Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ah. Champagne!

Or as Smithsonion Magazine calls it, a wine "accident". Fun reading!

http://tinyurl.com/kmfud8s

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2013 8:54 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Or as Smithsonion Magazine calls it, a wine "accident". Fun reading!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/kmfud8s
>
> Jill

Modern Marvels had an episode about wine. A bottle of champagne can
make 40 million bubbles. Brits were the biggest drinkers of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 8/4/2013 8:54 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Or as Smithsonion Magazine calls it, a wine "accident". Fun reading!
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/kmfud8s
>>
>> Jill

> Modern Marvels had an episode about wine. A bottle of champagne can
> make 40 million bubbles. Brits were the biggest drinkers of it.

As a result of my recent trip to prosecco country I realize that the
less fizzy 'frizzante' prosecco suits my preference for a light, crisp,
refreshing beverage. Kind of like a really good dry hard apple cider.
For me champagne is just too fizzy - I feel like white water rapids are
flowing over my palate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
jmcquown > wrote:

> Or as Smithsonion Magazine calls it, a wine "accident". Fun reading!
>
> http://tinyurl.com/kmfud8s

Champagne goes with everything.

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/08/2013 4:36 AM, Michael Press wrote:
> In article >,
> jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Or as Smithsonion Magazine calls it, a wine "accident". Fun reading!
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/kmfud8s

> Champagne goes with everything.

That is what I thought until we had a a champagne breakfast. It does not
go well with eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-08-05, Dave Smith > wrote:

> That is what I thought until we had a a champagne breakfast. It does not
> go well with eggs.

Try eggs Benedict.

I love a good Champagne, but it's gotta be French. The world,
particularly CA, NZ, and Oz passed France, long ago. But, when
it comes to Champagne, France still holds the winning hand. Even
French brands that have opened wineries in the New World (Napa CA), still
can't touch their home offerings.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 01:36:50 -0700, Michael Press >
wrote:

>In article >,
> jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Or as Smithsonion Magazine calls it, a wine "accident". Fun reading!
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/kmfud8s

>Champagne goes with everything.

As does beer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> A small pinch of baking soda will take away much of the fizz

You make Mayo fizz?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-08-05, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> That is what I thought until we had a a champagne breakfast. It does not
>> go well with eggs.

> Try eggs Benedict.
>
> I love a good Champagne, but it's gotta be French. The world,
> particularly CA, NZ, and Oz passed France, long ago. But, when
> it comes to Champagne, France still holds the winning hand. Even
> French brands that have opened wineries in the New World (Napa CA), still
> can't touch their home offerings.

But I think they are getting better and better. If you haven't recently,
you might try DVX (Mumms), Roederer Estate L'Ermitage
(Louis Roederer) or J Sparkling Wine (J Vineyards and Winery, a
California original once bottled by Jordan Winery.)

I don't love any of the others, Schramsberg included, but these
three will stand on their own against any standard French
Champagnes.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2013-08-05, Dave Smith > wrote:
>>
>>> That is what I thought until we had a a champagne breakfast. It does not
>>> go well with eggs.

>> Try eggs Benedict.
>>
>> I love a good Champagne, but it's gotta be French. The world,
>> particularly CA, NZ, and Oz passed France, long ago. But, when
>> it comes to Champagne, France still holds the winning hand. Even
>> French brands that have opened wineries in the New World (Napa CA), still
>> can't touch their home offerings.

> But I think they are getting better and better. If you haven't recently,
> you might try DVX (Mumms), Roederer Estate L'Ermitage
> (Louis Roederer) or J Sparkling Wine (J Vineyards and Winery, a
> California original once bottled by Jordan Winery.)
>
> I don't love any of the others, Schramsberg included, but these
> three will stand on their own against any standard French
> Champagnes.

I gravitate to French. Moet, Mumms, Veuve Clicquot. Not in that order. It
really is better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Michael Press wrote:
> >Champagne goes with everything.

> As does beer.

