Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default under ripe melon

Honeydew was on sale and I bought what I thought was a ripe one, but
it isn't. What do you usually do when that happens? I was thinking
maybe I should turn it into salad with a tangy dressing. Does that
sound like a reasonable approach?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

How firm is it. Grill slices on the bbq grill.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news

> Honeydew was on sale and I bought what I thought was a ripe one, but
> it isn't. What do you usually do when that happens? I was thinking
> maybe I should turn it into salad with a tangy dressing. Does that
> sound like a reasonable approach?

won't it ripen if you leave it sit?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 15:45:49 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Friday, August 2, 2013 11:32:02 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:
>
> How firm is it. Grill slices on the bbq grill.

I love that idea! It's pretty firm. I finally tasted it this
afternoon and I think it's sweet enough, but a little too firm so it
would grill up very well. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 15:51:23 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
> >
> > Honeydew was on sale and I bought what I thought was a ripe one, but
> > it isn't. What do you usually do when that happens? I was thinking
> > maybe I should turn it into salad with a tangy dressing. Does that
> > sound like a reasonable approach?
> >

> won't it ripen if you leave it sit?

Melons ripen more after they've been cut open? If they really do,
that's news to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> Honeydew was on sale and I bought what I thought was a ripe one, but
>> it isn't. What do you usually do when that happens? I was thinking
>> maybe I should turn it into salad with a tangy dressing. Does that
>> sound like a reasonable approach?
>>

>won't it ripen if you leave it sit?

Might ripen if sf sits on it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/2/2013 8:09 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 15:51:23 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> news
>>>
>>> Honeydew was on sale and I bought what I thought was a ripe one, but
>>> it isn't. What do you usually do when that happens? I was thinking
>>> maybe I should turn it into salad with a tangy dressing. Does that
>>> sound like a reasonable approach?
>>>

>> won't it ripen if you leave it sit?
>>

> Melons ripen more after they've been cut open? If they really do,
> that's news to me.

I'm going to try that with my latest purchase; it certainly can stand
some ripening.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 15:51:23 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> news
>> >
>> > Honeydew was on sale and I bought what I thought was a ripe one, but
>> > it isn't. What do you usually do when that happens? I was thinking
>> > maybe I should turn it into salad with a tangy dressing. Does that
>> > sound like a reasonable approach?
>> >

>> won't it ripen if you leave it sit?
>>

> Melons ripen more after they've been cut open? If they really do,
> that's news to me.

and I know that you have cut it open because I am a mind reader? And you
knew that because you are a mind reader?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 2, 2013 11:32:02 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> Honeydew was on sale and I bought what I thought was a ripe one, but
>
> it isn't. What do you usually do when that happens? I was thinking
>
> maybe I should turn it into salad with a tangy dressing. Does that
>
> sound like a reasonable approach?
>

> --
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

I sniff before I buy- no smell=no good...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Aug 2013 21:38:26 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 8/2/2013 8:09 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 15:51:23 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> "sf" > wrote in message
> >> news > >>>
> >>>

> >> won't it ripen if you leave it sit?
> >>

> > Melons ripen more after they've been cut open? If they really do,
> > that's news to me.
> >

> I'm going to try that with my latest purchase; it certainly can stand
> some ripening.

Have you cut it open? Mine was cut open.... I thought it was ripe.
It tastes just fine, but it's "too firm"... so I like the BBQ idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 20:49:09 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 15:51:23 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> "sf" > wrote in message
> >> news > >> >
> >> >

> >> won't it ripen if you leave it sit?
> >>

> > Melons ripen more after they've been cut open? If they really do,
> > that's news to me.

> and I know that you have cut it open because I am a mind reader? And you
> knew that because you are a mind reader?

Is your stupidity nature, nurture... or chemically induced?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 21:05:06 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

> On Friday, August 2, 2013 11:32:02 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> > Honeydew was on sale and I bought what I thought was a ripe one, but
> >
> > it isn't. What do you usually do when that happens? I was thinking
> >
> > maybe I should turn it into salad with a tangy dressing. Does that
> >
> > sound like a reasonable approach?
> >

> I sniff before I buy- no smell=no good...

It smelled fine and what's done is done. It tastes sweet, but it's
not as soft as I'd expect a fully ripe melon to be. I'm asking about
what to do now. If you don't know, then your input has no value.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 20:49:09 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > Melons ripen more after they've been cut open? If they really do,
>> > that's news to me.

