. On some really nice rag paper.
>

> Neither one uses fountain pens or writes in calligraphy. They do have
>
> nice penmenship for 90-year-olds. It's nice to get handwritten notes
>
> from them. I write replies that way, too. Unfortunately, it is simply
>
> a ballpoint pen on plain lined paper. I do write in cursive, however.
>

> Jill

I'm sure they appreciate your replies back!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l not -l" > wrote in message

> On 10-Sep-2013, wrote:

>> > I have a bottle of just about every color/brand of ink available...
>> >
>> > two of my favorites are Parker emerald green and mocha. I like Omas
>> >
>> > inks too, all the colors. Nowadays inks last a long time, hardly
>> >
>> > anyone writes anymore, I used to have lots of pen pals but now it's
>> >
>> > all email. Today's youngsters are incapable of writing long hand,
>> > all
>> >
>> > they can do is tweet, they can't converse either. It won't be much
>> >
>> > longer pens won't be made anymore and people will just grunt like
>> >
>> > Neanderthals.

>> I agree- handwriting is a lost art. Signatures used to be beautiful!
>> Do either of you do any calligraphy? Do you use these pens for
>> everyday things like shopping lists, or are they more for "letters to
>> the editor"?

> I use at least one of my pens daily; mostly, for Thank You's to the
> customers of my eBay vintage small appliance parts business. Currently,
> I am using a 1930s Parker Challenger with a slightly flexible nib.
>
> I also use a fountain pen when I need to write a check or pen a personal
> note; fine point Sheaffer Imperial for checks, any of several medium
> stubs for notes. No calligraphy, though I do normally write in
> cursive-italic; the use of a stub nib gives different widths for
> vertical strokes vs. horizontal.
>
> Grocery lists are pencil writing for me; plain old no 2 wood pencil to
> create, vintage golf pencil on a belt-chain when checking items off the
> list. The golf pencil fits nicely into my jeans watch pocket when not
> in use.

Elegant

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/8/2013 8:37 AM, Gary wrote:
> Janet wrote:
>>
>> "In the United States, M. bovis is endemic in white-tailed deer
>> (Odocoileus virginianus) in the northeastern portion of Michigan and
>> northern Minnesota, and sporadic import of the disease from Mexico. Only
>> the white-tailed deer has been confirmed as a maintenance host in the
>> Michigan outbreak of bovine tuberculosis, although other mammals such as
>> raccoons (Procyon lotor), opossums (Didelphis virginiana), and coyotes
>> (Canis latrans) can serve as spill-over and dead-end hosts. The fact
>> that white-tailed deer are a maintenance host for M. bovis remains a
>> significant barrier to the US nationwide eradication of the disease in
>> livestock. In 2008, 733,998 licensed deer hunters harvested
>> approximately 489,922 white-tailed deer in attempts to control the
>> disease spread."
>>
>> Janet.

> So.... cattle with this disease are unhealthy and have to be
> destroyed, yet our govt. issued 733,998 deer stamps so hunters can
> kill them and store the meat in their freezers for family and
> friends? hmmmm...

TB is spread from cows to humans primarily through milk, and of course
deer are not a milk source. But this is why the raw milk faddists are
dangerous: unpasteurized milk from infected cows can infect humans
with TB. This was a major disease vector in the days before
pasteurization of milk became mandated, and indeed is one of the main
reasons for the push by doctors and public health officials to require
milk to be pasteurized.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 00:51:21 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> I love you too, Shelly. Really!
>
> -sw

A queer like you would...

At ALDI MisterDiddyWahDiddy General Cooking 0 19-03-2016 04:26 PM
HORSEMEAT, ANYONE?. . [email protected] General Cooking 0 04-05-2012 04:27 PM
What's with ALDI? phaeton General Cooking 71 06-01-2010 08:46 PM
Wines at Aldi Ragnar Wine 14 29-11-2007 11:55 AM
Aldi cybercat General Cooking 151 12-11-2007 04:35 PM