Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grocery Shopping

While shopping at Publix today I perused the canned soups aisle and
discovered Campbell's now makes 'Yellow Tomato Soup'. Go figure.

I also saw a woman with her son, he was snapping photos of the hot dogs
on his cell phone. I couldn't help it, I laughed. The woman told me,
"My husband doesn't believe they carry this brand of hot dogs so he's
taking pictures to prove it."

I didn't ask what brand. Just seeing this teenager taking pictures of
hot dogs in a grocery store was funny enough. <G>

I stopped at the farm stand on the way home. Bought more yellow squash,
zucchini, new potatoes. And a nice cabbage. I've got a corned beef
brisket in the freezer. I sense a corned beef dinner in the very near
future.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 14:18:30 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>While shopping at Publix today I perused the canned soups aisle and
>discovered Campbell's now makes 'Yellow Tomato Soup'. Go figure.
>
>I also saw a woman with her son, he was snapping photos of the hot dogs
>on his cell phone. I couldn't help it, I laughed. The woman told me,
>"My husband doesn't believe they carry this brand of hot dogs so he's
>taking pictures to prove it."
>
>I didn't ask what brand. Just seeing this teenager taking pictures of
>hot dogs in a grocery store was funny enough. <G>
>
>I stopped at the farm stand on the way home. Bought more yellow squash,
>zucchini, new potatoes. And a nice cabbage. I've got a corned beef
>brisket in the freezer. I sense a corned beef dinner in the very near
>future.
>
>Jill

Aside from squash casserole, what else do you do with yellow squash
and zucchini? I found a hidden yellow zucchini in the garden
yesterday. I see zucchini chocolate cake soon.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2013 2:22 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 14:18:30 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I stopped at the farm stand on the way home. Bought more yellow squash,
>> zucchini, new potatoes. And a nice cabbage. I've got a corned beef
>> brisket in the freezer. I sense a corned beef dinner in the very near
>> future.
>>
>> Jill

> Aside from squash casserole, what else do you do with yellow squash
> and zucchini? I found a hidden yellow zucchini in the garden
> yesterday. I see zucchini chocolate cake soon.
> Janet US

I'm a fiend for squash so I like it just steamed with a little butter.
Stir-fried is good, too. I bought that nice stir-fry pan and it is
working out nicely. Of late I've started grating zucchini into tomato
sauce to serve over pasta. It's nice.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>While shopping at Publix today I perused the canned soups aisle and
>discovered Campbell's now makes 'Yellow Tomato Soup'. Go figure.

Tried it about a month ago. Bland. We won't bother again.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 8/10/2013 2:22 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 14:18:30 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I stopped at the farm stand on the way home. Bought more yellow squash,
> >> zucchini, new potatoes. And a nice cabbage. I've got a corned beef
> >> brisket in the freezer. I sense a corned beef dinner in the very near
> >> future.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > Aside from squash casserole, what else do you do with yellow squash
> > and zucchini? I found a hidden yellow zucchini in the garden
> > yesterday. I see zucchini chocolate cake soon.
> > Janet US
> >

> I'm a fiend for squash so I like it just steamed with a little butter.
> Stir-fried is good, too. I bought that nice stir-fry pan and it is
> working out nicely. Of late I've started grating zucchini into tomato
> sauce to serve over pasta. It's nice.
>
> Jill

Steamed with butter is the default prep for any variety of summer squash
here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 11, 2013 12:59:03 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 14:18:30 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>

> > While shopping at Publix today I perused the canned soups aisle and

> > discovered Campbell's now makes 'Yellow Tomato Soup'. Go figure.

> I saw that for the first time last week at the food bank. The can
>
> expired in 2009 (it was from the U.S. Mail Food Drive where people
>
> unload their pantries), so it's been around for a while.
>

> Maybe it's making a comeback? I would buy it if I saw it on the
>
> shelves and it had significantly less carbs than their standard Tomato
>
> Soup.
>

> -sw

Most Campbell's soups are gross and overpriced for what
you get. Mass produced slop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2013 2:59 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 14:18:30 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> While shopping at Publix today I perused the canned soups aisle and
>> discovered Campbell's now makes 'Yellow Tomato Soup'. Go figure.

> I saw that for the first time last week at the food bank. The can
> expired in 2009 (it was from the U.S. Mail Food Drive where people
> unload their pantries), so it's been around for a while.

Perhaps. I just never noticed it before. They probably still make
wonton soup, too. Neither one is something I'd go looking for.