>> and I know that you have cut it open because I am a mind reader? And you
>> knew that because you are a mind reader?
>>

> Is your stupidity nature, nurture... or chemically induced?

seems your foolishness has something to do with it, ya dope!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 21:05:06 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>
>> On Friday, August 2, 2013 11:32:02 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:
>> > Honeydew was on sale and I bought what I thought was a ripe one, but
>> >
>> > it isn't. What do you usually do when that happens? I was thinking
>> >
>> > maybe I should turn it into salad with a tangy dressing. Does that
>> >
>> > sound like a reasonable approach?
>> >

>> I sniff before I buy- no smell=no good...

> It smelled fine and what's done is done. It tastes sweet, but it's
> not as soft as I'd expect a fully ripe melon to be. I'm asking about
> what to do now. If you don't know, then your input has no value.

you should hire a melon tester, as you haven't a clue.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/08/2013 8:34 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 20:49:09 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
>> wrote:

>>> and I know that you have cut it open because I am a mind reader? And you
>>> knew that because you are a mind reader?
>>>

>> Is your stupidity nature, nurture... or chemically induced?

> seems your foolishness has something to do with it, ya dope!

She bought a melon and it turned out not to be ripe. Most people would
presume that she discovered that when she cut it open. Who would have
thought that every single step of the process had to be explained?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/08/2013 12:42 AM, sf wrote:

> It smelled fine and what's done is done. It tastes sweet, but it's
> not as soft as I'd expect a fully ripe melon to be. I'm asking about
> what to do now. If you don't know, then your input has no value.

Melons can be touch to judge. I usually look for one with a nice melon
smell. Sometimes they are great even when they don't smell all that
melony. Sometimes they smell great but turn out to be under ripe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 03/08/2013 8:34 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message

>>> Is your stupidity nature, nurture... or chemically induced?

>> seems your foolishness has something to do with it, ya dope!
>>

> She bought a melon and it turned out not to be ripe. Most people would
> presume that she discovered that when she cut it open. Who would have
> thought that every single step of the process had to be explained?

It was she that flew off the handle. I thought people could tell if a melon
was ripe before cutting into it. It is not unusual to buy a melon and have
it further ripen at home. I gave a valid response, and she went bat shit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/08/2013 12:05 AM, merryb wrote:
-

>> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> I sniff before I buy- no smell=no good...

I smell them too, but I have learned that it is not a guarantee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 05:51:42 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> >> seems your foolishness has something to do with it, ya dope!
> >>

> > She bought a melon and it turned out not to be ripe. Most people would
> > presume that she discovered that when she cut it open. Who would have
> > thought that every single step of the process had to be explained?

> It was she that flew off the handle. I thought people could tell if a melon
> was ripe before cutting into it. It is not unusual to buy a melon and have
> it further ripen at home. I gave a valid response, and she went bat shit.

LOL! You've lived a very sheltered life if that's all it takes to be
called bat shit. Stop acting like an idiot and I'll stop calling you
stupid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013 05:35:02 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 21:05:06 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> > wrote:

> >> I sniff before I buy- no smell=no good...

> > It smelled fine and what's done is done. It tastes sweet, but it's
> > not as soft as I'd expect a fully ripe melon to be. I'm asking about
> > what to do now. If you don't know, then your input has no value.

> you should hire a melon tester, as you haven't a clue.

Maybe you should do it, since you're such an expert.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 08:49:55 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 03/08/2013 12:42 AM, sf wrote:
>
> > It smelled fine and what's done is done. It tastes sweet, but it's
> > not as soft as I'd expect a fully ripe melon to be. I'm asking about
> > what to do now. If you don't know, then your input has no value.
> >

> Melons can be touch to judge. I usually look for one with a nice melon
> smell. Sometimes they are great even when they don't smell all that
> melony. Sometimes they smell great but turn out to be under ripe.

Exactly and thanks! I was just trying to figure out the next step.
This thread has been a great illustration about why any real talk
about cooking takes place elsewhere.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> I sniff before I buy- no smell=no good...

That's good to know. :-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> merryb wrote:
> > I sniff before I buy- no smell=no good...

