Old 20-08-2013, 02:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default A whole new world of food?

I have heard that people who have the gall bladders removed can eat all
sorts of foods that used to cause them gastric problems. I will get to
test that, not that I have joined the club. Last week I developed a
gastric problem that got progressively worse. My nephew's wife had
complained about a stomach flu and she told me it lasted 4 days.

Friday was Day 5 and my wife insisted I go to the ER in the morning. I
didn't have to get up early because I did not sleep a wink. There is no
wait at 6:30 am. I had X Rays, unltra soundd, blood tests and diagnosed
with a gall bladder problem. I was admitted and kept pain free.. and
food free ;-( and had me operation at noon Sunday. Because it had been
a particularly nasty one, I was kept in for two days to drain the cavity.

The surgeon just came to check me out. The nurse is getting my paperwork
and will pull out the drain and my IV, and my wife is on her way to pick
me up.

Wifi in the hospital..... now there is a big improvement in patient care.

Old 20-08-2013, 02:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 09:41:19 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry to hear about your problems and so glad you listened to your
wife and got it fixed right away. I understand that kind of pain is
no fun. Take it easy and get well soon.
Janet US
Old 20-08-2013, 03:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2013 8:41 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
I have heard that people who have the gall bladders removed can eat all
sorts of foods that used to cause them gastric problems. I will get to
test that, not that I have joined the club. Last week I developed a
gastric problem that got progressively worse. My nephew's wife had
complained about a stomach flu and she told me it lasted 4 days.

I am glad you got to it early enough that you didn't have major
complications. I'm guessing they did it laproscopically... a vast
improvement over the old open method.

One hint... while you can eat anything you want, avoid eating a lot of
fat for a while. Your gall bladder acts as a metering device, adding
bile to your digestive stream in measured amounts to help digest fat.
When it is gone, when you eat fat, that triggers the liver to make bile
which is then dumped into your digestive stream all at once. That much
bile will irritate your intestines and they will flood with liquid to
dilute the irritation... and you may well experience explosive, urgent
diarrhea.

Not fun and kind of scary if you don't know why it is happening. Two
weeks after my gall bladder surgery I had a wonderful dinner of fried
chicken, french fries... you get the idea. What happened about 30
minutes later was almost legendary.

I hope you have a quick and easy recovery.

George L

Old 20-08-2013, 03:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" wrote in message

I am glad you got to it early enough that you didn't have major
complications. I'm guessing they did it laproscopically... a vast
improvement over the old open method.

I had mine done a long time ago and it was the old open method. Recovery
took much longer then. Much quicker now with less complications.

One hint... while you can eat anything you want, avoid eating a lot of fat
for a while. Your gall bladder acts as a metering device, adding bile to
your digestive stream in measured amounts to help digest fat. When it is
gone, when you eat fat, that triggers the liver to make bile which is then
dumped into your digestive stream all at once. That much bile will
irritate your intestines and they will flood with liquid to dilute the
irritation... and you may well experience explosive, urgent diarrhea.

Not fun and kind of scary if you don't know why it is happening. Two
weeks after my gall bladder surgery I had a wonderful dinner of fried
chicken, french fries... you get the idea. What happened about 30 minutes
later was almost legendary.

lol BTDT
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 20-08-2013, 04:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
Oh dear, bad luck !

WEBTV!!! ROFL!!!!

Bla bla bla, you're so clever. NOT! ROFL! And the webtv reference....
seriously? *You're* making fun of *me* with webtv? Do you not realize that
you have just validated everyone who has laughed at you for it?

One note... you can't lay off the crossdressing stuff in your lame attempt
at humor. You got caught on it already, and we all know about it, and "I
know you are but what am I" doesn't fix it.

Now **** off and die, you phony little pussy, and next time you decide to
start flinging shit at people outside your own back yard, try to prepare
your freeble little mind for the fact that you need to be willing to take
what you dish out, because someone may do the same thing back at you. If
you're going to keep being a pussy who wants to give shit but screams like a
sissy baby when you get it back, you'll just spend your sad little life
going through episodes like this where your true nature is revealed to all.

I'm done with you now, shithead. That is, unless you want more.

And unless you decide to resume making personal attacks on people who are
trying to discuss reasonable things. A little good natured banter between
rivals is fine, but you cannot seem to understand why it's offensive to
invade other forums and turn on a tirade of hateful personal attacks on
individuals. So if you go that route again, I'll be back on your ass, with
Goatboy, Ronald, and a bunch more tasty morsels. And go ahead and post all
the stupid shit you want in the Chiefs forums... you're not getting any
action because they are too smart to take your juvenile bait.... and
besides, yuou're just not funny.

Now please refrain from being an asshole and I will do the same.... or not,
your choice.

Besides, I can be a much bigger asshole than you when provoked, so do the
smart thing while you have this one opportunity at a truce.

MBKC

Old 20-08-2013, 04:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

[...]

Gosh, Dave!!! Best wishes for a speedy recuperation

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Old 20-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith[_1_] View Post
[...]

Glad you got the offending organ removed. First I have heard of such a procedure aiding digestion. The folks I know in a similar circumstance have issues handing greasy foods. Hopefully you will skip that symptom.
Old 20-08-2013, 04:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2013 9:41 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

The surgeon just came to check me out. The nurse is getting my paperwork
and will pull out the drain and my IV, and my wife is on her way to pick
me up.

I'm sure the last thing you wanted to be is in the hospital, I'm glad
you're on your way home. Feel better!

nancy

Old 20-08-2013, 05:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/20/2013 10:07 AM, George Leppla wrote:
[...]

Sounds like good advice from one who has been there!

Dave, feel better soon. But don't over-do the "I can eat anything"
notion.

Jill
Old 20-08-2013, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2013-08-20 13:41:19 +0000, Dave Smith said:

[...]

Holy moly what a tale. Good thing/bad thing: at least your miseries
took a total of 8-9 days from soup to nuts.

Whatever the recovery regimen is--stick to it, and get well soon.

Dang what a tale...

Old 20-08-2013, 07:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message

The surgeon just came to check me out. The nurse is getting my paperwork
and will pull out the drain and my IV, and my wife is on her way to pick
me up.

Wifi in the hospital..... now there is a big improvement in patient care.

Speedy recovery to you!

Cheri

Old 20-08-2013, 08:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know if the diet thing is true or not. Two people I know who had
their gallbladders removed, also have pancreas problems. They have to
severely limit fat, particularly animal fat. And no dairy.

Old 20-08-2013, 10:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

Hope you feel better soon. I had WiFi in the hospital, too. Didn't make
it any nicer for me. I am a nursing professional's worst nightmare.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas