FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cooking pads (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/425201-cooking-pads.html)

Quinch 08-08-2013 05:34 PM

Cooking pads

I've recently switched to an electrical stove, and there's something that bugs the living daylights out of me. Namely, heat transference.

The elements are metal, and so are the pans. Neither of these is particularly pliable, which means that there's very little actual surface contact between the two, so there's probably a hell of a lot of heat loss.

So my question is, is there anything to help with that, like some sort of soft, heat-conductive pad that goes between the two to help with heat transference {for the computer-wise, basically thermal paste, except in solid form}.

Or anything else that works, really.

Regards,

Quinch

[email protected][_2_] 09-08-2013 07:18 AM

Cooking pads

On Thursday, August 8, 2013 11:34:39 AM UTC-5, Quinch wrote:

> I've recently switched to an electrical stove, and there's something that bugs the living daylights out of me. Namely, heat transference.
>

> The elements are metal, and so are the pans. Neither of these is particularly pliable, which means that there's very little actual surface contact between the two, so there's probably a hell of a lot of heat loss.
>

> So my question is, is there anything to help with that, like some sort of soft, heat-conductive pad that goes between the two to help with heat transference {for the computer-wise, basically thermal paste, except in solid form}.
>

> Or anything else that works, really.
>

> Regards,
>

> Quinch

Aren't your pans flat bottomed?

Cheryl[_3_] 09-08-2013 07:22 AM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 2:18 AM, wrote:
> On Thursday, August 8, 2013 11:34:39 AM UTC-5, Quinch wrote:

>> So my question is, is there anything to help with that, like some
>> sort of soft, heat-conductive pad that goes between the two to help
>> with heat transference {for the computer-wise, basically thermal
>> paste, except in solid form}.
>>
>> Or anything else that works, really.

>> Regards,

>> Quinch

> Aren't your pans flat bottomed?

I'd also ask if the pan bottoms are the same size as the coils.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

brooklyn1 09-08-2013 04:49 PM

Cooking pads

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 02:22:54 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 8/9/2013 2:18 AM, wrote:
>> On Thursday, August 8, 2013 11:34:39 AM UTC-5, Quinch wrote:

>>> So my question is, is there anything to help with that, like some
>>> sort of soft, heat-conductive pad that goes between the two to help
>>> with heat transference {for the computer-wise, basically thermal
>>> paste, except in solid form}.
>>>
>>> Or anything else that works, really.

>> Aren't your pans flat bottomed?

>I'd also ask if the pan bottoms are the same size as the coils.

Electric elements aren't flat either. Electric stoves are very
inefficient.

jmcquown[_2_] 09-08-2013 05:21 PM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 11:49 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 02:22:54 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:

>>> Aren't your pans flat bottomed?

>> I'd also ask if the pan bottoms are the same size as the coils.

> Electric elements aren't flat either. Electric stoves are very
> inefficient.

Not everyone has the option of gas or propane. Electric is the only way
I can cook, unless I use my grill (which is not propane).

Jill

Helpful person 09-08-2013 05:25 PM

Cooking pads

On Thursday, August 8, 2013 12:34:39 PM UTC-4, Quinch wrote:
> I've recently switched to an electrical stove, and there's something that bugs the living daylights out of me. Namely, heat transference.
>
> The elements are metal, and so are the pans. Neither of these is particularly pliable, which means that there's very little actual surface contact between the two, so there's probably a hell of a lot of heat loss.
>
> So my question is, is there anything to help with that, like some sort of soft, heat-conductive pad that goes between the two to help with heat transference {for the computer-wise, basically thermal paste, except in solid form}.
>
> Or anything else that works, really.
>
> Regards,
>
> Quinch

Surely electric heats by radiation and convection, very little
conduction. You don't want conduction heating as it will accentuate hot spots. Gas heats by convection.

http://www.richardfisher.com

dsi1[_15_] 09-08-2013 06:13 PM

Cooking pads

On 8/8/2013 6:34 AM, Quinch wrote:
> I've recently switched to an electrical stove, and there's something that bugs the living daylights out of me. Namely, heat transference.
>
> The elements are metal, and so are the pans. Neither of these is particularly pliable, which means that there's very little actual surface contact between the two, so there's probably a hell of a lot of heat loss.
>
> So my question is, is there anything to help with that, like some sort of soft, heat-conductive pad that goes between the two to help with heat transference {for the computer-wise, basically thermal paste, except in solid form}.
>
> Or anything else that works, really.
>
> Regards,
>
> Quinch

