FoodBanter.com

-   -   Sloping countertops? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/425174-sloping-countertops.html)

[email protected] 06-08-2013 03:02 AM

Sloping countertops?

One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop (your basic Formica). A friend's MIL's farmhouse kitchen has a fabulous ceramic countertop that is all drainboard. Is there a way to order a conventional countertop that will drain into the sink?

I also notice this in public lavatories all the time. I would like to set something down on the countertop, but the whole blessed thing is wet.

Polly Esther[_2_] 06-08-2013 03:56 AM

Sloping countertops?

> wrote in message
One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop (your basic
Formica). A friend's MIL's farmhouse kitchen has a fabulous ceramic
countertop that is all drainboard. Is there a way to order a conventional
countertop that will drain into the sink?

I also notice this in public lavatories all the time. I would like to set
something down on the countertop, but the whole blessed thing is wet.>>

I looked to see if Elkay still made 'my' sink. Mine's about 10 years old,
still beautiful and the drainboards on both sides are such a joy. Having a
place to safely set wet drippy things whether rinsing a turkey or watering
the few houseplants I haven't killed or whatever makes life easier. Since
the drainboards slope, it's not even a big deal if Mr. Esther decides to
refill the sugar bowl. Just a swipe into the sink and all the spills go
away. Mine's a flat mount but this one will give you the general idea. Polly
http://www.elkayusa.com/cps/rde/xchg...-res-9307.aspx

Julie Bove[_2_] 06-08-2013 04:35 AM

Sloping countertops?

wrote:
> One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop
> (your basic Formica). A friend's MIL's farmhouse kitchen has a
> fabulous ceramic countertop that is all drainboard. Is there a way to
> order a conventional countertop that will drain into the sink?
>
> I also notice this in public lavatories all the time. I would like to
> set something down on the countertop, but the whole blessed thing is
> wet.

How in the world is it getting like that? My countertops are never like
that! I can get excess water at the edges to the sink. Particularly the
front edge. I am notorious for that and often after I do dishes, I have a
wet line on the front of my shirt. I now just use a paper towel and sop it
up when I see it.

As for drainin into the sink, there is no way mine could ever do that
because the edges of the sink are raised. My parents have a recessed sink
but it has a metal edge around it. Is there a sink that is totally
recessed?

Julie Bove[_2_] 06-08-2013 04:37 AM

Sloping countertops?

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 19:02:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop
>> (your basic Formica). A friend's MIL's farmhouse kitchen has a
>> fabulous ceramic countertop that is all drainboard. Is there a way
>> to order a conventional countertop that will drain into the sink?

> I'll state the obvious: Why not just wipe up the puddles as they
> happen? The only puddles I usually get are on my cutting and drain
> boards (under the dish rack). And both of those drain into the sink
> (albeit manually when I lift them up and tip them to wash them).
>
> It would bug the shit out of me if every time I set a tomato, orange,
> or carrot on the counter, that it rolls away or otherwise into a
> position other than where I strategically set it.
>
> The countertop material and how clean it is would determine how
> much/little of a slope is needed for it to drain properly. Laminate
> countertops, for example, are usually a slight matte finish. It would
> take a somewhat drastic slope for them to drain puddles off to the
> side.
>
>> I also notice this in public lavatories all the time. I would like
>> to set something down on the countertop, but the whole blessed
>> thing is wet.

> I've only ever seen these at Walmart. And those are pretty drastic.

Our Walmart doesn't have a counter. It's a trough style sink. But I have
seen the wet puddles at lots of other places, including the movie theater.
And every time I see that I wonder how it gets like that!? My bathroom
counter never has puddles.

Mary Sqwertoff 06-08-2013 04:53 AM

Sloping countertops?

Sqwertz wrote:
> I'll state the obvious: Why not just wipe up the puddles as they
> happen?

Is that what ya do when yer Mayo-filled needle dick leaks?

Ed Pawlowski 06-08-2013 11:07 AM

Sloping countertops?