> Maybe it's making a comeback? I would buy it if I saw it on the
> shelves and it had significantly less carbs than their standard Tomato
> Soup.
>
> -sw

Why would yellow tomato soup have less carbs than red tomato soup?
Okay, I'll go look it up. Not that I care about carbs. I eat most soup
and chili with saltines or a nice crusty bread.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
>> >While shopping at Publix today I perused the canned soups aisle and
>> >discovered Campbell's now makes 'Yellow Tomato Soup'. Go figure.

> I saw that for the first time last week at the food bank. T

Oh Sqwerty, isn't the SNAP card enough for you these days?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> They could easily make it less carby by laying off the sugar.
>
> -sw

Same for this group by eliminating you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 12:22:41 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 14:18:30 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>
>>While shopping at Publix today I perused the canned soups aisle and
>>discovered Campbell's now makes 'Yellow Tomato Soup'. Go figure.
>>
>>I also saw a woman with her son, he was snapping photos of the hot dogs
>>on his cell phone. I couldn't help it, I laughed. The woman told me,
>>"My husband doesn't believe they carry this brand of hot dogs so he's
>>taking pictures to prove it."
>>
>>I didn't ask what brand. Just seeing this teenager taking pictures of
>>hot dogs in a grocery store was funny enough. <G>
>>
>>I stopped at the farm stand on the way home. Bought more yellow squash,
>>zucchini, new potatoes. And a nice cabbage. I've got a corned beef
>>brisket in the freezer. I sense a corned beef dinner in the very near
>>future.
>>
>>Jill

>Aside from squash casserole, what else do you do with yellow squash
>and zucchini? I found a hidden yellow zucchini in the garden
>yesterday. I see zucchini chocolate cake soon.
>Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Janet Bostwick wrote:

>> > Aside from squash casserole, what else do you do with yellow squash
>> > and zucchini? I found a hidden yellow zucchini in the garden
>> > yesterday. I see zucchini chocolate cake soon.
>> > Janet US

Yup, yellow and green are both zucchini.

>> I'm a fiend for squash so I like it just steamed with a little butter.
>> Stir-fried is good, too. I bought that nice stir-fry pan and it is
>> working out nicely. Of late I've started grating zucchini into tomato
>> sauce to serve over pasta. It's nice.

>Steamed with butter is the default prep for any variety of summer squash
>here.

Here it's rat-a-p'tooie... was gonna make some today but by tomorrow I
will have again the amount I picked yesterday so I will wait and do a
huge amount... no exact recipe, just clean out the fridge. Next lower
default is grilled, if I happen to be grillin'. I don't care for
steamed squash, too bland and a texture like baby food. I don't steam
veggies, that method of cooking extracts a lot of the nutrients, if
you comsume that liquid okay, but most everyone dumps it down the
drain. I prefer cook veggies in stoups. Large zukes are good sliced
into slabs, floured, dipped in egg wash, lightly dredged in seasoned
crumbs and pan fried... can even do a caserole of zuke parm.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> Most Campbell's soups are gross and overpriced for what
> you get. Mass produced slop.

I grew up eating the stuff. Didn't know any better until I was an adult. I
still buy the bean with bacon. It was a favorite when I was a kid. Also
buy the beef with barley and vegetables. I do think my homemade stuff is
better but once in a while I am just hungry and don't want to take the time
to cook something.

I'm sure they have countless other soups I never tried. I can't eat a lot
of them because they have either egg or dairy in them and I can't have
either any more. Even the chicken and rice has milk!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Roy > wrote:
> On Sunday, August 11, 2013 12:59:03 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 14:18:30 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>>

>>> While shopping at Publix today I perused the canned soups aisle and

>>> discovered Campbell's now makes 'Yellow Tomato Soup'. Go figure.

>> I saw that for the first time last week at the food bank. The can
>>
>> expired in 2009 (it was from the U.S. Mail Food Drive where people
>>
>> unload their pantries), so it's been around for a while.
>>

>> Maybe it's making a comeback? I would buy it if I saw it on the
>>
>> shelves and it had significantly less carbs than their standard Tomato
>>
>> Soup.
>>

>> -sw

> Most Campbell's soups are gross and overpriced for what
> you get. Mass produced slop.