> It smelled fine and what's done is done. It tastes sweet, but it's
> not as soft as I'd expect a fully ripe melon to be. I'm asking about
> what to do now. If you don't know, then your input has no value.

this response brought to you by rude sf.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/3/2013 10:29 AM, Gary wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>
>> merryb wrote:
>>> I sniff before I buy- no smell=no good...

>> It smelled fine and what's done is done. It tastes sweet, but it's
>> not as soft as I'd expect a fully ripe melon to be. I'm asking about
>> what to do now. If you don't know, then your input has no value.

> this response brought to you by rude sf.
>
> G.

I don't agree. She was asking about what to do with a melon she already
bought, not how to select a melon.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 10:39:08 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 8/3/2013 10:29 AM, Gary wrote:
> > sf wrote:

> >> It smelled fine and what's done is done. It tastes sweet, but it's
> >> not as soft as I'd expect a fully ripe melon to be. I'm asking about
> >> what to do now. If you don't know, then your input has no value.

> > this response brought to you by rude sf.
> >
> > G.
> >

> I don't agree. She was asking about what to do with a melon she already
> bought, not how to select a melon.

Thank you! It's amazing how much people want to pontificate about
anything except the point (mainly because they have nothing of any
value to say on the subject) and then get upset when their so called
advice isn't appreciated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 10:39:08 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>> > this response brought to you by rude sf.
>> >
>> > G.
>> >

>> I don't agree. She was asking about what to do with a melon she already
>> bought, not how to select a melon.
>>

> Thank you! It's amazing how much people want to pontificate about
> anything except the point (mainly because they have nothing of any
> value to say on the subject) and then get upset when their so called
> advice isn't appreciated.

"not appreciated" and "rude" are two different things altogether.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 10:39:08 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

> > > this response brought to you by rude sf.
> > >
> > > G.
> > >

> > I don't agree. She was asking about what to do with a melon she already
> > bought, not how to select a melon.
> >

> Thank you! It's amazing how much people want to pontificate about
> anything except the point (mainly because they have nothing of any
> value to say on the subject) and then get upset when their so called
> advice isn't appreciated.

And my point to both of you is that sf could have responded in a nicer way
to unwanted advice. That's all. This *is* RFC though, so all is normal.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 10:39:08 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> I don't agree. She was asking about what to do with a melon she already
> >> bought, not how to select a melon.
> >>

> > Thank you! It's amazing how much people want to pontificate about
> > anything except the point (mainly because they have nothing of any
> > value to say on the subject) and then get upset when their so called
> > advice isn't appreciated.
> >

> "not appreciated" and "rude" are two different things altogether.

But there are different ways to respond to un-needed advice. Better to keep
it polite.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 2, 2013 9:42:54 PM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 21:05:06 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
>
> wrote:
>

> > On Friday, August 2, 2013 11:32:02 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:

> > > Honeydew was on sale and I bought what I thought was a ripe one, but

> > > it isn't. What do you usually do when that happens? I was thinking

> > > maybe I should turn it into salad with a tangy dressing. Does that

> > > sound like a reasonable approach?

> > I sniff before I buy- no smell=no good...

> It smelled fine and what's done is done. It tastes sweet, but it's
>
> not as soft as I'd expect a fully ripe melon to be. I'm asking about
>
> what to do now. If you don't know, then your input has no value.
>

> --
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Well, FY too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 7:29:19 AM UTC-7, Gary wrote:
> sf wrote:
>

> > merryb wrote:

> > > I sniff before I buy- no smell=no good...

> > It smelled fine and what's done is done. It tastes sweet, but it's

> > not as soft as I'd expect a fully ripe melon to be. I'm asking about

> > what to do now. If you don't know, then your input has no value.

> this response brought to you by rude sf.
>

> G.

No kidding!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/3/2013 11:05 AM, Gary wrote:
> sf wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 10:39:08 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> I don't agree. She was asking about what to do with a melon she already
>>> bought, not how to select a melon.
>>>

>> Thank you! It's amazing how much people want to pontificate about
>> anything except the point (mainly because they have nothing of any
>> value to say on the subject) and then get upset when their so called
>> advice isn't appreciated.

> And my point to both of you is that sf could have responded in a nicer way
> to unwanted advice. That's all. This *is* RFC though, so all is normal.
>

> G.