There's nothing like that as far as I know. At least you're getting
better heat transfer than gas. If you want the most efficient method of
cooking you'd pretty much have to go with an induction range or cook
with microwave. The cheapest to operate would still be gas any way you
look at it. People should be looking at ways to improve the efficiency
of gas but it's so cheap that there's little interest.

jmcquown[_2_] 09-08-2013 06:42 PM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 1:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 8/8/2013 6:34 AM, Quinch wrote:
>> I've recently switched to an electrical stove, and there's something
>> that bugs the living daylights out of me. Namely, heat transference.
>>
>> The elements are metal, and so are the pans. Neither of these is
>> particularly pliable, which means that there's very little actual
>> surface contact between the two, so there's probably a hell of a lot
>> of heat loss.
>>
>> So my question is, is there anything to help with that, like some sort
>> of soft, heat-conductive pad that goes between the two to help with
>> heat transference {for the computer-wise, basically thermal paste,
>> except in solid form}.
>>
>> Or anything else that works, really.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Quinch
>>

> There's nothing like that as far as I know. At least you're getting
> better heat transfer than gas. If you want the most efficient method of
> cooking you'd pretty much have to go with an induction range or cook
> with microwave. The cheapest to operate would still be gas any way you
> look at it. People should be looking at ways to improve the efficiency
> of gas but it's so cheap that there's little interest.

Gas is not always an option. There are no gas lines run to where I
live. Everything is strictly electric.

It takes a while if you're used to gas cooking to get used to electric
cooking. There is no problem with the stove or the cookware... IMNO
he's just not used to the stove.

Jill

dsi1[_15_] 09-08-2013 06:46 PM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 7:42 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/9/2013 1:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 8/8/2013 6:34 AM, Quinch wrote:
>>> I've recently switched to an electrical stove, and there's something
>>> that bugs the living daylights out of me. Namely, heat transference.
>>>
>>> The elements are metal, and so are the pans. Neither of these is
>>> particularly pliable, which means that there's very little actual
>>> surface contact between the two, so there's probably a hell of a lot
>>> of heat loss.
>>>
>>> So my question is, is there anything to help with that, like some sort
>>> of soft, heat-conductive pad that goes between the two to help with
>>> heat transference {for the computer-wise, basically thermal paste,
>>> except in solid form}.
>>>
>>> Or anything else that works, really.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Quinch
>>>

>> There's nothing like that as far as I know. At least you're getting
>> better heat transfer than gas. If you want the most efficient method of
>> cooking you'd pretty much have to go with an induction range or cook
>> with microwave. The cheapest to operate would still be gas any way you
>> look at it. People should be looking at ways to improve the efficiency
>> of gas but it's so cheap that there's little interest.

> Gas is not always an option. There are no gas lines run to where I
> live. Everything is strictly electric.
>
> It takes a while if you're used to gas cooking to get used to electric
> cooking. There is no problem with the stove or the cookware... IMNO
> he's just not used to the stove.

I think your analysis of the situation is correct. It would take me a
while to get used to gas again.

brooklyn1 09-08-2013 08:04 PM

Cooking pads

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 07:46:16 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 8/9/2013 7:42 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> There's nothing like that as far as I know. At least you're getting
>>> better heat transfer than gas. If you want the most efficient method of
>>> cooking you'd pretty much have to go with an induction range or cook
>>> with microwave. The cheapest to operate would still be gas any way you
>>> look at it. People should be looking at ways to improve the efficiency
>>> of gas but it's so cheap that there's little interest.

>> Gas is not always an option. There are no gas lines run to where I
>> live. Everything is strictly electric.
>>
>> It takes a while if you're used to gas cooking to get used to electric
>> cooking. There is no problem with the stove or the cookware... IMNO
>> he's just not used to the stove.

>I think your analysis of the situation is correct. It would take me a
>while to get used to gas again.

Yeah, 18 seconds, or less

Julie Bove[_2_] 09-08-2013 08:06 PM

Cooking pads

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Gas is not always an option. There are no gas lines run to where I live.
> Everything is strictly electric.
>
> It takes a while if you're used to gas cooking to get used to electric
> cooking. There is no problem with the stove or the cookware... IMNO he's
> just not used to the stove.

