FoodBanter.com

-   -   Ban on cured meats from Italy partially lifted (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/425109-ban-cured-meats-italy.html)

ViLco 31-07-2013 12:41 PM

Ban on cured meats from Italy partially lifted

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3187462.html

Looks like the RFC members from USA will be able to find a lot of
interesting cured pork meats from Italy, from five regions all full of local
cold cuts. This Borri guy lists exactly the salumi I was going to recommend,
he knows what he's talking about.
There's also a nice serie of pictures and explanations about the main
salumi.

Sqwertz, I wish you to find a Coppa Piacentina somehwere, that's the king of
sandwiches. One of my staples is just thinly sliced coppa and some
gorgonzola in ciabatta bread.
--
"Un pasto senza vino e' come un giorno senza sole"
Anthelme Brillat Savarin

[email protected] 31-07-2013 05:42 PM

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:41:21 AM UTC-7, ViLco wrote:
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3187462.html
>

> Looks like the RFC members from USA will be able to find a lot of
> interesting cured pork meats from Italy, from five regions all full of local
> cold cuts. This Borri guy lists exactly the salumi I was going to recommend,
> he knows what he's talking about.
> There's also a nice serie of pictures and explanations about the main
> salumi.

Yay, Suedtiroler Speck! (Trento and Balzano)

> Sqwertz, I wish you to find a Coppa Piacentina somehwere, that's the king of
> sandwiches. One of my staples is just thinly sliced coppa and some
> gorgonzola in ciabatta bread.

Salami and provolone is what I like.

Dr. Sneck 01-08-2013 05:02 AM

Sqwertz wrote:
> That ban I haven't noticed any new cured Italian meats yet.

Are they allowed on your SNAP card?

ViLco 01-08-2013 08:30 AM

wrote:

>> Sqwertz, I wish you to find a Coppa Piacentina somehwere, that's the
>> king of sandwiches. One of my staples is just thinly sliced coppa
>> and some gorgonzola in ciabatta bread.

> Salami and provolone is what I like.

You can't go wrong :)

Roy[_2_] 01-08-2013 07:22 PM

On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:40:35 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 13:41:21 +0200, ViLco wrote:
>

> > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3187462.html

> > Looks like the RFC members from USA will be able to find a lot of

> > interesting cured pork meats from Italy, from five regions all full of local

> > cold cuts. This Borri guy lists exactly the salumi I was going to recommend,

> > he knows what he's talking about.

> > There's also a nice serie of pictures and explanations about the main

> > salumi.

> > Sqwertz, I wish you to find a Coppa Piacentina somehwere, that's the king of

> > sandwiches. One of my staples is just thinly sliced coppa and some

> > gorgonzola in ciabatta bread.

> That ban I haven't noticed any new cured Italian meats yet. There has
>
> been a few new serranos and chorisos that have hit the market somwhet
>
> recently. There used to be only 2 or 3 of each, but now there's quite
>
> a few.
>

> -sw

The reason for the original bans was because of the possibility
of importing bad hog disease pathogens because much of Italian
curing did not cook the meat properly and there was a danger in
allowing the dry cured hams into North America.

If our pigs were to be infected it could wipe out our hog
populations. This would be disastrous.

===

B. Server 08-08-2013 07:55 PM

Ban on cured meats from Italy partially lifted

On Thu, 1 Aug 2013 11:22:01 -0700 (PDT), Roy >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, July 31, 2013 2:40:35 PM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Wed, 31 Jul 2013 13:41:21 +0200, ViLco wrote:
>>

>> > http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3187462.html

>>[...]
>>

>> -sw

>The reason for the original bans was because of the possibility
>of importing bad hog disease pathogens because much of Italian
>curing did not cook the meat properly and there was a danger in
>allowing the dry cured hams into North America.
>
>If our pigs were to be infected it could wipe out our hog
>populations. This would be disastrous.
>
>===

The USDA tends to pay a whole lot more attention to the business
interests of big American producers than it does to food safety. So
it is possible that the political stars have shifted a bit given the
increased demand for high quality cured products and the increased
interest by American producers in exporting their products. The USDA
is a handy means to introduce a competition reducing tarritt under a
benign "safety" name. Once there is a competing interest by
exporters who are faced with reciprocal attitudes, we always seem to
be able to find a way to discover that it is really OK now.