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 22:22:02 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>I'll state the obvious: Why not just wipe up the puddles as they
>happen? The only puddles I usually get are on my cutting and drain
>boards (under the dish rack). And both of those drain into the sink
>(albeit manually when I lift them up and tip them to wash them).
>
>It would bug the shit out of me if every time I set a tomato, orange,
>or carrot on the counter, that it rolls away or otherwise into a
>position other than where I strategically set it.
>
>The countertop material and how clean it is would determine how
>much/little of a slope is needed for it to drain properly. Laminate
>countertops, for example, are usually a slight matte finish. It would
>take a somewhat drastic slope for them to drain puddles off to the
>side.

The sinks with drainboards are not quite like that. Very little slop
so things don't roll around Unlike a regular counter, the front and
back have a lip to prevent spills from getting all over the place and
on the floor.

brooklyn1 06-08-2013 02:07 PM

Sloping countertops?

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 19:02:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop (your basic Formica).
>A friend's MIL's farmhouse kitchen has a fabulous ceramic countertop that is all drainboard.
>Is there a way to order a conventional countertop that will drain into the sink?
>
>I also notice this in public lavatories all the time. I would like to set something down
>on the countertop, but the whole blessed thing is wet.

Did you ever consider that perhaps your wife treats the kitchen like a
public lavatory... it's not difficult to wipe up spills... and just
maybe she needs to work neater and not do so much spilling.

My first house had a very heavy commercial stainless steel sink with
integrel slopping drain boards extending 4' on each side of the double
sink... was all one piece, no seams... but still wet spots needed to
be wiped up, only major spills ran into the sink. I really hated that
sink because the drainboard portions were corrogated and made for a
lousey countertop work surface, looked more like it belonged in an
autopsy lab than in a residential kitchen. It was a small house and
those drainboards were the only countertops in the kitchen. I suppose
I could have redone the entire kitchen but never got around to it and
the cabinets were very nice custom wooden retro, I lived with it for
fourteen years. People who visited loved that sink but I hated it.

sf[_9_] 06-08-2013 02:31 PM

Sloping countertops?

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 19:02:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

> One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop (your basic Formica). A friend's MIL's farmhouse kitchen has a fabulous ceramic countertop that is all drainboard. Is there a way to order a conventional countertop that will drain into the sink?
>
> I also notice this in public lavatories all the time. I would like to set something down on the countertop, but the whole blessed thing is wet.

Not sure why those puddles are there, is she draining dishes there
without a mat? You can buy those thick cloth dish drying mats just
about anywhere these days, but I prefer to use bar mats.

Janet Bostwick 06-08-2013 02:50 PM

Sloping countertops?

wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 19:02:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop
>> (your basic Formica). A friend's MIL's farmhouse kitchen has a
>> fabulous ceramic countertop that is all drainboard. Is there a way
>> to order a conventional countertop that will drain into the sink?

>I'll state the obvious: Why not just wipe up the puddles as they
>happen? The only puddles I usually get are on my cutting and drain
>boards (under the dish rack). And both of those drain into the sink
>(albeit manually when I lift them up and tip them to wash them).
>
>It would bug the shit out of me if every time I set a tomato, orange,
>or carrot on the counter, that it rolls away or otherwise into a
>position other than where I strategically set it.

snip

>-sw

what he said
Janet US

Ed Pawlowski 06-08-2013 03:08 PM

Sloping countertops?

On 8/5/2013 11:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Is there a sink that is totally
> recessed?

Yes, under mount sinks.

Nancy2[_2_] 06-08-2013 03:10 PM

Sloping countertops?

A slight bump at the front of a counter is called "bull nose" ... Any sink material (I think) can be shaped like that.

And for Julie ... Of course, there are under mount sinks available everywhere...they are more expensive than sinks that mount in traditional ways.

N.

Julie Bove[_2_] 06-08-2013 03:51 PM

Sloping countertops?

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
>A slight bump at the front of a counter is called "bull nose" ... Any sink
>material (I think) can be shaped like that.
>
> And for Julie ... Of course, there are under mount sinks available
> everywhere...they are more expensive than sinks that mount in traditional
> ways.

