Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stoves

I'm really getting fed up with my range top. It's a gas stove (GE
Profile)and I've always used gas. Raising and lowering the pan/pot temp
seems more responsive than electric. I have used electric element and
flat top glass electric range.

My current model has 4 different sizes, supposedly one huge one for
quick boiling and a tiny one for simmering. What I do not like is, it
just seems too hot! I can use the tiny burner for simmering yet even
with a thick bottom cast iron pot it will eventually get a burn spot.
I find myself placing my 6 quart cast iron inside a thick bottom larger
fry pan in order to reduce stop the burn.

also, I find it difficult to find a sweet spot for say, pancakes. They
get way too brown.

Anyway, I'm up for suggestions on a future stove. What makes the best
range top?

Mike
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"mawil1013" > wrote in message
> I'm really getting fed up with my range top. It's a gas stove (GE
> Profile)and I've always used gas. Raising and lowering the pan/pot temp
> seems more responsive than electric. I have used electric element and
> flat top glass electric range.
>
> My current model has 4 different sizes, supposedly one huge one for quick
> boiling and a tiny one for simmering. What I do not like is, it just
> seems too hot! I can use the tiny burner for simmering yet even with a
> thick bottom cast iron pot it will eventually get a burn spot.
> I find myself placing my 6 quart cast iron inside a thick bottom larger
> fry pan in order to reduce stop the burn.
>
> also, I find it difficult to find a sweet spot for say, pancakes. They get
> way too brown.
>
> Anyway, I'm up for suggestions on a future stove. What makes the best
> range top?
>
> Mike

The only time I had a stove that got too hot was an old electric. Something
went wacky with the one burner. It made a whistling noise and then the end
of the burner popped off, blasting a hole in the pan. Once a new burner was
put in, it was fine.

I have never had a problem such as you describe be it gas or electric.
Perhaps it is your pans? I don't cook with cast iron so I don't know but...

The size of the burner has nothing to do with the heat or how fast something
comes to the boil. You should match the size of the burner to the size of
your pan. Small pan? Small burner. Large pan? Large burner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2013 8:25 PM, mawil1013 wrote:

> My current model has 4 different sizes, supposedly one huge one for
> quick boiling and a tiny one for simmering. What I do not like is, it
> just seems too hot! I can use the tiny burner for simmering yet even
> with a thick bottom cast iron pot it will eventually get a burn spot.
> I find myself placing my 6 quart cast iron inside a thick bottom larger
> fry pan in order to reduce stop the burn.

Either you need the low end of the burner adjusted or it is just a poor
design. Diffusers may help.

> Anyway, I'm up for suggestions on a future stove. What makes the best
> range top?

Budget? We love our Bertazzoni
http://us.bertazzoni.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2013 9:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/3/2013 8:25 PM, mawil1013 wrote:

snip

> Budget? We love our Bertazzoni
> http://us.bertazzoni.com/

Holy Pastrami! I'm afraid to ask how much they cost! LOL!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2013 9:26 PM, mawil1013 wrote:
> On 9/3/2013 9:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 9/3/2013 8:25 PM, mawil1013 wrote:

> snip
>>
>> Budget? We love our Bertazzoni
>> http://us.bertazzoni.com/
>>

> Holy Pastrami! I'm afraid to ask how much they cost! LOL!

Start less than $2000. If you get a painted model, the paint shop is
the same one as Lamborghini uses.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 20:25:01 -0400, mawil1013 > wrote:

>I'm really getting fed up with my range top. It's a gas stove (GE
>Profile)and I've always used gas. Raising and lowering the pan/pot temp
>seems more responsive than electric. I have used electric element and
>flat top glass electric range.
>
>My current model has 4 different sizes, supposedly one huge one for
>quick boiling and a tiny one for simmering. What I do not like is, it
>just seems too hot! I can use the tiny burner for simmering yet even
>with a thick bottom cast iron pot it will eventually get a burn spot.
>I find myself placing my 6 quart cast iron inside a thick bottom larger
>fry pan in order to reduce stop the burn.
>
>also, I find it difficult to find a sweet spot for say, pancakes. They
>get way too brown.
>
>Anyway, I'm up for suggestions on a future stove. What makes the best
>range top?
>
>Mike

It's very easy to readjust GE Profile gas range to a lower simmer. And
you don't say if you're using natural gas or propane... you could
easily have the incorrect orifices installed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/13 8:25 PM, mawil1013 wrote:

> Anyway, I'm up for suggestions on a future stove. What makes the best
> range top?

Induction is the future, and also -- by far -- the most energy efficient.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/3/2013 8:25 PM, mawil1013 wrote:
>
>> My current model has 4 different sizes, supposedly one huge one for
>> quick boiling and a tiny one for simmering. What I do not like is, it
>> just seems too hot! I can use the tiny burner for simmering yet even
>> with a thick bottom cast iron pot it will eventually get a burn spot.
>> I find myself placing my 6 quart cast iron inside a thick bottom larger
>> fry pan in order to reduce stop the burn.