I have had gas and electric. Both older and newer stoves. Both were fine
but if I had to choose, I think I'd choose electric. I say this only
because I did have trouble with the military issue stoves. They didn't
always want to stay lit. They were gas of course.

Gary 09-08-2013 08:19 PM

Cooking pads

jmcquown wrote:

> Not everyone has the option of gas or propane. Electric is the only way
> I can cook, unless I use my grill (which is not propane).

And that's exactly why you should sell that place and move. You like
to cook and evidently do a good job of it. Find yourself a place with
a good gas stove and formica countertops that can withstand constant
use and abuse.

G.

Gary 09-08-2013 08:27 PM

Cooking pads

jmcquown wrote:

> Gas is not always an option. There are no gas lines run to where I
> live. Everything is strictly electric.

Copout and denial, Jill. My first apt had gas stove with a small pipe
from stove into the wall. Outside was a large propane tank to fuel it.
Each tank lasted about 2 years. Sadly, my first tank ran out halfway
through the cooking of a Thanksgiving turkey. It cooked long enough to
fill the house with good smells, but then hours later when it should
have been done, it was half raw and cold. I had to throw it out and
actually had delivery pizza that time.

G.

S Viemeister[_2_] 09-08-2013 09:03 PM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 3:27 PM, Gary wrote:
> Copout and denial, Jill. My first apt had gas stove with a small pipe
> from stove into the wall. Outside was a large propane tank to fuel it.
> Each tank lasted about 2 years. Sadly, my first tank ran out halfway
> through the cooking of a Thanksgiving turkey. It cooked long enough to
> fill the house with good smells, but then hours later when it should
> have been done, it was half raw and cold. I had to throw it out and
> actually had delivery pizza that time.

When I had my gas stove installed, I got two tanks with an automatic
switchover. When one runs out, a red flag pops up and I have plenty of
time to schedule a refill/exchange/replacement of the empty one.

Ophelia[_9_] 09-08-2013 09:16 PM

Cooking pads

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Gas is not always an option. There are no gas lines run to where I
>> live. Everything is strictly electric.

> Copout and denial, Jill. My first apt had gas stove with a small pipe
> from stove into the wall. Outside was a large propane tank to fuel it.
> Each tank lasted about 2 years. Sadly, my first tank ran out halfway
> through the cooking of a Thanksgiving turkey. It cooked long enough to
> fill the house with good smells, but then hours later when it should
> have been done, it was half raw and cold. I had to throw it out and
> actually had delivery pizza that time.

Oh:( Do those things not have some kind of meter on them?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Ophelia[_9_] 09-08-2013 09:16 PM

Cooking pads

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 8/9/2013 3:27 PM, Gary wrote:
>> Copout and denial, Jill. My first apt had gas stove with a small pipe
>> from stove into the wall. Outside was a large propane tank to fuel it.
>> Each tank lasted about 2 years. Sadly, my first tank ran out halfway
>> through the cooking of a Thanksgiving turkey. It cooked long enough to
>> fill the house with good smells, but then hours later when it should
>> have been done, it was half raw and cold. I had to throw it out and
>> actually had delivery pizza that time.
>>

> When I had my gas stove installed, I got two tanks with an automatic
> switchover. When one runs out, a red flag pops up and I have plenty of
> time to schedule a refill/exchange/replacement of the empty one.

That sounds a much better option:)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

brooklyn1 09-08-2013 10:07 PM

Cooking pads

On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 21:16:32 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>> On 8/9/2013 3:27 PM, Gary wrote:
>>> Copout and denial, Jill. My first apt had gas stove with a small pipe
>>> from stove into the wall. Outside was a large propane tank to fuel it.
>>> Each tank lasted about 2 years. Sadly, my first tank ran out halfway
>>> through the cooking of a Thanksgiving turkey. It cooked long enough to
>>> fill the house with good smells, but then hours later when it should
>>> have been done, it was half raw and cold. I had to throw it out and
>>> actually had delivery pizza that time.
>>>

>> When I had my gas stove installed, I got two tanks with an automatic
>> switchover. When one runs out, a red flag pops up and I have plenty of
>> time to schedule a refill/exchange/replacement of the empty one.