Drinking alcoholic beverages along with food is the very best example
of TIAD, imo. They are two different activities best kept separate.
Eat some steamed crab and wash it down with beer? Oh YUK! Dine on
fine food and sip on wine occasionally? Double YUK!

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> Michael Press wrote:
>> >Champagne goes with everything.

>> As does beer.

> Drinking alcoholic beverages along with food is the very best example
> of TIAD, imo. They are two different activities best kept separate.
> Eat some steamed crab and wash it down with beer? Oh YUK! Dine on
> fine food and sip on wine occasionally? Double YUK!

So beer and hot dogs is a yuck? If you want the perfect match for
champagne, try Blinis Davidoff. It is a luxury you will never forget. And
the better the champagne and the better the caviar the more luxurious it is.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> As does beer.

> > Drinking alcoholic beverages along with food is the very best example
> > of TIAD, imo. They are two different activities best kept separate.
> > Eat some steamed crab and wash it down with beer? Oh YUK! Dine on
> > fine food and sip on wine occasionally? Double YUK!

> So beer and hot dogs is a yuck?

Certainly! I eat hot dogs occasionally. I would never be drinking
beer with them though. YUK!

In the case of a social cookout, I'll drink a few beers and socialize
with others. Once I start with the food, I'll switch to water or soda.
More beer? noway@

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> "Paul M. Cook" wrote:

>> > Drinking alcoholic beverages along with food is the very best example
>> > of TIAD, imo. They are two different activities best kept separate.
>> > Eat some steamed crab and wash it down with beer? Oh YUK! Dine on
>> > fine food and sip on wine occasionally? Double YUK!

>> So beer and hot dogs is a yuck?

> Certainly! I eat hot dogs occasionally. I would never be drinking
> beer with them though. YUK!
>
> In the case of a social cookout, I'll drink a few beers and socialize
> with others. Once I start with the food, I'll switch to water or soda.
> More beer? noway@

me thinks legs are being pulled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 5, 2013 7:23:18 AM UTC-6, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-08-05, Dave Smith > wrote:
>

> > That is what I thought until we had a a champagne breakfast. It does not

> > go well with eggs.

> Try eggs Benedict.
>

> I love a good Champagne, but it's gotta be French. The world,
>
> particularly CA, NZ, and Oz passed France, long ago. But, when
>
> it comes to Champagne, France still holds the winning hand. Even
>
> French brands that have opened wineries in the New World (Napa CA), still
>
> can't touch their home offerings.
>

> nb

We have discovered a French sparking wine that is excellent. It is Marquis de la Tour. It is as good as good as any middle priced Champagne, but the price is very low. We really enjoy it.

Dale P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 13:57:36 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> Michael Press wrote:
>> >Champagne goes with everything.

>> As does beer.

>Drinking alcoholic beverages along with food is the very best example
>of TIAD, imo. They are two different activities best kept separate.
>Eat some steamed crab and wash it down with beer? Oh YUK! Dine on
>fine food and sip on wine occasionally? Double YUK!
>
>G.

You haven't lived until you've dined on meat loaf washed down with
Mogen David concord grape n' siphon seltza spritzers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 11:29:27 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...

>>> So beer and hot dogs is a yuck?

>> Certainly! I eat hot dogs occasionally. I would never be drinking
>> beer with them though. YUK!
>>
>> In the case of a social cookout, I'll drink a few beers and socialize
>> with others. Once I start with the food, I'll switch to water or soda.
>> More beer? noway@
>>

>me thinks legs are being pulled.

Soda with hotdogs is yuk... I can't imagine a good tube steak with a
grape NEHI... 'bout the only soda goes with dawgs is a Dr. Brown's
Cel-Ray.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 11:29:27 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
> wrote:

>>> Certainly! I eat hot dogs occasionally. I would never be drinking
>>> beer with them though. YUK!
>>>
>>> In the case of a social cookout, I'll drink a few beers and socialize
>>> with others. Once I start with the food, I'll switch to water or soda.
>>> More beer? noway@
>>>

>>me thinks legs are being pulled.