Seems to me she was trying to keep it on topic. She already knew it
wasn't ripe enough. The other comments are interesting, but superfluous.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Aug 2013 21:38:26 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 8/2/2013 8:09 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 2 Aug 2013 15:51:23 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> news >>>>
>>>>

>>> won't it ripen if you leave it sit?
>>>

>> Melons ripen more after they've been cut open? If they really do,
>> that's news to me.
>>

> I'm going to try that with my latest purchase; it certainly can stand
>some ripening.

Once picked from the vine melons do not ripen... any difference you
taste in a melon sitting around is called fermentation/rot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> seems your foolishness has something to do with it, ya dope!
>>>

>> She bought a melon and it turned out not to be ripe. Most people would
>> presume that she discovered that when she cut it open. Who would have
>> thought that every single step of the process had to be explained?

>It was she that flew off the handle. I thought people could tell if a melon
>was ripe before cutting into it. It is not unusual to buy a melon and have
>it further ripen at home.

Not on this planet... once picked melons do NOT ripen.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Aug 2013 08:49:55 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 03/08/2013 12:42 AM, sf wrote:
>
>> It smelled fine and what's done is done. It tastes sweet, but it's
>> not as soft as I'd expect a fully ripe melon to be. I'm asking about
>> what to do now. If you don't know, then your input has no value.
>>

>Melons can be touch to judge. I usually look for one with a nice melon
>smell. Sometimes they are great even when they don't smell all that
>melony. Sometimes they smell great but turn out to be under ripe.

How non-committal of you.

The smell means nothing, only way to judge melon ripeness is to taste,
or use a brix meter... most produce managers will plug a melon for
you... nelons do not ripen further once harvested so plugging hurts
nothing... if you decide not to buy it can be sold cut in half. One
of the best things to do with a melon not ripened to ones taste is to
use it in smoothies... you'll never know that cantaloupe/honeydew
wasn't ripe once blended with milk, nilla ice cream, honey, even a
ripe nana and a few strawberries. I'm growing cantaloupe again this
year, no store bought melon compares to vine ripened. Market melons
are harvested green, there is no way a vine ripened melon can be
shipped.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> I sniff before I buy- no smell=no good...

I can tell by looking and by heft... if you have melons like these
beauties you'd make me very happy:
http://i41.tinypic.com/2rep5xt.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Aug 2013 11:32:02 -0700, sf > wrote:

>Honeydew was on sale and I bought what I thought was a ripe one, but
>it isn't. What do you usually do when that happens? I was thinking
>maybe I should turn it into salad with a tangy dressing. Does that
>sound like a reasonable approach?

That was my first thought. I'm thinking along the lines of Thai green
mango salad.

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, August 3, 2013 10:41:49 AM UTC-7, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> merryb wrote:
>

> > I sniff before I buy- no smell=no good...

> I can tell by looking and by heft... if you have melons like these
>
> beauties you'd make me very happy:
>
> http://i41.tinypic.com/2rep5xt.jpg

LOL- I have zucchinis that did the same thing! Since I don't care for honeydew or watermelon, don't buy them. But the smell test has always worked for me on cantelopes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 2, 2013 2:32:02 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> Honeydew was on sale and I bought what I thought was a ripe one, but
>
> it isn't. What do you usually do when that happens?

If it absolutely can't be chewed, then maybe give it a whirl in a food processor and maybe the tiny chunks can be worked into a fruit salad?

I almost passed up some half price cantaloupe today, as most felt rock hard - but then I found one which passed the push test. I'm so sick of OJ in the morning, I wanted to get some kind of melon. Found clementines too and hang the price on those. I even lucked out and found an avocado ripe enough to use tonight.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Aug 2013 10:46:40 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Friday, August 2, 2013 2:32:02 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> > Honeydew was on sale and I bought what I thought was a ripe one, but
> >
> > it isn't. What do you usually do when that happens?

> If it absolutely can't be chewed, then maybe give it a whirl in a food processor and maybe the tiny chunks can be worked into a fruit salad?

I didn't think it was awful (on the firm/crunchy side but sweet enough
for me), however hubby didn't like it. Solved the problem by giving
the rest to son & family. They aren't as picky as he is.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

If melon is either a little too ripe or not ripe enough
you can make a nice drink from it in a blender.

http://www.richardfisher.com