Okay.

Dave Smith[_1_] 06-08-2013 03:53 PM

Sloping countertops?

On 06/08/2013 9:31 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 19:02:03 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
>
>> One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop (your basic Formica). A friend's MIL's farmhouse kitchen has a fabulous ceramic countertop that is all drainboard. Is there a way to order a conventional countertop that will drain into the sink?
>>
>> I also notice this in public lavatories all the time. I would like to set something down on the countertop, but the whole blessed thing is wet.

> Not sure why those puddles are there, is she draining dishes there
> without a mat? You can buy those thick cloth dish drying mats just
> about anywhere these days, but I prefer to use bar mats.

On a related note.... my brother and his wife remodelled their bathroom
a few years ago. SiL, in consultation with her friend who apparently has
exquisite taste, select a rectangular sink with a flat bottom. What a
useless design for a sink. It must be one of those "for company" sinks
that you aren't supposed to wash in if you hands are dirty because the
dirt does not drain. It just sort of sits there while the water sort of
flows toward the drain. Sinks should be sloped.

Polly Esther[_2_] 06-08-2013 04:11 PM

Sloping countertops?

"Dave Smith" <> On a related note.... my brother and his wife remodelled
their bathroom
> a few years ago. SiL, in consultation with her friend who apparently has
> exquisite taste, select a rectangular sink with a flat bottom. What a
> useless design for a sink. It must be one of those "for company" sinks
> that you aren't supposed to wash in if you hands are dirty because the
> dirt does not drain. It just sort of sits there while the water sort of
> flows toward the drain. Sinks should be sloped.

That one's tricky. A sink that is too sloped will aggravate you. We have one
in the little kitchen that is so very rounded that it is impossible to stand
a glass or anything with a flat bottom without it toppling over. Another
one of those "What were they thinking?" Polly

Dave Smith[_1_] 06-08-2013 07:05 PM

Sloping countertops?

On 06/08/2013 11:11 AM, Polly Esther wrote:

> "Dave Smith" <> On a related note.... my brother and his wife remodelled
> their bathroom
>> a few years ago. SiL, in consultation with her friend who apparently
>> has exquisite taste, select a rectangular sink with a flat bottom.
>> What a useless design for a sink. It must be one of those "for
>> company" sinks that you aren't supposed to wash in if you hands are
>> dirty because the dirt does not drain. It just sort of sits there
>> while the water sort of flows toward the drain. Sinks should be sloped.

> That one's tricky. A sink that is too sloped will aggravate you. We have
> one in the little kitchen that is so very rounded that it is impossible
> to stand a glass or anything with a flat bottom without it toppling
> over. Another one of those "What were they thinking?" Polly

I can see that. This one was a bathroom sink. If there is any
significant amount of dirt it just sits there while the water drains
past it, not enough slope to take the dirt with it. Kitchen sinks are
generally sloped just enough to allow the dirt to flow with the water,
but flat enough to stand things up in.

Gary 06-08-2013 08:43 PM

Sloping countertops?

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> spamtrap wrote:
> >One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop (your basic Formica).

> ... it's not difficult to wipe up spills...

Exactly. I always wipe my countertop after each use so to have a nice
clean and dry one ready for the next use. You don't need a slanted
countertop, just wipe the thing off.

G.

Gary 06-08-2013 09:02 PM

Sloping countertops?

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 8/5/2013 11:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>

> > Is there a sink that is totally
> > recessed?
> >

> Yes, under mount sinks.

From what I've seen, they seem to be common with granite countertops.

G.

Kalmia 06-08-2013 10:29 PM

Sloping countertops?

On Monday, August 5, 2013 10:02:03 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop (your basic Formica). A friend's MIL's farmhouse kitchen has a fabulous ceramic countertop that is all drainboard. Is there a way to order a conventional countertop that will drain into the sink?
>

> I also notice this in public lavatories all the time. I would like to set something down on the countertop, but the whole blessed thing is wet.

Gee, just keep some towels handy and be careful about spills.

I hate sloping counters. My stove top is about a degree off and I can always tell, as oil runs to one side of a skillet, given enough time.