>That sounds a much better option:)

I heat/cook with propane so I have a 500 gallon tank that's filled
regularly based on degree days, I don't need to call. However they
may not permit propane tanks where Jill lives, apparently there are a
lot of HOA rulz there... and I can understand why, a lot of people
ignore the safety rules and will use propane grill tanks to operate
their inside cook stoves, a big no-no.

Ophelia[_9_] 09-08-2013 10:20 PM

Cooking pads

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 9 Aug 2013 21:16:32 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> When I had my gas stove installed, I got two tanks with an automatic
>>> switchover. When one runs out, a red flag pops up and I have plenty of
>>> time to schedule a refill/exchange/replacement of the empty one.

>>That sounds a much better option:)

> I heat/cook with propane so I have a 500 gallon tank that's filled
> regularly based on degree days, I don't need to call. However they
> may not permit propane tanks where Jill lives, apparently there are a
> lot of HOA rulz there... and I can understand why, a lot of people
> ignore the safety rules and will use propane grill tanks to operate
> their inside cook stoves, a big no-no.

Ah yes! At our house we have gas piped in and it is used for cooking and
heating, but at our cottage in the north, the cooker is electric and for
heating there is an oil tank which has an indicator of the contents (a
level gauge) and that heating oil is paraffin. I don't have any experience
of propane in big tanks. We do use propane for our caravan, although that
is in bottles.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Mark Curry 09-08-2013 10:38 PM

Cooking pads

In article >,
jmcquown > wrote:
>Gas is not always an option. There are no gas lines run to where I
>live. Everything is strictly electric.
>
>It takes a while if you're used to gas cooking to get used to electric
>cooking. There is no problem with the stove or the cookware... IMNO
>he's just not used to the stove.

Funny related story - we've always had gas cooktops at our home.
Summer vacation this year, we stayed in a cabin with a small electric
stovetop. Early the first morning there, the 15 year comes into
the bedroom asking where the lighter is so he can make breakfast.

Half asleep, I mumble "picnic basket". A few moments later,
"I can't get it to light." I wake a bit more, realize what's happening
and go and explain to him how the electric cooktop works...

--Mark
<regular lurker...>

dsi1[_15_] 09-08-2013 10:39 PM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 9:04 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Yeah, 18 seconds, or less

I'm thinking 3 months. It took me 6 months to get into the groove of
induction cooking.

Ophelia[_9_] 09-08-2013 10:43 PM

Cooking pads

"Mark Curry" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> jmcquown > wrote:
>>Gas is not always an option. There are no gas lines run to where I
>>live. Everything is strictly electric.
>>
>>It takes a while if you're used to gas cooking to get used to electric
>>cooking. There is no problem with the stove or the cookware... IMNO
>>he's just not used to the stove.

> Funny related story - we've always had gas cooktops at our home.
> Summer vacation this year, we stayed in a cabin with a small electric
> stovetop. Early the first morning there, the 15 year comes into
> the bedroom asking where the lighter is so he can make breakfast.
>
> Half asleep, I mumble "picnic basket". A few moments later,
> "I can't get it to light." I wake a bit more, realize what's happening
> and go and explain to him how the electric cooktop works...

awwwwwww:)))

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1[_15_] 09-08-2013 10:48 PM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 9:19 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Not everyone has the option of gas or propane. Electric is the only way
>> I can cook, unless I use my grill (which is not propane).

> And that's exactly why you should sell that place and move. You like
> to cook and evidently do a good job of it. Find yourself a place with
> a good gas stove and formica countertops that can withstand constant
> use and abuse.
>
> G.

Nobody buys a house because it has a gas appliance, at least, I
wouldn't. I grew up using gas and I can take it or leave it. OTOH, a gas
line into our house was a big deal back in the early 60s. I remember
there was literature from the gas company telling my parents how great
the all-gas home was. My main beef with gas is that in the tropics, it
can be very uncomfortable. We have 70 percent relative humidity and that
thing puts out heat and water vapor.

Ophelia[_9_] 09-08-2013 10:51 PM

Cooking pads

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 8/9/2013 9:04 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, 18 seconds, or less
>>

> I'm thinking 3 months. It took me 6 months to get into the groove of
> induction cooking.

My daughter in Germany has an induction cooker. I don't think I could ever
get used to that:( She uses it fine but not for me:(

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

dsi1[_15_] 09-08-2013 11:05 PM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 11:51 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On 8/9/2013 9:04 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>
>>> Yeah, 18 seconds, or less
>>>

>> I'm thinking 3 months. It took me 6 months to get into the groove of
>> induction cooking.