> Either you need the low end of the burner adjusted or it is just a poor
> design. Diffusers may help.
>>

>> Anyway, I'm up for suggestions on a future stove. What makes the best
>> range top?

I use a thick bottom cast iron pot on my smallest burner and as you suggest,
a diffuser. I can leave that pot on all day without anything burning.
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2013 10:12 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 20:25:01 -0400, mawil1013 > wrote:
> snip
>>
>> Mike

> It's very easy to readjust GE Profile gas range to a lower simmer. And
> you don't say if you're using natural gas or propane... you could
> easily have the incorrect orifices installed.

As it came from the store, set up for natural gas. Well,, I thought they
all come ready for natural gas here in US, then if you run propane it's
up to owner to switch orifices.
Mike
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2013 10:57 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 9/3/13 8:25 PM, mawil1013 wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I'm up for suggestions on a future stove. What makes the best
>> range top?

> Induction is the future, and also -- by far -- the most energy efficient.
>
> -- Larry

Sad to say I'm not worried about energy efficient, how do they work as
far as reaction time; speed of temperature change? Do they cool down
fast? You know, for those recipes that call for brown the meat then
reduce the temp. or bring to a boil then simmer? My wife had one of
those low end glass top electric, I had to move the pan to a different
burner if I wanted to drop temp, otherwise it seemed to take forever to
change temp.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2013 10:09 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/3/2013 9:26 PM, mawil1013 wrote:
>> On 9/3/2013 9:15 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> On 9/3/2013 8:25 PM, mawil1013 wrote:

>> snip
>>>
>>> Budget? We love our Bertazzoni
>>> http://us.bertazzoni.com/
>>>

>> Holy Pastrami! I'm afraid to ask how much they cost! LOL!

> Start less than $2000. If you get a painted model, the paint shop is
> the same one as Lamborghini uses.

Other than build quality, what makes it better than a top of the line
common range found in say Sears? Did you have to run a larger supply
pipe for the gas?
Mike
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"mawil1013" > wrote in message
> On 9/3/2013 10:57 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
>> On 9/3/13 8:25 PM, mawil1013 wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, I'm up for suggestions on a future stove. What makes the best
>>> range top?

>> Induction is the future, and also -- by far -- the most energy efficient.
>>
>> -- Larry
>>

> Sad to say I'm not worried about energy efficient, how do they work as far
> as reaction time; speed of temperature change? Do they cool down fast? You
> know, for those recipes that call for brown the meat then reduce the temp.
> or bring to a boil then simmer? My wife had one of those low end glass top
> electric, I had to move the pan to a different burner if I wanted to drop
> temp, otherwise it seemed to take forever to change temp.

Yes. My mom has one of those and I *hate* it. Takes water forever to boil
and then it won't stop boiling even if you turn the burner off. I also very
much dislike the flat design. Many of my mom's pans are very old and not
necessarily all that flat on the bottom. More than once, I sent one flying
like it was greased.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/13 6:37 AM, mawil1013 wrote:
> On 9/3/2013 10:57 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
>> On 9/3/13 8:25 PM, mawil1013 wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, I'm up for suggestions on a future stove. What makes the best
>>> range top?

>> Induction is the future, and also -- by far -- the most energy efficient.

> Sad to say I'm not worried about energy efficient, how do they work as
> far as reaction time; speed of temperature change? Do they cool down
> fast? You know, for those recipes that call for brown the meat then
> reduce the temp. or bring to a boil then simmer?

With induction, the reaction is instant. The only heat is generated in
the pan itself; the only heat in the cooktop is the tiny bit that is
transferred back from the pan through physical contact. Thus there is no
cooling down to be concerned about.

That's why you can put a sheet of parchment or newspaper in between the
pan and the burner.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2013 8:23 AM, pltrgyst wrote:

> With induction, the reaction is instant. The only heat is generated in
> the pan itself; the only heat in the cooktop is the tiny bit that is
> transferred back from the pan through physical contact. Thus there is no
> cooling down to be concerned about.
>
> That's why you can put a sheet of parchment or newspaper in between the
> pan and the burner.

I've tried the parchment trick - it makes cleanup easier, and it lets me
use my old cast iron pans without scratching the surface of the burner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2013 6:40 AM, mawil1013 wrote:

> Other than build quality, what makes it better than a top of the line
> common range found in say Sears? Did you have to run a larger supply
> pipe for the gas?
> Mike

I use propane and the supply was adequate to run the oven and all
burners. I'm not sure what is recommended for Natural Gas though.

At a given price point, some ranges are better than others and higher
priced are usually better than lower priced. What makes it better is
the burners and how the heat is distributed, the reliability of the
igniter, the evenness of oven heat, how well it controls the
temperature. The top of the range has a full grid consisting of three
pieces. They are beefier than the same type of design on cheaper ranges
as you would expect when you pay more.