> Soda with hotdogs is yuk... I can't imagine a good tube steak with a
> grape NEHI... 'bout the only soda goes with dawgs is a Dr. Brown's
> Cel-Ray.

Cel-Ray is milk from the Gods.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 05/08/2013 21:05, dalep ha scritto:

> We have discovered a French sparking wine that is excellent. It is Marquis de la Tour. It is as good as good as any middle priced Champagne, but the price is very low. We really enjoy it.

Also Cremant D'Alsace is a nice and not expensive french bubbler.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 05/08/2013 19:57, Gary ha scritto:

> Drinking alcoholic beverages along with food is the very best example
> of TIAD, imo.

So you think that the all research and literature regarding wine-food
pairing is an example of TIAD. Seriuos case of TIAD noted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 11:29:27 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
>> wrote:

>>>me thinks legs are being pulled.

>> Soda with hotdogs is yuk... I can't imagine a good tube steak with a
>> grape NEHI... 'bout the only soda goes with dawgs is a Dr. Brown's
>> Cel-Ray.

> Cel-Ray is milk from the Gods.

I thought milk was milk from the gods.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ViLco wrote:
>Gary ha scritto:
>
>> Drinking alcoholic beverages along with food is the very best example
>> of TIAD, imo.

>So you think that the all research and literature regarding wine-food
>pairing is an example of TIAD. Seriuos case of TIAD noted.

In Italy prohibiting eating pizza with a nice dago red is a hanging
offence.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 12:54:25 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"pavane" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message

>>> Soda with hotdogs is yuk... I can't imagine a good tube steak with a
>>> grape NEHI... 'bout the only soda goes with dawgs is a Dr. Brown's
>>> Cel-Ray.

>> Cel-Ray is milk from the Gods.

>I thought milk was milk from the gods.

Only when it's on tap, right and/or left.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/08/2013 3:29 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Soda with hotdogs is yuk... I can't imagine a good tube steak with a
> grape NEHI... 'bout the only soda goes with dawgs is a Dr. Brown's
> Cel-Ray.

I have never been much of a cola drinker, but I crave it when I eat hot
dogs, which I don't do often.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/08/2013 9:23 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-08-05, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> That is what I thought until we had a a champagne breakfast. It does not
>> go well with eggs.

> Try eggs Benedict.
>
> I love a good Champagne, but it's gotta be French. The world,
> particularly CA, NZ, and Oz passed France, long ago. But, when
> it comes to Champagne, France still holds the winning hand. Even
> French brands that have opened wineries in the New World (Napa CA), still
> can't touch their home offerings.

There are cheap imitations. One of these days I have to open up the
bottle of cheap Hungarian champagne I got last year. We picked up after
reading a newspaper column about the results of a blind champagne
tasting. It was one of the favourites at the event. I can get locally
made champagne for $20-25, or that Spanish stuff for about $12. French
champagnes here start at about $40. It really is a lot better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Sunday, August 4, 2013 5:54:57 PM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:

My all time favorite champagne is Charles Heidsieck. My favorite favorite favorite is his Champagne Charlie.

I think you can find a 1985 vintage for around $400 a bottle now. I don't think they've made the Champagne Charlie for years now. Boy was it good.

Champagne goes with anything and everything. Best just sitting under a shade tree, sipping, with a breeze blowing.

You can get the everyday vintage Piper Heidsieck for about $40 a bottle these days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-08-05, Paul M. Cook > wrote:

> I gravitate to French. Moet, Mumms, Veuve Clicquot. Not in that order. It
> really is better.

Yep. OTOH, I've not tasted the Napa Mumms in over five yrs. Maybe
they are getting better, but they weren't even close, back then.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-08-05, Dave Smith > wrote:

> I have never been much of a cola drinker, but I crave it when I eat hot
> dogs, which I don't do often.