> My daughter in Germany has an induction cooker. I don't think I could
> ever get used to that:( She uses it fine but not for me:(

It's a different rhythm. Things just happen faster. Typically, there's
no need to warm up a pan. This morning I dumped a chicken in a pot of
water with some aromatic veggies for a stock. I brought it to a boil and
let it simmer for 5 minutes. This took about ten minutes which was all
the time I had. I'll finish it when I get home but I've got a head
start. I wouldn't have been able to do this in a regular stove.

Ophelia[_9_] 09-08-2013 11:18 PM

Cooking pads

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 8/9/2013 11:51 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I'm thinking 3 months. It took me 6 months to get into the groove of
>>> induction cooking.

>> My daughter in Germany has an induction cooker. I don't think I could
>> ever get used to that:( She uses it fine but not for me:(
>>

> It's a different rhythm. Things just happen faster. Typically, there's no
> need to warm up a pan. This morning I dumped a chicken in a pot of water
> with some aromatic veggies for a stock. I brought it to a boil and let it
> simmer for 5 minutes. This took about ten minutes which was all the time I
> had. I'll finish it when I get home but I've got a head start. I wouldn't
> have been able to do this in a regular stove.

I guess you are happy with it, yes? That is all that matters:)) To me it
looks like the black arts .... ;)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

jmcquown[_2_] 09-08-2013 11:33 PM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 3:19 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Not everyone has the option of gas or propane. Electric is the only way
>> I can cook, unless I use my grill (which is not propane).

> And that's exactly why you should sell that place and move. You like
> to cook and evidently do a good job of it. Find yourself a place with
> a good gas stove and formica countertops that can withstand constant
> use and abuse.
>
> G.

Huh?! I have no problem with my electric stove (or my formica
countertops). I had a gas stove in an apartment when I was in my early
20's. I don't miss it. I'm used to cooking with electric. I don't
need "cooking pads" to get heat to conduct.

Jill

dsi1[_15_] 09-08-2013 11:58 PM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 12:18 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> I guess you are happy with it, yes? That is all that matters:)) To me
> it looks like the black arts .... ;)

Magic - that's a good word for it.

brooklyn1 10-08-2013 01:20 AM

Cooking pads

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 12:05:46 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 8/9/2013 11:51 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I'm thinking 3 months. It took me 6 months to get into the groove of
>>> induction cooking.

>> My daughter in Germany has an induction cooker. I don't think I could
>> ever get used to that:( She uses it fine but not for me:(
>>

>It's a different rhythm. Things just happen faster. Typically, there's
>no need to warm up a pan. This morning I dumped a chicken in a pot of
>water with some aromatic veggies for a stock. I brought it to a boil and
>let it simmer for 5 minutes. This took about ten minutes which was all
>the time I had. I'll finish it when I get home but I've got a head
>start. I wouldn't have been able to do this in a regular stove.

My propane gas stove brings 6 quarts of water to the boil in 8
minutes, and it's just an ordinary GE stove with an ordinary
Revereware pot... I know how long it takes because I do this all the
time with that pot filled 3/4 for pasta... I put the lid on and set
the timer for 8 minutes while I go do something else.

dsi1[_15_] 10-08-2013 01:24 AM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 2:20 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> My propane gas stove brings 6 quarts of water to the boil in 8
> minutes, and it's just an ordinary GE stove with an ordinary
> Revereware pot... I know how long it takes because I do this all the
> time with that pot filled 3/4 for pasta... I put the lid on and set
> the timer for 8 minutes while I go do something else.

What the stove needs is timer for the burner cause it does slow cooking
very well.

brooklyn1 10-08-2013 01:32 AM

Cooking pads

dsi1 wrote:
>Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Not everyone has the option of gas or propane. Electric is the only way
>>> I can cook, unless I use my grill (which is not propane).

>> And that's exactly why you should sell that place and move. You like
>> to cook and evidently do a good job of it. Find yourself a place with
>> a good gas stove and formica countertops that can withstand constant
>> use and abuse.

>Nobody buys a house because it has a gas appliance, at least, I
>wouldn't. I grew up using gas and I can take it or leave it. OTOH, a gas
>line into our house was a big deal back in the early 60s. I remember
>there was literature from the gas company telling my parents how great
>the all-gas home was. My main beef with gas is that in the tropics, it
>can be very uncomfortable. We have 70 percent relative humidity and that
>thing puts out heat and water vapor.