None of this matters if you make a cup of tea and hard boil a few eggs.
Like any quality tool, it does enhance the experience of using it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2013 6:30 AM, mawil1013 wrote:

> As it came from the store, set up for natural gas. Well,, I thought they
> all come ready for natural gas here in US, then if you run propane it's
> up to owner to switch orifices.
> Mike

That is the way it used to be and still is for most. Bertazzoni though,
started making two different models, one for NG, the other for propane.
I think it was to assure it was properly set up with the correct
orifice and regulator and not letting the delivery guy do the change as
some appliance dealers have done. .

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> I'm really getting fed up with my range top. It's a gas stove (GE
> Profile)and I've always used gas. Raising and lowering the pan/pot temp
> seems more responsive than electric. I have used electric element and
> flat top glass electric range.
>
> My current model has 4 different sizes, supposedly one huge one for
> quick boiling and a tiny one for simmering. What I do not like is, it
> just seems too hot! I can use the tiny burner for simmering yet even
> with a thick bottom cast iron pot it will eventually get a burn spot.
> I find myself placing my 6 quart cast iron inside a thick bottom larger
> fry pan in order to reduce stop the burn.
>
> also, I find it difficult to find a sweet spot for say, pancakes. They
> get way too brown.
>
> Anyway, I'm up for suggestions on a future stove. What makes the best
> range top?
>
> Mike

I like my electric glass top; it's fast, responsive and very
adjustable. Given the number of criticisms of them from American users
this may reflect the different power systems in UK /USA homes. I find
it far better than gas (or radiant electric coil- rings and solid
electric rings, both of which I've used on previous cookers).

I grew up with gas hobs, learned to cook on gas, and still cook on
gas when I visit my kids who all have gas hobs. Their gas hobs are not
nearly as adjustable, controllable and easy to clean as my glass-top .
It's rare for anything to boil over on my hob. One wipe over after use
and it's spotless.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2013 8:57 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 9/3/13 8:25 PM, mawil1013 wrote:
>
>> Anyway, I'm up for suggestions on a future stove. What makes the best
>> range top?

> Induction is the future, and also -- by far -- the most energy efficient.
>
> -- Larry

But not so much if you like to wok...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 04:14:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"mawil1013" > wrote in message

>>> Induction is the future, and also -- by far -- the most energy efficient.
>>>
>>> -- Larry
>>>

>> Sad to say I'm not worried about energy efficient, how do they work as far
>> as reaction time; speed of temperature change? Do they cool down fast? You
>> know, for those recipes that call for brown the meat then reduce the temp.
>> or bring to a boil then simmer? My wife had one of those low end glass top
>> electric, I had to move the pan to a different burner if I wanted to drop
>> temp, otherwise it seemed to take forever to change temp.

>Yes. My mom has one of those and I *hate* it. Takes water forever to boil
>and then it won't stop boiling even if you turn the burner off.

I have one, and I love it. One of the front burners is a "power
element", and it brings 2 inches of water to a boil in about 90
seconds. Absolutely fantastic for steaming vegetables.

> I also very
>much dislike the flat design. Many of my mom's pans are very old and not
>necessarily all that flat on the bottom. More than once, I sent one flying
>like it was greased.

Sounds like she needs some new pans for Christmas. ;-)

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/3/2013 7:25 PM, mawil1013 wrote:

> Anyway, I'm up for suggestions on a future stove. What makes the best
> range top?
>
> Mike

If you like gas, then stick with that. I liked cooking with gas, until I
ran away from home, and rented a house with a glass smooth top range.
Lived there for a year and loved it. I had to have another one, they are
so easy to keep clean.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2013 11:34 AM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 04:14:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> > Yes. My mom has one of those and I *hate* it. Takes water forever

to boil
>> and then it won't stop boiling even if you turn the burner off.

> I have one, and I love it. One of the front burners is a "power
> element", and it brings 2 inches of water to a boil in about 90
> seconds. Absolutely fantastic for steaming vegetables.
>
>> I also very
>> much dislike the flat design. Many of my mom's pans are very old and not
>> necessarily all that flat on the bottom. More than once, I sent one flying
>> like it was greased.

> Sounds like she needs some new pans for Christmas. ;-)
>
> Doris

I have one of those burners that says "power boil" on my flat ceramic
tovetop and it works well but you have to have a pot that fits exactly
on the burner "ring". My two front burners have rings for 2 sizes of
pots each. I've just replaced some old cookware and kept that in mind
with my replacements.
--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/4/2013 8:47 AM, S Viemeister wrote:

I've tried the parchment trick - it makes cleanup easier, and it lets me
> use my old cast iron pans without scratching the surface of the burner.

That's really neat! (literally and figuratively)

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Corn stoves and barbecue Nonny Barbecue 3 25-06-2009 06:58 PM
Gas Ovens/Stoves... Muddle Recipes 2 16-06-2006 02:19 AM
Stoves Ceramic Hob 900 CTH [email protected] Cooking Equipment 0 10-04-2006 10:45 AM
Two stoves-I'mjealous ~patches~ General Cooking 23 14-01-2006 11:01 PM
Why are gas stoves hotter than electric stoves? Radium General Cooking 4 25-12-2003 01:33 AM