I can relate, Dave. I'm a beer lover from way back, but pizza demands
a cola. Prob is, both Pepsi and CC suck --as corporate citizens-- and
I will no longer drink 'em. Rooty beer will hafta do.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2013-08-05, Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>>
>> I gravitate to French. Moet, Mumms, Veuve Clicquot. Not in that order.
>> It
>> really is better.

> Yep. OTOH, I've not tasted the Napa Mumms in over five yrs. Maybe
> they are getting better, but they weren't even close, back then.

They are all good. Napa Mumms is very good. As is Domain Chandon. But
French is better. I am quite happy drinking Korbel and Schramsberg but when
I want the good stuff I buy French.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-08-05, Dave Smith > wrote:

> made champagne for $20-25, or that Spanish stuff for about $12. French
> champagnes here start at about $40. It really is a lot better.

Yep. Back when I was jes a hack, almost every resto in CA served
Franzia Almond Champagne for Sunday brunches. Didn't matter if it was
a Mexican chain, an independent, or a pretty good bistro ....FA
sham-pog-nee! It was the gold standard fer CA Sun brunches. The no
longer make it. More's the pity.

Later, my tastes stepped up. Finally, I settled on the perfect New
Years Eve meal: Fresh Dungeness crab, SF sourdough bread w/ real
butter, and Fr Champagne. I haven't had it since I left CA 5 yrs ago.
Maybe this yr.

As for the eggs Benedict, the best I ever ate was EB made with real
Hollandaise and D-crab instead of pork. I'll never understand how
that Thai resto went out of business. 8|

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> "pavane" > wrote in message

> >> Try eggs Benedict.
> >>
> >> I love a good Champagne, but it's gotta be French. The world,
> >> particularly CA, NZ, and Oz passed France, long ago. But, when
> >> it comes to Champagne, France still holds the winning hand. Even
> >> French brands that have opened wineries in the New World (Napa CA), still
> >> can't touch their home offerings.

> > But I think they are getting better and better. If you haven't recently,
> > you might try DVX (Mumms), Roederer Estate L'Ermitage
> > (Louis Roederer) or J Sparkling Wine (J Vineyards and Winery, a
> > California original once bottled by Jordan Winery.)
> >
> > I don't love any of the others, Schramsberg included, but these
> > three will stand on their own against any standard French
> > Champagnes.

> I gravitate to French.

So do I.

> Moet, Mumms, Veuve Clicquot. Not in that order. It
> really is better.

Yes. I go to a shop that stocks only small producers and
the names are not familiar to me; though some are starting
to stick. Pierre Peters, Fiacre, Pierre Gimonnet, Jaques Lassaigne,
Henri Billiot Fils, Jacquesson, Rene Geoffroy, Henri Goutorbe,
Vilmart & Cie, A. Margaine, Marc Hebrart, Ulysse Collin.
I am able to make a list because I keep the metal caps.

I love watching _Absolutely Fabulous_ if only because
Edina has refrigerators filled with champas and they are
always cracking another Bolly.

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
notbob > wrote:

> On 2013-08-05, Dave Smith > wrote:
>
> > made champagne for $20-25, or that Spanish stuff for about $12. French
> > champagnes here start at about $40. It really is a lot better.

> Yep. Back when I was jes a hack, almost every resto in CA served
> Franzia Almond Champagne for Sunday brunches. Didn't matter if it was
> a Mexican chain, an independent, or a pretty good bistro ....FA
> sham-pog-nee! It was the gold standard fer CA Sun brunches. The no
> longer make it. More's the pity.
>
> Later, my tastes stepped up. Finally, I settled on the perfect New
> Years Eve meal: Fresh Dungeness crab, SF sourdough bread w/ real
> butter, and Fr Champagne. I haven't had it since I left CA 5 yrs ago.
> Maybe this yr.
>
> As for the eggs Benedict, the best I ever ate was EB made with real
> Hollandaise and D-crab instead of pork. I'll never understand how
> that Thai resto went out of business. 8|

Now I have to make eggs benedict served with champagne.
Is it okay to put it on regular toasted bread?