That's just silly... all cooking produces heat and water vapor, most
foods are about 80% water... the amount of water produced from burning
gas is inconsequential compared to that from cooking food. And living
in the tropics it's humid all the time, cooking or not. And in the
tropics most folks cook outdoors. I lived in the tropics, most folks
cook with propane, electric isn't even readily available everywhere,
many have refrigerators that operate with kerosene.

brooklyn1 10-08-2013 01:37 AM

Cooking pads

jmcquown wrote:
>Gary wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Not everyone has the option of gas or propane. Electric is the only way
>>> I can cook, unless I use my grill (which is not propane).

>> And that's exactly why you should sell that place and move. You like
>> to cook and evidently do a good job of it. Find yourself a place with
>> a good gas stove and formica countertops that can withstand constant
>> use and abuse.
>>

>Huh?! I have no problem with my electric stove (or my formica
>countertops). I had a gas stove in an apartment when I was in my early
>20's. I don't miss it. I'm used to cooking with electric. I don't
>need "cooking pads" to get heat to conduct.

Often with electric the temperture won't go low enough, there are wire
thingies one places on the element so that the pot bottom doesn't make
contact... with gas the same thing is accomplished with a diffuser.
There are also plain metal discs called heat tamers.

brooklyn1 10-08-2013 01:42 AM

Cooking pads

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 14:24:26 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 8/9/2013 2:20 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> My propane gas stove brings 6 quarts of water to the boil in 8
>> minutes, and it's just an ordinary GE stove with an ordinary
>> Revereware pot... I know how long it takes because I do this all the
>> time with that pot filled 3/4 for pasta... I put the lid on and set
>> the timer for 8 minutes while I go do something else.
>>

>What the stove needs is timer for the burner cause it does slow cooking
>very well.

Huh?

[email protected] 10-08-2013 06:44 AM

Cooking pads

On Friday, August 9, 2013 2:48:37 PM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:
> On 8/9/2013 9:19 AM, Gary wrote:
>
> > jmcquown wrote:

> >> Not everyone has the option of gas or propane. Electric is the only way
> >> I can cook, unless I use my grill (which is not propane).

> > And that's exactly why you should sell that place and move. You like
> > to cook and evidently do a good job of it. Find yourself a place with
> > a good gas stove and formica countertops that can withstand constant
> > use and abuse.

> Nobody buys a house because it has a gas appliance, at least, I
> wouldn't. I grew up using gas and I can take it or leave it. OTOH, a gas
> line into our house was a big deal back in the early 60s. I remember
> there was literature from the gas company telling my parents how great
> the all-gas home was. My main beef with gas is that in the tropics, it
> can be very uncomfortable. We have 70 percent relative humidity and that
> thing puts out heat and water vapor.

I wouldn't have an all gas home, no matter how romantic gas light is. Changing
the mantles is a pain, and of course they are radioactive.

When I was a kid, the gas utility had a jingle: Gas does the big jobs better,
for less. And consistently since that time, natural gas has been cheaper
than electricity for heating, cooking, and drying clothes. And it is available
whenever you want it -- there has never been a natural gas outage in my
experience.

jmcquown[_2_] 10-08-2013 07:57 AM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 8:37 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Gary wrote:

>>> And that's exactly why you should sell that place and move. You like
>>> to cook and evidently do a good job of it. Find yourself a place with
>>> a good gas stove and formica countertops that can withstand constant
>>> use and abuse.
>>>

>> Huh?! I have no problem with my electric stove (or my formica
>> countertops). I had a gas stove in an apartment when I was in my early
>> 20's. I don't miss it. I'm used to cooking with electric. I don't
>> need "cooking pads" to get heat to conduct.

> Often with electric the temperture won't go low enough, there are wire
> thingies one places on the element so that the pot bottom doesn't make
> contact... with gas the same thing is accomplished with a diffuser.
> There are also plain metal discs called heat tamers.

That's true, but I've never had the need to use a heat diffuser. I know
which burners tend to run "hot" and which don't. I cook accordingly.

Jill

Cheryl[_3_] 10-08-2013 08:11 AM

Cooking pads

On 8/10/2013 2:57 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> That's true, but I've never had the need to use a heat diffuser. I know
> which burners tend to run "hot" and which don't. I cook accordingly.