I always lay an egg on a towel to prevent its rolling onto the floor, even if I'm planning to break it within a minute.

As to public restrooms, ppl just don't wipe after themselves. Hence, a shoulder bag is a better purse choice for this reason among others. ALSO, if builders would not put the towel dispenser half way to Peru, there would be less water flung around.

Kalmia 06-08-2013 10:36 PM

Sloping countertops?

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 11:11:28 AM UTC-4, Polly Esther wrote:
> "Dave Smith" <> On a related note.... my brother and his wife remodelled
>
> their bathroom
>
> > a few years ago. SiL, in consultation with her friend who apparently has

> > exquisite taste, select a rectangular sink with a flat bottom. What a

> > useless design for a sink. It must be one of those "for company" sinks

> > that you aren't supposed to wash in if you hands are dirty because the

> > dirt does not drain. It just sort of sits there while the water sort of

> > flows toward the drain. Sinks should be sloped.

> That one's tricky. A sink that is too sloped will aggravate you. We have one
>
> in the little kitchen that is so very rounded that it is impossible to stand
>
> a glass or anything with a flat bottom without it toppling over. Another
>
> one of those "What were they thinking?" Polly

Plant your round cake cooling rack there and see if that helps. I stick my square one in the sink at times cuz my mixing bowls love to tip when I'm trying to use em to soak tools.

James Silverton[_4_] 06-08-2013 10:41 PM

Sloping countertops?

On 8/6/2013 3:43 PM, Gary wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> spamtrap wrote:
>>> One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop (your basic Formica).

>> ... it's not difficult to wipe up spills...

> Exactly. I always wipe my countertop after each use so to have a nice
> clean and dry one ready for the next use. You don't need a slanted
> countertop, just wipe the thing off.
>
> G.

You've got to be thorough about wiping where the countertop meets the sinnk.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Julie Bove[_2_] 06-08-2013 11:11 PM

Sloping countertops?

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> I can see that. This one was a bathroom sink. If there is any
> significant amount of dirt it just sits there while the water drains past
> it, not enough slope to take the dirt with it. Kitchen sinks are
> generally sloped just enough to allow the dirt to flow with the water, but
> flat enough to stand things up in.

My SIL had a bad sink in her cabin bathroom. It was one of those cheap
vanities with the built in top. It sloped upwards where the drain hole was.
So not only did the dirt sit there, but if you wanted it to go down, you had
to push it down with your hands. She even asked me to do this! I was
like... Uh. No. I'll just use the kitchen sink.

Gary 06-08-2013 11:19 PM

Sloping countertops?

James Silverton wrote:

> On 8/6/2013 3:43 PM, Gary wrote:
> > Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> ... it's not difficult to wipe up spills...

> > Exactly. I always wipe my countertop after each use so to have a nice
> > clean and dry one ready for the next use. You don't need a slanted
> > countertop, just wipe the thing off.
> >
> > G.
> >

> You've got to be thorough about wiping where the countertop meets the sinnk.

Especially on my countertop. My sink sits above the counter and the
edges can catch food and whatever if you don't wipe it carefully.

G.

Cheri[_3_] 07-08-2013 12:19 AM

Sloping countertops?

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> spamtrap wrote:
>> >One thing that drives my wife crazy is puddles on the countertop (your
>> >basic Formica).

>> ... it's not difficult to wipe up spills...

> Exactly. I always wipe my countertop after each use so to have a nice
> clean and dry one ready for the next use. You don't need a slanted
> countertop, just wipe the thing off.
>
> G.

I can't really imagine not wiping it down after each use. That would drive
me crazy. :-)

Cheri

[email protected] 07-08-2013 12:54 AM

Sloping countertops?

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:19:59 PM UTC-7, Cheri wrote:

> I can't really imagine not wiping it down after each use. That would drive
> me crazy. :-)

This happens even though we're not using the countertop, just the sink.

Nancy2[_2_] 07-08-2013 01:36 AM

Sloping countertops?