I noticed the large can size is not much more money, and 26 oz. Vs 10.5 oz
of the small cans. $2.30 large, $1.80 for small. It's cheap in the large
cans. To the chicken soups, I like adding potatoes, carrots, celery,
garlic, tomato, parsley, etc.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 10, 2013 2:22:41 PM UTC-4, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> Aside from squash casserole, what else do you do with yellow squash and >zucchini? I found a hidden yellow zucchini in the garden yesterday. I see >zucchini chocolate cake soon. Janet US

Try fried zuccini pancakes. Made the same way as potato pancakes. They brown up nice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 07:34:50 -0700 (PDT), Thomas >
wrote:

>On Saturday, August 10, 2013 2:22:41 PM UTC-4, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> Aside from squash casserole, what else do you do with yellow squash and >zucchini? I found a hidden yellow zucchini in the garden yesterday. I see >zucchini chocolate cake soon. Janet US

>Try fried zuccini pancakes. Made the same way as potato pancakes. They brown up nice.

thanks
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/12/2013 10:34 AM, Thomas wrote:
> On Saturday, August 10, 2013 2:22:41 PM UTC-4, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> Aside from squash casserole, what else do you do with yellow squash and >zucchini? I found a hidden yellow zucchini in the garden yesterday. I see >zucchini chocolate cake soon. Janet US

> Try fried zuccini pancakes. Made the same way as potato pancakes. They brown up nice.

I'd forgotten all about that! Grated zucchini pancakes

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/11/2013 2:37 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Aug 2013 13:26:51 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> On 8/11/2013 2:59 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>> On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 14:18:30 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Maybe it's making a comeback? I would buy it if I saw it on the
>>> shelves and it had significantly less carbs than their standard Tomato
>>> Soup.
>>>

>> Why would yellow tomato soup have less carbs than red tomato soup?

> Because Campbells adds a shitload of sugar to the red tomato soup.
> They could easily make it less carby by laying off the sugar.
>
> -sw

I hadn't thought about that. As you can probably tell, I don't often
buy Campbell's tomato soup. I do have a couple of cans in the pantry
just in case. Just in case of what, I'm not sure. Maybe in case of a
burglar I could throw a can of soup at him.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 11, 2013 2:20:11 PM UTC-4, John Smith wrote:

> > I saw that for the first time last week at the food bank. T

> Oh Sqwerty, isn't the SNAP card enough for you these days?

Jesus Christ, Middiot! Aren't you tired of making a fool of yourself yet? I've encountered a lot of half-wits on Usenet, but you're very...special.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, August 11, 2013 4:00:43 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 12:22:41 -0600, Janet Bostwick
>
> > wrote:
>

> >On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 14:18:30 -0400, jmcquown >

> >wrote:

> >>While shopping at Publix today I perused the canned soups aisle and

> >>discovered Campbell's now makes 'Yellow Tomato Soup'. Go figure.

> >>I also saw a woman with her son, he was snapping photos of the hot dogs

> >>on his cell phone. I couldn't help it, I laughed. The woman told me,

> >>"My husband doesn't believe they carry this brand of hot dogs so he's

> >>taking pictures to prove it."

> >>I didn't ask what brand. Just seeing this teenager taking pictures of

> >>hot dogs in a grocery store was funny enough. <G>

> >>I stopped at the farm stand on the way home. Bought more yellow squash,

> >>zucchini, new potatoes. And a nice cabbage. I've got a corned beef

> >>brisket in the freezer. I sense a corned beef dinner in the very near

> >>future.

> >>Jill

> >Aside from squash casserole, what else do you do with yellow squash

> >and zucchini? I found a hidden yellow zucchini in the garden

> >yesterday. I see zucchini chocolate cake soon.

> >Janet US

Speaking of half-wits, here's Sheldon to add all he knows to the conversation. Zero.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 20:32:12 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I do have a couple of cans in the pantry
> just in case. Just in case of what, I'm not sure. Maybe in case of a
> burglar I could throw a can of soup at him.

Have you ever tried to make tomato soup from just plain canned
tomatoes? If you haven't you'll be surprised at how GOOD it is...
much, much better than trying to make it with fresh tomatoes from a
grocery store. BTDT, given a choice - I'll use canned tomatoes to
make soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 20:32:12 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I do have a couple of cans in the pantry
>> just in case. Just in case of what, I'm not sure. Maybe in case of a
>> burglar I could throw a can of soup at him.
>>

> Have you ever tried to make tomato soup from just plain canned
> tomatoes? If you haven't you'll be surprised at how GOOD it is...
> much, much better than trying to make it with fresh tomatoes from a
> grocery store. BTDT, given a choice - I'll use canned tomatoes to
> make soup.

I have heated canned tomato sauce and had it with a little black pepper and
oregano. It's good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Stevers wrote:
> > Campbells adds a shitload of sugar to the red tomato soup.
> > They could easily make it less carby by laying off the sugar.
> >
> > -sw
> >

> I hadn't thought about that. As you can probably tell, I don't often
> buy Campbell's tomato soup. I do have a couple of cans in the pantry
> just in case. Just in case of what, I'm not sure. Maybe in case of a
> burglar I could throw a can of soup at him.

LOL! "Woman stops burglar with can of soup. Details at 6pm"

Since you have some Campbell's condensed soup, give this recipe a try
this week or next while the good tomatoes are available. I'll bet
you'll be pleasantly surprised:

Open the can and add about 3/4 can of water to it. Then add one large
garden tomato, chopped to bite size. While heating, add plenty of
cracked pepper and salt to taste. It's a very good soup. Trust me on
this one. Even though I have TIAD (and I'm proud of it), I think
others will like this too.

It has to be a garden tomato or locally grown one from a vegetable
stand though. It's the tomato that makes it so good.

I also have a good "from scratch" tomato soup recipe if anyone
requests to see it. It's from the Aug. 1979 issue of Food & Wine
Magazine and is +10

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 13:28:43 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> I also have a good "from scratch" tomato soup recipe if anyone
> requests to see it. It's from the Aug. 1979 issue of Food & Wine
> Magazine and is +10

Thanks, I've been saving recipes as I see them and that was one of
them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 20:32:12 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I do have a couple of cans in the pantry
> >> just in case. Just in case of what, I'm not sure. Maybe in case of a
> >> burglar I could throw a can of soup at him.
> >>

> > Have you ever tried to make tomato soup from just plain canned
> > tomatoes? If you haven't you'll be surprised at how GOOD it is...
> > much, much better than trying to make it with fresh tomatoes from a
> > grocery store. BTDT, given a choice - I'll use canned tomatoes to
> > make soup.

> I have heated canned tomato sauce and had it with a little black pepper and
> oregano. It's good!

TIAD....both you and sf.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 13:28:43 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> > I also have a good "from scratch" tomato soup recipe if anyone
> > requests to see it. It's from the Aug. 1979 issue of Food & Wine
> > Magazine and is +10

> Thanks, I've been saving recipes as I see them and that was one of
> them.

Please do share!

Last week at the farmer's market I was able to get two 4 lb bags of ripe
tomatoes for $2 each because they were so ripe. They were perfect for
soup which I made and froze for cooler weather.

I'd love to mix it up with a different recipe if I can get more tomatoes
next week.

thanks
marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 13:28:43 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> > I also have a good "from scratch" tomato soup recipe if anyone
> > requests to see it. It's from the Aug. 1979 issue of Food & Wine
> > Magazine and is +10

> Thanks, I've been saving recipes as I see them and that was one of
> them.

Have you tried it though? It's a bit time-consuming to make but it's
really good.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/13/2013 1:28 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> I hadn't thought about that. As you can probably tell, I don't often
>> buy Campbell's tomato soup. I do have a couple of cans in the pantry
>> just in case. Just in case of what, I'm not sure. Maybe in case of a
>> burglar I could throw a can of soup at him.

> LOL! "Woman stops burglar with can of soup. Details at 6pm"
>
> Since you have some Campbell's condensed soup, give this recipe a try
> this week or next while the good tomatoes are available. I'll bet
> you'll be pleasantly surprised:
>
> Open the can and add about 3/4 can of water to it. Then add one large
> garden tomato, chopped to bite size. While heating, add plenty of
> cracked pepper and salt to taste. It's a very good soup. Trust me on
> this one. Even though I have TIAD (and I'm proud of it), I think
> others will like this too.
>
> It has to be a garden tomato or locally grown one from a vegetable
> stand though. It's the tomato that makes it so good.
>
> I also have a good "from scratch" tomato soup recipe if anyone
> requests to see it. It's from the Aug. 1979 issue of Food & Wine
> Magazine and is +10
>
> G.

I probably would like it. But it's a PITA to remove the seeds so I
don't bother much with tomatoes.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/13/2013 3:06 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 20:32:12 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I do have a couple of cans in the pantry
>> just in case. Just in case of what, I'm not sure. Maybe in case of a
>> burglar I could throw a can of soup at him.
>>

> Have you ever tried to make tomato soup from just plain canned
> tomatoes? If you haven't you'll be surprised at how GOOD it is...
> much, much better than trying to make it with fresh tomatoes from a
> grocery store. BTDT, given a choice - I'll use canned tomatoes to
> make soup.