As a long time electric oven/range user, I agree with this post. You get
to know your appliances and you adapt to them. They don't all cook the same.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

jmcquown[_2_] 10-08-2013 08:21 AM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 3:27 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Gas is not always an option. There are no gas lines run to where I
>> live. Everything is strictly electric.

> Copout and denial, Jill.

Copout? Denial? I don't know what you're talking about.

> My first apt had gas stove with a small pipe
> from stove into the wall. Outside was a large propane tank to fuel it.
> Each tank lasted about 2 years.

The only propane tank I have is for the fireplace, which has never been
used. As far as I tell the tank has never been filled. (I wish it was
a wood burning fireplace.) I sure as hell wouldn't want to rely on
propane in order to cook.

When there is a blackout, people rush around trying to find places to
refill the tanks for their gas grills. Me, I just break out the
charcoal. :)

> Sadly, my first tank ran out halfway through the cooking of a Thanksgiving turkey.

(snippage)
> G.

I rest my case. If the electricity goes off for any length of time I
fire up the Weber kettle. I've cooked for a week without electricity.
Everything from bacon and eggs on a cast iron griddle to a pot of soup.
Cast iron cookware comes in handy during a power outage. I really see
no need for gas or propane. Wouldn't want to rely on whether or not the
tank was filled.

Jill

Cheryl[_3_] 10-08-2013 08:29 AM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 3:27 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Gas is not always an option. There are no gas lines run to where I
>> live. Everything is strictly electric.

> Copout and denial, Jill. My first apt had gas stove with a small pipe
> from stove into the wall. Outside was a large propane tank to fuel it.
> Each tank lasted about 2 years. Sadly, my first tank ran out halfway
> through the cooking of a Thanksgiving turkey. It cooked long enough to
> fill the house with good smells, but then hours later when it should
> have been done, it was half raw and cold. I had to throw it out and
> actually had delivery pizza that time.
>
> G.

So that experience didn't give you any thoughts that it wasn't the most
effective way to cook? It sure would for me. Electric doesn't run out,
unless of course there's a power outage, and so many gas stoves these
days have electronics in them to use so they won't work in power outage
either.

I don't have the option for gas in my house either, and having to deal
with something like a propane tank that has to be kept up doesn't appeal
to me. Too much planning involved.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

jmcquown[_2_] 10-08-2013 08:33 AM

Cooking pads

On 8/10/2013 3:11 AM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 8/10/2013 2:57 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> That's true, but I've never had the need to use a heat diffuser. I know
>> which burners tend to run "hot" and which don't. I cook accordingly.

> As a long time electric oven/range user, I agree with this post. You get
> to know your appliances and you adapt to them. They don't all cook the
> same.

Shall we call this a +1? <giggling>

It's true, you have to learn and adapt to the quirks of the stove. I'm
not sure what the OP's problem is.

Jill

Cheryl[_3_] 10-08-2013 08:33 AM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 5:38 PM, Mark Curry wrote:

> Funny related story - we've always had gas cooktops at our home.
> Summer vacation this year, we stayed in a cabin with a small electric
> stovetop. Early the first morning there, the 15 year comes into
> the bedroom asking where the lighter is so he can make breakfast.
>
> Half asleep, I mumble "picnic basket". A few moments later,
> "I can't get it to light." I wake a bit more, realize what's happening
> and go and explain to him how the electric cooktop works...
>
> --Mark
> <regular lurker...>

Kids are such creatures of habit. Funny story indeed. Welcome lurker
Mark. :)

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

dsi1[_15_] 10-08-2013 08:34 AM

Cooking pads

On 8/9/2013 2:32 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> That's just silly... all cooking produces heat and water vapor, most
> foods are about 80% water... the amount of water produced from burning
> gas is inconsequential compared to that from cooking food. And living
> in the tropics it's humid all the time, cooking or not. And in the
> tropics most folks cook outdoors. I lived in the tropics, most folks
> cook with propane, electric isn't even readily available everywhere,
> many have refrigerators that operate with kerosene.

Are you aware that burning natural gas will produce water at a ratio of
1 to 2, which is a shitload of water? Obviously not. It ain't silly it's
just science, Billy. Ha ha, I knew about this when I was 15 years old
and you're still ignorant about the combustion of hydrocarbons. Feel
free to spread your falsehoods around - just don't try to make me a part
of it.