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/5/13 4:38 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

> You can get the everyday vintage Piper Heidsieck for about $40 a bottle these days.

And you can buy Gruet Blanc de Noirs, made in Albuquerque New Mexico by
the Gruet family from Champagne, for 15-17 per bottle, and it will knock
your socks off. 8

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/08/2013 8:21 PM, barbie gee wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Aug 2013, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> On 05/08/2013 4:36 AM, Michael Press wrote:

>>> Champagne goes with everything.
>>>

>> That is what I thought until we had a a champagne breakfast. It does
>> not go well with eggs.

> that's why they invented the Mimosa.

Why waste good champagne by mixing it with orange juice. Use soda water
instead, or drink Orangina.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> I need to do some traveling to heal what ails me. Y'all know my
> cluemail address if you want some support, abuse, or vibes.
> Otherwise post here and get my usual guarantee.
>
> Ciao. Chow.
>
> -sw

Ciao.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> Mixing alcohol with food in the stomach is also horrible for
> digestion.

TNX fer the alky perspective.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Press wrote:
> In article >,
> notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2013-08-05, Dave Smith > wrote:
>>
>> > made champagne for $20-25, or that Spanish stuff for about $12. French
>> > champagnes here start at about $40. It really is a lot better.

>> Yep. Back when I was jes a hack, almost every resto in CA served
>> Franzia Almond Champagne for Sunday brunches. Didn't matter if it was
>> a Mexican chain, an independent, or a pretty good bistro ....FA
>> sham-pog-nee! It was the gold standard fer CA Sun brunches. The no
>> longer make it. More's the pity.
>>
>> Later, my tastes stepped up. Finally, I settled on the perfect New
>> Years Eve meal: Fresh Dungeness crab, SF sourdough bread w/ real
>> butter, and Fr Champagne. I haven't had it since I left CA 5 yrs ago.
>> Maybe this yr.
>>
>> As for the eggs Benedict, the best I ever ate was EB made with real
>> Hollandaise and D-crab instead of pork. I'll never understand how
>> that Thai resto went out of business. 8|

> Now I have to make eggs benedict served with champagne.
> Is it okay to put it on regular toasted bread?

don't let Andy's ghost hear you say that

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 13:57:36 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > Brooklyn1 wrote:

> >> As does beer.

> > Drinking alcoholic beverages along with food is the very best example
> > of TIAD, imo. They are two different activities best kept separate.
> > Eat some steamed crab and wash it down with beer? Oh YUK! Dine on
> > fine food and sip on wine occasionally? Double YUK!

> Mixing alcohol with food in the stomach is also horrible for
> digestion. I always drink just plain ice water with meals and save
> any alcohol for a half-hour before or an hour after eating.

Hindus do not drink anything with or after meals
because of concerns for digestion.
I will continue to drink wine with meals.

--
Michael Press
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 05/08/2013 8:21 PM, barbie gee wrote:

>>> That is what I thought until we had a a champagne breakfast. It does
>>> not go well with eggs.

>> that's why they invented the Mimosa.

> Why waste good champagne by mixing it with orange juice. Use soda water
> instead, or drink Orangina.

Cheap champagne works just fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 05:47:17 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> > On 05/08/2013 8:21 PM, barbie gee wrote:
> >>

> >> that's why they invented the Mimosa.

> > Why waste good champagne by mixing it with orange juice. Use soda water
> > instead, or drink Orangina.

> Cheap champagne works just fine.

Agreed... not that I like mimosas. I'd rather make champagne chicken
with cheap champagne.

Champagne! Steve Pope General Cooking 0 28-11-2009 06:57 PM
Champagne! cshenk General Cooking 0 28-11-2009 05:27 PM
Champagne Frank Mancuso Winemaking 8 01-12-2006 04:53 PM
NV Champagne - take 2 EMRinVT Wine 6 13-11-2004 11:33 PM
Does Champagne go bad? PRV8EYE Wine 56 29-10-2003 09:10 PM