No, I haven't tried that. When I used to buy fresh tomatoes it wasn't
from a grocery store. There are tomato farms just a few miles down the
road. Were I so inclined, I could get really nice fresh tomatoes
without driving into town.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/08/2013 3:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> No, I haven't tried that. When I used to buy fresh tomatoes it wasn't
> from a grocery store. There are tomato farms just a few miles down the
> road. Were I so inclined, I could get really nice fresh tomatoes
> without driving into town.

Can you grow your own there? Tomatoes are almost foolproof. The only
real tricks involved are to stake them so the fruit does not sit on the
ground and rot, and to get only a couple plants each of different types
of tomatoes. Different types of tomatoes have different characteristics
and ripen at different times. That will give you a crop over a longer
period of time rather than having a sudden deluge of tomatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:37:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 13/08/2013 3:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > No, I haven't tried that. When I used to buy fresh tomatoes it wasn't
> > from a grocery store. There are tomato farms just a few miles down the
> > road. Were I so inclined, I could get really nice fresh tomatoes
> > without driving into town.
> >

> Can you grow your own there? Tomatoes are almost foolproof. The only
> real tricks involved are to stake them so the fruit does not sit on the
> ground and rot, and to get only a couple plants each of different types
> of tomatoes. Different types of tomatoes have different characteristics
> and ripen at different times. That will give you a crop over a longer
> period of time rather than having a sudden deluge of tomatoes.

Tomatoes need heat and water. I can't grow them, not enough heat to
make produce enough fruit to make it worth the bother.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 14:45:11 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 13:28:43 -0400, Gary > wrote:
> >
> > > I also have a good "from scratch" tomato soup recipe if anyone
> > > requests to see it. It's from the Aug. 1979 issue of Food & Wine
> > > Magazine and is +10

> > Thanks, I've been saving recipes as I see them and that was one of
> > them.

> Have you tried it though? It's a bit time-consuming to make but it's
> really good.

No. I discovered the other method beginning with canned and was so
surprised by how delicious it was - I made it twice. It was all the
taste of fresh w/o all the bother.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 11:32:34 -0700, Marcella Peek
> wrote:

> lease do share!
>
> Last week at the farmer's market I was able to get two 4 lb bags of ripe
> tomatoes for $2 each because they were so ripe. They were perfect for
> soup which I made and froze for cooler weather.
>
> I'd love to mix it up with a different recipe if I can get more tomatoes
> next week.

Here you go -

Fresh Tomato Soup
Posted by Charlotte L. Blackmer
From Aug. 1979 issue of Food & Wine magazine

3 T. butter
1-1/2 T. olive oil
3 medium onions, peeled, halved and sliced
2 leeks, peeled, halved and sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 carrots, peeled, trimmed and sliced
2 stalks of celery, trimmed and sliced
1/2 t. salt
pinch of cayenne
pinch of dried tarragon or basil
1 T. chopped parsley
3 lb. ripe tomatoes
1/2 t. sugar
1 shake of nutmeg
3-3/4 c. chicken stock

Skin the tomatoes by parboiling them for 30 seconds, slip off the
skins. Core them, cut in half through the equator, then use your thumb
to remove the juice and seeds, and cut in half again.

Heat the butter and oil in a large pot till sizzling.

Add the onions, toss to coat with the fat and leave them to "sweat"
for 5 min, tossing occasionally.

Add leeks and garlic, sweat for 3 minutes.

Add carrots and celery, sweat for 5 min. more.

Add salt, cayenne, tarragon or basil and parsley.

Add the tomatoes, bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer.

Use a wooden spoon to break up the tomatoes, cook for about 10 min.
Don't let them scorch.

Add the sugar and nutmeg and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce
heat to simmer.

Cook 15 min, partially covered, stirring occasionally.

Use a blender to puree the soup coarsely, in batches.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 14:55:52 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I probably would like it. But it's a PITA to remove the seeds so I
> don't bother much with tomatoes.