That's my main use for those Clorox wipes, since the edge of my sink is above the counter. I liked my old, flat, metal-edged/trimmed sinks the best, but they don't make those anymore. I don't like undermount because I always imagine that all kinds of nasty stuff lurks inside the sink under the edge. Yeah, I know, that's probably silly.

N.

Cheryl[_3_] 08-08-2013 01:10 AM

Sloping countertops?

On 8/6/2013 4:02 PM, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> On 8/5/2013 11:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>>> Is there a sink that is totally
>>> recessed?
>>>

>> Yes, under mount sinks.

> From what I've seen, they seem to be common with granite countertops.
>
> G.

My mom got an under-mount sink with her new formica.

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.

Polly Esther[_2_] 08-08-2013 04:39 AM

Sloping countertops?

"Cheryl" < My mom got an under-mount sink with her new formica.

It crosses my mind that the owners of under-mount sinks won't see or think
about the need to bleach/scrub the area where the sink/counter meet. Not a
big deal for iron stomach systems but could be troublesome for the elderly.
I are elderly. Polly

sf[_9_] 08-08-2013 05:53 AM

Sloping countertops?

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 17:36:31 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> That's my main use for those Clorox wipes, since the edge of my sink is above the counter. I liked my old, flat, metal-edged/trimmed sinks the best, but they don't make those anymore. I don't like undermount because I always imagine that all kinds of nasty stuff lurks inside the sink under the edge. Yeah, I know, that's probably silly.

When mine was installed I wasn't happy about the idea of an
under-mount gap and the installers actually preempted my thoughts.
They assured me that they would fill the gap - so far there has been
no problem with it. Hope that keeps up!

Jean B.[_1_] 11-08-2013 03:56 AM

Sloping countertops?

Cheri wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> (your >basic Formica).
>>>
>>> ... it's not difficult to wipe up spills...

>> Exactly. I always wipe my countertop after each use so to have a nice
>> clean and dry one ready for the next use. You don't need a slanted
>> countertop, just wipe the thing off.
>>
>> G.

> I can't really imagine not wiping it down after each use. That would
> drive me crazy. :-)
>
> Cheri

I can't imagine NOT doing it.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.[_1_] 11-08-2013 03:57 AM

Sloping countertops?

Nancy2 wrote:
> That's my main use for those Clorox wipes, since the edge of my
> sink is above the counter. I liked my old, flat,
> metal-edged/trimmed sinks the best, but they don't make those
> anymore. I don't like undermount because I always imagine that
> all kinds of nasty stuff lurks inside the sink under the edge.
> Yeah, I know, that's probably silly.
>
> N.

I had that thought too, but I see no evidence of it.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.[_1_] 11-08-2013 03:58 AM

Sloping countertops?

Nancy2 wrote:
> That's my main use for those Clorox wipes, since the edge of my sink is above the counter. I liked my old, flat, metal-edged/trimmed sinks the best, but they don't make those anymore. I don't like undermount because I always imagine that all kinds of nasty stuff lurks inside the sink under the edge. Yeah, I know, that's probably silly.
>
> N.

Oh, I should add that I am very careful about not slobbing up the
top of the sink. Also, this sink is very deep.

--
Jean B.

sf[_9_] 11-08-2013 07:13 AM

Sloping countertops?

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 22:57:52 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Nancy2 wrote:
> > That's my main use for those Clorox wipes, since the edge of my
> > sink is above the counter. I liked my old, flat,
> > metal-edged/trimmed sinks the best, but they don't make those
> > anymore. I don't like undermount because I always imagine that
> > all kinds of nasty stuff lurks inside the sink under the edge.
> > Yeah, I know, that's probably silly.
> >
> > N.

> I had that thought too, but I see no evidence of it.

Mine either... and it's been 4 or 5 years by now, so something nasty
should be happening if it's ever going to and I take the dish brush to
the seam so it would bring up the nasties if they were there. IMO,
maintenance is no worse with an under-mount than an over mount is.

I thought the look of an over-mount would drive me right up the wall
but I liked it from day #1 - maybe it's because I love my granite so
much.