Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Charred 'Long Greens"

Today was the big day to prepare the peppers for winter. I've found
doing them directly on a bed of white coals works best and makes quick
work of large batches. (wear gloves)
They are charred and steaming away right now. The kitchen smells
divine.
I have another couple dozen peppers still on the plants. It will be
several weeks before they are ready. I hope the weather is nice then
so that I can do them outdoors.

http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...tml?sort=3&o=0
or
http://tinyurl.com/nz2ex78

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

http://tinyurl.com/nz2ex78

what do you once once you've charred them?

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 19:50:02 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> http://tinyurl.com/nz2ex78
>>

> what do you once once you've charred them?
>
> Janet UK

You put them in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and allow them to
steam. When they are cool enough to handle, the black skin just slips
right off. Then you remove the stem and seeds. "I" freeze them
whole. I take 6 or so and roll them up in plastic wrap like a cigar.
Others here chop them first. The peppers are used for dishes like
Chili Verde
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ures&FORM=IGRE
or http://tinyurl.com/q8748yz or enchilada sauce.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Got a recipe for the sausage and egg bake?

I happen to have plenty of both on hand at the moment.

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> Today was the big day to prepare the peppers for winter. I've found
> doing them directly on a bed of white coals works best and makes quick
> work of large batches. (wear gloves)
> They are charred and steaming away right now. The kitchen smells
> divine.
> I have another couple dozen peppers still on the plants. It will be
> several weeks before they are ready. I hope the weather is nice then
> so that I can do them outdoors.
>
> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...tml?sort=3&o=0
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/nz2ex78
>
> Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/1/2013 11:45 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> Today was the big day to prepare the peppers for winter. I've found
> doing them directly on a bed of white coals works best and makes quick
> work of large batches. (wear gloves)
> They are charred and steaming away right now. The kitchen smells
> divine.
> I have another couple dozen peppers still on the plants. It will be
> several weeks before they are ready. I hope the weather is nice then
> so that I can do them outdoors.
>
> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...tml?sort=3&o=0
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/nz2ex78
>
> Janet US

Outstanding!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 12:39:48 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>Got a recipe for the sausage and egg bake?
>
>I happen to have plenty of both on hand at the moment.

snip
I really don't have a recipe, it is one of those things that I just
make when I have stale bread. Look on the 'Net for recipes for
Breakfast Casserole. For mine, I have cubed stale bread, cooked
breakfast sausage (in pieces) a little sauteed onion and sliced
mushroom, shredded cheddar (or whatever) chopped, frozen spinach
(wrung out), maybe a little chili-garlic sauce, 6 eggs beaten and some
milk. Oh, salt and pepper. Bake 350F for about 1 hour or until the
mixture puffs a bit. I think that's all. We eat it for dinner.
Sorry I can't give you measurements.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 12:39:48 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>>Got a recipe for the sausage and egg bake?
>>
>>I happen to have plenty of both on hand at the moment.
>>

> snip
> I really don't have a recipe, it is one of those things that I just
> make when I have stale bread. Look on the 'Net for recipes for
> Breakfast Casserole. For mine, I have cubed stale bread, cooked
> breakfast sausage (in pieces) a little sauteed onion and sliced
> mushroom, shredded cheddar (or whatever) chopped, frozen spinach
> (wrung out), maybe a little chili-garlic sauce, 6 eggs beaten and some
> milk. Oh, salt and pepper. Bake 350F for about 1 hour or until the
> mixture puffs a bit. I think that's all. We eat it for dinner.
> Sorry I can't give you measurements.
> Janet US

I can wing it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 22:22:48 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 11:45:41 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> Today was the big day to prepare the peppers for winter. I've found
>> doing them directly on a bed of white coals works best and makes quick
>> work of large batches. (wear gloves)
>> They are charred and steaming away right now. The kitchen smells
>> divine.
>> I have another couple dozen peppers still on the plants. It will be
>> several weeks before they are ready. I hope the weather is nice then
>> so that I can do them outdoors.
>>
>> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...tml?sort=3&o=0
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/nz2ex78

>I realized too late that I should have just placed the peppers right
>on the coals. Works magnitudes quicker.
>
>I'm sure you used a LONG pair of tongs for those and/or some sort of
>gloves.
>
>-sw

The results are almost instant. So much better than trying to blacken
them on the grill grate or in the oven under the broiler. This method
does a far better job. I didn't have to pick at bits and pieces of
black; I just grasped the whole pepper and slid the entire skin off.
Yes, indeedy, I used long tongs and leather work gloves. I was
fortunate that there was no breeze so I didn't have to dodge shifting
heat.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 11:45:41 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:

[...]
>> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...tml?sort=3&o=0
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/nz2ex78

>I realized too late that I should have just placed the peppers right
>on the coals. Works magnitudes quicker.
>
>I'm sure you used a LONG pair of tongs for those and/or some sort of
>gloves.
>
>-sw

I use the burner of the "turkey fryer" with a flame spreader. I works
pretty well and does not require maintaining the fire. The turkey
fryer, by the by, is never used for turkeys. It is my favorite tool
for wok cooking: very hot, very portable, and outside so that the oil,
odors, and heat stay out of the house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 14:29:57 -0500, B. Server >
wrote:

>On Sun, 1 Sep 2013 22:22:48 -0500, Sqwertz >
>wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 01 Sep 2013 11:45:41 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>

>[...]
>>>
>>> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...tml?sort=3&o=0
>>> or
>>> http://tinyurl.com/nz2ex78

>>I realized too late that I should have just placed the peppers right
>>on the coals. Works magnitudes quicker.
>>
>>I'm sure you used a LONG pair of tongs for those and/or some sort of
>>gloves.
>>
>>-sw

>I use the burner of the "turkey fryer" with a flame spreader. I works
>pretty well and does not require maintaining the fire. The turkey
>fryer, by the by, is never used for turkeys. It is my favorite tool
>for wok cooking: very hot, very portable, and outside so that the oil,
>odors, and heat stay out of the house.

We never purchased a turkey fryer. You probably have more peppers
than I did if your fire needed to be maintained. Do you set up a
basket or grate for the peppers?
Janet US