Are the seeds removed from canned tomatoes?
This one calls for diced
http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/tomato-basil-soup

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 15:02:58 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 8/13/2013 3:06 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Aug 2013 20:32:12 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I do have a couple of cans in the pantry
>>> just in case. Just in case of what, I'm not sure. Maybe in case of a
>>> burglar I could throw a can of soup at him.
>>>

>> Have you ever tried to make tomato soup from just plain canned
>> tomatoes? If you haven't you'll be surprised at how GOOD it is...
>> much, much better than trying to make it with fresh tomatoes from a
>> grocery store. BTDT, given a choice - I'll use canned tomatoes to
>> make soup.
>>

>No, I haven't tried that. When I used to buy fresh tomatoes it wasn't
>from a grocery store. There are tomato farms just a few miles down the
>road. Were I so inclined, I could get really nice fresh tomatoes
>without driving into town.
>
>Jill

It's silly to turn fresh *salad* tomatoes into soup, sauce, or
juice... just won't work very well. ALL commercial tomato products
(ketchup, sauce, juice, soups) are made from "tomato concentrate, ie.
tomato paste. Excellent tomato soup is easy peasy from a can of
tomato paste and ~three cans water... season how you like or not at
all... I use tomato paste to make tomato egg drop quite often, only
seasoning salt and white pepper. Btw, it's not possible to make
tomato paste at home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/13/2013 3:37 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 13/08/2013 3:02 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> No, I haven't tried that. When I used to buy fresh tomatoes it wasn't
>> from a grocery store. There are tomato farms just a few miles down the
>> road. Were I so inclined, I could get really nice fresh tomatoes
>> without driving into town.
>>

> Can you grow your own there?

I'm not interested in growing tomatoes. But yes, I *could* have a
vegetable plot. I'd have to pay monthly rent for it. About $100/month
for a small "gardening plot".

I'm not the gardening type. Not even container gardening. IMHO, you're
either interested in gardening or you aren't. I'm not.

> Tomatoes are almost foolproof. The only
> real tricks involved are to stake them so the fruit does not sit on the
> ground and rot,

(snippage)

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/13/2013 4:44 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2013 14:55:52 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I probably would like it. But it's a PITA to remove the seeds so I
>> don't bother much with tomatoes.

> Are the seeds removed from canned tomatoes?
> This one calls for diced
> http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/tomato-basil-soup

I honestly don't know. I don't crave tomato soup.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 13/08/2013 4:25 PM, sf wrote:

>> Can you grow your own there? Tomatoes are almost foolproof. The only
>> real tricks involved are to stake them so the fruit does not sit on the
>> ground and rot, and to get only a couple plants each of different types
>> of tomatoes. Different types of tomatoes have different characteristics
>> and ripen at different times. That will give you a crop over a longer
>> period of time rather than having a sudden deluge of tomatoes.

> Tomatoes need heat and water. I can't grow them, not enough heat to
> make produce enough fruit to make it worth the bother.

Pity. They grow well in lots of cool places. As much as I like them they
don't really agree with me. I don't bother with them in the winter when
they are like rubber balls, but I always plant a about a dozen plants in
my garden. I have too many fond memories of making tomato sandwiches
with tomatoes still warm from the garden.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jmcquown > wrote:

> On 8/13/2013 1:28 PM, Gary wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >>
> >> I hadn't thought about that. As you can probably tell, I don't often
> >> buy Campbell's tomato soup. I do have a couple of cans in the pantry
> >> just in case. Just in case of what, I'm not sure. Maybe in case of a
> >> burglar I could throw a can of soup at him.

> > LOL! "Woman stops burglar with can of soup. Details at 6pm"
> >
> > Since you have some Campbell's condensed soup, give this recipe a try
> > this week or next while the good tomatoes are available. I'll bet
> > you'll be pleasantly surprised:
> >
> > Open the can and add about 3/4 can of water to it. Then add one large
> > garden tomato, chopped to bite size. While heating, add plenty of
> > cracked pepper and salt to taste. It's a very good soup. Trust me on
> > this one. Even though I have TIAD (and I'm proud of it), I think
> > others will like this too.
> >
> > It has to be a garden tomato or locally grown one from a vegetable
> > stand though. It's the tomato that makes it so good.
> >
> > I also have a good "from scratch" tomato soup recipe if anyone
> > requests to see it. It's from the Aug. 1979 issue of Food & Wine
> > Magazine and is +10
> >

> I probably would like it. But it's a PITA to remove the seeds so I
> don't bother much with tomatoes.

Hand held food mill for small quantities.

Cut tomatoes into halves then cook then run through the mill.

Tomato mill for large quantities.
Run the skin and seed stream through again, then again.

<http://www.amazon.com/NapaStyle-Italian-Tomato-Press/dp/B001GI6X2Y/ref=sr_1_6/189-1527131-7021962?ie=UTF8&qid=1376430303&sr=8-6&keywords=tomato+mill>
The picture is a joke. The output goes into a multi-quart pot.

--
Michael Press